6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Manchester Mariner
July 1, 2023, 12:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
There's a friend of a friend on Facebook who seems quite concerned about this although he's also very into chem trails in the sky, the deep state and all the 'cultural marxists taking over', he's even been railing against the cruelty of guide dogs.

I'm not fussed myself. I have my debit card and a twenty note in my wallet at all times. Haven't gone as far as having some sort of payment app on my phone as yet but we'll see.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
pen penfras
July 1, 2023, 1:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from elduderinoUTM

What are you talking about? All money that isn't cash is credit? News to me.

Rather than make uninformed, sarcastic comments, watch 97% owned that I mentioned before. If you watch that and understand how the economy actually works, you'll understand what I'm saying and that actually, the answer to your question is technically yes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 1, 2023, 1:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
There's a friend of a friend on Facebook who seems quite concerned about this although he's also very into chem trails in the sky, the deep state and all the 'cultural marxists taking over', he's even been railing against the cruelty of guide dogs.

I'm not fussed myself. I have my debit card and a twenty note in my wallet at all times. Haven't gone as far as having some sort of payment app on my phone as yet but we'll see.

Yes, I blame the guide dogs..

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
Blundellite
July 1, 2023, 1:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
Admin this is now non footy!!!
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
Maringer
July 1, 2023, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,538
Gold Stars: 185
Christ. Somebody mentioned the WHO in the same sentence as controlling lives. I didn't realise we were in that whacky part of the Internet. We'll be getting told that the UN is coming for our golf courses next.

Here's a link to an article published by the Bank of England which back in 2014 which explains how money is created in a fiat currency such as Sterling:

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/quarterly-bulletin/2014/q1/money-creation-in-the-modern-economy

The banks create a lot of money through loans and mortgages, because the UK government (which owns the Bank of England, of course) grants them a licence to do so. The rest is spent into existence by the government. Sterling is functionally nothing more than UK government debt.

Whenever you hear a politician (of any stripe) talk about the country not being able to afford something, they are either ignorant or lying. The government can spend what it wants on anything it wants as long as it is Sterling which is being spent. The money is spent into existence from thin air. Whether that is a good idea or not depends on what it is being spent on. If you ever hear a politician talking about "tax-payers' money", they are similarly either lying or ignorant (usually the latter).

There are good reasons to have cash and it was expected to be around for many more years before everything became digital, but the pandemic caused a big shift and it has shown people just how easy cashless society can be. For those who struggle with money, it would be ideal if, instead of a card, you had something like a 'money stick' or something similar which had a readout to show you your balance and what had been spent. Phone apps can do this to some degree, but it's not ideal and, if of course, the poorest in society may struggle to be able to afford a phone or even get a bank account set up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
Madeleymariner
July 1, 2023, 3:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from GYinScuntland
Many seem happy with this cashless society were drifting towards but I'm an old cynic and trust no one.
Ignoring the fact that the days giving the grandchildren a fiver in their hands when they come to visit or dropping a pound in the tin of a homeless person or charity collector will be gone, I can see sinister implications in the future.
Who's to say your cards can't be declined if you've bought too much petrol, alcohol, junk food etc.
These lockdowns have given us a taste of how we can be controlled and given others an idea of how compliant we can all be.
I look at it from all sides. Of course I use my cards when I choose and I also use cash when I choose,  thats the whole point, choice.
But when I look and think I just see the thin end of the wedge getting thicker.

Spot On,

And to add to what Pen was saying about Companies/Banks making money. Friday wife decided to pick up paint for the bathroom to be done today. Checked website local DIY mega company had it in and decided to do the old click and collect (In case it gets sold)and I would pick it up this morning, but having put in the requirements it said would you like free delivery of your items tomorrow am,  as your spending over £100. So she said yes please completed the payment stuff and immediately received an email/text whatever to say they can deliver some of the goods but the paint wont be available till Weds. Obviously she cancelled the order, but although the money left her a/c the minute she said YES, she will have to wait at least 5 working days for a refund. Nice little earner for the company. Big business and banks are taking us for chumps and it will only get worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
DB
July 1, 2023, 3:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
I agree with you there. When you buy they take the cash out of your account immediately, but when you want a refund it takes them days even when it's their error. "Sorry" is 5 letters and meaningless in today's business world.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 1, 2023, 5:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,842
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from DB
I agree with you there. When you buy they take the cash out of your account immediately, but when you want a refund it takes them days even when it's their error. "Sorry" is 5 letters and meaningless in today's business world.

Same with a cash refund, instant but anything else it’s a bureaucratic nightmare.

I get the part that it’s safer for business to hold less cash on their premises, but, without the need for cash, there isn’t a real need for banks on the high st anymore is there? Likewise company's and businesses that rely on cash (window cleaners, street vendors, Latvian car wash etc) are then having to maybe bow down to the high and mighty and HAVE to use other forms of payment

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
Maringer
July 1, 2023, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,538
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from DB

Not to defend dodgy companies, but that's just a function of how the banking system works. Payments from customers are taken immediately and the funds are transferred to the seller by the end of the day. On the other hand, refunds from retailers may be processed immediately (and are the deducted from their balance by the end of the day), but often take a few days thereafter to actually be refunded to the customer. Necessary checks, supposedly, though I'm not sure why immediate payments can be taken but immediate refunds aren't possible!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
Norseman
July 1, 2023, 11:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
What happens when the banks close your account down if you disagree with their ideology .No chance of paying for anything
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cashless stadiums

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.