lew chaterleys lover
July 1, 2022, 12:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm not really bothered about ex players. They come and go, but obviously some leave more of an impression than others and Macca falls into that category. He's earned a good living for a decade but no one is indispensable.

He's still young for a goalie and he'll get fixed up somewhere, but he surely must have been aware of the possibility that his days were numbered here and has had plenty of time to get his situation sorted. I reckon PH will have let him know in good time that he wasn't going to be retained and he's in a far healthier financial position than a lot of people are.

I wish him well and don't mind who he plays for, as he's no longer a GTFC player.

And he has had a testimonial year as a reward for his long service so he is lucky in that respect. He has been a good servant but has been well rewarded for it and must be in a better position than most players coming to the end of their contract.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 89
RichMariner
July 1, 2022, 12:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
He lives locally and has three kids. I suspect he's looking for a local(ish) club because you wouldn't want to be moving across the country, and moving house, with all those costs to bear, plus uprooting your kids and taking them from schools and friends... and losing childcare options from grandparents that may also have moved to live close by...

It suddenly doesn't seem worth it for a 1-year contract (unless he moves alone, lives away and comes back when he can during the week).

Not for me, but maybe something footballers just have to get used to.

Like others have said, I'm sure he'd take something local, even if it's on vastly reduced terms, and use his time to forge a career for when he finally hangs up his gloves.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 89
Perkins
July 1, 2022, 12:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
I wish him well wherever he goes, been a great servant to the club, made some brilliant saves that kept us in games at times, but also dropped some clangers, like all keepers do. Genuine bloke but like most players it became obvious that his time here was up, so despite his comments on Sky, i'm sure he had prepared himself for the outcome at the end of the season. i'm sure he'll be playing for someone next season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 89
topuphere666
July 1, 2022, 12:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Think your post will help with that Ska  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 89
LondonMariner43
July 1, 2022, 12:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
I find this a surprising story.  Firstly, it must have been apparent for a while that this was likely - I guess he might have hoped for a new contract but it seems odd not to have had some inkling.  Secondly, he seems a sensible guy so he must have knowing the football career would end at some point and made some preparations for it??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 89
crusty ole pie
July 1, 2022, 12:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,326
Gold Stars: 66
Are we not looking for a goal keeping coach ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 89
RichMariner
July 1, 2022, 12:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Thing I don't quite understand is that keepers tend to reach their peak later than outfield players.

Macca should be at the peak of his powers right now.

Keepers who look after themselves and make smart transfer decisions can continue until they're pushing 40.

It's sad that it feels like his career is winding down but there's absolutely no reason why he can't enjoy a resurgence somewhere — if only he can find a club at this level to take a punt on him.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 89
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 1, 2022, 12:13pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +836
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Are we not looking for a goal keeping coach ?

Yeh he could teach all our keepers how to catch crosses........oh no hang on.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 89
Tinymariner
July 1, 2022, 12:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Did he have a testimonial match?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 89
ginnywings
July 1, 2022, 12:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Tinymariner
Did he have a testimonial match?

Yep!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 89
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.