Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 2346.

Scunthorpe.

This thread currently has 713,494 views. Print
455 Pages Prev ... 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 ... Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
June 20, 2023, 5:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from Heisenberg

That is absolutely idiotic. I’m mean, come on - admitting to being friends with a Scunny fan!

Have a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror before posting on here again.

Where does it say friend? Its Some random twitter account
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2340 - 4546
BIron
June 20, 2023, 6:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: -98
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from marinerjase
Don’t think you’ve rattled anyone tbh..most comment as they’re either just genuinely concerned, or bewildered…or both.

Sorry, hope I’m wrong ..but nothing adds up. It’s only ending one way. Which is a massive shame, genuinely.

That’s why I said ‘some’ of you, not aiming it at everyone on here. Nip on here every now and then just to check what gets said on this thread. Genuinely appreciate the concern from the ones that mean it as well.

As for burying my head in the sand, what on earth do you  all expect us to do as supporters? We have a chairman who has shown at the forum he has proof of funds and is clearly splashing the cash to get us back where we belong.

Don’t listen to the negative doom and gloom, I guess I shouldn’t be expecting positive things about Scunny on our rivals fan forum so that is my overlook.

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2341 - 4546
BIron
June 20, 2023, 6:35pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
Noone is rattled, I actually think a lot of town fans are concerned. It's like a family member you don't like  ...... It's ok to hate you but if anyone tries to fcuk you over we get a bit protective. The people of Grimsby are good people ( I don't live there )  they have big massive Hearts .  Scunthorpe Fans need to except their fate , what ever that may be because a lot of good people have tried , in their own way , to help .

Good Luck

Appreciate the good luck message but not sure many people from Grimsby get over protective about Scunny failing, don’t buy that one unfortunately. I understand it is important the rivalry remains and that we still have a club to support which we do. People need to understand how much damage Swann has caused and what Hilton is left to pick up instead of criticising him.

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2342 - 4546
BIron
June 20, 2023, 6:46pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

It's understandable that after one terrible owner in Swann, with Hilton promising the world fans will naturally buy into the notion that everything will be brilliant.

We're not rattled by anything down the road, as others have said previously, we're actually concerned for you. We love seeing our rivals have a little downturn and we'll bask in it given how the same when the roles were reversed. But ultimately, although it's a little funny what's happening, to lose a rivalry doesn't do anyone any favours. Also, as general football fans, we actually wouldn't want to see the good fans of SUFC lose their club, in the same way as Bury, Macclesfield etc.

We have the benefit of looking at things a little more objectively as we're not emotionally attached and when you lay everything out on the ground, there's a lot there to cause concern and lot's of things that don't add up. Please don't let us take away your optimism but I think our suggestion would be to have a little look more deeply and consider the need for some back-up expectations if all doesn't go well...

Thank you for the nice response I cannot argue with that. I understand how it all looks and there is clearly still concerns with the ground saga and we all obviously hope it is resolved soon. We have 1,500 season ticket holders for NLN which is impressive considering the years of misery we have had to endure in recent times.

Just doing my best to keep the faith and get behind the new owner and hope he is the man. The signings are unbelievable, just hope there is a team out of them and we can get back where we belong and get playing each other again.

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2343 - 4546
BIron
June 20, 2023, 6:52pm
Beer Drinker
To paraphrase:

Promoted back to the league, a very safe 11th in our first season back, an historic run to the FA Cup quarter finals - where did it all go wrong?

I bet you'd swap our 'rattled' for your situation in a heartbeat.

I commented on here at the time and said credit where it’s due for the past few years you have had through gritted teeth. The fa cup run was unbelievable. I just find it amusing that little old Scunny are still one of your main talking topics on this forum.

You want us to be back really, you’ve had your laugh at how far we’ve fallen. Now it’s time for us to try rise back up again. Hopefully we will!

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2344 - 4546
Mappers
June 20, 2023, 7:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,474
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from BIron

I commented on here at the time and said credit where it’s due for the past few years you have had through gritted teeth. The fa cup run was unbelievable. I just find it amusing that little old Scunny are still one of your main talking topics on this forum.

You want us to be back really, you’ve had your laugh at how far we’ve fallen. Now it’s time for us to try rise back up again. Hopefully we will!

UTI

What are your thoughts on Hilton being on the Facebook group answering questions/doubters etc ?

Not sure what to make of it , he's either truly transparent (and thinks he can be in the new stadium in 2 years )  or trying to use smokescreens .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2345 - 4546
Poojah
June 20, 2023, 7:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Right, here's the issue I have, BIron. Let me spell it out once and for all.

Naturally, it's a somewhat silly but real reflection of tribalism in football, that I should want to see Scunthorpe United struggle, given my position as a Grimsby Town fan. The reverse is also true of course, and there's nothing really wrong with that. But I have never liked, do not like, and will never like historic football clubs being destroyed by careless and / or unscrupulous owners. I'd add MK Dons as the exception to that rule, but I don't have to since they're not an historic football club.

In terms of where you find yourselves today, in the National League North, 99.99% of the blame for that sits with Peter Swann - a man who has done untold and potentially irreversible damage to a local institution. He did so, ultimately, by putting his own interests ahead of the club's long-term future and either didn't consider or didn't care about the risks involved from the club's perspective.

I could tell you that it surprised and maybe even angered me that it took so long for Iron supporters to wake up and smell the coffee, but that's irrelevant now. You can't change the past. But you can, as a collective of supporters with a common interest, change the future, or at least plan today for the numerous different paths fate might take the club down.

So let's start with where we are right now, with the club under the ownership of one David Hilton / White (enter additional pseudonyms here). If we think back, just two summers ago, we, Grimsby Town, ushered in two new joint owners in Jason Stockwood and Andrew Pettit, much to the delight of the club's fanbase.

There were two main reasons behind this delight. Number one, they weren't John Fenty, and that's at least one claim David Hilton can hang on to. He's not Peter Swann. Number two, though, was much more important. They were people who had been born and grown up in the town, long-standing supporters of GTFC, and most importantly of all, had very transparent and traceable roots to their wealth, namely hugely successful careers in their own respective, legitimate lines of business. They also had some very clear and well defined values, which was a bonus.

I've heard and read a lot of rumours that don't paint David Hilton in a particularly good light at all, but since I can't vouch for the validity or accuracy of any of them, I'll steer clear of making spurious or even libellous claims. But there do appear to be a number of largely unanswered questions about the man, which collectively, amount to a very large red flag.

- Just how wealthy is David Hilton?
- What is the source of that wealth?
- Is / are the source[s] legitimate? And if we can tick the legitimate box, how about "noble"?
- Why all the name changes?
- Besides all this, why does he purportedly want to pump millions of his presumably hard-earned cash into saving Scunthorpe United, a club he has no prior connection to?

Aside from the above, there are broader questions about the way he appears to be running the club. What on earth is going on with Glanford Park? What's all this nonsense about a new multi-million pound stadium delivered within 2 years? The appointment of a manager very much out of his depth at a professional club? The scattergun approach to transfers? And what's with all the abuse sceptical fans have found themselves subject to on Twitter and the like? It's all quite peculiar, and whilst Peter Swann's end game was always abundantly clear, Hilton is certainly harder to size-up in that regard.

Your latest signing, Callum Roberts, raises far more questions than it answers. I won't lie, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw he'd signed for you. I thought he was one of the best players in the National League during our promotion season, and I felt could easily go and play at a higher level, as he technically did when he signed for Aberdeen last year. Hands up, in spite of his recent injury record, I wouldn't have been disappointed to see him rock up at Blundell Park this week.

But "rattled" certainly isn't how I'd describe my reaction. It wasn't one of "wow, that's a bloody good signing", but more one of "erm...that just doesn't compute - there's something not right there".

Aberdeen finished 3rd in the SPL last season; they are one of the biggest clubs in Scotland behind Celtic and Rangers. Roberts will have been on between £2k and £3k a week there, and given that he's been happy to rip up a further 2 years on his contract at Pittodrie and sign for a troubled and volatile club relegated to the NLN indicates he's probably been offered even more money at Scunthorpe, a club which will have probably less than 10% of his former club's income next season.

How on earth is that possible? It doesn't stack up, does it? The only way it can happen is if Hilton pays him £150k+ a year out of his own pocket, and why would he want to do that on top of everything else he's already having to spend to prop the club up?

Ultimately, Scunthorpe United are falling into the same trap that took them here in the first place. Spending well beyond what the club organically generates in revenue to bring a better standard of player to the club. That's fine if you have a benefactor of quantifiable wealth and a clear motivation to see things through come rain or shine.

But I'm just not seeing that. I see a man at the helm who's game plan isn't clear. Is he genuine in his plans for the club? Is he legitimately wealthy? Is he prepared to underwrite the club's continued losses until it is truly back on its own feet? Or is he none of those things? Is he something else altogether?

There simply isn't sufficient evidence in the public domain to make a definitive call either way, but the many gaps in what we know and the demeanour of Hilton's modus operandi make it difficult to feel like backing the positive horse is a sensible choice. Given what the club has been through already, a sizeable dollop of scepticism can only be healthy. That means continuing to probe, continuing to ask questions, even, if not especially, when the news appears to be positive on the surface, and planning, now, for the eventuality that things go well and truly títs up. It means being proactive, not reactive. That's a crucial distinction.

Fool you once, shame on them. Fool you twice, shame on you.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2346 - 4546
aldi_01
June 20, 2023, 7:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Hilton will ultimately be a disaster for Scunny, but when you look at context, he can be no worse.

It won’t end well though and everything he said is still no more valid than claims made by a bloke down the pub…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2347 - 4546
BIron
June 20, 2023, 8:33pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

What are your thoughts on Hilton being on the Facebook group answering questions/doubters etc ?

Not sure what to make of it , he's either truly transparent (and thinks he can be in the new stadium in 2 years )  or trying to use smokescreens .

I like it personally but don’t like to hear too much. Swann liked the sound of his own voice and spoke up far too much and controlled too much as well. Hilton is having to speak up to constantly reassure supporters. Some of it is rightly so, others are just critical of every little move he makes. It is daunting but ultimately he saved the club we have to give him a chance.

As for the new stadium in 2 years absolutely no chance. North Lincs Council are a nightmare at the best of times too.

Focusing on the present and that is some top quality signings and chance to watch us win plenty of games next season. And hopefully finish the season as title winners and back in the NL (never thought I would view that as an achievement but here we are)

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2348 - 4546
It Bites
June 20, 2023, 9:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,207
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from BIron

I like it personally but don’t like to hear too much. Swann liked the sound of his own voice and spoke up far too much and controlled too much as well. Hilton is having to speak up to constantly reassure supporters. Some of it is rightly so, others are just critical of every little move he makes. It is daunting but ultimately he saved the club we have to give him a chance.

As for the new stadium in 2 years absolutely no chance. North Lincs Council are a nightmare at the best of times too.

Focusing on the present and that is some top quality signings and chance to watch us win plenty of games next season. And hopefully finish the season as title winners and back in the NL (never thought I would view that as an achievement but here we are)

UTI

The big question I'd be asking is ... What happens when we don't go up next season ?  
No FA funding .
Even less season ticket sales

I think even you know you won't walk that league . Top 8 if you're lucky , bottom 8 if you're not
Private Message
Reply: 2349 - 4546
455 Pages Prev ... 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.