Rick12
July 8, 2022, 11:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Zmariner
Idiotic comment by Marcus. Not a great comment by the lady. Does he really deserve to be hung out to dry so dramatically. Not for me, telling off re-education but don’t destroy his livelihood for it. I am sure that most of us have replied to somebody pointing out something that we incorrectly perceive as a weakness in them because we think it is a smart reply. Nothing to be proud of in heat of the moment But we probably didn’t lose our jobs and our livelihood from it.

Very well said. In my life I've met some women with stinking attitudes that really have wound me up but I wouldn't use any sexism towards them no matter how annoyed I get. I think partly Bignot may have used sexist language is with him growing up it has been prevalent in men's football. Likewise with homophobic banter as well. It has been so common in the male game across all cultures/ races though things are changing.

Again what some people don't realise is how tough it is to make in football professionally as very few make it . Compare this to other professions where it's a lot easier to get in and stay there. Likewise the harshness of the dog eat dog culture  can push people to the edge and it's why there are sometimes training ground bust-ups where players start physically fighting with each other . Likewise staying in the team once you've established yourself isn't easy either with someone always trying to take your position.

I personally liked Bignots refreshing interviews when he was here at Grimsby though . Spoke from the heart and seemed to care . He has let himself down on this occasion with the sexist comments though and I hope he learns from it. Having said that the women who wound Bignot up should also be punished as well as she isn't entirely blameless as you have pointed out .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 61
davmariner
July 8, 2022, 11:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Rick12

Very well said. In my life I've met some women with stinking attitudes that really have wound me up but I wouldn't use any sexism towards them no matter how annoyed I get. I think partly Bignot may have used sexist language is with him growing up it has been prevalent in men's football. Likewise with homophobic banter as well. It has been so common in the male game across all cultures/ races though things are changing.

Again what some people don't realise is how tough it is to make in football professionally as very few make it . Compare this to other professions where it's a lot easier to get in and stay there. Likewise the harshness of the dog eat dog culture  can push people to the edge and it's why there are sometimes training ground bust-ups where players start physically fighting with each other . Likewise staying in the team once you've established yourself isn't easy either with someone always trying to take your position.

I personally liked Bignots refreshing interviews when he was here at Grimsby though . Spoke from the heart and seemed to care . He has let himself down on this occasion with the sexist comments though and I hope he learns from it. Having said that the women who wound Bignot up should also be punished as well as she isn't entirely blameless as you have pointed out .

Bignot was a bullshitter.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 61
Rick12
July 8, 2022, 11:40am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

Bignot was a bullshitter.
Probably out of his depth at Grimsby but I didn't mind him as a person.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 61
darren9
July 8, 2022, 11:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
I can’t believe the amount of blokes on here condemning the other party for not being lady like or for starting the abuse or whatever. She called him a sharp object. It’s an unpleasant term but one that’s used often and probably heard during most games. There’s clearly a degree of misogyny in that we don’t like “our women” to use bad language. But that’s another discussion for another time.

If the Bignot had responded in kind. Called her a girl private or similar then it’s just a touch line bust up. But he didn’t. He responded with a homophobic comment.

It’s established in the laws of the game that homophobic comments aren’t allowed. There isn’t a sliding scale of “it’s not that homophobic” it’s just not allowed. Bignots comments were demonstrably homophobic and he’s been rightly punished.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 61
Rick12
July 8, 2022, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from darren9
I can’t believe the amount of blokes on here condemning the other party for not being lady like or for starting the abuse or whatever. She called him a sharp object. It’s an unpleasant term but one that’s used often and probably heard during most games. There’s clearly a degree of misogyny in that we don’t like “our women” to use bad language. But that’s another discussion for another time.

If the Bignot had responded in kind. Called her a girl private or similar then it’s just a touch line bust up. But he didn’t. He responded with a homophobic comment.

It’s established in the laws of the game that homophobic comments aren’t allowed. There isn’t a sliding scale of “it’s not that homophobic” it’s just not allowed. Bignots comments were demonstrably homophobic and he’s been rightly punished.
Laws are constantly changing all the time. The fact she instigated the argument with f this and f that and your a p**** could be deemed hostile or offensive/ aggressive behaviour  by some as well .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 61
lew chaterleys lover
July 8, 2022, 12:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
Punishments in this country seem out of kilter to most reasonable people. A touchline spat possibly means the end of a man's career? There have been touchline spats since Adam was a lad involving every type of derogatory term imaginable, but a handshake at the end of the game and it is all forgotten.

It seems very bad form that the opposition decided to complain when they were throwing around insults themselves if the account of what happened on here is correct.

A short touchline ban for both parties would have been appropriate.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 61
HertsGTFC
July 8, 2022, 12:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
Bignot just isn’t very intelligent I think we saw that when he was in charge at “the” BP.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 61
male private Nale
July 8, 2022, 2:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from GrimPol

He was done for homophobia, she is a Lesbian.

Be careful your probably not allowed to pigeon hole them as lesbians now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 61
OddShapedBalls
July 8, 2022, 4:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
I think Bignot made this massively worse all by himself to be honest, reading the statements he claimed that he didn't say it, that he didn't know she was a lesbian and that the Tottenham staff had all colluded to incriminate him was his defence......when it emerged that he worked with her partner at Birmingham, had asked said partner about Skinner etc and knew that she was gay, the comment itself was oddly specific about the lack of phallus in skinners life for someone who didn't know she was phallus-free and the spurs staff were all 'credible, compelling and articulate'.
I can't help but think that if he'd taken a different approach when the allegation was made he'd have come out of it better.  Maybe still without a job but at least employable in future without bringing a PR nightmare with him. A decent PR advisor would have been a better investment than a legal team.

Still, seeing as Skinner openly admitted to using 'improper, abusive or insulting language' herself, which was the charge brought against Bignot, and openly admitted to being the instigator of the exchange, I'm amazed she hasn't received a fine or lesser ban as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Marcus Bignot

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.