Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 2, 2022, 10:18am
Signs for Solihull Moors. Can't say he was that good for us after the Chesterfield game but good luck to him
Posted by: PoutonStepover, July 2, 2022, 11:15am; Reply: 1
Worst player to pull on a town shirt since Moses Ogbu.
Posted by: Nutsy, July 2, 2022, 11:17am; Reply: 2
Quoted from PoutonStepover

Ogbu was decent in spells! Ogbu Hanson Green looked decent for a bit - definetly worse players to choose from!
Posted by: Hagrid, July 2, 2022, 11:22am; Reply: 3

oh yeah lets just forget James Morton, Virgil Gomis, Ira Jackson, Montel Gibson and all the other flipping dross Holloway signed and got us relegated with

ffs
Posted by: oochiad, July 2, 2022, 11:23am; Reply: 4
After the season they’ve had Jones is a bit of a downgrade for them I would have thought………
Posted by: Macca_D, July 2, 2022, 11:23am; Reply: 5
serge, Terry Barwick, brodie, colin cramb i could go on and on but i dont want to depress myself
Posted by: Nutsy, July 2, 2022, 11:25am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Hagrid

oh yeah lets just forget James Morton, Virgil Gomis, Ira Jackson, Montel Gibson and all the other flipping dross Holloway signed and got us relegated with

ffs

Tbf Hagrid, I totally forgot if individual names! Think I had voided that whole period!
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 2, 2022, 11:28am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Macca_D
serge, Terry Barwick, brodie, colin cramb i could go on and on but i dont want to depress myself

I can see this turning into another “Worst Town XI” thread.

Some right crackers there.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 2, 2022, 1:40pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Stew0_0
Signs for Solihull Moors. Can't say he was that good for us after the Chesterfield game but good luck to him

He must have a good agent
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 2, 2022, 1:42pm; Reply: 9
Virgil Gomis and Touray Sissy are right up there for me.
Posted by: TAGG, July 2, 2022, 2:14pm; Reply: 10
If he can turn that what he showed in the Chesterfield game on a regular basis he will be a good signing but I doubt it.
Good luck to the lad though, think he was proud to wear the shirt and gave all he could.
Posted by: Kris2, July 2, 2022, 2:44pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Virgil Gomis and Touray Sissy are right up there for me.

You saw Touray Sisay play a game? I don't go to reserves games or games for other teams so he was a total non factor to me. The only time I saw his face was running along the promenade once with Ira Jackson.

Might turn out Joey Jones is a good move for Solihull. He showed flashes of having a footballing brain and some vision but seemed lost in the shuffle a lot of the time and made a lot of mistakes. Maybe a fresh start and a pre season with a new team will be good for him. Never looked up to much on loan with us but also had some issues with Dagenham so maybe just a bad season for him.
Posted by: toontown, July 2, 2022, 8:04pm; Reply: 12
Did see sissay come on for us as sub in 1 game - he was really poor.

What really brought home how bad he wa s though was when we loaned him to cleethorpes town he couldn't even get in the team there!
Posted by: MrThirsty, July 2, 2022, 10:05pm; Reply: 13

One of the most ridiculous posts I’ve read on here
Posted by: LH, July 2, 2022, 11:06pm; Reply: 14
Someone told me that when Sisay turned up to his first training session a senior pro genuinely asked the staff if he was a raffle winner.
Posted by: Kris2, July 2, 2022, 11:40pm; Reply: 15
Goal machine in the Welsh Premier...Although this is the worst standard of professional football I've known in the UK. It's like going to the local park to watch Sunday league, size of that goalie. https://youtu.be/VlULbE7KpxY
Posted by: PoutonStepover, July 3, 2022, 12:58am; Reply: 16
Quoted from MrThirsty

One of the most ridiculous posts I’ve read on here

You must skip most of the drivel that’s gets posted on there then.

Ogbu couldn’t trap a bag of potatoes. 90% of his touches were backing into a player and playing the ball behind one of his teammates.

Sissay on the other hand…. A good mate plays for Clee town, and he told me all the lads there were of the opinion that he was not a professional footballer and never would be.
Posted by: Maringer, July 3, 2022, 7:42am; Reply: 17
Ogbu left us and went to a top division Swedish team where he scored a load of goals. This got him a move to the Chinese Premier League, where he scored a load of goals and he's now playing in the top division of South Korean football.

That indicates to me (along with what I saw with my own eyes), that he's got a decent amount of ability. Never quite clicked for him with us but we were a shambles during his time at the club. It's bizarre to claim he's a poor player.
Posted by: toontown, July 3, 2022, 8:20am; Reply: 18

You must skip most of the drivel that’s gets posted on there then.

Ogbu couldn’t trap a bag of potatoes. 90% of his touches were backing into a player and playing the ball behind one of his teammates.

Sissay on the other hand…. A good mate plays for Clee town, and he told me all the lads there were of the opinion that he was not a professional footballer and never would be.

Except he was a professional player. With us.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 3, 2022, 9:39am; Reply: 19
Think he's done well to get that deal having failed to impress at two clubs who finished below Solihull in the league last season.
Perhaps a reflection of Solihull's ambitions for the new season.

Chesterfield game, once he settled in, he looked quality and the perfect partner for Holohan. After that though he seemed to get unfitter, slower and less like a footballer.

Odd one. Something in there but needs someone to get it out of him on a far, far more consistent basis.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 3, 2022, 9:58am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Maringer
Ogbu left us and went to a top division Swedish team where he scored a load of goals. This got him a move to the Chinese Premier League, where he scored a load of goals and he's now playing in the top division of South Korean football.

That indicates to me (along with what I saw with my own eyes), that he's got a decent amount of ability. Never quite clicked for him with us but we were a shambles during his time at the club. It's bizarre to claim he's a poor player.

Ogbu was shite…I’m not arsed what he’s done since he left town, the clamour for him from town fans was laughable. A truly woeful player in a town shirt…one of many in a long list, a list which increases significantly in the last 17 years, of woeful footballers who’ve somehow taken money out of the club for allegedly being a footballer.

For what it’s worth, Jones isn’t shite but he didn’t really fit in the middle, Holohan and Fox connected and we never looked back really…good move for him and you’d have imagine Hurst and their gaffer have probably had a decent chat about him…
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 3, 2022, 10:03am; Reply: 21
Quoted from diehardmariner
Think he's done well to get that deal having failed to impress at two clubs who finished below Solihull in the league last season.
Perhaps a reflection of Solihull's ambitions for the new season.

Chesterfield game, once he settled in, he looked quality and the perfect partner for Holohan. After that though he seemed to get unfitter, slower and less like a footballer.

Odd one. Something in there but needs someone to get it out of him on a far, far more consistent basis.

I got told that Joey Jones problem is that when he makes a mistake, he doesn't keep things simple for a few minutes, he continues to make mistakes by trying more and more outrageous things.
Posted by: RonMariner, July 3, 2022, 10:09am; Reply: 22
Dagenham fans told us that he had about one good game in three, and that is more or less what we saw.

I am surprised to see Solihull in for him. At the final they looked to have a pretty solid midfield even with Jamie Osbourne out.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 3, 2022, 10:14am; Reply: 23
The trouble with Jones was he never moved quicker than a jog, there were times he would lose the ball in midfield and everyone in front of him would get back to defend before he did. I could out sprint him and I'm nearly 60.
Posted by: Davec, July 3, 2022, 11:20am; Reply: 24
Jones just seemed the average bog standard national League player, does have some ability and for one game he looks excellent (chesterfield away) for the next 5 games he looks chaotic.
Posted by: MrThirsty, July 3, 2022, 2:02pm; Reply: 25
Ogbu was shite…I’m not arsed what he’s done since he left town, the clamour for him from town fans was laughable. A truly woeful player in a town shirt…one of many in a long list, a list which increases significantly in the last 17 years, of woeful footballers who’ve somehow taken money out of the club for allegedly being a footballer.

Well of course it's all about opinions but in this case I think you're the one who is off the mark. In the EFL cup game against Doncaster he played a loan hand up front, took a ball, turned his defender, drove at the defence and laid off the ball to Cook perfectly to score the only goal of the game. Without his contribution in that game we wouldn't have played Chelsea and the money from that game more than covered any money he took from the club. As far as I'm concerned he showed enough in other games that he had enough about him, as other posters have shown regarding his career since. He can't be blamed for a disfunctional set up.
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 3, 2022, 2:14pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from MrThirsty

Well of course it's all about opinions but in this case I think you're the one who is off the mark. In the EFL cup game against Doncaster he played a loan hand up front, took a ball, turned his defender, drove at the defence and laid off the ball to Cook perfectly to score the only goal of the game. Without his contribution in that game we wouldn't have played Chelsea and the money from that game more than covered any money he took from the club. As far as I'm concerned he showed enough in other games that he had enough about him, as other posters have shown regarding his career since. He can't be blamed for a disfunctional set up.

I’m not sure we played Chelsea during that era, did we?!
Posted by: Davec, July 3, 2022, 2:53pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Heisenberg

Yes we did.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 3, 2022, 3:23pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Heisenberg

yes we did. Don't think Ogbu played in the Chelsea game, but he was recalled for the Exeter game on the Saturday where he was (along with a few others) brilliant, in a superb team performance

As with most things Ogbu was neither of the extremes described here. He was capable of being very good, but they were fleeting glimpses. He certainly wasn't the worst forward we've had. There's long list much more mediocre names from 20-21 and the non league wilderness years
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 3, 2022, 3:54pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from forza ivano

yes we did. Don't think Ogbu played in the Chelsea game, but he was recalled for the Exeter game on the Saturday where he was (along with a few others) brilliant, in a superb team performance

As with most things Ogbu was neither of the extremes described here. He was capable of being very good, but they were fleeting glimpses. He certainly wasn't the worst forward we've had. There's long list much more mediocre names from 20-21 and the non league wilderness years

Wow, I’ll admit I am shocked by that! I thought Ogbu was YEARS ago!! And when you said ‘Cook’ I assumed Andy Cook. Was it Jordan Cook then?

I know all about the Chelsea game as I was there, but Christ, I’d forgotten all about Ogbu!
Posted by: blundellpork, July 3, 2022, 3:56pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from forza ivano

Agree that Ogbu played really well in that away game at Exeter.
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 4, 2022, 7:26am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Hagrid

ffs

James Morton is on trial with Notts County, god bless them
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 4, 2022, 11:19am; Reply: 32
Was it Mansfield away, early on in Holloway's reign, where we went down to 10-men and Ogbu absolutely battered their backline?

He certainly isn't or wasn't shite.  Erratic, unpredictable and frustrating perhaps.  But shite?  Not for me.  
Posted by: mariner91, July 4, 2022, 11:32am; Reply: 33
He wasn’t even the worst player in that squad, let alone the worst in 20 years or whatever the original quote was.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 4, 2022, 3:15pm; Reply: 34
Aye. He wasn't even the worst striker we signed that window!
Posted by: toontown, July 4, 2022, 6:53pm; Reply: 35
Ogbu was highly inconsistent, not just between matches and within matches but within the same move, doing the difficult thing well then making a pigs ear of an easy pass or shot or similar. Dreadfully frustrating rather than simply dreadful. Certainly carried a lot more threat than Matt Green.

I thought he was alright in that game against Mansfield but didn't Holloway, after ogbu had gone, say that he was unable or unwilling to follow his instructions in that match and he didn't play for us after that. Or I might be mixing that up with something else.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 4, 2022, 7:11pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from toontown
Ogbu was highly inconsistent, not just between matches and within matches but within the same move, doing the difficult thing well then making a pigs ear of an easy pass or shot or similar. Dreadfully frustrating rather than simply dreadful. Certainly carried a lot more threat than Matt Green.

I thought he was alright in that game against Mansfield but didn't Holloway, after ogbu had gone, say that he was unable or unwilling to follow his instructions in that match and he didn't play for us after that. Or I might be mixing that up with something else.

The southern twit ( I can't say, or even type his name) said Moses was not supposed "to do that"...not sure what "that" was, but he wasn't supposed to do it, then let him go stating he "was homesick"...
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 4, 2022, 7:20pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

The southern twit ( I can't say, or even type his name) said Moses was not supposed "to do that"...not sure what "that" was, but he wasn't supposed to do it, then let him go stating he "was homesick"...

I recall the southern twit criticising the other players for not looking out for him too but this article implies Ogbu thought he should play and the southern twit didn't want him:

[url]https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=37066[/url]
Posted by: Maringer, July 4, 2022, 9:14pm; Reply: 38
I suspect it was one of Holloway's earliest lies after joining the club. Lots of guff about Ogbu suffering from homesickness, not being happy, not 'One of my boys' (or somesuch nonsense). Just didn't want to be honest and admit he didn't want him.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 4, 2022, 9:43pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Maringer
I suspect it was one of Holloway's earliest lies after joining the club. Lots of guff about Ogbu suffering from homesickness, not being happy, not 'One of my boys' (or somesuch nonsense). Just didn't want to be honest and admit he didn't want him.

Because he had all these exciting young strikers queueing up to join us. Gomis, Morton, Jackson Jr, Sissay and the baby gender reveal party guy.
Posted by: TonySmith, July 4, 2022, 11:11pm; Reply: 40
Maybe the problem wasn't that Moses ignored Holloway's instructions, but rather that he didn't have a clue what the bloke was talking about! Most of the time, neither did the rest of us!
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 10:03pm