Northbank Mariner
December 26, 2022, 8:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Inclined to agree, but I still think the lack of a bogle-podge combination is all we are missing.
Those 2 scoring goals had us on the verge of the play offs in Hursts last reign and we played pretty much the same style as we are now.
Now, maybe that glossed over his inadequacy to change games mid flow which is what we are witnessing now.
I believe we have 3/4 of a play off squad and with 3-4 solid additions we'd be up there, but I'm just not sure PH would take us any further.
What will be interesting is if we are floundering just above the relegation slots with 7- 8 games to go is what reaction we'll get out of the board...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 144
It Bites
December 26, 2022, 8:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,219
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Simon
Going to get slaughtered for saying this but i believe Hurst has taken us as far as he can, so we either accept being a mediocre side i league 2 just going through the motions or we change things starting with Hurst, I like PH but he just doesn't have a plan "B" and we are just getting too predictable and very easy to beat, shocking defeat today

Everything about the team is too predictable. All the back room staff in the world mean nothing if the manager can't or won't adapt
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 144
MuddyWaters
December 26, 2022, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Simon
Going to get slaughtered for saying this but i believe Hurst has taken us as far as he can, so we either accept being a mediocre side i league 2 just going through the motions or we change things starting with Hurst, I like PH but he just doesn't have a plan "B" and we are just getting too predictable and very easy to beat, shocking defeat today

No slaughter from this post. I thought he was extremely negative in his pre match comments and his interview tonight was dreadful. I’d like to see him held to account by the board rather than read some Guardian reader waffle.
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 144
lew chaterleys lover
December 26, 2022, 8:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Inclined to agree, but I still think the lack of a bogle-podge combination is all we are missing.
Those 2 scoring goals has us on the verge of the play offs in Hursts last reign and we played pretty much the same style as we are now.
Now, maybe that glossed over his inadequacy to change games mid flow which is what we are witnessing now.
I believe we have 3/4 of a play off squad and with 3-4 solid additions we'd be up there, but I'm just not sure PH would take us any further.
What will be interesting is if we are floundering just above the relegation slots with 7- 8 games to go is what reaction we'll get out of the board...

I can answer that now! They won't dismiss Hurst whatever happens.  Their whole philosophy is based on giving the manager confidence in his position and giving him the tools for the job.

It's a fine line between job security and complacency but their strategy worked last season.

If the long term plan is to really work we will need to sign quality players that are a cut above not just hard working replacements.
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 144
Northbank Mariner
December 26, 2022, 9:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172

I can answer that now! They won't dismiss Hurst whatever happens.  Their whole philosophy is based on giving the manager confidence in his position and giving him the tools for the job.

It's a fine line between job security and complacency but their strategy worked last season.

If the long term plan is to really work we will need to sign quality players that are a cut above not just hard working replacements.

Doesn't matter who we sign, Hurst needs to change his approach to games.
We could have Mbappe and Haaland and he'd still only play 1 up front!.
There's levels for players and managers alike and I just can't help thinking Hurst is struggling at this level..
You can say he did well at the shrews and to a degree with us first time round but Stockwood, Petitte et al won't risk another relegation to the NL and if that means pulling the plug on Hurst I honestly think they will.
I'm not completely anti Hurst but I also want a product thats worth my time and money investing into, and again, right now, I feel that product is not offering value for money
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 144
MuddyWaters
December 26, 2022, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker

You’re right but is it because he says the right things? I’ve never known a squad get worse not better after a promotion before. I was never a fan of Mani and Abrahams but they were better than what we have now and Fox left a big hole in the squad.

We got promoted, maybe with a slice of fortune, but surely that should have been a catalyst to improve rather than a reason for the current indifference.
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 144
FishGY
December 26, 2022, 9:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +65
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You’re right but is it because he says the right things? I’ve never known a squad get worse not better after a promotion before. I was never a fan of Mani and Abrahams but they were better than what we have now and Fox left a big hole in the squad.

We got promoted, maybe with a slice of fortune, but surely that should have been a catalyst to improve rather than a reason for the current indifference.

What's your basis to saying we've got worse? Yes we won the playoffs but as far as the league system is concerned we were 6th best in the 5th division last season. As it stands we're 16th in the 4th division, which is comfortably better even if many times more boring. We won't go down, we won't go up, not the most fun but we don't have many of these seasons.

This is still a Hurst who got a relegation favourite Shrewsbury to a 3rd division play off final, it won't happen this year but there's plenty to suggest this isn't as far as he can take us.

This board won't sack him, that's their philosophy, and whether you or I disagree with that isn't too relevant, we might as well support him because I doubt he's going anywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 144
MuddyWaters
December 26, 2022, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishGY

What's your basis to saying we've got worse? Yes we won the playoffs but as far as the league system is concerned we were 6th best in the 5th division last season. As it stands we're 16th in the 4th division, which is comfortably better even if many times more boring. We won't go down, we won't go up, not the most fun but we don't have many of these seasons.

This is still a Hurst who got a relegation favourite Shrewsbury to a 3rd division play off final, it won't happen this year but there's plenty to suggest this isn't as far as he can take us.

This board won't sack him, that's their philosophy, and whether you or I disagree with that isn't too relevant, we might as well support him because I doubt he's going anywhere.

Is it wrong to think better? There’s no team I’ve seen that we couldn’t beat with a couple of improvements. I’m finding the indifference bewildering.
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 144
FishGY
December 26, 2022, 10:22pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +65
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Is it wrong to think better? There’s no team I’ve seen that we couldn’t beat with a couple of improvements. I’m finding the indifference bewildering.

It's not wrong to think better, and I think it's pretty disappointing how this season is petering out, but I still think it's wrong to suggest we've got worse than last season, we just haven't improved as much as we maybe should have.

I agree you don't see teams much better than us but I also think it's a fine line between lower midtable and playoffs in this league. Even looking at the table there's a gap between the top 3 and we all know you have to be terribly run to go down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 144
MuddyWaters
December 26, 2022, 10:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishGY

It's not wrong to think better, and I think it's pretty disappointing how this season is petering out, but I still think it's wrong to suggest we've got worse than last season, we just haven't improved as much as we maybe should have.

I agree you don't see teams much better than us but I also think it's a fine line between lower midtable and playoffs in this league. Even looking at the table there's a gap between the top 3 and we all know you have to be terribly run to go down.

I think we broadly agree. I’m not convinced, however, that the manager is on the right track.
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 144
15 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Harrogate (A) Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.