Reply: 10 - 33
quebec38
May 1, 2022, 10:29am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
The Cowley’s were great for Lincoln but towards the end they wanted more and more, which I don’t think went down too well. I don’t know exactly what they have now at Portsmouth but they have a lot bigger ground and fan base and it seems a bit of stability off the pitch? If they can achieve promotion with Portsmouth then who knows where they could end up. I don’t think the same could be said at Lincoln. It would be a bad move to go back IMO but I think it’s unlikely anyway.

Seems strange what has happened with Appleton. At a guess I would say he feels like he can’t take the club any further without more money and whereas the bottom half of League One is good for Lincoln, it’s not good for him.

I think Lincoln are in a position where they are one half-dodgy managerial appointment away from a struggle and succumbing to the drop.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
mariner paul
May 1, 2022, 11:58am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +30
Runaway = bullshit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
RonMariner
May 1, 2022, 12:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,656
Gold Stars: 226
Perhaps they need some more advice from Fenty. I seem to recall him offering words of wisdom to them once before. Or did I dream that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
somersetmariner
May 2, 2022, 1:58am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Yeah Fenty gave Lincoln advice prior to being relegated to the conference….how to prepare for life in Non League whilst not sacrificing ones wardrobe.

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
aldi_01
May 2, 2022, 4:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from RonMariner
Perhaps they need some more advice from Fenty. I seem to recall him offering words of wisdom to them once before. Or did I dream that?

No, you didn’t dream it, he did offer his pearls of wisdom. They went down. Although, in his defence, they were already a shambles…

Sadly, he didn’t go to them for advice when we both found ourselves back in the league.

This decision to let Appleton go hasn’t really been met with unanimous approval from Lincoln fans and is being seen as a bit of an odd move given what’s happened this year and through pre season.

Time will tell whether or not it’s a good move, with all that said, I’d happily swap places with them…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
Bristol Mariner
May 2, 2022, 10:12am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Fenty and May on their way there

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
diehardmariner
May 3, 2022, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,534
Gold Stars: 536
The Cowley's did very well in their earlier career because they had an edge on those around them.  The big shift at Lincoln was a switch to a much more professional approach.  They linked up with the Uni and got heavily involved in Sports Science.  At the fifth and four tier of the game, it was streets above what most could offer and/or afford.  

As they went up the ladder their edge was reduced as most, if not all, clubs had that approach embedded.  Tactically they've always struck me as quite limited but incredibly organised.  You'll get away with that at those levels, just not at the higher ones and I think they just got found out at as they progressed.  

They won't be the first or last to do so, but taking a step back down to Lincoln doesn't strike me as part of their plan.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
aldi_01
May 3, 2022, 11:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from diehardmariner
The Cowley's did very well in their earlier career because they had an edge on those around them.  The big shift at Lincoln was a switch to a much more professional approach.  They linked up with the Uni and got heavily involved in Sports Science.  At the fifth and four tier of the game, it was streets above what most could offer and/or afford.  

As they went up the ladder their edge was reduced as most, if not all, clubs had that approach embedded.  Tactically they've always struck me as quite limited but incredibly organised.  You'll get away with that at those levels, just not at the higher ones and I think they just got found out at as they progressed.  

They won't be the first or last to do so, but taking a step back down to Lincoln doesn't strike me as part of their plan.  

I’d tend to agree with this. What they did at Lincoln is nothing to be scoffed at and no doubt will forever be lodged in the minds of those Lincoln fans that were there on those dark days getting dumped out the cup by made up teams.

It was, however, incredibly basic and as they progressed it became more apparent that it wasn’t going to work and when they found themselves at Huddersfield it failed. I know the club is owned by an odd ball but as you say, those things that made them unique and stand out at Lincoln weren’t anything special at that level. Will they succeed at Pompey, who knows but of the Lincoln fans I know, they were sad to see them go but realised it was needed long term….weirdly though, they’re not overly happy with the decision of Appleton leaving.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
tanga_the_indestructible
May 4, 2022, 9:58am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +620
Gold Stars: 5
Apparently, they're in for Stephen Bradley at Shamrock Rovers (they've won the FAI the last two seasons). Looks like another decent appointment if it goes through.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln part company with Appleton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.