moosey_club
March 20, 2023, 9:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,274
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Great effort in the run, they're just class.

The bit of luck we needed we should've got. The goalie should've been sent off, but they still might've been too good for us.

How tinpot is blaring music before and after the whistle? I know we made the best of it but it would've been miles better to sing our own songs with the players.

You have to remember that the music stuff is what you get at these modern stadia / big events. They were the home side, they have just reached the semi finals and let's face it...they couldn't raise an atmosphere of their own in the 90mins so the p.a is needed to try and get them going.

There was a clip of final whistle scenes on social media somewhere from a Brighton fan soon after..."amazing scenes at the Amex as we reach a semi final" the camera showing nothing more than hearty clapping and as the camera pans around to the away end its bouncing after a 5-0 loss.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 85
lew chaterleys lover
March 20, 2023, 11:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
I thought Hurst set us up right with a plan to keep the score down for as long as possible but will have been so disappointed with that opening goal which effectively killed the game. We looked very nervous understandably so, but poor defending and goalkeeping and that was basically that.

The cup run and experience has been fantastic but Hurst will be very aware we need a lot more pace creativity and power if we are to make a challenge next season. I'm hoping for a strong finish to this season and hopefully get in the top 10 if we can build on the last two league victories.

I must say it is amazing how top quality players make the game look so easy. They don't seem to break sweat but find their teammates all over the field with consumate ease and I reckon Brighton had several more gears to go through if needed.

Private Message
Reply: 51 - 85
chaos33
March 20, 2023, 11:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,968
Gold Stars: 360
Yeah totally agree.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 85
ska face
March 20, 2023, 11:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,725
Gold Stars: 851
Right I’m going to be moaning for the next few paragraphs so feel free to scroll straight past, I just need to get it off my chest.

I hated pretty much the whole day yesterday, even from sort of Wednesday onwards and the whole build up. Yeah obviously we were going to get beaten, but the back end of the week felt like being at our own wake and everyone chatting about what a great life we’d lead and being pleased at getting a good send off.

The Brighton fans are some of the nicest I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet but that summed up the whole event - nice.  All very pleasant, beyond cordial, bordering on saccarhine at times. There was never any needle, no friction, nothing to get the pulse racing. Obviously nobody wants to be dealing with aršeholes, and the Brighton lot on here have been absolutely top, but it just felt far too jolly for me.

I thought the first half was good from us, but ultimately conceding in 7 minutes set the tone and the job was fúcked from that point. Think we missed Green badly second half. Team selection? Well wouldn’t have mattered if we had Pele up front to be fair, we didn’t really do anything. No surprises.

The atmosphere on our side was absolute dog, people more interested in singing about libraries than any of our songs. Not sure what it was like behind the goal but the sound just seemed to evaporate. Probably a million factors for it that aren’t worth discussing, just glad I was at Southampton.

Maybe I was just tired & miserable after a long drive, but I hate seeing us lose against anyone, regardless of the circumstances. Think I was hoping for something like the battle of Thermopylae but ended up with a pat on the head and sent on our way with everyone’s best wishes. Just not for me.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 85
headingly_mariner
March 20, 2023, 12:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from moosey_club

You have to remember that the music stuff is what you get at these modern stadia / big events. They were the home side, they have just reached the semi finals and let's face it...they couldn't raise an atmosphere of their own in the 90mins so the p.a is needed to try and get them going.

There was a clip of final whistle scenes on social media somewhere from a Brighton fan soon after..."amazing scenes at the Amex as we reach a semi final" the camera showing nothing more than hearty clapping and as the camera pans around to the away end its bouncing after a 5-0 loss.

It's minging and I hate it. Reminded me of the National League play off final with the excrement pub singer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 85
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2023, 12:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,983
Gold Stars: 228
I think I possibly enjoyed the bit after the game more than the game itself.

Remarkable and well deserved reception for the players considering the result on the day.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 85
jaygy
March 20, 2023, 1:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from ska face
Right I’m going to be moaning for the next few paragraphs so feel free to scroll straight past, I just need to get it off my chest.

I hated pretty much the whole day yesterday, even from sort of Wednesday onwards and the whole build up. Yeah obviously we were going to get beaten, but the back end of the week felt like being at our own wake and everyone chatting about what a great life we’d lead and being pleased at getting a good send off.

The Brighton fans are some of the nicest I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet but that summed up the whole event - nice.  All very pleasant, beyond cordial, bordering on saccarhine at times. There was never any needle, no friction, nothing to get the pulse racing. Obviously nobody wants to be dealing with aršeholes, and the Brighton lot on here have been absolutely top, but it just felt far too jolly for me.

I thought the first half was good from us, but ultimately conceding in 7 minutes set the tone and the job was fúcked from that point. Think we missed Green badly second half. Team selection? Well wouldn’t have mattered if we had Pele up front to be fair, we didn’t really do anything. No surprises.

The atmosphere on our side was absolute dog, people more interested in singing about libraries than any of our songs. Not sure what it was like behind the goal but the sound just seemed to evaporate. Probably a million factors for it that aren’t worth discussing, just glad I was at Southampton.

Maybe I was just tired & miserable after a long drive, but I hate seeing us lose against anyone, regardless of the circumstances. Think I was hoping for something like the battle of Thermopylae but ended up with a pat on the head and sent on our way with everyone’s best wishes. Just not for me.

If you read a few comments back you'll see I said how much of a great day I had and thanked the Brighton fans for their hospitality but, in a way, I see where you're coming from. Not saying I want to fight anyone but a bit of fight and grit on the pitch whilst the fans are giving it all barrels at the top of their lungs at each other in the stand is fantastic! I also see your point about feeling like we've been sent home with a pat on the head, as much as I enjoyed chatting to their fans etc it showed that they didn't see us as a threat and plucky little grimsby were just coming for a day out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 85
TwoLeftFeet
March 20, 2023, 1:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,089
Gold Stars: 18
What an amazing journey we are on this last 18 months or so.. the club all pulling together owners, players, staff and fans..

Yes yesterday was a step too far we probably didn't bring our 'A' game but tbf I don't think it would have made much of a difference result wise such is the gulf in quality in the teams.

Had a great time down on the south coast fair play to so many of the Brighton fans for staying behind a good 15 mins to applaud our team off at the end, we deserved that after what our team has done this year in the cup..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 85
forza ivano
March 20, 2023, 3:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,254
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think I possibly enjoyed the bit after the game more than the game itself.

Remarkable and well deserved reception for the players considering the result on the day.

Agree totally. Regarding the atmosphere,  I wonder if its thr stadium? No problem with the mouse created by us at cambridge, luton and southampton. Also consider that we could hardly hear them and I thing it might be the stadium
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 85
Gaffer58
March 20, 2023, 3:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
Looking at the skill set of the 2 teams it was quite obvious there was a gulf,they were quite happy to play 10/12 passes along their back line and not even attempt to get it forward, it’s the way the premiership plays,it’s all about possession. Plus they always seemed to have an extra yard and nearly always instant control. I think when we’re playing a normal league 2 game both teams will basically put about 5/6 passes together and then either make a bad pass or poor control and the ball goes to the opposition,you know you’ll always get it back every 40/50 seconds, but whatching Brighton once they have it you may not get a kick for 4/5 minutes,that’s a lot of chasing around after the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.