Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Carlisle sell out?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 132 Guests

Carlisle sell out?

This thread currently has 3,827 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 17, 2022, 3:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Brazilnut
Just out of curiosity ....if the away end was full .....and all home tickets where sold ......then 2000 season ticket holders couldn't make it and all made their seats available for resale ......and everyone sold .......would the club declare a 11k attendance for a 9k capacity crowd stadium ..........?

No.

The match attendance is how many go through the turnstiles on the day, not how many tickets are sold.

We have had several "sell outs" last season and this, yet we haven't hit an 8000 on the day attendance yet. 7900 against Stockport being the peak last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
diehardmariner
August 17, 2022, 3:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from gtfc_chris

So you're looking at it from the perspective that determination of a sell-out is that every seat has a bum on it?

It has a degree of logic to it but to fulfil that criterion would be nigh on impossible!! If a STH only figures they can't attend a game in the morning, does that STH need to declare it, get it up for re-sale and then be sold to factor into a positive data count?

If 100 STH hand back their seats, but only as singles dotted around the Upper (for example), how many people will take them up as singles if you're looking at either a family, group of friends or couple wanting to attend. We've seen that seats do sell as singles, but what we can't quantify in this scenario is how many people have not bought tickets because they can't get a group of 2/3/4 together? We're proving we can sell tickets with what happens to be available without any known data on how many have not purchased owing to limitations of availability. It could be minimal, it could be quite considerable.

The attendance and number of tickets sold gives us the no-show data but the definition of sell out has to come from the availability of tickets surely...?

I'm in complete agreement.  I'm not overly interested, truth be told, in if we sell-out or not (by which ever definition gets used for that).  I just want us to be maximising every single avenue for increased revenue and fans getting to watch the club.

You'll get very little argument from me about increasing capacity, I'm all for it.  But for that to happen there needs to be strong justification for it.  

In theory, this isn't one I'm subscribing to either, there's let's say there's an average of 400 seats that are unoccupied every game because ST holders can't attend.  We need to make sure that we're not building a temp stand in the corner because there's 300 people each game who are met with the Sold Out sign at the ticket office doors.  The easier and cheaper solution is to make sure those 300 can slot into the 400 seats that would otherwise be unoccupied.

Once we get to that point where we don't have empty seats on a matchday, or a very small number, over a sustained period then any argument against expansion is null and void.

I'm of the opinion that we should look to expand regardless.  The options at BP mean we're hemmed in.  There's little room for people to flex with where they sit, seats that are available are generally of poor quality, there's little option to sit in groups...For me it would be better to have a 10,000 capacity with 8,500 getting a decent view and able to sit with their mates than 8,500 hemmed in with some in crap seats and miles from their mates/families.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
diehardmariner
August 17, 2022, 3:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

The answer is for the club to provide more seats not selling the same ones twice. You will never get more then a small percentage of the non attendees to release them for resale when there is no direct incentive to do so.

I'm not disagreeing with providing more seats. But we haven't got them (yet).

So surely the push should be on a system that looks to resell the tickets of non-attending ST holders and provides an incentive to do so?
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
ginnywings
August 17, 2022, 3:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from diehardmariner

So surely the push should be on a system that looks to resell the tickets of non-attending ST holders and provides an incentive to do so?

Agreed.

An amount of money (£5 say?) off next years season ticket for each time you release your seat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
HerveJosse
August 17, 2022, 4:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from diehardmariner

I suspect the apparent large number of season ticket holders maybe 500 a game not attending the first two games is simply because it’s August that’s less then 10 percent of season ticket holders and surely 10 percent are away on holiday at any point in time in August . Yes have a resale programme and publicise it but it’s not an answer to the shortage of capacity we now face. We have barely got started yet in reestablishing ourselves in League 2 and it’s going to be a sell out for every match  so if our ambitious is to go higher then how can the need for greater capacity not be recognised as the No 1 issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
DB
August 17, 2022, 4:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,049
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from HerveJosse

The answer is for the club to provide more seats not selling the same ones twice. You will never get more then a small percentage of the non attendees to release them for resale when there is no direct incentive to do so.

The incentive to do so is being a TRUE supporter of the club. Helping others, by offering a seat which otherwise would not be available so the team could be urged on in the match with extra voices. Some sort of credit/ rebate to the STH but the incentive is helping the club prosper both financially and with more vocal support.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
Madeleymariner
August 17, 2022, 4:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
I decide a few days before a game lets go to x match. No decent pair of seats available, instead arrange something else for some point on the Saturday. A season ticket holder deciding on Friday night he can't make it and putting ticket up for resale isn't a lot of use in my case.
I really believe we need to increase capacity quickly, if this is a succesful season then the club wont have been able to get even more new fans in for the future. Almost a Catch 22 need supporters in to show need for increased capacity but cant get more supporters to show it is needed as any non restrictedt view is already sold.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
Lost in Lincoln
August 17, 2022, 7:17pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Brazilnut
Just out of curiosity ....if the away end was full .....and all home tickets where sold ......then 2000 season ticket holders couldn't make it and all made their seats available for resale ......and everyone sold .......would the club declare a 11k attendance for a 9k capacity crowd stadium ..........?

Pretty sure the attendance announced is people actually through the turnstiles.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 34
aldi_01
August 18, 2022, 8:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Is obsessing over attendance our new thing?

The resale thing makes sense but it’s still very much in its infancy and to be honest, if I were unable to attend I wouldn’t bottom myself with it, I know enough people I could offer it to.

I know the big clubs have cut off points for when you have to decide which makes sense but I guess, for me, if there’s a possibility that I could attend but wouldn’t know until say Friday or Saturday night, again, I would t allow it to be resold.

Perhaps the answer is additional seats and I agree that it’s a great problem to have.

We must’ve had an attendance thread after every game and almost every other day or so it seems.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
diehardmariner
August 18, 2022, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Agreed.

An amount of money (£5 say?) off next years season ticket for each time you release your seat.

I think something like that works, providing it's sold of course.  Then maybe a cap on the number of times you can do it.  Even free pre-season tickets the following summer, programmes, drinks vouchers....anything.  But there has to be an incentive because otherwise people won't do it.  

We can all preach how much we want the club to progress and draw in new blood.  But the likelihood of us going out of our way (regardless of how small the inconvenience is) to put our own ticket up for sale, without us getting the benefit of it, is quite slim.  For the vast majority anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Carlisle sell out?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.