pizzzza
July 7, 2022, 5:52pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Racism works all ways I think that sometimes gets overlooked , it’s disgusting in all forms

What does racism have to do with this story?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 61
MuddyWaters
July 7, 2022, 5:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 61
louth_in_the_south
July 7, 2022, 5:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 96
He’s top of the list for the Qatari national team

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 61
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 7, 2022, 6:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
I think Bignot should be having words with his solicitor.

The insult…

"Maybe if you had a bit of p**** in you and in your life, then maybe you'd be better for it and at your job."

That doesn’t sound like him. The sentence doesn’t even start with ‘Listen’ for a start!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 61
ginnywings
July 7, 2022, 6:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
I think Bignot should be having words with his solicitor.

The insult…

"Maybe if you had a bit of p**** in you and in your life, then maybe you'd be better for it and at your job."

That doesn’t sound like him. The sentence doesn’t even start with ‘Listen’ for a start!

Surprised he didn't say 'the' p****.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 61
aldi_01
July 7, 2022, 6:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Massive girl private…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 61
Deckhand
July 7, 2022, 9:38pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 3
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 61
male private Nale
July 8, 2022, 7:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from aldi_01
Massive girl private…

Hence why he suggested filling it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 61
GrimPol
July 8, 2022, 7:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -672
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from ginnywings

Surprised he didn't say 'the' p****.

Rehanne Skinner (Spurs women)  said to Bignot (Birmingham women) during the match: “F**k off Marcus, you’re a p***k and you always have been.”
His riposte was “Maybe if you had a bit of p***k in you and in your life, then maybe you’d be better for it and at your job.”
He gets suspended, 7 match ban and his clubs sacks him.
She gets........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 61
male private Nale
July 8, 2022, 7:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Rehanne Skinner (Spurs women)  said to Bignot (Birmingham women) during the match: “F**k off Marcus, you’re a p***k and you always have been.”
His riposte was “Maybe if you had a bit of p***k in you and in your life, then maybe you’d be better for it and at your job.”
She gets........

Touch line banter during the heat of the game, obviously the thought police can’t let this happen in this maligned patriarchal establishment that is football. Well not unless it’s a woman directing it to a man
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 61
aldi_01
July 8, 2022, 7:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
But he’s got previous, and he is a sharp object…statement of fact probably means it’s hard to charge her…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 61
Poojah
July 8, 2022, 8:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,567
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from GrimPol

She gets........

Let me be clear, I think Marcus Bignot is an idiot who routinely fails to engage his brain before opening his mouth, and in general I think it’s a positive thing that it’s no longer acceptable to take aim at someone’s race, gender, sexuality and so on.

But if that’s the kind of exchange that’s fit to see someone lose their job, it’s a very slippery slope we’re heading down.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 61
Zmariner
July 8, 2022, 8:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Idiotic comment by Marcus. Not a great comment by the lady. Does he really deserve to be hung out to dry so dramatically. Not for me, telling off re-education but don’t destroy his livelihood for it. I am sure that most of us have replied to somebody pointing out something that we incorrectly perceive as a weakness in them because we think it is a smart reply. Nothing to be proud of in heat of the moment But we probably didn’t lose our jobs and our livelihood from it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 61
male private Nale
July 8, 2022, 8:41am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
But he’s got previous, and he is a sharp object…statement of fact probably means it’s hard to charge her…

Statements of fact like the colour of a persons skin... let’s see how far you get hurling those statements of fact around!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 61
GrimPol
July 8, 2022, 9:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner
Idiotic comment by Marcus. Not a great comment by the lady. Does he really deserve to be hung out to dry so dramatically. Not for me, telling off re-education but don’t destroy his livelihood for it. I am sure that most of us have replied to somebody pointing out something that we incorrectly perceive as a weakness in them because we think it is a smart reply. Nothing to be proud of in heat of the moment But we probably didn’t lose our jobs and our livelihood from it.

I would put it under provocation.
She starts it off then puts up a shield called misogyny/homophobia/racial, take your pick, and Bignot's on a loser.
Might finish his total career, who will employ him in football?  I bet they were Hi Fiving it at Spurs. It's getting worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 61
aldi_01
July 8, 2022, 9:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from male private Nale

Statements of fact like the colour of a persons skin... let’s see how far you get hurling those statements of fact around!

My comment was sarcasm…I think personally both should’ve received a consequence but I suspect they’ve highlighted the sexism in Bignots comments…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 61
GrimPol
July 8, 2022, 9:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

My comment was sarcasm…I think personally both should’ve received a consequence but I suspect they’ve highlighted the sexism in Bignots comments…

He was done for homophobia, she is a Lesbian.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 61
ginnywings
July 8, 2022, 11:02am

Recovering Alcoholic
Fenty employed some nice chaps didn't he?

Newell
Bignot
Holloway

Who said due diligence at the back?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 61
Maringer
July 8, 2022, 11:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,527
Gold Stars: 185
You missed out Jolley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 61
Rick12
July 8, 2022, 11:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Zmariner

Very well said. In my life I've met some women with stinking attitudes that really have wound me up but I wouldn't use any sexism towards them no matter how annoyed I get. I think partly Bignot may have used sexist language is with him growing up it has been prevalent in men's football. Likewise with homophobic banter as well. It has been so common in the male game across all cultures/ races though things are changing.

Again what some people don't realise is how tough it is to make in football professionally as very few make it . Compare this to other professions where it's a lot easier to get in and stay there. Likewise the harshness of the dog eat dog culture  can push people to the edge and it's why there are sometimes training ground bust-ups where players start physically fighting with each other . Likewise staying in the team once you've established yourself isn't easy either with someone always trying to take your position.

I personally liked Bignots refreshing interviews when he was here at Grimsby though . Spoke from the heart and seemed to care . He has let himself down on this occasion with the sexist comments though and I hope he learns from it. Having said that the women who wound Bignot up should also be punished as well as she isn't entirely blameless as you have pointed out .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 61
davmariner
July 8, 2022, 11:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Rick12

Very well said. In my life I've met some women with stinking attitudes that really have wound me up but I wouldn't use any sexism towards them no matter how annoyed I get. I think partly Bignot may have used sexist language is with him growing up it has been prevalent in men's football. Likewise with homophobic banter as well. It has been so common in the male game across all cultures/ races though things are changing.

Again what some people don't realise is how tough it is to make in football professionally as very few make it . Compare this to other professions where it's a lot easier to get in and stay there. Likewise the harshness of the dog eat dog culture  can push people to the edge and it's why there are sometimes training ground bust-ups where players start physically fighting with each other . Likewise staying in the team once you've established yourself isn't easy either with someone always trying to take your position.

I personally liked Bignots refreshing interviews when he was here at Grimsby though . Spoke from the heart and seemed to care . He has let himself down on this occasion with the sexist comments though and I hope he learns from it. Having said that the women who wound Bignot up should also be punished as well as she isn't entirely blameless as you have pointed out .

Bignot was a bullshitter.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 61
Rick12
July 8, 2022, 11:40am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

Bignot was a bullshitter.
Probably out of his depth at Grimsby but I didn't mind him as a person.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 61
darren9
July 8, 2022, 11:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
I can’t believe the amount of blokes on here condemning the other party for not being lady like or for starting the abuse or whatever. She called him a sharp object. It’s an unpleasant term but one that’s used often and probably heard during most games. There’s clearly a degree of misogyny in that we don’t like “our women” to use bad language. But that’s another discussion for another time.

If the Bignot had responded in kind. Called her a girl private or similar then it’s just a touch line bust up. But he didn’t. He responded with a homophobic comment.

It’s established in the laws of the game that homophobic comments aren’t allowed. There isn’t a sliding scale of “it’s not that homophobic” it’s just not allowed. Bignots comments were demonstrably homophobic and he’s been rightly punished.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 61
Rick12
July 8, 2022, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from darren9
I can’t believe the amount of blokes on here condemning the other party for not being lady like or for starting the abuse or whatever. She called him a sharp object. It’s an unpleasant term but one that’s used often and probably heard during most games. There’s clearly a degree of misogyny in that we don’t like “our women” to use bad language. But that’s another discussion for another time.

If the Bignot had responded in kind. Called her a girl private or similar then it’s just a touch line bust up. But he didn’t. He responded with a homophobic comment.

It’s established in the laws of the game that homophobic comments aren’t allowed. There isn’t a sliding scale of “it’s not that homophobic” it’s just not allowed. Bignots comments were demonstrably homophobic and he’s been rightly punished.
Laws are constantly changing all the time. The fact she instigated the argument with f this and f that and your a p**** could be deemed hostile or offensive/ aggressive behaviour  by some as well .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 61
lew chaterleys lover
July 8, 2022, 12:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
Punishments in this country seem out of kilter to most reasonable people. A touchline spat possibly means the end of a man's career? There have been touchline spats since Adam was a lad involving every type of derogatory term imaginable, but a handshake at the end of the game and it is all forgotten.

It seems very bad form that the opposition decided to complain when they were throwing around insults themselves if the account of what happened on here is correct.

A short touchline ban for both parties would have been appropriate.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 61
HertsGTFC
July 8, 2022, 12:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
Bignot just isn’t very intelligent I think we saw that when he was in charge at “the” BP.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 61
male private Nale
July 8, 2022, 2:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

He was done for homophobia, she is a Lesbian.

Be careful your probably not allowed to pigeon hole them as lesbians now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 61
OddShapedBalls
July 8, 2022, 4:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
I think Bignot made this massively worse all by himself to be honest, reading the statements he claimed that he didn't say it, that he didn't know she was a lesbian and that the Tottenham staff had all colluded to incriminate him was his defence......when it emerged that he worked with her partner at Birmingham, had asked said partner about Skinner etc and knew that she was gay, the comment itself was oddly specific about the lack of phallus in skinners life for someone who didn't know she was phallus-free and the spurs staff were all 'credible, compelling and articulate'.
I can't help but think that if he'd taken a different approach when the allegation was made he'd have come out of it better.  Maybe still without a job but at least employable in future without bringing a PR nightmare with him. A decent PR advisor would have been a better investment than a legal team.

Still, seeing as Skinner openly admitted to using 'improper, abusive or insulting language' herself, which was the charge brought against Bignot, and openly admitted to being the instigator of the exchange, I'm amazed she hasn't received a fine or lesser ban as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 61
gtfc98
July 8, 2022, 6:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Quoted from darren9

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 61
GrimPol
July 8, 2022, 6:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from darren9

Still provocation.
If Bignot had said his first, and she second, total different skew.
I think she was laughing all the way after. Getting like East Germany and thought police.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
lew chaterleys lover
July 8, 2022, 8:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from darren9

Punished by losing his livelihood?  If someone called you a sharp object in a highly charged situation you would be able to think of the carefully worded, correct response at all times would you?

Its pathetic that two individuals who both used obnoxious terms about the other results in the aggressor getting off scot free, whilst Bignot faces an uncertain future. There has to be some leeway given for retaliation in a heated debate surely?

If he walks into her office and uses such a term then he would be fired. To use it in an argument which he didn't start is a different thing altogether.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
darren9
July 8, 2022, 8:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Gov.uk gives details of “protected characteristics as follows;

It is against the law to discriminate against anyone because of:

being married or in a civil partnership
being pregnant or on maternity leave
disability
race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
religion or belief
sex
sexual orientation

As you can plainly see sexual orientation is on that list.

It matters not who “started it” (because we’re not on the playground) or what the nasty person said. What matters in this case is that Bignot used an insult based on the other persons protected characteristic (their sexual orientation) and therefore his language was discriminatory. He hasn’t been punished for being obnoxious or aggressive. He’s been punished for being discriminatory.

Regarding my own personal opinion on this affecting his livelihood. My own belief is that he should be educated and rehabilitated. I think that’s what the fa have decided in this case with being ordered to attend a face to face education course along with his touchline ban. It is his employer who has decided to sack him. I don’t know why as the statement from Birmingham doesn’t really explain it. But he’s free to seek employment elsewhere and he should be allowed to do so.

The facts are that Bignot was called a sharp object. If he had responded by calling the other party a sharp object then there wouldn’t be an issue. He didn’t he responded by attacking a protected characteristic which isn’t allowed in UK law. He’s therefore been punished.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
darren9
July 8, 2022, 8:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
If someone called you a sharp object in a highly charged situation you would be able to think of the carefully worded, correct response at all times would you? .

I probably don’t have the quickness or wit to come up with a carefully worded, correct response. But I also wouldn’t attack a protected characteristic because I’m not a Big(n)ot

See what I did there? I bracketed the n in the name Bignot to read Bigot. Maybe I do have a quick wit, though it has taken me a few hours to come up with it.

Tbh in a highly charged situation if I was called a sharp object I’d probably just cry because I’m a snowflake. Either that or Id mutter “I know you are, you said you are, but what am I?” I’ve always had success with that before.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
toontown
July 8, 2022, 9:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from darren9

disability
religion or belief
sex
sexual orientation

It matters not who “started it” (because we’re not on the playground) or what the nasty person said. What matters in this case is that Bignot used an insult based on the other persons protected characteristic (their sexual orientation) and therefore his language was discriminatory. He hasn’t been punished for being obnoxious or aggressive. He’s been punished for being discriminatory.

Regarding my own personal opinion on this affecting his livelihood. My own belief is that he should be educated and rehabilitated. I think that’s what the fa have decided in this case with being ordered to attend a face to face education course along with his touchline ban. It is his employer who has decided to sack him. I don’t know why as the statement from Birmingham doesn’t really explain it. But he’s free to seek employment elsewhere and he should be allowed to do so.

The facts are that Bignot was called a sharp object. If he had responded by calling the other party a sharp object then there wouldn’t be an issue. He didn’t he responded by attacking a protected characteristic which isn’t allowed in UK law. He’s therefore been punished.

Yeah I'm no PC type but I can see why they've sacked him for what he's said. For a start how would any lesbian players or staff working for Birmingham women feel if they had to work with him knowing what he's said and feeling he us prejudiced against them.

However I do thinkbthe point made about the female who called him a sharp object not being punished is still perfectly valid. This was NOT a law court, debating language around the above law, it was an FA tribunal reharding breach of the improper and abusive language rules. She has also breached the improper and abusive language rule with her use of the word sharp object. Not as severely as him definitely but she has breached it. Of course normally if they both used that word nobody complains and it wouldn't be an issue but the fact she has chosen to make it an issue means her behaviour needs to be examined also, that's justice.

In order for justice to be seen to be done and in the interests of being seen as a fair and impartial body the FA really has to find her guilty as well here. She has broken the rules too. A small fine for her would suffice but justice has to be impartial. I think if roles were reversed and a man had started the exchange by calling a woman a 'f---y' in this situation he would definitely find himself being fined at the very least.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
aldi_01
July 8, 2022, 9:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
He’s been sacked for breaking the law and no doubt committed gross misconduct according to their HR policies.

You can cryarse all you want about her starting it or whatever but if his go to, his natural response is racist/homophobic/sexist or whatever then he’s not fit to do the job (he’s a flipping charlatan anyway).

I’ve been called significantly worse than a sharp object by kids I work with; by staff I work with in various situations but I haven’t responded with racist/homophobic/sexist and so on language…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
Poojah
July 8, 2022, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,567
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from darren9

disability
religion or belief
sex
sexual orientation

The problem we’ve got is that we are entering a very black and white world when it comes to discrimination. It’s either discriminatory - racist, sexist, homophobic or it’s not. But these things are nuanced; there are varying degrees of offence, and yet the starting punishment is invariably some considerable way up the scale.

Was what Marcus Bignot said homophobic? It’s difficult to argue a case that it wasn’t, but I have to question whether his actions caused a level of harm to the victim, commensurate to the loss of his job and probable ending to his career.

And I do get the bigger picture, by the way. I get that it’s much bigger than hurt feelings. It’s about the pain, disadvantage and inequality that homophobia, racism, sexism cause on a much broader scale. I get that it’s easy for me to say its an overreaction, when I am a straight, white man - about as easy as it gets as a demographic in this country.

Archaic attitudes need stamping out for the benefit of everyone, not least those who are subject to discrimination. But in getting there, we need to remain sensible. There’s a danger that we allow the pendulum to swing that bit too far, and that we remove spontaneity from our daily human interactions, through an over-sensitive fear of offending.

Not because you intend to say anything offensive but because, in real time, it’s difficult to know where the line is and therefore the easiest way not to cross it is to not say anything at all. It can stifle the open sharing of ideas, and constructive criticism. It can suffocate humour and dull the atmosphere.

In summary, what I am not saying is that the world should not try to become a better, fairer, kinder, more loving world. Who, except sociopaths, wouldn't want that?

What I am saying is that there needs to be a degree of understanding that the world is on a learning curve. For at least 40 of Marcus Bignot’s 47 years, his comments would have raised few eye brows. In treating every misstep as evil, and worthy of such punishment, we in fact risk making the world an irreversibly poorer place to be. Kinder, perhaps. But beige and inauthentic too.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
moosey_club
July 8, 2022, 11:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,264
Gold Stars: 226
Bignot....

Anyone over 21 wearing skinny fit jeans akin to Max Wall trousers deserves sacking.

No sympathy from me.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
DB
July 9, 2022, 5:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
I lived in an era when the comedy ' Love Thy Neighbour ' was very popular, it was funny and nobody took offence. The PC brigade had yet to be born.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
Kris2
July 9, 2022, 5:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Quoted from DB
I lived in an era when the comedy ' Love Thy Neighbour ' was very popular, it was funny and nobody took offence. The PC brigade had yet to be born.

An era long gone thankfully. The quicker all the boomers die off the quicker we can actually make some progress as a society. A group of privileged people who got to be the target audience for the government your whole lives with everything handed to you from free education to cheap housing that your kids and grandkids will have to pay for are now mad you can't behave like cavemen anymore and have to live in a civilised society.

You can't discriminate against people because of race, gender or sexuality anymore....How terrible, whatever will you do with your life.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
DB
July 9, 2022, 6:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

An era long gone thankfully. The quicker all the boomers die off the quicker we can actually make some progress as a society. A group of privileged people who got to be the target audience for the government your whole lives with everything handed to you from free education to cheap housing that your kids and grandkids will have to pay for are now mad you can't behave like cavemen anymore and have to live in a civilised society.

You can't discriminate against people because of race, gender or sexuality anymore....How terrible, whatever will you do with your life.

I really feel for you. I lived in an era when murders only happened in London once or twice a year and not on a daily basis throughout the nation. Never knew of a murder in my local area when I was growing up. Doors were left open and unlocked throughout the day. Good wholesome food was grown in your own garden.

Unlike you, we never wished for anybody to die off, particularly our elder generations of parents or grandparents whom we respected. Nothing was handed to us as we and our parents had to work hard to make ends meet, working the land and double shifts in the factories.

Our society was very civilised, people respected each other and other people's property. Everybody knew everybody and were prepared to help each other, selfishness was unheard of and the police had respect. There was a local bobby who kept the law and order and knew everybody on his patch, including the local villains.

Your civilised society has people locking their doors during the day to keep people out. Neighbours who don't really know you. Ask a child where food comes from, Tesco's or the Spar. Can the majority of your civilised cook a meal or is it ready meals from the freezer or take away. Unlike yesteryear, your food is full of colourings and preservatives.

GP's were on call 24/7 and did full surgeries for all those who turned up, unlike the telephone triage system of today because they won't see you face to face.

Wanting people to die off to maintain what you want to call civilised is disgusting. It verges on Hitler wanting to kill off the Jews etc. for his Aryan race. You should be totally ashamed of yourself and to use the old saying " Have your mouth washed out with carbolic soap".

Finally, the one main sole thing that you forgot is this. These old people you refer to did you one great favour that you could never have done yourself. They created life, human beings and if it was not for your old relatives, who lived in my young era, you would not be on a keyboard today. You have a lot to be thankful for from the old generations, your life.

Stop being selfish and take the blinkers off.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
aldi_01
July 9, 2022, 6:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Murders did happen, everywhere, it was more to do with the met being a more advanced police force and having the resources.

Yes, love thy neighbour was popular but society has moved on and on the whole, most agree with it and have embraced it, sadly some lag behind and hide behind the ‘PC brigade has taken over’ rather than realising being racist/homophobic/sexist and any other for of discrimination makes you a girl private.

Bignot got the sack because he broke the law, intercourse all PC to do with that, he’s a flipping goon and he knew exactly what he was saying…had Bignot called someone a sharp object and their response mentioned his skin colour or whatever, would he have brushed it off? Unlikely. Would the responder have been severely reprimanded? Of course.

We can argue that the lack of a graduated response and simply imposing punitive measures rather than learning opportunities is a problem, it is but sadly, that is an issue with our conservative, draconian legal system. Ironically, the people moaning about these sorts of reactions and punishments are likely the very people who voted for a government obsessed with lengthy and obscenely punitive measures…you’ve done it to yourselves.

You need to strip away your hyper masculine white make privilege if you don’t think she’d had received a punishment had she said something equally as offensive and illegal…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
Maringer
July 9, 2022, 7:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
He'll be harking back to the good old days when you could give your missus a slap at this rate...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
mariner91
July 9, 2022, 7:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,653
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from DB

I really feel for you. I lived in an era when murders only happened in London once or twice a year and not on a daily basis throughout the nation. Never knew of a murder in my local area when I was growing up. Doors were left open and unlocked throughout the day. Good wholesome food was grown in your own garden.

Unlike you, we never wished for anybody to die off, particularly our elder generations of parents or grandparents whom we respected. Nothing was handed to us as we and our parents had to work hard to make ends meet, working the land and double shifts in the factories.

Our society was very civilised, people respected each other and other people's property. Everybody knew everybody and were prepared to help each other, selfishness was unheard of and the police had respect. There was a local bobby who kept the law and order and knew everybody on his patch, including the local villains.

Your civilised society has people locking their doors during the day to keep people out. Neighbours who don't really know you. Ask a child where food comes from, Tesco's or the Spar. Can the majority of your civilised cook a meal or is it ready meals from the freezer or take away. Unlike yesteryear, your food is full of colourings and preservatives.

GP's were on call 24/7 and did full surgeries for all those who turned up, unlike the telephone triage system of today because they won't see you face to face.

Wanting people to die off to maintain what you want to call civilised is disgusting. It verges on Hitler wanting to kill off the Jews etc. for his Aryan race. You should be totally ashamed of yourself and to use the old saying " Have your mouth washed out with carbolic soap".

Finally, the one main sole thing that you forgot is this. These old people you refer to did you one great favour that you could never have done yourself. They created life, human beings and if it was not for your old relatives, who lived in my young era, you would not be on a keyboard today. You have a lot to be thankful for from the old generations, your life.

Stop being selfish and take the blinkers off.

Literally everything was handed to you  . Free education, cheap housing, jobs for life, cheap petrol, cheap childcare. An average househould could comfortably live off one average salary but these days you have no chance. A lot of the social housing that was abundant has been sold off privately giving lots of the older generation either a cheap home or they've profited massively from selling them on due to the housing market going crazy. Young people these days either wait on a list for years for social housing or are at the mercy of landlord vultures (nearly always an older person) who rip them off with poor conditions and extortionate prices. As a generation, boomers literally just had to have a job and not make stupid financial or life decisions and they'd probably be reasonably well off today. A generation who is hoarding a massively disproportionate amount of wealth but not happy with that voted through Brexit, which the majority of people under 50 didn't want, because they didn't like there being a polish aisle in Asda. In the process removing lots of the opportunities they benefitted from themselves and irreversibly damaging the economy probably for at least a generation.

But yeah, poor you for not being able to openly laugh at things like Love Thy Neighbour anymore.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
Rick12
July 9, 2022, 7:39am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

Our society was very civilised, people respected each other and other people's property. Everybody knew everybody and were prepared to help each other, selfishness was unheard of and the police had respect.

It reminds me of what English people that have lived in some Muslim countries have said as well. A lot more respect for family and crime rates low . Across other cultures around the world this bears out as well eg where there is a sense of healthy community society tends to have low crime rates . Even in this country children and young people that commit crime tend to have unstable pasts eg lack of parental guidance eg never knew their father ,mums a alcoholic and live in areas where crime is more prevalent. Its easy to get sucked down a hole. It takes a strong character to rise above the negativity. With healthy guidance and effort on ones part though horrible pasts can be overcome. Its why I admire Denzel Washington in his equalizer films for one that trys to convey this . I note as well he is bringing out a third film of the equalizer films next year.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
DB
July 9, 2022, 8:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

A fact of life tells me that one day you will be a 'bloomer' so I presume you have a death wish and want to commit suicide while you'r young.

You talk about discriminating against people, but you are doing exactly this. Discriminating against the old and disabled.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
DB
July 9, 2022, 8:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
He'll be harking back to the good old days when you could give your missus a slap at this rate...

Just to make you aware that I have never and never will be in favour of violence towards women and certainly not a 'slap' as you put it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
lew chaterleys lover
July 9, 2022, 8:22am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

You can't discriminate against anyone any more apart from people who happened to be born in a different era to you and who you want to die off! You could not make this hypocrisy up.

Society has always progressed, always improved in certain ways but the trick is to give enough respect to people born before or after you, and understand that society evolves over time.

Remember too that one day society will move on faster than you can keep up with!
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
ska face
July 9, 2022, 9:15am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Boomers are literally the first generation in the history of humankind to pass down a lower standard of living to their children. All well and good going on about “respect your elders”, how about respect your kids?
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
fishboyUTM
July 9, 2022, 9:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Sorry but what he said is nowt and certainly not a sackable offence. I don't see how it is homophobic either and she started it. Much ado about nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 61
Brummie Codfather
July 9, 2022, 9:45am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 21
Without getting into the generational arguments, I know that if I said what Skinner did at work I’d be warned but if I said what Marcus did I’d be thrown out the door so quick my feet wouldn’t touch the floor & I think rightly so.
His comments undermine him with any gay player that might be in the Birmingham squad, so I don’t see how they had a choice but to sack him.
Plus having been called out by Marcus when we got battered by Crewe I reckon Skinner might have a point!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 61
Zmariner
July 9, 2022, 3:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Kris2

You want people to die to improve society , you are very strange and need to reflect on your bitterness
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 61
supertown
July 9, 2022, 4:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,458
Gold Stars: 53
The country is going to ratshit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 61
tashee69
July 9, 2022, 4:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from supertown
The country HAS GONE is going to ratshit.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 61
aldi_01
July 9, 2022, 5:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
If we think the reason the country’s gone to excrement is because a wage stealing charlatan sexist and homophobic sharp object got the sack then we’re actually copulated…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 61
forza ivano
July 9, 2022, 11:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,196
Gold Stars: 265
the countries copulated because half the people believed the brexit lie.

ps before you are all red x please explain were the ÂŁ350 million per week has gone to
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 61
ginnywings
July 10, 2022, 12:01am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from forza ivano

ps before you are all red x please explain were the ÂŁ350 million per week has gone to

52% crucially.

Otherwise you're right though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 61
Heisenberg
July 10, 2022, 12:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from forza ivano

Paying off the furlough scheme. That’ll take a generation. COVID was hardly Boris’ fault.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 61
promotion plaice
July 10, 2022, 12:19am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,068
Gold Stars: 198

It's time for this thread to go into Non Football, discuss it there.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 61
Maringer
July 10, 2022, 8:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

Paying off the furlough scheme. That’ll take a generation. COVID was hardly Boris’ fault.

The money to pay for furlough was created by Quantitative Easing and the bonds are held by the Asset Purchase Facility of the Bank of England.

Who owns the Bank of England? Erm, the UK government does.

So the BoE used QE to create the money for the government to spend on furlough (not to mention keep the economy going following the financial crisis in 200 and the government now owes the BoE (which it also owns) this money. The best bit is that the interest the government pays on the QE debt goes to pay down the national debt at the behest of the Chancellor!

Approximately a third of the national debt is owned by the APF. The government owes itself the money. We don't need to ignore it, but we don't need to worry about it, especially in the shorter term. The US is foolishly starting to unwind their QE instead of just rolling it over and renewing the bonds, but expect that to stop as soon as they realise the negative effects to the economy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 61
Southwark Mariner
July 4, 2023, 12:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 61
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Marcus Bignot

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.