Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunthorpe Utd v Rochdale ... I was there.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 117 Guests

Scunthorpe Utd v Rochdale ... I was there.

This thread currently has 7,175 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
February 21, 2022, 5:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,398
Gold Stars: 149
Feel for people like yourself Lee who have to suffer as we did. Nice Post and welcome back here, hopefully people will see you're a genuine concerned fan and not on here to cause disruption
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 45
February 21, 2022, 5:40pm
Guest User
Quoted from Lee Hodges Burger
Scunny fan. Before I begin, I must say that I am not one who gloated at past Grimsby misery (you can check my posting history if you don't believe me).

But, yeah, the club is in an absolute state and too many, including myself, have been too oblivious to the nature of Swann. It should have been a warning sign when he started egotistical legal actions against anyone remotely critical, started hounding the local press or when he appointed his own flipping son as chief scout (and claimed it was the manager's choice, in some Trumpian word play). However, we were too giddy about his false promises and competing at the right end of league one to notice.

He will no doubt blame everything on covid, but we're not unique or say that he gave it a go this January with some signings. However, it's too little too late. The damage has been done with the shambolic transfer policies of the past. Who in their right mind would want to come here now?

And it's not just the squad. As poor as the transfers have been and abysmal handling of contracts (which was a problem when we were in league one) there is the off field disasters. The scoreboard doesn't work, the drains are blocked, the toilets clogged, seats covered in bird poo, food is awful (literally a hot dog in a bun with no onion, mustard, ketchup or anything else) and is often out of stock. Then there's the shoddy bar service, where staff would rather have a chat among themselves than serve you.

Some of these may seem trivial, but they all add up to a perception that the club is run amateurishly. Stuff like poor food can be forgiven if everything else is fine, but it isn't. Clogged toilets and blocked drains are indicative of institutional rot. Then there's the fact  Swann has asset stripped us and has us bang to rights with owning the ground via his company. But, he says he will give it back at the end of the season. Though, he previously said it protected us for 99 years. God knows what he intends, but everything is contradictory and untrustworthy. The guy is an irascible and arrogant egoist whenever he is interviewed. This shameless chancer has destroyed everything about this club. It no longer feels like a club with spirit or community feel. It feels like a zombie club somehow clinging on.

I think everyone's jaded. He even destroyed what protest spirit we had. Back in October there was growing discontent with protests being mooted, then he promised to change and everyone just hoped. Now it feels dead and powerless. I hope something changes soon, hopefully our more boisterous fans let their feelings known soon, because it looks like more false promises and disaster under Swann. Especially, if (as many fear) he wants to scrap our stadium for his apartment plans.

So many parallels.
Reply: 31 - 45
jamesgtfc
February 21, 2022, 5:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Scunny fan. Before I begin, I must say that I am not one who gloated at past Grimsby misery (you can check my posting history if you don't believe me).

But, yeah, the club is in an absolute state and too many, including myself, have been too oblivious to the nature of Swann. It should have been a warning sign when he started egotistical legal actions against anyone remotely critical, started hounding the local press or when he appointed his own flipping son as chief scout (and claimed it was the manager's choice, in some Trumpian word play). However, we were too giddy about his false promises and competing at the right end of league one to notice.

He will no doubt blame everything on covid, but we're not unique or say that he gave it a go this January with some signings. However, it's too little too late. The damage has been done with the shambolic transfer policies of the past. Who in their right mind would want to come here now?

And it's not just the squad. As poor as the transfers have been and abysmal handling of contracts (which was a problem when we were in league one) there is the off field disasters. The scoreboard doesn't work, the drains are blocked, the toilets clogged, seats covered in bird poo, food is awful (literally a hot dog in a bun with no onion, mustard, ketchup or anything else) and is often out of stock. Then there's the shoddy bar service, where staff would rather have a chat among themselves than serve you.

Some of these may seem trivial, but they all add up to a perception that the club is run amateurishly. Stuff like poor food can be forgiven if everything else is fine, but it isn't. Clogged toilets and blocked drains are indicative of institutional rot. Then there's the fact  Swann has asset stripped us and has us bang to rights with owning the ground via his company. But, he says he will give it back at the end of the season. Though, he previously said it protected us for 99 years. God knows what he intends, but everything is contradictory and untrustworthy. The guy is an irascible and arrogant egoist whenever he is interviewed. This shameless chancer has destroyed everything about this club. It no longer feels like a club with spirit or community feel. It feels like a zombie club somehow clinging on.

I think everyone's jaded. He even destroyed what protest spirit we had. Back in October there was growing discontent with protests being mooted, then he promised to change and everyone just hoped. Now it feels dead and powerless. I hope something changes soon, hopefully our more boisterous fans let their feelings known soon, because it looks like more false promises and disaster under Swann. Especially, if (as many fear) he wants to scrap our stadium for his apartment plans.

What is his reason for giving the ground back at the end of the season rather than now? Be interesting to see if he follows through with that promise.

So many parallels between Swann and the man he hates being compared to but in many ways, Swann is a lot worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 45
mimma
February 21, 2022, 6:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
For all his faults, Fenty never flogged Blundell park and wasted what money he got.

Once we've paid him off he is gone. It won't be that easy for scunny to pay off Swann and buy the ground back, and that is if they can find someone to take it on.

I know a lot of scunny fans and I feel for them. Yes we had banter but the ones I know never rubbed my nose in it.

They are in a lot worse mess than we were, but we got lucky, in that there were a couple of fans that took it on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 45
Meza
February 21, 2022, 6:56pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
This is were the EFL fall down for me, yes Swann owns the clubs etc, but with neglect there should be a kick him out clause or if the club was mistreated then the club gets re-processed and handed to the trust etc or something like that.  I can see Swanny being a little sh*t if the fans decide to protest more and more.  i fear what will happen next for Scunny.  Some wont give two hoots, but i generally feel for the fans we are rivals and this shouldnt be ignored (rivalry is important).  I'm not sure without someone willing to pay him off were i see a future for them.

Swann Out

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 45
KingstonMariner
February 21, 2022, 7:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Just think, if Fenty had still been in charge now, and our crowds were down to 2500, with none of the improvements made since May, there’d be people on here who’d be saying “be careful what you wish for, we could be in Bury’s position or Scunthorpe’s”.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 45
jamesgtfc
February 21, 2022, 9:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from mimma
For all his faults, Fenty never flogged Blundell park and wasted what money he got.

Once we've paid him off he is gone. It won't be that easy for scunny to pay off Swann and buy the ground back, and that is if they can find someone to take it on.

I know a lot of scunny fans and I feel for them. Yes we had banter but the ones I know never rubbed my nose in it.

They are in a lot worse mess than we were, but we got lucky, in that there were a couple of fans that took it on.

1878 had to stump up £1.5m of their own personal money and their company had to underwrite the £1.5m loan so that's £3m they committed to pay between them. I know football fortune has settled a large portion of those loan repayments but they still had to guarantee the repayments.

Now that's a lot of money for a club heading into the fifth tier of English football and the only fixed asset of any major value being a 123 year old stadium in dire need of repair or replacement.

Whilst it's a lot of money, it's a drop in the ocean compared to what it would cost to get Scunthorpe into a similar position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 45
ginnywings
February 21, 2022, 9:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548

If you think it's bad now, wait until you are in non league (you are definitely heading there) and some team that was never previously on your radar puts 5 goals past you.

I remember what one fan posted on here when we got relegated in 2010. He was a fan of a long established non league team and he said "welcome to the league, pull up a chair by the fire, get comfortable, you will be here for a while". Stuck in my mind ever since.

He was right of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 45
promotion plaice
February 21, 2022, 10:50pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,087
Gold Stars: 200

Going on last seasons final League 2 table Scunny now need more than 1.5 points per game to stay up, that's a tough call when they've only picked up 3 points of a last possible 30.

Assuming Scunny get relegated I think they have a big shock coming in the National League, the mighty Chesterfield nearly got relegated again first season in it.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 45
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 21, 2022, 11:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Great bit of undercover reporting and a good thread to read. Was curious about how stockdale was getting on at rochdale and went to read their forum, on the latest matchthread they were talking about the pitch invaders and someone said

"The pitch invading at all levels has grown too much momentum. Cocaine, Stella, Stone Island and a U in your GCSE’s is a vicious cocktail. Unless something changes we will be seeing metal cages/screens installed in pre-season. It ruined the moment for our players."

Which I thought was interesting in relation to all the press we got before
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunthorpe Utd v Rochdale ... I was there.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.