Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrewsbury after Hurst?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 119 Guests

Shrewsbury after Hurst?

This thread currently has 4,609 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Belfast Town
June 7, 2023, 8:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,691
Gold Stars: 19
Seemingly, lots of Shrewsbury fans want Paul back, after sacking Steve Cotterill!

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/06/06/five-managers-shrewsbury-town-could-target-opinion/

A non-starter I think/hope!
Logged Offline
Private Message
chaos33
June 7, 2023, 8:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Dunno why but just can’t see Paul wanting to leave us for them once again. He might even deem it dishonourable. Geography/family would be key in my opinion plus the regime we have in place here must be much more of an anchor. They’re at a higher level - sure, but I see us as a bigger, better supported club and he’s very much in the middle of his work here with about as much job security and backing that managers can expect. Just my view, but don’t see this as particularly likely.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
Theimperialcoroner
June 7, 2023, 8:12am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,212
Gold Stars: 102
Does Doig know though?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
Rodley Mariner
June 7, 2023, 8:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Circumstances are very different to last time he went. We're very stable and he's well supported by owners I suspect he likes and trusts. Shrewsbury have just sacked Cotterill after finishing 12th. Not sure if there's more to it but seems very harsh when you look at who finished above them. Not sure where they expect a new manager to get them to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
Rick12
June 7, 2023, 8:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
I think if the money is right anyone would go to pastures new. Having said that easier said than done as you have to prove yourself first be it as player or manager.

I see Cristiano Ronaldo is on 108.7 million a year at the new Saudi club he joined. Incredible amount of money but fair play to the lad. Has ability and maximised it through hard work and sacrifice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/65471162

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
Abdul19
June 7, 2023, 8:48am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,564
Gold Stars: 216
I think the lure of the Saudi Riyal would be too much for Hurst to turn down.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
Rick12
June 7, 2023, 8:54am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
I think the lure of the Saudi Riyal would be too much for Hurst to turn down.
Its going to be interesting how Hurst's career pans out. In football as in life your going to get failures as success is not a upward trajectory.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
OddShapedBalls
June 7, 2023, 9:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
El General is under contract, they can pay us a massive wodge of cash to release him and then we can just ask Field Marshall Buckley to do another stint ..........feels a bit harsh to get rid of the manager after finishing 12th in league 1, there's plenty of clubs would dream of that sort of position!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
Rick12
June 7, 2023, 9:06am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
El General is under contract, they can pay us a massive wodge of cash to release him and then we can just ask Field Marshall Buckley to do another stint ..........feels a bit harsh to get rid of the manager after finishing 12th in league 1, there's plenty of clubs would dream of that sort of position!

A good insight into management if you haven't checked it out already and one I really enjoyed was Alex Fergusons autobiography managing my life.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manag.....Caps%2C74&sr=8-4

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
OddShapedBalls
June 7, 2023, 9:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Rick12

A good insight into management if you haven't checked it out already and one I really enjoyed was Alex Fergusons autobiography managing my life.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manag.....Caps%2C74&sr=8-4

Not read that one, I'll check it out!  Another interesting insight into management - albeit from a different sport- is Warren Gatlands 'pride and passion'.  The bit where he's Ireland coach and begging for a £5k scrum machine the IRFU deem too expensive having just blown £150k on the board members living it large in Rome for a weekend felt very Fenty-esque!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 7, 2023, 11:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Not read that one, I'll check it out!  Another interesting insight into management - albeit from a different sport- is Warren Gatlands 'pride and passion'.  The bit where he's Ireland coach and begging for a £5k scrum machine the IRFU deem too expensive having just blown £150k on the board members living it large in Rome for a weekend felt very Fenty-esque!

When’s a scrum machine ever got you etc etc etc……..

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 7, 2023, 11:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,282
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Circumstances are very different to last time he went. We're very stable and he's well supported by owners I suspect he likes and trusts. Shrewsbury have just sacked Cotterill after finishing 12th. Not sure if there's more to it but seems very harsh when you look at who finished above them. Not sure where they expect a new manager to get them to.

I read the BBC report and it seemed to imply there was more to it without being explicit. The chairman said something about safeguarding the club so either Cotterill has done something naughty or his salary was too big a drain on the finances.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Meza
June 7, 2023, 12:41pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,641
Gold Stars: 50

I read the BBC report and it seemed to imply there was more to it without being explicit. The chairman said something about safeguarding the club so either Cotterill has done something naughty or his salary was too big a drain on the finances.

There are claims that Cotterill was bullying apparently but that was on that link about Shrews fans wanting PH again.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
RonMariner
June 7, 2023, 2:15pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,731
Gold Stars: 226
Hands off Hurst.

They are welcome to Holloway though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 7, 2023, 2:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,282
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Meza

There are claims that Cotterill was bullying apparently but that was on that link about Shrews fans wanting PH again.

Hmm...I did think the use of 'safeguarding' suggested something a bit deeper.

But I have no idea what the truth is.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
Mikey_345
June 7, 2023, 2:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Honestly, I don't think they've got a cat in hell's chance. Paul Hurst is probably in one of the safest jobs in the industry at the moment - not in terms of maybe blind loyalty with no pressure to succeed but the owners are pragmatic and reasonable, they aren't the sort to fall into the usual fickleness of some owners sacking managers.

It's also not  2016 anymore and John Fenty is long gone which, lets be honest, was probably reason number 1, 2 and 3 of why he left in the first place. He is backed and supported massively, more so than getting the odd portacabin - just look at the off field staffing levels for him to utilise now, the investment in recruitment and infrastructure. The bloke has the chance to build something with a level of support that many don't get. With all due respect to Shrewsbury, I think it takes a much bigger proposition to tempt him away from here.

Another possible thing to consider, after Ipswich, Scunthorpe and being the manager when we went down (I'd argue all have mitigating circumstances) you could say he might be rebuilding his career slightly, if so he'd probably be abit careful at jumping in somewhere else with no guarantees that would go well and he's back at square one - especially after they've sacked a good manager that did ok for them.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
Mariner_09
June 7, 2023, 3:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Mikey_345
Honestly, I don't think they've got a cat in hell's chance. Paul Hurst is probably in one of the safest jobs in the industry at the moment - not in terms of maybe blind loyalty with no pressure to succeed but the owners are pragmatic and reasonable, they aren't the sort to fall into the usual fickleness of some owners sacking managers.

It's also not  2016 anymore and John Fenty is long gone which, lets be honest, was probably reason number 1, 2 and 3 of why he left in the first place. He is backed and supported massively, more so than getting the odd portacabin - just look at the off field staffing levels for him to utilise now, the investment in recruitment and infrastructure. The bloke has the chance to build something with a level of support that many don't get. With all due respect to Shrewsbury, I think it takes a much bigger proposition to tempt him away from here.

Another possible thing to consider, after Ipswich, Scunthorpe and being the manager when we went down (I'd argue all have mitigating circumstances) you could say he might be rebuilding his career slightly, if so he'd probably be abit careful at jumping in somewhere else with no guarantees that would go well and he's back at square one - especially after they've sacked a good manager that did ok for them.

I certainly think he probably feels he needs to rebuild his reputation as a League manager. Despite the success at Shrewsbury, he has only ever been promoted from non league.

Is Shrewsbury even that much of a step up as well? I doubt he'd command that much bigger salary and once he factors in the added cost of either moving to Shropshire or commuting further every day, the relative gains could be marginal. Shrewsbury are probably at the peak of what is achievable for them. He performed a minor miracle in getting them to the Playoff Final, and probably left because he knew, win or lose, he'd never replicate it the following season. With us, he has the scope to take the club further forward, both in terms of on the pitch and off the pitch infrastructure and leave behind a proper legacy and probably cement a legendary status, especially if he got us promoted again.

If he was to leave he'd effectively putting himself back on the managerial merry-go-round. He's not daft, he'll see all that and I think it would be unwise for him to move to somewhere like Shrewsbury now, or indeed, in the short to medium term.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Marinerdan
June 7, 2023, 4:10pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Interesting that Shrewsbury are looking for a ‘head coach’ rather than a manger. I get the impression Hurst is much more hands on and wants to be in charge of all the aspects of the football side. Can’t see this happening at all.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
Maringer
June 7, 2023, 4:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,564
Gold Stars: 185
Given the connotations, you'd hope that the use of the word 'safeguarding' in this case isn't relating to the commonplace modern usage of the word.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
Wiley2405
June 7, 2023, 4:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Are there any odds floating around for their next manager can’t seem to find any
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
moosey_club
June 7, 2023, 6:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Have they changed owners ? Pretty sure when Hurst left there was a few words said about the nature of the departure??

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
Poojah
June 7, 2023, 6:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,608
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from moosey_club
Have they changed owners ? Pretty sure when Hurst left there was a few words said about the nature of the departure??

Shades of Slade mkI; lost the play-off final after looking nailed-on for automatic promotion most of the season, then promptly left for a club in the division above and took a handful of their better players with him.

Slade’s reasons for leaving were entirely justified when all came out in the wash (he wouldn’t be the last victim of Fenty’s bait and switch contract negotiation tactics), and it could be argued that Hurst wasn’t in a position to turn down Ipswich either, but I think both left a bitter taste in the mouths of their respective former fanbases.

Shrewsbury remain under the same ownership.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
Mappers
June 7, 2023, 7:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
I was bored last night so listened to 'The Salop ' podcast to see if Hurst was mentioned ,he was most would have him back in a heartbeat .

They realise it's more likely they are cutting their cloth and  Aaron Wilbraham will be made permanent manager .

The chairman is an 80 odd year old bloke who has been their chief custodian for a number of years but without outside investment wants to tighten the purse strings, according to the podcast hosts he is very much of the 'old school ' sort of owner .

I can't see it happening in a million years - leaving an upwardly mobile club with modern ownership ,investment and stability for one that's penny pinching and just looking to survive .

The irony is Shrewsbury sound exactly like we used to be , I see them dropping down in the near future without arr  Paul at the helm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
HertsGTFC
June 7, 2023, 7:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from moosey_club

The owner is the same, but the CEO who slagged OH off in the press has gone apparently.

I’d be amazed if this happened.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
fishboyUTM
June 7, 2023, 8:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
He isn't going to Shrewsbury. They are a smaller club than ourselves and at the peak of what they can achieve. We now have the infrastructure in place to do well and push on. He only left because of Fenty last time, and I absolutely don't blame him. Wish I hadn't bothered for 17 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
kevikov
June 7, 2023, 8:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Bit gutted, the thread title made me expect a graph or a spreadsheet detailing Shrewsbury fc results and history since hurst had left and maybe a summary of pro’s and cons.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
fishcake63
June 8, 2023, 12:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
it wasn't a mistake the first time because it propelled him to championship & got him a decent pay off, but this time it would be a huge error of judgement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
monkeyboy
June 9, 2023, 6:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
In a safe stable job close to home to one that may last till Christmas . Nah don’t think so
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrewsbury after Hurst?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.