Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Simon, September 28, 2022, 7:11pm
We might be struggling for goals at the minute especially at home but these three lads will be different gravy with a goal or two each under their belts. Confidence is everything in front of goal and at the minute the lack of goals must be playing on their minds especially in front of a packed Pontoon stand

If Simmonds had the arrogance of Mcatee he could be something special, he has a great touch on him and is really comfortable on the ball just needs to find that extra bit of composure as he pulls the trigger

I feel goals incoming UTM

By the way is Pepple still here? Not listed on the first team squad on the GTFC website
Posted by: male private Nale, September 28, 2022, 7:32pm; Reply: 1
Ok who sold Simon the super strength rose tinted glasses ?
Posted by: bawarmy, September 28, 2022, 7:34pm; Reply: 2
When I saw the title of the post I was expecting it to say they need to be sent back.
I hope you are right Simon.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 28, 2022, 7:38pm; Reply: 3
Having watched all 3 play now, the only 1 think has goals on him is Richardson.
Simmonds doesn't inspire me with confidence, neither does Pepple tbh.
On another note about Pepple though, he's a strong lad with a good touch, probably the only other person in the building that could play the Taylor role. He plays with his back to goal, can hold the ball up but also spin on a defender.
Richardson has pace, guile and he's fearless, only issue is he holds on to the ball a bit too long for my liking.
So, will the goals flow from these 3, the jury's out and imo, I'm not sure they will.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 28, 2022, 7:38pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Simon
We might be struggling for goals at the minute especially at home but these three lads will be different gravy with a goal or two each under their belts. Confidence is everything in front of goal and at the minute the lack of goals must be playing on their minds especially in front of a packed Pontoon stand

If Simmonds had the arrogance of Mcatee he could be something special, he has a great touch on him and is really comfortable on the ball just needs to find that extra bit of composure as he pulls the trigger

I feel goals incoming UTM

By the way is Pepple still here? Not listed on the first team squad on the GTFC website

You surprise me about Simmonds. That sounds more like Richardson to me.
Posted by: Kris2, September 28, 2022, 9:06pm; Reply: 5
Guess we'll see what they do while with us. Though Simmonds looked ace on his debut but hasn't really established himself since then. Richardson looks as if there is a good player in there but he's still young and making a lot of rookie mistakes. I'm hoping the experience of first team football will do a lot for Richardson and Pepple with the latter also having to adjust to the level of football on offer. See flashes of what they can do but their play is a bit naive as they say.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 28, 2022, 9:27pm; Reply: 6
There’s something about Richardson but I’m afraid the other two don’t inspire me. We may have inherited Pepple as part of the McAtee deal whilst Simmonds was such a late signing, it wouldn’t appear that he was on our radar as a first choice option.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 28, 2022, 9:32pm; Reply: 7
Pepple is decent and I think he could improve, Richardson the same, Simmonds, I’m not sure, I’m cautious to say he’s shite but he’d have been better sat with me last night. He doesn’t strike me as a Hurst type player.

That said, we were lacking massively in the middle of the park last night…
Posted by: Mariner_501, September 28, 2022, 9:33pm; Reply: 8
None of them look up to standard tbh.
Pepple looks the most dangerous but can’t finish.
Richardson is a good footballer but doesn’t impact the game.
Simmonds just *shrugs*
Posted by: ginnywings, September 28, 2022, 9:39pm; Reply: 9
Sounds like a firm of solicitors.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 28, 2022, 9:46pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from aldi_01
Pepple is decent and I think he could improve, Richardson the same, Simmonds, I’m not sure, I’m cautious to say he’s shite but he’d have been better sat with me last night. He doesn’t strike me as a Hurst type player.

That said, we were lacking massively in the middle of the park last night…

I’m not sure 67% possession and 18 goal attempts suggests anything other than we lacked a cutting edge.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, September 28, 2022, 9:53pm; Reply: 11
They aren't our players. Unless they are stand outs then I say PH gives Orsi a run of half a dozen games whatever he does. Tell him he has six games. And while he's at it, I'd look at the excellent Khan and Maguire Drew and tell them to swap sides. Right footer on the right, left footer on the left. Couple of occasions when Khan picked the ball up in the full back area on the left and drive forward obviously using his right foot. The defender took the ball off him as he couldn't shield the ball.

Get on your natural side! And we never looked like scoring from those deep crosses, bread and butter for the center backs of both Swindon and Carlisle. We scored last night when we got to the byline and crossed for a tap in. Hard to do that when the winger is on his wrong foot and looking to cut inside instead of getting a cross in.
Posted by: lukeo, September 28, 2022, 10:16pm; Reply: 12
Richardson is decent from what I've seen and worth a start but should be told to play next to or just behind Taylor but concentrate on attacking. Simmonds could be a good impact runner etc.. Pepple I haven't seen enough for me to want him around the 11 if I'm honest
Posted by: HatTrickHero, September 28, 2022, 10:29pm; Reply: 13
Pepple is here to learn his trade, I'd imagine Luton will take him back at seasons end. He's ok but I can see him being put on the back boiler while others get more game time. Richardson looks very promising, a goal can't be too far off.
Simmonds for me is an away day player, last 2 home games have seen the opposition pack the midfield , very easy to snuff out someone with such little march experience.
Little wonder we do so well on the road, our style suits the game when up against a home team under pressure to entertain the home crowd. Simmonds did well away but the last 2 home games against very dogged and disciplined opposition is, understandably for me asking a bit too much of them.
Posted by: HerveJosse, September 28, 2022, 10:48pm; Reply: 14
We seem to have gone from bringing in loan players to improve the team and make an impact to offering a training  service to players not yet ready for EFL football.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 29, 2022, 8:49am; Reply: 15
Quoted from fishboyUTM
They aren't our players. Unless they are stand outs then I say PH gives Orsi a run of half a dozen games whatever he does. Tell him he has six games. And while he's at it, I'd look at the excellent Khan and Maguire Drew and tell them to swap sides. Right footer on the right, left footer on the left. Couple of occasions when Khan picked the ball up in the full back area on the left and drive forward obviously using his right foot. The defender took the ball off him as he couldn't shield the ball.

Get on your natural side! And we never looked like scoring from those deep crosses, bread and butter for the center backs of both Swindon and Carlisle. We scored last night when we got to the byline and crossed for a tap in. Hard to do that when the winger is on his wrong foot and looking to cut inside instead of getting a cross in.

Only one problem with all that, Khan supplied the cross that Efete secured from!..
Posted by: Maringer, September 29, 2022, 9:34am; Reply: 16
I think both Khan and JMD are pretty decent with both feet so neither needs to change sides (though they may wish to do so in the game).

The problem on Tuesday was that we didn't get in behind their well-organised defence often enough and, when we did, the final ball wasn't good enough. It must be said, they were pretty clinical with their efforts on goal. The opener was an excellent finish, though he should perhaps have been under a bit more pressure when he struck the shot. In comparison, we had 4 or 5 opportunities to shoot from a similar position and hit every single one straight at the keeper.

I can't say I was at all impressed with Simmonds who dwelled on the ball when he did get it and was invariably tackled. Didn't seem very strong in possession at all and he'll need to get better at shielding it rather than allowing the opposition to easily nick it off him. In the Swindon game, Richardson was completely lost in the first half and barely touched the ball, though he did a little better when playing wide early in the second half. Did OK on Tuesday as well and he looks to have something about him. Still the sort of player we should be seeing coming off the bench at this stage of his career, but we're out of options so this is why he's getting thrown in at the deep end along with Simmonds.

Pepple has the physical attributes to be a useful signing and I'd like to see more of him coming off the bench. We are lacking pace in the attacking areas so adding that in gives the opposition something else to think about. Just need these three players to nick a goal to get themselves started and hopefully begin to improve.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 29, 2022, 9:36am; Reply: 17
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Don't disagree about giving Orsi a run, nor about switching Khan and Maguire-Drew, although I think they're arguably the types of player who want to cut inside naturally rather than run along the touchline.  I suppose them cutting in creates that space for the full-backs to overlap too.

Richardson looks the pick of the 3 to me.  Got something about him but just lacks that composure when it counts.  It feels a bit to me that he's trying to play that McAtee role and whilst he's got the attributes to do it (mainly a bit of speed and ability to carry the ball at pace, whilst riding challenges), it's maybe a role he's not played before.  

I like Taylor but when he's on the pitch he revert to type all the time.  We only go for the approach of having him bring it down/flick it on for someone.  It's a great option, but he's got more to his game than that.  Same when McAtee's in the team really, we look to him as the default.    I'd like to see Orsi and Richardson given a go together to work as a proper pair.  Not as one playing off the other but a genuine front pairing.  That, of course, means we either lose any width or we sacrifice dominating midfield (not convinced we're anywhere near good enough with a two-man midfield).  

He played well on Tuesday but I think I'd be looking to put JMD back on the bench.  Khan behind a front two with an energy packed three in the midfield.  Fullbacks told to press on, safe in the knowledge that someone is sitting in that holding midfield role to cover them. Harsh on JMD, I know.
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 29, 2022, 10:00am; Reply: 18
Strikers need service.. something we dont have a lot of at the moment.  
Far to negative at home for me.!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 29, 2022, 12:02pm; Reply: 19
For me, Richardson has had more of a chance than Simmonds, but Simmonds has something about him that i like.
He seems confident, and wants to do tricks, and get away from his man, and i think he could do well.

Richardson hasn't done bad, but not set done a great deal either to cement his place. Having said that, he did well on Tuesday when he come on.

Pepple is a no go for me I'm afraid and see nothing in him that makes me get excited.
Posted by: Maringer, September 29, 2022, 12:19pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
For me, Richardson has had more of a chance than Simmonds, but Simmonds has something about him that i like.
He seems confident, and wants to do tricks, and get away from his man, and i think he could do well.

Unfortunately, every time he did a trick and then tried to get away from his man against Carlisle, he was tackled. In fact, there were lots of occasions when he looked like he was doing to get away but they just got a foot in. I think he needs to shift it a bit further out of his feel after turning away and use his body better. He's big enough to make it difficult for defenders to get around him, but they always seemed to manage pretty easily on Tuesday.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 29, 2022, 12:38pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Richardson hasn't done bad, but not set done a great deal either to cement his place. Having said that, he did well on Tuesday when he come on.

Pepple is a no go for me I'm afraid and see nothing in him that makes me get excited.

Interesting as I’m completely the opposite and think Pepple is the best option of the three. Think he has more physically to offer and puts himself about upsetting defenders, also whilst he’s missed a number of decent chances at least he’s got himself in the right position to miss them whereas the other two have hardly ever got themselves in the penalty box.

Funny how we all view players differently.
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 29, 2022, 1:48pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Interesting as I’m completely the opposite and think Pepple is the best option of the three. Think he has more physically to offer and puts himself about upsetting defenders, also whilst he’s missed a number of decent chances at least he’s got himself in the right position to miss them whereas the other two have hardly ever got themselves in the penalty box.

Funny how we all view players differently.

I completly agree that Pepple is going to be a good player, completly different to what the offers offer.
All 3 look like they have some promise.

I do however think unitl they get a good run of games it is impossible to see how good they are. bit parts here and there is no good.

Pepple looks like he can do the Taylor job and has more speed. holds the ball up pretty well.  all about confidence.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 9:18pm