6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
June 30, 2023, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Couple of unwarranted digs above. From his recent interview it came across as if Hurst was looking for better, and even if that was a mere sound bite then if the lad’s had the opportunity to sign a longer contract elsewhere on better money then who can begrudge him?

People can point to his fairly unillustrious career so far and sneer at this move if they like, but that only serves to reinforce the point. He’s a footballer in his thirties who hasn’t made a lot of money out of the game; if he’s had the opportunity to earn a little bit more than he would have here (and we don’t even know if that’s the case), then he’s done 100% the right thing for himself, as he should.

He did well for us and played a meaningful role in getting us back into the league. I for one wish him well.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
Grim up north
June 30, 2023, 9:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +689
Gold Stars: 1
Great servant and will be missed but a bit sour the way he left for me. Rumour was he on his way weeks before the end of the season, then he leaves and hints to it being the fact he isn’t guaranteed top spot. Fast forward he signs for a club in the league above, like that’s not been on the cards and sorted a good while. All for him sorting himself a good deal but don’t turn it as if you didn’t want it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
immariner
June 30, 2023, 10:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Poojah
Couple of unwarranted digs above. From his recent interview it came across as if Hurst was looking for better, and even if that was a mere sound bite then if the lad’s had the opportunity to sign a longer contract elsewhere on better money then who can begrudge him?

People can point to his fairly unillustrious career so far and sneer at this move if they like, but that only serves to reinforce the point. He’s a footballer in his thirties who hasn’t made a lot of money out of the game; if he’s had the opportunity to earn a little bit more than he would have here (and we don’t even know if that’s the case), then he’s done 100% the right thing for himself, as he should.

He did well for us and played a meaningful role in getting us back into the league. I for one wish him well.

A smidge under 30 but yeah, can't begrudge him really if it's more money and/or longer contract and/or wanting to test himself at a higher level. The life of a lower league footballer and a short career
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
toontown
June 30, 2023, 11:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Well done max, don't begrudge him the move at all, esp as looks like it was a mutual decision to part ways. Made some great saves AND distributions AND an assist in that playoff campaign so he owes us nowt.

Good luck Max!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
forza ivano
July 1, 2023, 12:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,185
Gold Stars: 265
Exactly - i know 2 or 3 of his team mates from the Buckingham /Oxford days n they are made up for him. He's worked bloody hard to achieve what he has. He took his chance at Gy, n played nearly 70 games without a meaningful break. Got back in the NZ squad n then had PH telling him he wouldnt be 1st choice and only offering him a 1 year deal, whereas everyone else is getting 2-3 year deals.
no criticism of PH ,but you cant blame Max for looking elsewhere.
I hope he goes from strength to strength, he deserves it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
moosey_club
July 1, 2023, 12:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,260
Gold Stars: 226
Max ... thank you.
Never mind last season, as I believed he definitely dipped in form...
But previously ...he waited in the wings...grabbed his opportunity, quite literally, when it came and made a huge difference.
His command of his area and distribution not only was great to see after a number of seasons of the "stay at home" Mckeown..but gave a visible lift to the back four. The hesitancy, unsureness  of the defence disappeared. His time wasting skills will always be remembered.
Pretty sure he can also claim an assist in the Notts County play off game.
I for one will be looking forward to applauding him next time our paths cross.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
CSLM
July 1, 2023, 2:39am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +641
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Poojah

Totally agree with you mate.

Earlier on in the season I thought we'd have been losing him to a championship club the way he was playing.

Massively dropped off later on but I will be very happy if we get consistently better than Max.

Timewasting was a  bit to early on occasions but you've gotta love him.....

Good luck
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
DB
July 1, 2023, 5:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Good luck to him, he took his chances over the last few years and has progressed to League 1.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
dapperz fun pub
July 1, 2023, 6:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,939
Gold Stars: 82
Everything is about improving the club , for me he was better than macca and hopefully hurst gets better than max and we keep moving forward
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
lukeo
July 1, 2023, 7:25am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Good luck Max

He moves on

We move on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Max Crocombe

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.