Private Message Skype
mariner91
July 1, 2022, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,727
Gold Stars: 262
Joins us as a wide player. That gives us Wearn, JMD, Clifton and Khan. I quite like that. Possibly get another if Clifton is going to be playing central but we've got options and quality there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 75
MarinerDevil
July 1, 2022, 7:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Happy with how our attacking setup is coming together.  Khan looks to have pace and agility and will hopefully provide more end product.  Takes a good free-kick too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 75
acko338
July 1, 2022, 7:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
Hurst knows him and will hopefully get the very best out of him - another 2 year contract - signings have intent in this pre-season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 75
BenBB
July 1, 2022, 7:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
"He's a lift, going up" chant anyone?  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 75
ginnywings
July 1, 2022, 7:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Another good signing, who looks to have goals and assists in him.

Not used to this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 75
LH
July 1, 2022, 7:48pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,582
Gold Stars: 175
According to Wikipedia he is a former Ninja Warrior contestant and has turned down Pakistan international football in the hope of playing for England.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 75
always grimsby
July 1, 2022, 7:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +279
Gold Stars: 7
Another good signing . Right age plenty of experience at this level . They will need a mini bus to bring all the Sheffield based lads here .
Hurst the driver it should I say the driving force
In Hurst we trust UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 75
quebec38
July 1, 2022, 8:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Clifton
Wearne

McAtee

Khan
JM-D

*and potentially Scannell

I guess we might be set for the three positions behind Taylor now. I don’t know much about Khan or Wearne but it sounds like they can cover anywhere across there too.

Hope we crack on now in central midfield.

Squad is shaping up really nicely.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 75
Mariner56
July 1, 2022, 8:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +276
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from LH
According to Wikipedia he is a former Ninja Warrior contestant and has turned down Pakistan international football in the hope of playing for England.

https://youtu.be/Xf0VBYSX8kM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 75
Mariner56
July 1, 2022, 8:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +276
Gold Stars: 3
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 75
RonMariner
July 1, 2022, 8:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,804
Gold Stars: 226
Over 200 games in L2. Good to bring in a player with that level of experience of the division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 75
ginnywings
July 1, 2022, 8:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from RonMariner
Over 200 games in L2. Good to bring in a player with that level of experience of the division.

Almost 40 career goals too, which is not too shabby for someone who has been played at right back at times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 75
RonMariner
July 1, 2022, 8:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Almost 40 career goals too, which is not too shabby for someone who has been played at right back at times.

Indeed. And with JMD and Holohan able to bag a few too it looks like we have some goal threat from several areas. Plus Waterfall and Efete know where the net is too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 75
Withnail
July 1, 2022, 8:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
I think this will prove to be a very astute signing.

Shaping up nicely now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 75
forza ivano
July 1, 2022, 8:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,276
Gold Stars: 266
I'm going to reserve judgement on this one. 26, never settled anywhere and questionable attitude
Quotes from Yeovil fans ( the place where he's stayed the longest - 2 seasons and 67 games)

I would be happy to see him come back. Still fairly young.

Awful attitude

he got banned for our big FA Cup tie with Man United (his 'boyhood club') after he didn't get a decision his way so chased the ref and grabbed him. He then went onto social media to beg that he could be allowed to play.

Hmm. I didn't dislike him (though think in a minority). But that was a desperately struggling period for us, and almost anyone with anything about them could vaguely shine. His career since looks a bit meh; but you'd need to ask supporters of those clubs about that.

Quality player and would welcome him back.

excrement, big head, don’t waste your money

Good player when he first arrived,,but was not a team player,

Liked him at first but got too full of himself and downed tools during a crunch relegation six pointer I seem to recall

He has something about him, but too many times he'd be bullied out of games. And in fairness, anybody with a bit of flair would've looked amazing in THAT squad. He had a pretty bad attitude and certainly thought he was a lot better than he was but I don't know if that has changed at his other clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 75
Tommy
July 1, 2022, 8:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from forza ivano
I'm going to reserve judgement on this one. 26, never settled anywhere and questionable attitude
Quotes from Yeovil fans ( the place where he's stayed the longest - 2 seasons and 67 games)

Awful attitude

he got banned for our big FA Cup tie with Man United (his 'boyhood club') after he didn't get a decision his way so chased the ref and grabbed him. He then went onto social media to beg that he could be allowed to play.

Hmm. I didn't dislike him (though think in a minority). But that was a desperately struggling period for us, and almost anyone with anything about them could vaguely shine. His career since looks a bit meh; but you'd need to ask supporters of those clubs about that.

Liked him at first but got too full of himself and downed tools during a crunch relegation six pointer I seem to recall

He has something about him, but too many times he'd be bullied out of games. And in fairness, anybody with a bit of flair would've looked amazing in THAT squad. He had a pretty bad attitude and certainly thought he was a lot better than he was but I don't know if that has changed at his other clubs.

Sounds very similar to some of the quotes from Scunny fans about McAtee

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 75
ginnywings
July 1, 2022, 8:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Hurst will sort him out. Been chasing him for 2 years, so I imagine he knows what he's getting.

Interesting that PH sees him as a winger, so it will be him and JMD fighting it out for a starting place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 75
GrimExile
July 1, 2022, 8:56pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Quoted from forza ivano

Awful attitude

The one big strength in Hurst’s recruitment is he not only gets the player he thinks will do a job for him, but just as importantly he assesses their character. All of his teams at Grimsby have had unity and a superb team spirit. Therefore to use a phrase often mentioned on here; in Hurst we trust!! #UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 75
Withnail
July 1, 2022, 8:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Quoted from forza ivano

Awful attitude

I take your point Forza but fans of Cantona's previous clubs in France weren't very complimentary about him before he moved to England.

Hopefully Hurst can get the best out of Khan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 75
Tommy
July 1, 2022, 8:59pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from ginnywings
Hurst will sort him out. Been chasing him for 2 years, so I imagine he knows what he's getting.

Interesting that PH sees him as a winger, so it will be him and JMD fighting it out for a starting place.

I can see JMD not lasting the season if he doesn't address his fitness/stamina issues very quickly.

These new additions in that area of the pitch (Wearne, Khan) both look to have good technical quality but also seem very mobile and fit.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 75
ginnywings
July 1, 2022, 9:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Tommy

I can see JMD not lasting the season if he doesn't address his fitness/stamina issues very quickly.

These new additions in that area of the pitch (Wearne, Khan) both look to have good technical quality but also seem very mobile and fit.

Think you are right Tommy.

It's up to JMD now to add fitness to his ability, because ability alone isn't good enough. It's evident that our fitness and stamina played a massive part in our promotion and Hurst mentioned JMD wasn't too chuffed to be on the sidelines for the final, but that he told him the reasons why and he needs to respond with hard work if he wants game time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 75
forza ivano
July 1, 2022, 9:11pm

Exile
https://lofcforum.com/forum1/p.....8eee75cd559d#p273892

orient fans reaction.

Second place I've seen that says we've paid a fee for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 75
Mariner_09
July 1, 2022, 9:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Tommy

I wouldn't be surprised if JMD gets shipped out to somewhere like Woking or Dagenham relatively early doors next season. He's never going to be an athlete and, on paper, the lads we've signed seem better bets. JMD has been in the league before and not quite hacked it. I still expect us to sign another winger.

With regards Khan and these questions surrounding his attitudes, we heard very similar, if not worse, reports from Scunny fans regarding McAtee. It seems Omar struggles to settle at other clubs. Hursty has got a tune out of the pair of them where virtually everyone else has failed. May look daft in a few months but I think if Hursty can get a tune out of him, and I think he will, he'll look a cut above at this level and defenders won't know how to deal with him. Seen somewhere he has a wicked set piece delivery as well, which as we know can be a massive weapon, especially with Waterfall in the team.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 75
wuffing
July 1, 2022, 9:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +841
Gold Stars: 38
I khan see him being very good....

Coat.....

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 75
jamesgtfc
July 1, 2022, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mariner_09

I wouldn't be surprised if JMD gets shipped out to somewhere like Woking or Dagenham relatively early doors next season. He's never going to be an athlete and, on paper, the lads we've signed seem better bets. JMD has been in the league before and not quite hacked it. I still expect us to sign another winger.

With regards Khan and these questions surrounding his attitudes, we heard very similar, if not worse, reports from Scunny fans regarding McAtee. It seems Omar struggles to settle at other clubs. Hursty has got a tune out of the pair of them where virtually everyone else has failed. May look daft in a few months but I think if Hursty can get a tune out of him, and I think he will, he'll look a cut above at this level and defenders won't know how to deal with him. Seen somewhere he has a wicked set piece delivery as well, which as we know can be a massive weapon, especially with Waterfall in the team.

I don't think he will go back to Woking!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 75
Poojah
July 1, 2022, 9:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,672
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Mariner_09

I’d be very surprised if he went back to Woking after his alleged fibs that enabled his move here in the first place. But for me his a player with quality and end product, and there’s a very good chance we wouldn’t have been promoted without him.

He’s going to need to be fitter in League Two, no question about it. So it’s up to him really whether he wants a career at this level (or above), because whatever happens it won’t be a question of ability.

A fit and athletic JMD would be a real asset, if such a thing is possible.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 75
AdamHaddock
July 1, 2022, 9:34pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,844
Gold Stars: 26
Who needs Le Tiss? We've got Otis

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 75
blundellpork
July 1, 2022, 9:49pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Loads of references to JMD becoming fitter, but I just don’t see it.

He was at the club for months, played plenty of minutes, and never looked any fitter. Technically he’s very good, but he’s not particularly quick or mobile, and I can’t see that improving. He’s a good player for us, who has weighed in with plenty of goals and assists, but I would suggest what we have seen so far is probably the finished product.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 75
Rodley Mariner
July 1, 2022, 9:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
JMD has a lot of ability. This is probably his last chance as a football league player so hopefully he realises that and gets fit. If he does he'll be plenty good enough for League 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 75
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
July 1, 2022, 9:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Who needs Le Tiss? We've got Otis

Ba dum tis
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 75
ginnywings
July 1, 2022, 9:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
JMD has a lot of ability. This is probably his last chance as a football league player so hopefully he realises that and gets fit. If he does he'll be plenty good enough for League 2.

That's my feeling too.

It's down to him now. He could be really good, or end up at Whitehawk like that other skillful but unfit winger we had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 75
ska face
July 1, 2022, 10:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,760
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from blundellpork

He was at the club for months, played plenty of minutes, and never looked any fitter. Technically he’s very good, but he’s not particularly quick or mobile, and I can’t see that improving. He’s a good player for us, who has weighed in with plenty of goals and assists, but I would suggest what we have seen so far is probably the finished product.

He came in at the end of November having missed most of the previous 2 months, did reasonably well for us for a spell and was head & shoulders above anyone on the pitch before getting an injury at home to Bromley that put him out until mid-March.

Not surprising that he’s not managed to build up the kind of stamina you’d want having had such a stop-start season. He does have a fairly languid style and is more likely to beat someone with trickery than pace & power, though I’d expect him to look good after a proper pre-season under Hurst and not whatever Dog & Duck work they were doing at Woking.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 75
MuddyWaters
July 1, 2022, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
His name is a lift, his name is a liiifftt, Otis Khhaaan, his name is a lift.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 75
Odear
July 1, 2022, 10:24pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +33
Got the 'ump about losing Khan!  He was a January signing for us last season and is head and shoulders above the other signings. Very good in possession and a pretty good  playmaker. Not very quick but OK, hopeless in the air and don't use him as a fullback, he thinks he can cover at RB,  he can't. A solid EFL2 player, probably you made an offer we couldn't refuse.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 75
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 1, 2022, 10:32pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Is this bloke Irish?

O'Tiskhan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 75
TownSNAFU5
July 1, 2022, 10:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,904
Gold Stars: 42
Hurst must rate him highly if tracking him and paying a fee for him. Allegedly.    I trust Hurst.  Cantona and Roy Keane were known bad boys who delivered under the right manager.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 75
TheultimateMariner
July 1, 2022, 11:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Hurst must rate him highly if tracking him and paying a fee for him. Allegedly.    I trust Hurst.  Cantona and Roy Keane were known bad boys who delivered under the right manager.  

A lot of people seem to be mentioning a fee, but I’ve not read anywhere that there’s a fee involved. I just assumed he never quite kicked on at Orient and they were happy to get rid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 75
moosey_club
July 1, 2022, 11:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
We are his tenth club...as a 26yr old...that's more than one club per year of his professional career.
That doesn't inspire confidence in me that this could be a long term success....however be glad to be proved wrong

Edit.....mind you if he plays more than about 70mins then he will be an improvement on Grant so ......good signing.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 75
grimsby pete
July 1, 2022, 11:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,829
Gold Stars: 222
Welcome Otis let's hope your stay is a long and successful one.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 75
forza ivano
July 1, 2022, 11:53pm

Exile
Quoted from moosey_club
We are his tenth club...as a 26yr old...that's more than one club per year of his professional career.
That doesn't inspire confidence in me that this could be a long term success....however be glad to be proved wrong

Edit.....mind you if he plays more than about 70mins then he will be an improvement on Grant so ......good signing.

i tend to agree with you Moosey. I was thinking that watching Amos develop would be 1 of the interesting sub plots of the season, but now we've got 2 flawed wingers to watch. The unfit JMD v the perennial underachiever Khan (i jest)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 75
jamesgtfc
July 2, 2022, 12:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from moosey_club

Until he joined Yeovil he was just a young lad finding his way. So since joining Yeovil in 2016, we are his 6th club. Mansfield paid an undisclosed fee for him in 2018, he spent 2 years there but got sent on loan to Newport in January 2020. He only managed 5 games but Covid halted that season remember. Tranmere in for the 2020-21 season and they offered him a deal last summer which he rejected. He didn't play much for Walsall but he played 3 full games on the spin before he left for Orient, hardly the kind of thing a manager does to someone he needs gone due to attitude problems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 75
forza ivano
July 2, 2022, 12:23am

Exile
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Until he joined Yeovil he was just a young lad finding his way. So since joining Yeovil in 2016, we are his 6th club. Mansfield paid an undisclosed fee for him in 2018, he spent 2 years there but got sent on loan to Newport in January 2020. He only managed 5 games but Covid halted that season remember. Tranmere in for the 2020-21 season and they offered him a deal last summer which he rejected. He didn't play much for Walsall but he played 3 full games on the spin before he left for Orient, hardly the kind of thing a manager does to someone he needs gone due to attitude problems.

except that the story is that he screwed up re the tranmere deal, used walsall to get fit  & get playing again,, and then fecked off to orient as soon as it suited him
as i said I reserve judgement. the saving grace is that I'm sure he will be out the the door pdq if he is a bad apple
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 75
HertsGTFC
July 2, 2022, 6:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Appears to be a good signing and it feels like Hurst is getting the players he is going for rather than the ones in the markdown section.

Just a ball playing CM now and we’ll be good to start the season, that said I’d expect a couple more incoming.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 75
wiggers
July 2, 2022, 8:22am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +474
Gold Stars: 11
Anyone else think he looks a bit like Ivano Bonetti?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 75
Croxton
July 2, 2022, 8:58am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Appears to be a good signing and it feels like Hurst is getting the players he is going for rather than the ones in the markdown section.

Just a ball playing CM now and we’ll be good to start the season, that said I’d expect a couple more incoming.

It's the priority as I see it. We have to be able to ' play through the thirds ' and manage games more effectively this year. Holohan can pick a pass but he hasn't Harry's athleticism and vice versa. Someone in the Alex Hunt mould would be a good fit.

A loan signing for such a crucial role is too risky after what happened last January so an up and coming young 'un on a two year contract might add energy to the midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 75
vinno69
July 2, 2022, 9:10am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +57
A Mansfield supporting friend says Otis will our player of the season, if his head is right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 75
Maringer
July 2, 2022, 9:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
I'd actually say that Holohan isn't the best at picking a pass and, in fact, coughs up possession a little too often. However, his athleticism and strength helped to secure central midfield especially when Fox came back from his injury and he's got goals in him as well. It sounds as though Khan is more of a ball player than either Holohan or Clifton so it will be interesting to see what sort of combination or formation Hurst intends to play. Is Khan going to be played out wide or in a central 3?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 75
quebec38
July 2, 2022, 9:33am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
I thought we would maybe see Wearne McAtee and Clifton behind Taylor at the start of the season but I don’t think we could have signed Khan as a back-up, although we all know Hurst has the nuts to leave players out if they aren’t performing. So I think it will be Wearne/Clifton - McAtee - Khan now.

I think we have finally found Clifton’s best position. He really seemed to crack that offensive whilst still defensive, wide position last season towards the end. Possibly helped by Hurst releasing the shackles a touch during the last couple of months. He started getting in to the box more than ever whilst fulfilling defensive duties behind and central too all whilst on his wrong side. I won’t lie I don’t like the idea of him in a central two unless needs must.

As for Holohan, I hope we haven’t seen the best of him yet. He was steady but let’s be honest, Fox played like 10 men through the play-offs which made it easier for him. His best attribute so far has been scoring goals. I’m not against Holohan in the two but he needs an outstanding partner IMO. He should be a good squad player at worst, but I am hoping for two very good central midfield additions still which for me is more important now than any other position. I would like to see another centre forward to push Taylor and Orsi but I think we can get away with that more than we can the middle of the midfield. I don’t think we will, but if we start the season with Holohan partnering Clifton, it won’t see us reach our full potential this year.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 75
Tommy
July 2, 2022, 9:36am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Maringer
I'd actually say that Holohan isn't the best at picking a pass and, in fact, coughs up possession a little too often. However, his athleticism and strength helped to secure central midfield especially when Fox came back from his injury and he's got goals in him as well. It sounds as though Khan is more of a ball player than either Holohan or Clifton so it will be interesting to see what sort of combination or formation Hurst intends to play. Is Khan going to be played out wide or in a central 3?

I agree Holohan isn't the incisive passer, more in the Disley mould of box-to-box and gets goals (only he looks capable of lashing them in from distance as well).

With Khan, I think Hurst has said he sees him as a wide player, which would indicate he will play in either of the wider roles of the 3 players behind the striker (in our 4231).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 75
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 2, 2022, 10:03am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from blundellpork

His fitness or lack thereof may be down to (as Graham Taylor famously said of Paul Gascoigne) how he refuels. That is his decision and responsibility. No amount of game time and training sessions will change that.

By the way, I don't know if it is an issue but could be an explanation for his level of fitness.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 75
DB
July 2, 2022, 11:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 390
JMD's fitness may be a problem at times, but it's also about being in the right place at the right time. In the 111th minute on the 5 June he was in the right place at the right time.

We might question his fitness but we owe him a lot.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 75
scott
July 2, 2022, 11:54am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +130
Gold Stars: 1
On the YouTube video when he's in the physio room the female physio has a university of Lincoln uniform on so looks like there is some kind of partnership there which is good to see.

I quite like looking at the backroom facilities and trying look at what's improved. I wonder how many new staff we take on, new coaches, physios etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 75
ginnywings
July 2, 2022, 12:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from scott
On the YouTube video when he's in the physio room the female physio has a university of Lincoln uniform on so looks like there is some kind of partnership there which is good to see.

I quite like looking at the backroom facilities and trying look at what's improved. I wonder how many new staff we take on, new coaches, physios etc

Everything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 75
TownSNAFU5
July 2, 2022, 12:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,904
Gold Stars: 42
You have it spot on DB.I was going to post similar comments.  And he was an inspired sub at the right time in the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 75
RonMariner
July 2, 2022, 1:30pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
You have it spot on DB.I was going to post similar comments.  And he was an inspired sub at the right time in the game.

Apart from the goal he played a great dummy to let MacAtee in for the equaliser.

Also he delivered the balls into the box for both goals at Notts in the quarter final.  So he made a huge contribution to our promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 75
Heswall Mariner
July 2, 2022, 1:31pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
If for whatever reason Khan's contract was cancelled by Orient then we got him on a free.
If not cancelled he still had 12 months left on that contract & we would have had to pay a fee for him
I speculate that his contract was cancelled & Hurst will do a Jon Nolan on him.
I can't find anything out there on this one. Anybody?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 75
Connecticut Mariner
July 2, 2022, 3:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +730
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
If for whatever reason Khan's contract was cancelled by Orient then we got him on a free.
If not cancelled he still had 12 months left on that contract & we would have had to pay a fee for him

BBC transfer listings page says it was a “free” but not mentioned in article on BBC League 2 page
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 75
Stew0_0
July 3, 2022, 11:13am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
https://youtu.be/xVfORMYeNPI

More finishing like this please....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 75
moosey_club
July 3, 2022, 12:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Quoted from Stew0_0

Was that Tommy Forecast in goal ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 75
pontoonlew
July 3, 2022, 12:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

They signed George Moncur the day before which likely left him not guaranteed a place in the side and I’d imagine the money saved on his wages meant it was easier to let him go, happens a lot at this level where fees are a rarity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 75
Nutsy
July 3, 2022, 12:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Orsi
Wearne - McAtee - Khan
Clifton - Holohan
Glennon - Maher - Waterfall - Efete
Crocombe

Certainly stronger looking than our last L2 season squads - as mentioned a few more first team names and we are looking decent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 75
ska face
July 3, 2022, 12:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,760
Gold Stars: 851

His fitness or lack thereof may be down to (as Graham Taylor famously said of Paul Gascoigne) how he refuels. That is his decision and responsibility. No amount of game time and training sessions will change that.

By the way, I don't know if it is an issue but could be an explanation for his level of fitness.

He might be a teetotal health-food fanatic for all anyone on here knows!
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 75
HertsGTFC
July 3, 2022, 1:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Nutsy
Orsi
Wearne - McAtee - Khan
Clifton - Holohan
Crocombe

Certainly stronger looking than our last L2 season squads - as mentioned a few more first team names and we are looking decent.

It’s getting decent, still think we need a better passer of the ball than Clifton or Holohan in the middle, I know I’ve gone on about this but an Alex Hunt type player.

I’d expect a couple more but if nobody else comes in we could start the season with what we’ve got I can’t remember that being the case for a couple of decades.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 75
July 3, 2022, 1:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from Stew0_0

This is REALLY impressive! UTM.
Reply: 64 - 75
Theimperialcoroner
July 3, 2022, 2:00pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,259
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Nutsy
Orsi
Wearne - McAtee - Khan
Clifton - Holohan
Crocombe

I’d imagine Taylor would start up front at first.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 75
livvo
July 3, 2022, 2:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from 123614

Nice finishing, but the keeper must have had concrete boots on 🤣
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 75
thevera
July 3, 2022, 2:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Quoted from 123614

Really impressive, trouble is in League 2 the goalkeeper moves occasionally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 75
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 3, 2022, 2:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,948
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from 123614

Am knackered just watching it

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 75
toontown
July 3, 2022, 3:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
On the orient forum they keep referring to Khan as being a CM player so maybe he played there for them at least some of the time and is an option there for us? Perhaps Odear can clarify if he is still lurking?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 75
ginnywings
July 3, 2022, 4:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from toontown
On the orient forum they keep referring to Khan as being a CM player so maybe he played there for them at least some of the time and is an option there for us? Perhaps Odear can clarify if he is still lurking?

PH says he has brought him in as a winger, which they both say is his best position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 75
Madeleymariner
July 3, 2022, 5:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
If his shooting is so good why doesn't he score 20 a season  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 75
WelwynGardener
July 3, 2022, 5:55pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 6
Seems to me that both Wearne and Khan are predominantly right footers. Are they competing for the same slot? Do we have a left-sided midfielder/winger with a predominantly left foot delivery-or this Glennon pushed forward with Amos at the back?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 75
Superdan147
July 3, 2022, 6:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Otis Khan is a winger , that’s the position he did so well for Yeovil , and also Mansfield. That’s the position he’s coming here for, right winger to create, assist and score. He’s said thats his best position and Paul hurst agreed. It’s a credit to his ability and versatility he’s played other roles (wing back, central midfield) at other clubs but in doing so, he hasn’t produced the same goal/assist return as he did 4/5 years ago. We just don’t know how this signing, or any signing will turn out but IF hes played in his favoured position and rediscovers that form on his Yeovil days particular, we have a real player on our hands, I’ve seen him 3/4 times first hand and always impressed, his stats back that up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 75
AidansArmy99
July 4, 2022, 2:19am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -30
Quoted from quebec38
Clifton
Wearne

McAtee

Khan
JM-D

*and potentially Scannell

I guess we might be set for the three positions behind Taylor now. I don’t know much about Khan or Wearne but it sounds like they can cover anywhere across there too.

Hope we crack on now in central midfield.

Squad is shaping up really nicely.

Can't forget Holohan aha

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 75
Jarmo.Is.God
July 4, 2022, 12:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from WelwynGardener
Seems to me that both Wearne and Khan are predominantly right footers. Are they competing for the same slot? Do we have a left-sided midfielder/winger with a predominantly left foot delivery-or this Glennon pushed forward with Amos at the back?

I think days of having a left footer on the left, and right footer on the right are very much irrelevant these days.
They change sides during the game anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 75
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Otis Khan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.