This thread currently has 3,247 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
FairGameUK1
July 14, 2023, 6:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +20
Hi Mariners fans,

I'm from Fair Game UK, and we've ranked all 92 Premier and EFL clubs on their financial sustainability, equality standards, governance, and fan engagement.

Learn more about the ranking and why it's needed here: https://twitter.com/FairGameUK/status/1678097181277036544?s=20

In short, the idea is that well-run clubs would get a greater share of funds distributed by the proposed Independent Regulator for English Football.

Find out how Grimsby did and how much increased funding they would get when we publish on Monday the 17th of July. Register here to be the first to get results: https://www.fairgameuk.org/fair-game-index-2023

We might not be able to respond to this thread until next week, but hope you'll take a look at the ranking on Monday.

All the best,

Fair Game UK
Logged Offline
Private Message
FairGameUK1
July 14, 2023, 6:05pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +20
In short, the idea is that well-run clubs would get a greater share of funds distributed by the proposed Independent Regulator for English Football.

Find out how Grimsby did and how much increased funding they would get when we publish on Monday the 17th of July.

Register here to be the first to get results: https://www.fairgameuk.org/fair-game-index-2023

Mark, from Fair Game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
pen penfras
July 15, 2023, 8:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
So the definition of fair is to give some people more based on arbitrary criteria that you define? Sounds the exact opposite of fair to me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
lew chaterleys lover
July 15, 2023, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from pen penfras
So the definition of fair is to give some people more based on arbitrary criteria that you define? Sounds the exact opposite of fair to me

I agree. Moments in time and all that, and far too many nuances to make judgements like that.

You might judge something on financial prudence, and incredibly we might have come top of a table judged on that under Fenty, quietly forgetting he let the stadium the training ground and the infrastructure fall into disrepair.

Most clubs are in a state of flux of some sort, so how to play God to judge what is a fair play index seems ridiculous to me.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
ex-merseymariner
July 15, 2023, 8:52am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Wow, a national organisation, that gtfc are signed up to, join here, post something and the 1st two responses are negative!

This is something our club and particularly our fan elected director endorse.  

It's something trying to change how modern football is run ffs.

I can't see anything but positives with it.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
BrMarin
July 15, 2023, 8:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
All clubs in the same division should get the same money. Should a club like Spurs be given more money than Sheffield United just because they make millions from their massive new stadium?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
lew chaterleys lover
July 15, 2023, 9:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
Wow, a national organisation, that gtfc are signed up to, join here, post something and the 1st two responses are negative!

This is something our club and particularly our fan elected director endorse.  

It's something trying to change how modern football is run ffs.

I can't see anything but positives with it.

It may be an honest attempt to make football fairer or to judge clubs, and the owners may well be very supportive of it, but it's not negative to give an opinion on whether it is workable or viable. Most Town fans are behind the transformation of the club, but that does not mean agreeing positively with everything they do or stand for. I see Cambridge came top of the table in this, but I don't think they will be organising an open top bus parade around the city.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
ex-merseymariner
July 15, 2023, 2:51pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
The results aren't out til monday?

And open top bus comment is ridiculous.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
mike_d
July 16, 2023, 11:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
They're out. I'm pleased to see we do well at governance, not surprised our financial sustainability is average, our equality standards score can only improve, but the fan engagement score is nearly the worst in the division - what are these scores based upon?

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
jamesgtfc
July 17, 2023, 9:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from mike_d
They're out. I'm pleased to see we do well at governance, not surprised our financial sustainability is average, our equality standards score can only improve, but the fan engagement score is nearly the worst in the division - what are these scores based upon?

One of the Fair Game principles is that the badge shouldn't be changed without fan consultation. Fans forums aren't as often as they could/should be, but then we engage well with fans really well in other aspects. 2 Trust members on the board, children designing the third kit every year, regular media/podcast appearances from the board. It also talks about the role of the SLO being that link between fans, police and clubs as per UEFA guidelines in that section, and there has been a lot of criticism regarding how easily we roll over to kick off changes, so maybe that has a bearing on it too?

I suppose the irregularity of fans forums and the badge change (although almost 2 years ago) potentially impact that.

It would be interesting for the club to confirm why it's so low, and what the likes of AFC Wimbledon are doing in this area.

Finances, we are losing money so it was never going to rank highly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fair Game Index

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.