Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from denni266
Any one getting wet ?

Only the inside of me. Cheers

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 112
Poojah
July 25, 2023, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from fishcake63
Eastwood been mom for me 3 or 4 extremly good saves

Yep, Eastwood was excellent and you’d assume based on the fact he got the full 90 minutes tonight, and played so well, that he’ll have possession of the shirt as we go into the season.

In many ways, a useful outing tonight - the first 60 minutes gave us the opportunity to work on our attacking shape whilst Lincoln’s changes for the last 30 gave us more of a defensive workout.

I enjoyed the style of play for the most part, and thought we scored two really good goals with the help of two clinical finishes (something we didn’t see enough of last season). The exception perhaps Vernam’s shanked open goal, but it was a nice move all the same and he did well in rounding the ‘keeper.

It also occurred to me tonight that at some point this season, a commentator, most likely JT, is going to mix up their Conteh’s and their Hunt’s and say a very rude word live on air. When the inevitable happens, my inner 13-year old (who still does most of my critical thinking tbf) is going to find that mightily amusing.

Enjoyable watch. Can’t ask for much more than that from a pre-season friendly.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 112
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 25, 2023, 9:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from denni266
Any one getting wet ?

I’m excited but it was only a friendly.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 112
denni266
July 25, 2023, 9:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132

I’m excited but it was only a friendly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 112
gtfc_chris
July 25, 2023, 9:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Really enjoyed that game.

The first hour showcased some lovely football and we were head and shoulders the better side. You can make your own judgements about youth/trialists etc and I'm of the belief it does make life easier but you still have to make the ball work for you.

Regardless of the standard I really liked the manner in which we went about things and I think there was a lot more intricacy and relationships on show than last season. Just that little bit more 'in-tune' when trying to progress forward and an air of control and comfort playing across the back into midfield.

I'm expecting the first game at Wimbledon to be more tough and we'll certainly have to earn our points this season but if that's a marker for how we aim to go about our business then I think we should get some exciting games at BP, I definitely hope so at least.

Two notes within the game that threw up some cautions; Rodgers and Maher at times came well out from the back line to press and win the ball. Personally I love that and hope we keep at it but I think teams with quick attackers who move the ball fast may find that a worthwhile avenue to exploit. Naturally I have utmost trust that PH knows exactly what he's doing and what the 'safety' is in that manner of defending.

The second one was how the pace and rhythm changed when Lincoln brought on their first teamers. Whether that was partially by design to adopt a different strategy to see the game out and conserve energy or whether Lincoln gained the upper hand on ability alone it did bring a sense of reality that good as the first hour was the game isn't going to be that easy throughout the 90 minutes.

Final one for me is echoing what others have already said about Eastwood. Really enjoyed his second half performance and can't really argue with those who've submitted him as MoM. Hard to pick as good performances all over but just his general availability to play out, his reading of the game and the decisions alongside that coupled with some great saves suggests he's nothing like the keeper Rochdale fans seem to paint him as and hopefully he can keep that level up. If he does then he could establish himself very much a fans favourite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 112
moosey_club
July 25, 2023, 9:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,260
Gold Stars: 226
Positives - Mullarkey, Conteh, Hunt, Eastwood, Maher, Rodgers, Eisa , Glennon all looked good tonight and pretty comfortable to have the ball even when under pressure

Middling - Clifton, didn't influence alot for me this evening. Rose a little isolated,  worked but didn't look too threatening in himself ( caveat...my feed to the game froze just before his goal so no idea how he scored )

Negative - Vernam looked ineffective other than a few minutes around his scuffed chance when he rounded the keeper.

I guess Lincolns board will be full of ..."its only their second string excuses " then..

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 112
Poojah
July 25, 2023, 9:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from moosey_club
Rose a little isolated,  worked but didn't look too threatening in himself ( caveat...my feed to the game froze just before his goal so no idea how he scored )

It was a really smart finish, smashed across the goal from just inside the box (or at least that’s my recollection of it).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 112
gtfc98
July 25, 2023, 9:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
How strong a Lincoln side was that?

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 112
moosey_club
July 25, 2023, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,260
Gold Stars: 226
Have had two payment acknowledgements through from the service provider for tonight's PPV...separate transaction numbers both for a £5 ...anyone else had same ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 112
heppy88
July 25, 2023, 9:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
As others have said it was "only" a friendly, although it was played at the tempo and intensity of a competitive fixture. But   that was an entertaining match and Town were impressive. I don't use that word lightly. There was a confidence and swagger in their play, that it was hard to believe many of the players have only been playing together for a few weeks. You would have honestly thought we were the league one team, such was the way we out performed them in all areas of play, especially during the first half. Yes I know it was only a friendly, but i've a really good feeling about the coming season and think were in for a hell of a ride. UTM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Lincoln

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.