4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
April 30, 2022, 9:48pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

By mutual consent.

I think Holloway would be a good fit there, loads of experience at a higher level and simply a tactical genius.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
GollyGTFC
April 30, 2022, 9:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,958
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from promotion plaice

By mutual consent.

I think Holloway would be a good fit there, loads of experience at a higher level and simply a tactical genius.

No. Neil Cox.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 33
Theimperialcoroner
April 30, 2022, 9:50pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,206
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No. Neil Cox.

You’re both wrong Russell Slade and Lincoln are a match made in heaven.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
jamesgtfc
April 30, 2022, 9:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from promotion plaice

By mutual consent.

Big appointment coming up for them as they are no longer riding the crest of a wave the Cowley's created.

Be interesting to see how they approach it. Fans  on Twitter are worried they might end up with Steve Evans which would be hilarious.

Since Danny Cowley joined Lincoln and was then replaced by Appleton, Hurst II is our 6th manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
GollyGTFC
April 30, 2022, 9:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,958
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

You’re both wrong Russell Slade and Lincoln are a match made in heaven.

What's Mike Lyons up to these days?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 33
HertsGTFC
April 30, 2022, 9:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
I bet Jolley applies …… again?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
TAGG
April 30, 2022, 10:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
He will rock up at Bradford City next week.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
aldi_01
April 30, 2022, 10:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Few Lincoln fans reckon the lad from Cambridge could be incoming…

Genuine Impa fans aren’t too happy Appleton has gone…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 1, 2022, 10:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from aldi_01
Few Lincoln fans reckon the lad from Cambridge could be incoming…

Genuine Impa fans aren’t too happy Appleton has gone…

Strong rumours locally that Cowleys might be returning and I wouldn’t be surprised if they are removed from the Portsmouth job given their relatively poor season. Seems mixed reaction to Appleton moving on, think he has a pretty dour personality and their football this season nowhere near the quality they had witnessed in the previous season when they made the playoffs final but they had some quality loanees, like Brennan Johnson who is an excellent player.

Also heard that the playing budget is being cut next year which given their crowds is a little surprising and maybe the new investment expected from their American directors appointed last year has not materialised.

Anyway makes my trips to the local a whole lot more enjoyable especially when the two Scunny supporting villagers are in hoping for a quiet night 😀😀
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
HertsGTFC
May 1, 2022, 10:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Appleton's a decent coach and to be fair he's clearly had some distractions away from football. Wil be interesting to see if the Cowley's move back to a smaller club because the job they have now is proving a bit challenging.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
Garth
May 1, 2022, 10:25am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Hurst anyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
quebec38
May 1, 2022, 10:29am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
The Cowley’s were great for Lincoln but towards the end they wanted more and more, which I don’t think went down too well. I don’t know exactly what they have now at Portsmouth but they have a lot bigger ground and fan base and it seems a bit of stability off the pitch? If they can achieve promotion with Portsmouth then who knows where they could end up. I don’t think the same could be said at Lincoln. It would be a bad move to go back IMO but I think it’s unlikely anyway.

Seems strange what has happened with Appleton. At a guess I would say he feels like he can’t take the club any further without more money and whereas the bottom half of League One is good for Lincoln, it’s not good for him.

I think Lincoln are in a position where they are one half-dodgy managerial appointment away from a struggle and succumbing to the drop.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
mariner paul
May 1, 2022, 11:58am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +30
Runaway = bullshit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
RonMariner
May 1, 2022, 12:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,672
Gold Stars: 226
Perhaps they need some more advice from Fenty. I seem to recall him offering words of wisdom to them once before. Or did I dream that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
somersetmariner
May 2, 2022, 1:58am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Yeah Fenty gave Lincoln advice prior to being relegated to the conference….how to prepare for life in Non League whilst not sacrificing ones wardrobe.

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
aldi_01
May 2, 2022, 4:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
Perhaps they need some more advice from Fenty. I seem to recall him offering words of wisdom to them once before. Or did I dream that?

No, you didn’t dream it, he did offer his pearls of wisdom. They went down. Although, in his defence, they were already a shambles…

Sadly, he didn’t go to them for advice when we both found ourselves back in the league.

This decision to let Appleton go hasn’t really been met with unanimous approval from Lincoln fans and is being seen as a bit of an odd move given what’s happened this year and through pre season.

Time will tell whether or not it’s a good move, with all that said, I’d happily swap places with them…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
Bristol Mariner
May 2, 2022, 10:12am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Fenty and May on their way there

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
diehardmariner
May 3, 2022, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,610
Gold Stars: 538
The Cowley's did very well in their earlier career because they had an edge on those around them.  The big shift at Lincoln was a switch to a much more professional approach.  They linked up with the Uni and got heavily involved in Sports Science.  At the fifth and four tier of the game, it was streets above what most could offer and/or afford.  

As they went up the ladder their edge was reduced as most, if not all, clubs had that approach embedded.  Tactically they've always struck me as quite limited but incredibly organised.  You'll get away with that at those levels, just not at the higher ones and I think they just got found out at as they progressed.  

They won't be the first or last to do so, but taking a step back down to Lincoln doesn't strike me as part of their plan.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
aldi_01
May 3, 2022, 11:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
The Cowley's did very well in their earlier career because they had an edge on those around them.  The big shift at Lincoln was a switch to a much more professional approach.  They linked up with the Uni and got heavily involved in Sports Science.  At the fifth and four tier of the game, it was streets above what most could offer and/or afford.  

As they went up the ladder their edge was reduced as most, if not all, clubs had that approach embedded.  Tactically they've always struck me as quite limited but incredibly organised.  You'll get away with that at those levels, just not at the higher ones and I think they just got found out at as they progressed.  

They won't be the first or last to do so, but taking a step back down to Lincoln doesn't strike me as part of their plan.  

I’d tend to agree with this. What they did at Lincoln is nothing to be scoffed at and no doubt will forever be lodged in the minds of those Lincoln fans that were there on those dark days getting dumped out the cup by made up teams.

It was, however, incredibly basic and as they progressed it became more apparent that it wasn’t going to work and when they found themselves at Huddersfield it failed. I know the club is owned by an odd ball but as you say, those things that made them unique and stand out at Lincoln weren’t anything special at that level. Will they succeed at Pompey, who knows but of the Lincoln fans I know, they were sad to see them go but realised it was needed long term….weirdly though, they’re not overly happy with the decision of Appleton leaving.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
tanga_the_indestructible
May 4, 2022, 9:58am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +620
Gold Stars: 5
Apparently, they're in for Stephen Bradley at Shamrock Rovers (they've won the FAI the last two seasons). Looks like another decent appointment if it goes through.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
marinerdazza
May 4, 2022, 10:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,856
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from quebec38

I think Lincoln are in a position where they are one half-dodgy managerial appointment away from a struggle and succumbing to the drop.

This. Could prove to be their "sacking Graham Alexander moment".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
Les Brechin
May 12, 2022, 4:40pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Michael Carrick the surprising front-runner for the job.

Will be a very interesting appointment if it happens.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.c.....city-manager-7062748

I also notice that they have Paul Hurst at 12/1.

Ignore all that, I see that they have appointed Mark Kennedy as their new boss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61426440

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Poojah
May 12, 2022, 4:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,530
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Les Brechin
Michael Carrick the surprising front-runner for the job.

Will be a very interesting appointment if it happens.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.c.....city-manager-7062748

I also notice that they have Paul Hurst at 12/1.

Ignore all that, I see that they have appointed Mark Kennedy as their new boss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61426440

Kennedy? Bit underwhelming that, ‘innit?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
NorfolkImp
May 14, 2022, 2:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Poojah

Kennedy? Bit underwhelming that, ‘innit?

Not really, I trust Clive and the board implicitly and I’m certain they’ve given this a lot of thought.

First impressions are very good, and Kennedy comes across very well. Think the PR Skills and attention to detail of Danny Cowley, and the expertise coaching wise of Appleton and I think we might have another Critchley (Blackpool) or Manning (MK Dons) on a 4 year deal.  

1st season requirements to stay in League 1, anything else being a bonus for me, but not being ‘bullied’ in home games, which happened last term, is important too.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 14, 2022, 2:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Not really, I trust Clive and the board implicitly and I’m certain they’ve given this a lot of thought.

First impressions are very good, and Kennedy comes across very well. Think the PR Skills and attention to detail of Danny Cowley, and the expertise coaching wise of Appleton and I think we might have another Critchley (Blackpool) or Manning (MK Dons) on a 4 year deal.  

1st season requirements to stay in League 1, anything else being a bonus for me, but not being ‘bullied’ in home games, which happened last term, is important too.

Was told by an LCFC part time employee that there are budget cuts in place next year and there is a significant clear out of non football employees behind the scenes. He also said CliveNates may be coming to the end of his time as Chairman and that there is hope that the American investors will up their financial interest in the club.

He feels that the club are over reacting to their first disappointing season in a while. All seems a bit odd given crowds have remained high so income should be maintained with previous years.

Anyway just hope it all goes awry and the Imps get back to struggling in league 2 and I can increasingly enjoy my trips to the local.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Poojah
May 14, 2022, 2:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,530
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Happy to bow to your better knowledge of the man, but on the surface looking from the outside in, 12 games in management at a lower level, with an 8.3% win rate (that’s one game) is, indeed, ‘a bit underwhelming’.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
quebec38
May 14, 2022, 2:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Said to a Lincoln fan at work the other day the exact same thing - “underwhelming appointment”. Response was almost identical to the one above “Clive knows what he’s doing” bla bla bla. I get there isn’t much to criticise there these days but are these lot brainwashed or something? I wasn’t for one minute baiting the guy - Kennedy could end up being a great appointment, but there is no doubting it is the very definition of underwhelming.

Just re-read the reply by NI. Impressive stuff deducing from a couple of interviews that the new guy combines the best skills of the Cowley’s and Appleton. I don’t know how this will work out any better than anyone else, but that comment is just pure delusion.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
buckstown
May 14, 2022, 3:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,180
Not sure how long he's been there but it's difficult to construct an argument that the chairman of Lincoln has a bad track record at anything!
The trust they seem to put in him is really impressive and very unusual for a football club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
aldi_01
May 14, 2022, 5:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
It’s underwhelming however you look at it. That doesn’t mean it won’t work out but I’m pretty sure the new fans weren’t expecting it…

Could be a good move and if the club are cutting their cloth then fair play but I guess there’s a few folk at the club don’t remember how excrement it used to be…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
mariner91
May 14, 2022, 8:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,644
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Listens to him in one interview and can come to these conclusions   clown.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
AdamHaddock
May 14, 2022, 11:22pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
I remember how good a game Jolley talked when we appointed him

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
chicaneuk
May 15, 2022, 7:07am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from AdamHaddock
I remember how good a game Jolley talked when we appointed him

I still think Jolley was an interesting / ambitious appointment and I generally liked him as our manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
NorfolkImp
May 15, 2022, 8:40am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from mariner91

Listens to him in one interview and can come to these conclusions   clown.

Not at all, I’ve listened to his interview at Birmingham City when installed there alongside Lee Bowyer, which was much more in depth. I’ve listened to the reporter from Birmingham Mail on how popular he was with players and other staff.

Of course it can all go horribly wrong, nothing is a given in football, but being handed a 4 year contract shows faith in his ability and I’m happy with that.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
Hagrid
May 15, 2022, 8:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,401
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Not at all, I’ve listened to his interview at Birmingham City when installed there alongside Lee Bowyer, which was much more in depth. I’ve listened to the reporter from Birmingham Mail on how popular he was with players and other staff.

Of course it can all go horribly wrong, nothing is a given in football, but being handed a 4 year contract shows faith in his ability and I’m happy with that.

Shows a big payoff if it goes wrong

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln part company with Appleton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.