6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
LN8Mariner
July 3, 2023, 9:06pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 9
Jamal Blackman has just signed for Burton… might be a blow for Crocombe so soon?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
July 3, 2023, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from LN8Mariner
Jamal Blackman has just signed for Burton… might be a blow for Crocombe so soon?

They obviously got the best financial offer, but why would anyone sign for Burton, Crocombe and Blackman included?

They are the archetypal non-league club who have had a fantastic run, but really it is a footballing backwater and who wants to play their football there?

Money rules but if I were a professional footballer I would give a lot of consideration to the history, the ambition and the level and intensity of support more than seems to be the case in a lot of transfers, assuming any other clubs wanted them, of course.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
jamesgtfc
July 3, 2023, 9:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190

They obviously got the best financial offer, but why would anyone sign for Burton, Crocombe and Blackman included?

They are the archetypal non-league club who have had a fantastic run, but really it is a footballing backwater and who wants to play their football there?

Money rules but if I were a professional footballer I would give a lot of consideration to the history, the ambition and the level and intensity of support more than seems to be the case in a lot of transfers.

It's easy to say that when it's not your job. It's a short career so you have to think about the £ notes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
LN8Mariner
July 3, 2023, 9:57pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It's easy to say that when it's not your job. It's a short career so you have to think about the £ notes.

Agree with this but it could be an interesting one in this case if he was "sold" his contract on being number 1 and now he has probably become number 2 just a few days later. Might not make a happy bunny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
July 3, 2023, 10:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I covered all that in my post. Money rules, but if "I" were a professional player it would not be all about money, because I am not a money-minded person, and I would rather go to a club with a richer history and support.

How much extra do you think little Burton Albion would be paying anyway? It's not going to be a king's ransom, is it?
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
forza ivano
July 3, 2023, 10:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265

I covered all that in my post. Money rules, but if "I" were a professional player it would not be all about money, because I am not a money-minded person, and I would rather go to a club with a richer history and support.

How much extra do you think little Burton Albion would be paying anyway? It's not going to be a king's ransom, is it?

But they gave him a 2 year contract ( we only offered 1 ) hes closer to home n no doubt got something of a pay rise
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
Poojah
July 3, 2023, 10:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,502

If not money, what do you propose he (or anyone else) puts food on the table and a roof over his family’s head with?

I get the argument that money’s not everything when players who already have an 8 figure net worth opt to sacrifice some of the best years of their career to play in some shíthole in China or Saudi Arabia for no other reason than to further inflate their own wealth, but Max Crocombe going to Burton Albion is a million miles from that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
July 3, 2023, 10:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

But they gave him a 2 year contract ( we only offered 1 ) hes closer to home n no doubt got something of a pay rise

Where does he live? The last I heard he lived in Habrough, near Immingham.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
jamesgtfc
July 3, 2023, 10:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190

For a start, they offered the security of a 2 year deal compared to the 1 year we offered him.

2 years ago, the week of our final friendly of pre-season away to Boston, Crocombe was about to sign for them on a one year deal. We came in at the 11th hour and doubled his money. Their wage bill in 2021/22 was £4.6m compared to our £3.1m. Last season, I imagine that gap was closed a little but I would still imagine Burton to pay a bit more than us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
July 3, 2023, 10:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

If not money, what do you propose he (or anyone else) puts food on the table and a roof over his family’s head with?

I get the argument that money’s not everything when players who already have an 8 figure net worth opt to sacrifice some of the best years of their career to play in some shíthole in China or Saudi Arabia for no other reason than to further inflate their own wealth, but Max Crocombe going to Burton Albion is a million miles from that.

Good grief. He is not going to be going to Food banks, is he? Even part-time he would get a decent wedge; every professional club will pay reasonable money to keep the wolf from the door, I was just musing why he would choose Burton. Perhaps it was the only offer he got.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Max Crocombe

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.