Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrewsbury after Hurst?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 148 Guests

Shrewsbury after Hurst?

This thread currently has 4,605 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 7, 2023, 11:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,837
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Not read that one, I'll check it out!  Another interesting insight into management - albeit from a different sport- is Warren Gatlands 'pride and passion'.  The bit where he's Ireland coach and begging for a £5k scrum machine the IRFU deem too expensive having just blown £150k on the board members living it large in Rome for a weekend felt very Fenty-esque!

When’s a scrum machine ever got you etc etc etc……..

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 7, 2023, 11:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,276
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Circumstances are very different to last time he went. We're very stable and he's well supported by owners I suspect he likes and trusts. Shrewsbury have just sacked Cotterill after finishing 12th. Not sure if there's more to it but seems very harsh when you look at who finished above them. Not sure where they expect a new manager to get them to.

I read the BBC report and it seemed to imply there was more to it without being explicit. The chairman said something about safeguarding the club so either Cotterill has done something naughty or his salary was too big a drain on the finances.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Meza
June 7, 2023, 12:41pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50

I read the BBC report and it seemed to imply there was more to it without being explicit. The chairman said something about safeguarding the club so either Cotterill has done something naughty or his salary was too big a drain on the finances.

There are claims that Cotterill was bullying apparently but that was on that link about Shrews fans wanting PH again.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
RonMariner
June 7, 2023, 2:15pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,696
Gold Stars: 226
Hands off Hurst.

They are welcome to Holloway though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 7, 2023, 2:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,276
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Meza

There are claims that Cotterill was bullying apparently but that was on that link about Shrews fans wanting PH again.

Hmm...I did think the use of 'safeguarding' suggested something a bit deeper.

But I have no idea what the truth is.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
Mikey_345
June 7, 2023, 2:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Honestly, I don't think they've got a cat in hell's chance. Paul Hurst is probably in one of the safest jobs in the industry at the moment - not in terms of maybe blind loyalty with no pressure to succeed but the owners are pragmatic and reasonable, they aren't the sort to fall into the usual fickleness of some owners sacking managers.

It's also not  2016 anymore and John Fenty is long gone which, lets be honest, was probably reason number 1, 2 and 3 of why he left in the first place. He is backed and supported massively, more so than getting the odd portacabin - just look at the off field staffing levels for him to utilise now, the investment in recruitment and infrastructure. The bloke has the chance to build something with a level of support that many don't get. With all due respect to Shrewsbury, I think it takes a much bigger proposition to tempt him away from here.

Another possible thing to consider, after Ipswich, Scunthorpe and being the manager when we went down (I'd argue all have mitigating circumstances) you could say he might be rebuilding his career slightly, if so he'd probably be abit careful at jumping in somewhere else with no guarantees that would go well and he's back at square one - especially after they've sacked a good manager that did ok for them.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
Mariner_09
June 7, 2023, 3:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Mikey_345
Honestly, I don't think they've got a cat in hell's chance. Paul Hurst is probably in one of the safest jobs in the industry at the moment - not in terms of maybe blind loyalty with no pressure to succeed but the owners are pragmatic and reasonable, they aren't the sort to fall into the usual fickleness of some owners sacking managers.

It's also not  2016 anymore and John Fenty is long gone which, lets be honest, was probably reason number 1, 2 and 3 of why he left in the first place. He is backed and supported massively, more so than getting the odd portacabin - just look at the off field staffing levels for him to utilise now, the investment in recruitment and infrastructure. The bloke has the chance to build something with a level of support that many don't get. With all due respect to Shrewsbury, I think it takes a much bigger proposition to tempt him away from here.

Another possible thing to consider, after Ipswich, Scunthorpe and being the manager when we went down (I'd argue all have mitigating circumstances) you could say he might be rebuilding his career slightly, if so he'd probably be abit careful at jumping in somewhere else with no guarantees that would go well and he's back at square one - especially after they've sacked a good manager that did ok for them.

I certainly think he probably feels he needs to rebuild his reputation as a League manager. Despite the success at Shrewsbury, he has only ever been promoted from non league.

Is Shrewsbury even that much of a step up as well? I doubt he'd command that much bigger salary and once he factors in the added cost of either moving to Shropshire or commuting further every day, the relative gains could be marginal. Shrewsbury are probably at the peak of what is achievable for them. He performed a minor miracle in getting them to the Playoff Final, and probably left because he knew, win or lose, he'd never replicate it the following season. With us, he has the scope to take the club further forward, both in terms of on the pitch and off the pitch infrastructure and leave behind a proper legacy and probably cement a legendary status, especially if he got us promoted again.

If he was to leave he'd effectively putting himself back on the managerial merry-go-round. He's not daft, he'll see all that and I think it would be unwise for him to move to somewhere like Shrewsbury now, or indeed, in the short to medium term.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Marinerdan
June 7, 2023, 4:10pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Interesting that Shrewsbury are looking for a ‘head coach’ rather than a manger. I get the impression Hurst is much more hands on and wants to be in charge of all the aspects of the football side. Can’t see this happening at all.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
Maringer
June 7, 2023, 4:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Given the connotations, you'd hope that the use of the word 'safeguarding' in this case isn't relating to the commonplace modern usage of the word.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
Wiley2405
June 7, 2023, 4:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Are there any odds floating around for their next manager can’t seem to find any
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrewsbury after Hurst?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.