MuddyWaters
September 28, 2022, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,250
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from aldi_01
Pepple is decent and I think he could improve, Richardson the same, Simmonds, I’m not sure, I’m cautious to say he’s shite but he’d have been better sat with me last night. He doesn’t strike me as a Hurst type player.

That said, we were lacking massively in the middle of the park last night…

I’m not sure 67% possession and 18 goal attempts suggests anything other than we lacked a cutting edge.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
fishboyUTM
September 28, 2022, 9:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
They aren't our players. Unless they are stand outs then I say PH gives Orsi a run of half a dozen games whatever he does. Tell him he has six games. And while he's at it, I'd look at the excellent Khan and Maguire Drew and tell them to swap sides. Right footer on the right, left footer on the left. Couple of occasions when Khan picked the ball up in the full back area on the left and drive forward obviously using his right foot. The defender took the ball off him as he couldn't shield the ball.

Get on your natural side! And we never looked like scoring from those deep crosses, bread and butter for the center backs of both Swindon and Carlisle. We scored last night when we got to the byline and crossed for a tap in. Hard to do that when the winger is on his wrong foot and looking to cut inside instead of getting a cross in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
lukeo
September 28, 2022, 10:16pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Richardson is decent from what I've seen and worth a start but should be told to play next to or just behind Taylor but concentrate on attacking. Simmonds could be a good impact runner etc.. Pepple I haven't seen enough for me to want him around the 11 if I'm honest
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
HatTrickHero
September 28, 2022, 10:29pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +779
Gold Stars: 25
Pepple is here to learn his trade, I'd imagine Luton will take him back at seasons end. He's ok but I can see him being put on the back boiler while others get more game time. Richardson looks very promising, a goal can't be too far off.
Simmonds for me is an away day player, last 2 home games have seen the opposition pack the midfield , very easy to snuff out someone with such little march experience.
Little wonder we do so well on the road, our style suits the game when up against a home team under pressure to entertain the home crowd. Simmonds did well away but the last 2 home games against very dogged and disciplined opposition is, understandably for me asking a bit too much of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
HerveJosse
September 28, 2022, 10:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
We seem to have gone from bringing in loan players to improve the team and make an impact to offering a training  service to players not yet ready for EFL football.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Northbank Mariner
September 29, 2022, 8:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,452
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from fishboyUTM
They aren't our players. Unless they are stand outs then I say PH gives Orsi a run of half a dozen games whatever he does. Tell him he has six games. And while he's at it, I'd look at the excellent Khan and Maguire Drew and tell them to swap sides. Right footer on the right, left footer on the left. Couple of occasions when Khan picked the ball up in the full back area on the left and drive forward obviously using his right foot. The defender took the ball off him as he couldn't shield the ball.

Get on your natural side! And we never looked like scoring from those deep crosses, bread and butter for the center backs of both Swindon and Carlisle. We scored last night when we got to the byline and crossed for a tap in. Hard to do that when the winger is on his wrong foot and looking to cut inside instead of getting a cross in.

Only one problem with all that, Khan supplied the cross that Efete secured from!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
Maringer
September 29, 2022, 9:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
I think both Khan and JMD are pretty decent with both feet so neither needs to change sides (though they may wish to do so in the game).

The problem on Tuesday was that we didn't get in behind their well-organised defence often enough and, when we did, the final ball wasn't good enough. It must be said, they were pretty clinical with their efforts on goal. The opener was an excellent finish, though he should perhaps have been under a bit more pressure when he struck the shot. In comparison, we had 4 or 5 opportunities to shoot from a similar position and hit every single one straight at the keeper.

I can't say I was at all impressed with Simmonds who dwelled on the ball when he did get it and was invariably tackled. Didn't seem very strong in possession at all and he'll need to get better at shielding it rather than allowing the opposition to easily nick it off him. In the Swindon game, Richardson was completely lost in the first half and barely touched the ball, though he did a little better when playing wide early in the second half. Did OK on Tuesday as well and he looks to have something about him. Still the sort of player we should be seeing coming off the bench at this stage of his career, but we're out of options so this is why he's getting thrown in at the deep end along with Simmonds.

Pepple has the physical attributes to be a useful signing and I'd like to see more of him coming off the bench. We are lacking pace in the attacking areas so adding that in gives the opposition something else to think about. Just need these three players to nick a goal to get themselves started and hopefully begin to improve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
diehardmariner
September 29, 2022, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Don't disagree about giving Orsi a run, nor about switching Khan and Maguire-Drew, although I think they're arguably the types of player who want to cut inside naturally rather than run along the touchline.  I suppose them cutting in creates that space for the full-backs to overlap too.

Richardson looks the pick of the 3 to me.  Got something about him but just lacks that composure when it counts.  It feels a bit to me that he's trying to play that McAtee role and whilst he's got the attributes to do it (mainly a bit of speed and ability to carry the ball at pace, whilst riding challenges), it's maybe a role he's not played before.  

I like Taylor but when he's on the pitch he revert to type all the time.  We only go for the approach of having him bring it down/flick it on for someone.  It's a great option, but he's got more to his game than that.  Same when McAtee's in the team really, we look to him as the default.    I'd like to see Orsi and Richardson given a go together to work as a proper pair.  Not as one playing off the other but a genuine front pairing.  That, of course, means we either lose any width or we sacrifice dominating midfield (not convinced we're anywhere near good enough with a two-man midfield).  

He played well on Tuesday but I think I'd be looking to put JMD back on the bench.  Khan behind a front two with an energy packed three in the midfield.  Fullbacks told to press on, safe in the knowledge that someone is sitting in that holding midfield role to cover them. Harsh on JMD, I know.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
monkeyboy
September 29, 2022, 10:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Strikers need service.. something we dont have a lot of at the moment.  
Far to negative at home for me.!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
Jarmo.Is.God
September 29, 2022, 12:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
For me, Richardson has had more of a chance than Simmonds, but Simmonds has something about him that i like.
He seems confident, and wants to do tricks, and get away from his man, and i think he could do well.

Richardson hasn't done bad, but not set done a great deal either to cement his place. Having said that, he did well on Tuesday when he come on.

Pepple is a no go for me I'm afraid and see nothing in him that makes me get excited.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Richardson, Simmonds & Pepple

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.