4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
November 25, 2022, 4:11pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,386
Gold Stars: 149
I'm 34 and looking at travelling by train once a month to a town game or/and back to Grimsby from the southwest. I'm trying to work out which rail card would be best. Any I try that I'm technically eligible for I save next to nothing. Yet when I look at ones such as the 26-30 I get hefty savings....
Logged Offline
Private Message
DB
November 25, 2022, 5:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from lukeo
I'm 34 and looking at travelling by train once a month to a town game or/and back to Grimsby from the southwest. I'm trying to work out which rail card would be best. Any I try that I'm technically eligible for I save next to nothing. Yet when I look at ones such as the 26-30 I get hefty savings....

Try split ticketing, it might help.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
promotion plaice
November 25, 2022, 6:52pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from lukeo

It's not the cost you need to worry about, it's if the trains are running.

TransPennine up here are shocking, getting as bad as Stagecoach.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
lukeo
November 26, 2022, 5:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from DB

Try split ticketing, it might help.

This does help a bit.

*edit* I've managed to find a way of getting myself and son from taunton to Grimsby and back for £107 (I'd need a family rail cars though) probably about the same price as if I drove so very tempting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
Maringer
November 26, 2022, 8:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,621
Gold Stars: 185
Unfortunately, it's not just the cost you have to consider, but also the reliability. My wife took a train to Sheffield yesterday to visit her sister. The train she was booked on (4.25-ish) was cancelled, as were all the others until later at night so I ended up having to leave work to look after the kids so she could catch the train an hour earlier - the only one running for about 6 or 7 hours! She's due back on Sunday and I fully expect I may have to drive to pick her up. Wouldn't surprise me if most of the train services were cancelled.

We're turning into a flipping third world country under the idiots running the show (into the ground). It would be a massive gamble to travel all the way from the south west on the train as things stand!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
Chrisblor
November 26, 2022, 11:30am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,912
Gold Stars: 238
I've basically all but given up trying to go to away games on the train now, you just can't rely at all on them (nor can you get cheap advance tickets reliably like you could pre-pandemic). It's stupid because it's my preferred method of long travel but instead i'm forced into driving everywhere instead which isn't exactly great for the environment is it!

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
lukeo
November 26, 2022, 1:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Dang. I appreciate the responses guys. I was hoping to come up on the 27th Dec and go back on the 31st. Do you not get compensation, refund or offered other transport if its cancelled?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
Manchester Mariner
November 26, 2022, 5:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,819
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from lukeo
Do you not get compensation, refund or offered other transport if its cancelled?

Supposedly but they make it a proper struggle to sort out with some stations having nobody working in them due to cuts or maze like customer services. I went a gig in Manchester from Warrington this week and there were no trains back from 9pm onwards as they were all cancelled due to 'short notice cancellations'. There was only a rail replacement bus just before midnight which would've got us home at 1.30am. Paid £35 for an uber instead which got us home in 20 minutes.

The country is tanking, is going to excrement and surrounded by actual excrement pumped into the sea. 🇬🇧

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
jamesgtfc
November 27, 2022, 12:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,027
Gold Stars: 190
Unless you're a full-time student you aren't eligible for a rail card to use on your own. If you're traveling with a child, get a family one or if it's two adults, a Two Together card. Otherwise, try split ticketing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
DB
November 27, 2022, 11:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
When all else fails massage your thumb and have good pair of walking boots.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.