aldi_01
July 3, 2022, 9:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Maringer
Ogbu left us and went to a top division Swedish team where he scored a load of goals. This got him a move to the Chinese Premier League, where he scored a load of goals and he's now playing in the top division of South Korean football.

That indicates to me (along with what I saw with my own eyes), that he's got a decent amount of ability. Never quite clicked for him with us but we were a shambles during his time at the club. It's bizarre to claim he's a poor player.

Ogbu was shite…I’m not arsed what he’s done since he left town, the clamour for him from town fans was laughable. A truly woeful player in a town shirt…one of many in a long list, a list which increases significantly in the last 17 years, of woeful footballers who’ve somehow taken money out of the club for allegedly being a footballer.

For what it’s worth, Jones isn’t shite but he didn’t really fit in the middle, Holohan and Fox connected and we never looked back really…good move for him and you’d have imagine Hurst and their gaffer have probably had a decent chat about him…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
jamesgtfc
July 3, 2022, 10:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
Think he's done well to get that deal having failed to impress at two clubs who finished below Solihull in the league last season.
Perhaps a reflection of Solihull's ambitions for the new season.

Chesterfield game, once he settled in, he looked quality and the perfect partner for Holohan. After that though he seemed to get unfitter, slower and less like a footballer.

Odd one. Something in there but needs someone to get it out of him on a far, far more consistent basis.

I got told that Joey Jones problem is that when he makes a mistake, he doesn't keep things simple for a few minutes, he continues to make mistakes by trying more and more outrageous things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
RonMariner
July 3, 2022, 10:09am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,799
Gold Stars: 226
Dagenham fans told us that he had about one good game in three, and that is more or less what we saw.

I am surprised to see Solihull in for him. At the final they looked to have a pretty solid midfield even with Jamie Osbourne out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Madeleymariner
July 3, 2022, 10:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
The trouble with Jones was he never moved quicker than a jog, there were times he would lose the ball in midfield and everyone in front of him would get back to defend before he did. I could out sprint him and I'm nearly 60.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
Davec
July 3, 2022, 11:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Jones just seemed the average bog standard national League player, does have some ability and for one game he looks excellent (chesterfield away) for the next 5 games he looks chaotic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
MrThirsty
July 3, 2022, 2:02pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Ogbu was shite…I’m not arsed what he’s done since he left town, the clamour for him from town fans was laughable. A truly woeful player in a town shirt…one of many in a long list, a list which increases significantly in the last 17 years, of woeful footballers who’ve somehow taken money out of the club for allegedly being a footballer.

Well of course it's all about opinions but in this case I think you're the one who is off the mark. In the EFL cup game against Doncaster he played a loan hand up front, took a ball, turned his defender, drove at the defence and laid off the ball to Cook perfectly to score the only goal of the game. Without his contribution in that game we wouldn't have played Chelsea and the money from that game more than covered any money he took from the club. As far as I'm concerned he showed enough in other games that he had enough about him, as other posters have shown regarding his career since. He can't be blamed for a disfunctional set up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
Heisenberg
July 3, 2022, 2:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from MrThirsty

Well of course it's all about opinions but in this case I think you're the one who is off the mark. In the EFL cup game against Doncaster he played a loan hand up front, took a ball, turned his defender, drove at the defence and laid off the ball to Cook perfectly to score the only goal of the game. Without his contribution in that game we wouldn't have played Chelsea and the money from that game more than covered any money he took from the club. As far as I'm concerned he showed enough in other games that he had enough about him, as other posters have shown regarding his career since. He can't be blamed for a disfunctional set up.

I’m not sure we played Chelsea during that era, did we?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
Davec
July 3, 2022, 2:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Heisenberg

Yes we did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
forza ivano
July 3, 2022, 3:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Heisenberg

yes we did. Don't think Ogbu played in the Chelsea game, but he was recalled for the Exeter game on the Saturday where he was (along with a few others) brilliant, in a superb team performance

As with most things Ogbu was neither of the extremes described here. He was capable of being very good, but they were fleeting glimpses. He certainly wasn't the worst forward we've had. There's long list much more mediocre names from 20-21 and the non league wilderness years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
Heisenberg
July 3, 2022, 3:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from forza ivano

yes we did. Don't think Ogbu played in the Chelsea game, but he was recalled for the Exeter game on the Saturday where he was (along with a few others) brilliant, in a superb team performance

As with most things Ogbu was neither of the extremes described here. He was capable of being very good, but they were fleeting glimpses. He certainly wasn't the worst forward we've had. There's long list much more mediocre names from 20-21 and the non league wilderness years

Wow, I’ll admit I am shocked by that! I thought Ogbu was YEARS ago!! And when you said ‘Cook’ I assumed Andy Cook. Was it Jordan Cook then?

I know all about the Chelsea game as I was there, but Christ, I’d forgotten all about Ogbu!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Joey Jones

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.