9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
topuphere666
July 1, 2022, 7:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Nice bit on sky sports news with Macca following his release, talking about how hard it is for lower league players once released from their clubs.

I hope he gets fitted out soon for next season!

Legend of the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
HertsGTFC
July 1, 2022, 7:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from topuphere666
Nice bit on sky sports news with Macca following his release, talking about how hard it is for lower league players once released from their clubs.

I hope he gets fitted out soon for next season!

Legend of the club.

I hope he does too, saw a couple of bits on Twitter that suggests he may be struggling to get something decent sorted.

Makes you wonder really what happens to a bloke with 3 kids who’s income stops or is vastly reduced. A large part of professional football bears no relation to what we see on the telly there certainly is a hard edge for a lot of pros.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 89
topuphere666
July 1, 2022, 8:33am
Vodka Drinker
Anything league 2 and lower could be life changing for a lot of players come July 1st each year.

You’d like to think JM has earnt well with us, and has prepared for the future to a certain extent, but of course, you do live to your means when the money rolls in.

Someone mentioned him doing his PGCE, a teacher salary will be extremely low compared to what he’s been on I’d imagine.

I did wonder if he’ll end up back at Boston part time but on relatively good money for that league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 89
aldi_01
July 1, 2022, 8:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from topuphere666
Anything league 2 and lower could be life changing for a lot of players come July 1st each year.

You’d like to think JM has earnt well with us, and has prepared for the future to a certain extent, but of course, you do live to your means when the money rolls in.

Someone mentioned him doing his PGCE, a teacher salary will be extremely low compared to what he’s been on I’d imagine.

I did wonder if he’ll end up back at Boston part time but on relatively good money for that league.

Not just the salary but the workload, accountability, fixed term dates and joining a profession that’s seeing more folk leave than join.

I’d imagine that plenty of footballers have to adapt and I’d guess that however good we think Macca is, the fact he’s not been snapped up yet might suggest different or he’s perhaps waiting for an offer that may not come along. Who knows.

He could definitely play for someone like Boston though and teach, unless they’d want full time commitment.  

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 89
gtfc_chris
July 1, 2022, 9:43am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 114
Just on the footballer to teaches route, it may (or may not) be of interest that former left back Greg Young is a teacher at a school in Doncaster.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 89
DB
July 1, 2022, 9:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from aldi_01

Not just the salary but the workload, accountability, fixed term dates and joining a profession that’s seeing more folk leave than join.

I’d imagine that plenty of footballers have to adapt and I’d guess that however good we think Macca is, the fact he’s not been snapped up yet might suggest different or he’s perhaps waiting for an offer that may not come along. Who knows.

He could definitely play for someone like Boston though and teach, unless they’d want full time commitment.  

In the sky vid, he gives the impression that he didn't follow the teaching path.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 89
topuphere666
July 1, 2022, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Yea, strange. He spoke about not focusing in school and was doing his CV. The only offer he’s had was to train at York
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 89
GtfcGarner
July 1, 2022, 9:54am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +31 / -13
Approval: +1,788
Gold Stars: 26
Been one of towns highest earners for the past few years hasn’t he on circa 1700 a week? Surely you’d of squirrelled a bit away should things go pear shaped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 89
Tinymariner
July 1, 2022, 10:12am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I really hope he gets a club soon, would any Town fans mind if he went to Scunny? I actually want the best for him, regardless of where he plays.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 89
diehardmariner
July 1, 2022, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Tinymariner
I really hope he gets a club soon, would any Town fans mind if he went to Scunny? I actually want the best for him, regardless of where he plays.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone earning a wage to look after their family.

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 89
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.