Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jordan Cropper Vs Michee Efete.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 144 Guests

Jordan Cropper Vs Michee Efete.

This thread currently has 3,218 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
GtfcGarner
March 28, 2023, 4:43pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Would keep Michee for next year as a back up/ can play back 3. Not good enough to be starting out in a back 4 or in the wing-back role for me and must aim for better next year should we want to be at the business end of the table. The lad from Newport who's name escapes me (Norman?) looks like one of the best I've seen play that wing-back role. Efete got his criticism for his form early in the season when I believe he was devoid of confidence and we simply had nobody to replace him.. Cropper unfortunately I believe will be released as he was limited as a footballer even in the NL and the step up we've seen to L2 will be too much for him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
Heisenberg
March 28, 2023, 5:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,102
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Mariner_09
Michee is a much better full back than Cropper. Cropper doesn't have anything like the athleticism, the physical presence, the attacking threat, ability to get us up the pitch or the goal threat that Michee has.

They're probably similar on the ball, Cropper is less prone to lapses and that throw in, in and of itself, is a massive threat and can be the point of difference in marginal games, as we all know. We wouldn't have got promoted without him, and, if he'd been fit, Hursty would've picked Michee over Cropper in the playoffs.

Cropper is built like a body builder, not sure why you’d think he has less of a physical presence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
mariner91
March 28, 2023, 5:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from pontoonlew

Mahers barely gets 2-3 yards into the box and isn’t delivered at pace, it wouldn’t be threatening even if we had that freak that played for Solihull up top.

Croppers is low, flat and fizzes in, it’s an absolute weapon.

He set up a goal for Barnet against County the other week and it was nearly at the back post before it was at a height someone could reach! He wasn't even in line with the penalty area either. Unbelievable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
HertsGTFC
March 28, 2023, 5:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
I don’t think you can answer the OP question as we’ve not really seen Cropper at L2 level

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
immariner
March 28, 2023, 6:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Not sure it some people aren't aware, talking about whether they would keep Michee or not- he is under contract for next year so he will be here. it'll be very interesting to see how much he can improve over the next 14 months with us. He's just turned 26 so a year or two off his peak
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
blundellpork
March 28, 2023, 6:51pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
To challenge at the top end of league 2 I would suggest that we need better than either of them.

Efete has decent strength, mobility, and gets us up the pitch, and is decent enough for a mid table team.

For me, you take away Croppers throw and he was simply an average journeyman conference player. Whilst that throw is a hell of a weapon, it’s not enough to justify a starting place.

Last season all of our fullbacks allowed far too many crosses into the box, and I felt that upgrades were needed on both sides. I still think that’s the case this summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
monkeyboy
March 28, 2023, 7:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Michee had a torrid first half of the season but since has grown into league football.
I slated him earlier in the season but now I think he’s doing well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
ginnywings
March 28, 2023, 7:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ska face
The alternative is the endlessly shít and, almost entirely, ineffective scenario of needing one or two players within 5/10 yards of the thrower and having to work a small triangle in that tiny channel down the side. You end up losing the ball 9 times out of 10, and you’ve then got at least 2 players, if not three, immediately out of the game.

Cropper he might not be, but you only need one decent flick on or one defender to misjudge a header and you’ve a good chance of scoring.

On Saturday, he threw one to the feet of Green (I think it was), at the near post, and it led to McAtee hammering a shot just over the bar. I agree that the feet and back throw in very rarely seems to work, so throw it in the box and see what happens when we are anywhere near the goal, or long down the line when we aren't.

On the point of the thread, I'd swap them both for Norman at Newport. He was a cut above.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
Quagmire
March 28, 2023, 7:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from ginnywings

On Saturday, he threw one to the feet of Green (I think it was), at the near post, and it led to McAtee hammering a shot just over the bar. I agree that the feet and back throw in very rarely seems to work, so throw it in the box and see what happens when we are anywhere near the goal, or long down the line when we aren't.

On the point of the thread, I'd swap them both for Norman at Newport. He was a cut above.

I thought Malarkey looked better than what we currently have the other week when we played Rochdale

Nit sure what contract he signed there in Jan but could see why we were linked with him before Emmanuel signed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
diehardmariner
March 29, 2023, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,706
Gold Stars: 543
Few comments along the lines of Cropper wouldn't be half as good if he didn't have his throw, or his throw is his best attribute.  

The point is though that he has that attribute.  Waterfall would be pretty average if he didn't have his aerial presence, Clifton bang average without his engine etc. etc....

It's a flipping monster attribute and then some.  If we had someone capable of delivering free-kicks and corners capable of creating that level of panic and opportunity we would expect to see them in the side more often than not.  How many dangerous free-kicks and corners do you get per game, compared to throw-ins that are in the range where Cropper can put them in the mixer?

I don't think he's as good in the purest terms of a full-back as Efete or Emmanuel, he certainly doesn't get up and down the line as well as them and I doubt he would be zipping past people to put crosses in.  But I think you have to weigh up what he brings as assets.  

Oddly, I always thought he would be better served as a right sided centre back than Efete.   I don't think Hurst will look to keep him, which is a shame.  If he did though, I think he would be better suited as the right of a three rather than an out-and-out full back.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jordan Cropper Vs Michee Efete.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.