June 25, 2023, 6:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178
Some things I’ve noticed over the weekend :

Flares: being let off at Glastonbury but no cops/rentacop wading in to get them

Pi55ed at games: watched the rugby league on Friday and there was a bloke smashed out of his head (couldn’t stand) the stewards, fair play to them, were trying to help him. Not being heavy handed

Standing: at the cricket, loads of people standing and singing but not one of them being told to sit down

Drugs: I was at the Cheltenham festival In 2018 and ‘lads’ were snorting off any surface (even the floor) they could. Police and stewards turned a blind eye

Always treated like the scum of the earth

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Poojah
June 25, 2023, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,559
Gold Stars: 1,500
Leaked footage from a recent Nottinghamshire police training exercise appears to show officers preparing for the arrival of the Town faithful on 12th August.

https://youtu.be/OF8TSHN-JDA

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
ska face
June 25, 2023, 8:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Some things I’ve noticed over the weekend :

Flares: being let off at Glastonbury but no cops/rentacop wading in to get them

Pi55ed at games: watched the rugby league on Friday and there was a bloke smashed out of his head (couldn’t stand) the stewards, fair play to them, were trying to help him. Not being heavy handed

Standing: at the cricket, loads of people standing and singing but not one of them being told to sit down

Drugs: I was at the Cheltenham festival In 2018 and ‘lads’ were snorting off any surface (even the floor) they could. Police and stewards turned a blind eye

Always treated like the scum of the earth

You should read this book -

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Vk2nqMDF/IMG-9354.jpg[/img]

I’d lend you it but I think it’s stored in the mother-in-law’s spare room, and I aren’t going round there.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 25, 2023, 11:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

You should read this book -

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Vk2nqMDF/IMG-9354.jpg[/img]

I’d lend you it but I think it’s stored in the mother-in-law’s spare room, and I aren’t going round there.

Can you drop it in when we’re over next week 😂

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
aldi_01
June 26, 2023, 12:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think we have to look at a wider picture and also take into consideration that class and status to some degree most definitely plays a part in the representation of sport and what surrounds them.

Whatever any other sport may claim, football is the biggest and most watched. Statistically, you’re gonna attack morons and rightly so, they’re dealt with.

The bigger issue is the unnecessary persecution, mythology and flimsy at best alleged intelligence that factors into policing and crowd control at football.

You mention flares/smoke bombs. Two very different things with two very different purposes and effects but they’re lumped together. We’re told people die from them, it’s not true. You’re as likely to die falling over a seat at BP and banging your head. If people died from smoke bombs for instance, every weekend across Europe there’d be deaths, there isn’t. However, as we saw with Brexit, the election, Covid to some degree, people will believe anything.

Cricket, a sport that, for many is an excuse for day drinking, almost encouraged, has its fair share of idiots and the likes but the approach is much more pragmatic and sensible.

Rugby, ah yes, the sport everyone seems to place on high regard…union, a middle class sport, football could learn a lot, all that balderdash. Bullshit, it has its issues. We’ll ignore the blatant cheating scandals and the financial mismanagement, that’s only a football problem apparently and we’ll give it the whole ‘player by gentleman’ bullshit.

A close friend had the displeasure of attending a game at Twickenham, it kicked off in the pub between some slip on wearing, bitter drinking Hoorah Henry’s. He expected old bill to barge in, Nick em and that would be the end of their day…only that didn’t happen and they were simply sent in different directions.

Remember the massive brawls at race meetings? How many banning orders?

There’s a double standard, and whilst I want idiots and bigots banned, the way football is portrayed, policed and managed is horrific.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Rick12
June 26, 2023, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01

There’s a double standard, and whilst I want idiots and bigots banned, the way football is portrayed, policed and managed is horrific.

Some valid points but I also feel more people follow/ attend football than other sports which means sometimes more trouble.

There have been cases where known football teams have a core element of hooligans  who have no interest in football but just see it as a excuse to have a scrap with rival fans.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 26, 2023, 9:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12

Some valid points but I also feel more people follow/ attend football than other sports which means sometimes more trouble.

There have been cases where known football teams have a core element of hooligans  who have no interest in football but just see it as a excuse to have a scrap with rival fans.

Reminds me of the old adage:

‘ I went to watch a fight the other day and a game of ice hockey broke out’

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Rick12
June 26, 2023, 9:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Reminds me of the old adage:

‘ I went to watch a fight the other day and a game of ice hockey broke out’
Just a shame some people can't watch a game without the need to resort to violence. When you see violence in football be it outside or in the ground isn't nice to see eg busted up noses and the like  .

There have been cases of people in respected jobs during the week eg solicitors turning into a savage at the weekend organising and participating in football violence .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 26, 2023, 9:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from aldi_01
I think we have to look at a wider picture and also take into consideration that class and status to some degree most definitely plays a part in the representation of sport and what surrounds them.

Whatever any other sport may claim, football is the biggest and most watched. Statistically, you’re gonna attack morons and rightly so, they’re dealt with.

The bigger issue is the unnecessary persecution, mythology and flimsy at best alleged intelligence that factors into policing and crowd control at football.

You mention flares/smoke bombs. Two very different things with two very different purposes and effects but they’re lumped together. We’re told people die from them, it’s not true. You’re as likely to die falling over a seat at BP and banging your head. If people died from smoke bombs for instance, every weekend across Europe there’d be deaths, there isn’t. However, as we saw with Brexit, the election, Covid to some degree, people will believe anything.

Cricket, a sport that, for many is an excuse for day drinking, almost encouraged, has its fair share of idiots and the likes but the approach is much more pragmatic and sensible.

Rugby, ah yes, the sport everyone seems to place on high regard…union, a middle class sport, football could learn a lot, all that balderdash. Bullshit, it has its issues. We’ll ignore the blatant cheating scandals and the financial mismanagement, that’s only a football problem apparently and we’ll give it the whole ‘player by gentleman’ bullshit.

A close friend had the displeasure of attending a game at Twickenham, it kicked off in the pub between some slip on wearing, bitter drinking Hoorah Henry’s. He expected old bill to barge in, Nick em and that would be the end of their day…only that didn’t happen and they were simply sent in different directions.

Remember the massive brawls at race meetings? How many banning orders?

It's interesting that you rail against bigots and morons but your 'facts' are not entirely correct and your language is far from balanced:

A supporter was killed watching a Wales (football) international about 5 years ago in Cardiff - I can only vaguely recall the circumstances but I believe a 'rocket' of some type was shot across a stand and it hit a spectator who subsequently died from his injuries. Your assertion that 'we're told people die from them, it's not true' is incorrect.

Describing a rugby union supporter as a 'slip on wearing, bitter drinking, Hoorah Henry' is as prejudiced and biased as describing a football supporter as a skinheaded, lager drinking lout.

I agree with the basic tenet of your argument but better understanding and more moderation works both ways.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
Poojah
June 26, 2023, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,559
Gold Stars: 1,500

It's interesting that you rail against bigots and morons but your 'facts' are not entirely correct and your language is far from balanced:

A supporter was killed watching a Wales (football) international about 5 years ago in Cardiff - I can only vaguely recall the circumstances but I believe a 'rocket' of some type was shot across a stand and it hit a spectator who subsequently died from his injuries. Your assertion that 'we're told people die from them, it's not true' is incorrect.

Describing a rugby union supporter as a 'slip on wearing, bitter drinking, Hoorah Henry' is as prejudiced and biased as describing a football supporter as a skinheaded, lager drinking lout.

I agree with the basic tenet of your argument but better understanding and more moderation works both ways.

About 5 years ago? It was 1993.

https://www.independent.co.uk/.....g-match-1505057.html

Strange how time flies, innit.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Football support v general public

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.