jamesgtfc
March 19, 2023, 11:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,016
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from jaygy
I know most wanted a draw against Man Utd but does anyone think they'd have given us the welcome that Brighton did? I don't think so personally. Brighton have the feel of one of the many friendly little clubs we've come across over the years but on a bigger scale and with Premier league money.

I don't want to dwell on the game too much as I didn't go there expecting to win. I had a fantastic weekend away and got what I wanted from today in the 10 minutes after the game where every single fan stayed and sung their hearts out to thank the players for this incredible run. I don't understand what people are saying about our fans not being on top form, maybe on TV the mic wasn't placed close enough because I guarantee you from being stood in the middle of it that it was electric! Even when each goal went in we were still singing. Every club has idiots, even Brighton had fans gesticulating towards the town end wanting a fight but that's just a minority

Ultimately I walked out of that stadium feeling so proud to be a town fan.......after losing 5-0!

Thank you again to all the welcoming Brighton fans on here and in the City

Man Utd fans wouldn't have given us anything like what we've seen from Brighton fans because most of them have no affliction with Manchester and they consider having billionaire owners to be a massive problem.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 85
ginnywings
March 19, 2023, 11:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Been home about 10 minutes from what was a long but mostly enjoyable day.

Nothing but praise for Brighton as a team and a club. Everyone was welcoming and helpful.

Our team gave their all, but we just couldn't live with them on the pitch, which is no shame. Great and well merited applause for them at the end of the game, and the Brighton fans joined in as well to their credit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 85
aldi_01
March 20, 2023, 6:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Not really sure where to begin. The cup run has been amazing and again, it’s another example of how far we’ve come.

Brighton are a good side, very good, and significantly more effective since Potter has gone but our defending was flipping woeful. Perhaps it’s a combination of them being quicker and more alert but deep down, our players/coaches won’t be happy.

I’m not sure it would’ve mattered which team played but I can’t help feel a little underwhelmed in the end.

I’m sure people had a great day out but for me, that’s what has contributed to that underwhelming feeling. It seemed to be more about enjoying ourselves than winning and losing 5-0 is not enjoyable.

It’s happened, we made history but I won’t be looking back on the game. Perhaps the legacy of this means the club can move forward even further. We’ve certainly got some pride back throughout the last 18months.

Sweet Caroline can intercourse right off though…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 85
jaygy
March 20, 2023, 7:41am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Totally disagree with you there Aldi, not sure what more you expected from our players, they set up with an organised shape to nullify Brighton threat but they really aren't used to the constant movements and clever darting runs through the middle that Brighton were making all game. My only regret from the game is that the mcatee effort didn't go in because the roof would have come off the stadium!

The Brighton DJ knew exactly what he was doing with those song choices at the end including sweet caroline, I bet he had a wry smile watching us have a little karaoke session 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 85
aldi_01
March 20, 2023, 7:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from jaygy
Totally disagree with you there Aldi, not sure what more you expected from our players, they set up with an organised shape to nullify Brighton threat but they really aren't used to the constant movements and clever darting runs through the middle that Brighton were making all game. My only regret from the game is that the mcatee effort didn't go in because the roof would have come off the stadium!

The Brighton DJ knew exactly what he was doing with those song choices at the end including sweet caroline, I bet he had a wry smile watching us have a little karaoke session 😁

Not disagreeing, Brighton are a far far better side than under Potter and have pushed aside really good teams.

I just don’t wanna lose 5-0, I don’t care who it’s too, it hurts…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 85
Hagrid
March 20, 2023, 7:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,473
Gold Stars: 536
Aye noone wants to lose 5-0 but they were so so far clear of us. We stuck at it, never kicked them off the park and did our best. Cant fault them
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 85
mariner83
March 20, 2023, 7:56am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Back last night but too knackered to post.

It would have been nice to score, it would have been nice to not concede 5 but at the end of the day the gulf in class was too much.  

No matter what though, I couldn't be prouder of our club.  
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 46 - 85
Trevor Whymark
March 20, 2023, 7:58am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +15
Gold Stars: 9
https://youtu.be/d924LLHxSqk
A old song we used to sing when in pontoon  40 years ago came to mind leaving Brighton  ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 85
OddShapedBalls
March 20, 2023, 8:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Initially I was pretty p!ssed off with the 5-0, 3-0 Id have accepted and the romantic in me wanted just one goal scored from town to put some gloss on it, but I couldn't really accept a 5-0 hammering.  It felt like that time I found the hotel receipts when my ex-wife was supposed to be 'looking after her sister' - frustrating that your gut instinct about the whole thing was proved right but too upset and angry to do anything but drink for the rest of the day.

Then the hazy fog of cider clouded thoughts drifted away and I was reminded that the BHA midfield alone was worth over £200m if you wanted to buy it today.  £70m Arsenal target Moises Caicedo was made to look bang average and resorted to diving in his own box after being frustrated all game.

I think the formation and tactics were bang on tbh, they just had the quality to break through.  Most of the first half consisted of their back 3 tapping it to each other with no outlet, getting bored and forcing a pass that would be intercepted.  If we had better ball players, we could have turned that interruption into an attacking threat each time, but we didn't so that's it.  Second half Hurst brought on better ball players to try and do just that, but what we gained in passing and control we lost bite and defence - we were 1, then 2-0 down it was a choice of try and limit it to 2 or go for it and hope we score.  And I'm glad we did, we played good footy at times (when we could get hold of the ball) and dismissed this notion that all lower league teams are long ball merchants.

In the cold light of day, no complaints, I don;t see what our players could have done more when up against world cup winners and true, true quality - I hope they go on to win the bloody thing and the 2 manc clubs get nowhere near it.

One thing I do think this exposed horribly is our lack of pace up front, none of our forwards or wide players are genuinely quick and I just feel that if we'd had a Reddy or someone of that ilk against better teams we could knock balls in behind the high defensive line they were using and cause issues.  Maybe with the money available we can get some in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 85
headingly_mariner
March 20, 2023, 9:03am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,388
Gold Stars: 120
Great effort in the run, they're just class.

The bit of luck we needed we should've got. The goalie should've been sent off, but they still might've been too good for us.

How tinpot is blaring music before and after the whistle? I know we made the best of it but it would've been miles better to sing our own songs with the players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.