Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunthorpe Utd v Rochdale ... I was there.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 98 Guests

Scunthorpe Utd v Rochdale ... I was there.

This thread currently has 7,172 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
mariners1
February 21, 2022, 1:06pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from rancido
I can see the Scunts going the same way as Bradford Park Avenue - remember them?

I do, indeed, remember them.
I’m sure I saw us play them WAY back. 1-0 up at half time, I’d got a new rattle and wrote all the town player’ names on it with a borrowed biro…….we lost 5-1 and I binned the rattle. Pretty sure that Trevor Hockey was in their team. Great big beard n long hair…blimey now HE was a hard sodomist….and this was in the 60’s when hard men were in every team but he stood out!

I realise that referring to things like ‘biro’ and ‘rattle’ will leave most fishy members completely baffled but there’s a few vintage members out there who’ll know what I’m talking about.

I’ll get my coat…..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 45
tanga_the_indestructible
February 21, 2022, 1:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from mariners1

I do, indeed, remember them.
I’m sure I saw us play them WAY back. 1-0 up at half time, I’d got a new rattle and wrote all the town player’ names on it with a borrowed biro…….we lost 5-1 and I binned the rattle. Pretty sure that Trevor Hockey was in their team. Great big beard n long hair…blimey now HE was a hard sodomist….and this was in the 60’s when hard men were in every team but he stood out!

I realise that referring to things like ‘biro’ and ‘rattle’ will leave most fishy members completely baffled but there’s a few vintage members out there who’ll know what I’m talking about.

I’ll get my coat…..

Trevor played for City not PA, but I do remember us playing them either late 60s or early 70s. White shirts, with a couple of hoops around the chest, black shorts (I just checked and last time we played them was 69).
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
Les Brechin
February 21, 2022, 1:58pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174

Trevor played for City not PA, but I do remember us playing them either late 60s or early 70s. White shirts, with a couple of hoops around the chest, black shorts (I just checked and last time we played them was 69).

Yeah, TH played for Bradford City (2 seperate spells) I don't think he ever played for PA. It was a massive shock in the late 80's (I think) when he died from a heart attack as he was only in his early 40's

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
February 21, 2022, 2:45pm
Guest User
I expect their stadium will be a Currys/PC World with a Premier Inn/Generic Pub within 5 years.

Knew it was going wrong for them when they/Swann Jr signed a load of players just before Neil Cox was appointed. In the words of Peter Cook, "That's no way to run a f**king ballroom".
Reply: 23 - 45
AdamHaddock
February 21, 2022, 3:04pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,834
Gold Stars: 26
There's always that shitty little athletics ground on the other side of the railway track

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
Madeleymariner
February 21, 2022, 3:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from AdamHaddock
There's always that shitty little athletics ground on the other side of the railway track

Dont you denegrate the wonderful Quibell Park, spent many great nights as a teen watching speedway, and summers doing inter school sports
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 45
MrThirsty
February 21, 2022, 3:47pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from rancido
I can see the Scunts going the same way as Bradford Park Avenue - remember them?

That would be the team that is currently just one division below us. I remember them knocking us out of the FA cup and being absolutely gutted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
Lee Hodges Burger
February 21, 2022, 4:44pm
Shandy Drinker
Approval: +524
Gold Stars: 39
Scunny fan. Before I begin, I must say that I am not one who gloated at past Grimsby misery (you can check my posting history if you don't believe me).

But, yeah, the club is in an absolute state and too many, including myself, have been too oblivious to the nature of Swann. It should have been a warning sign when he started egotistical legal actions against anyone remotely critical, started hounding the local press or when he appointed his own flipping son as chief scout (and claimed it was the manager's choice, in some Trumpian word play). However, we were too giddy about his false promises and competing at the right end of league one to notice.

He will no doubt blame everything on covid, but we're not unique or say that he gave it a go this January with some signings. However, it's too little too late. The damage has been done with the shambolic transfer policies of the past. Who in their right mind would want to come here now?

And it's not just the squad. As poor as the transfers have been and abysmal handling of contracts (which was a problem when we were in league one) there is the off field disasters. The scoreboard doesn't work, the drains are blocked, the toilets clogged, seats covered in bird poo, food is awful (literally a hot dog in a bun with no onion, mustard, ketchup or anything else) and is often out of stock. Then there's the shoddy bar service, where staff would rather have a chat among themselves than serve you.

Some of these may seem trivial, but they all add up to a perception that the club is run amateurishly. Stuff like poor food can be forgiven if everything else is fine, but it isn't. Clogged toilets and blocked drains are indicative of institutional rot. Then there's the fact  Swann has asset stripped us and has us bang to rights with owning the ground via his company. But, he says he will give it back at the end of the season. Though, he previously said it protected us for 99 years. God knows what he intends, but everything is contradictory and untrustworthy. The guy is an irascible and arrogant egoist whenever he is interviewed. This shameless chancer has destroyed everything about this club. It no longer feels like a club with spirit or community feel. It feels like a zombie club somehow clinging on.

I think everyone's jaded. He even destroyed what protest spirit we had. Back in October there was growing discontent with protests being mooted, then he promised to change and everyone just hoped. Now it feels dead and powerless. I hope something changes soon, hopefully our more boisterous fans let their feelings known soon, because it looks like more false promises and disaster under Swann. Especially, if (as many fear) he wants to scrap our stadium for his apartment plans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 45
Lee Hodges Burger
February 21, 2022, 4:50pm
Shandy Drinker
Approval: +524
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from RonMariner
Sounds a thoroughly depressing environment. I remember some Scunts fans coming on here to rub it in when they were riding high and gloating when we went down first time.

I think the lesson here is to take care when start gloating, you never know when it could happen to you.

I feel sorry for some of their decent fans, but to the gloaters I have to say that it’s a kind of karma.

What goes around comes around.

Surely it depends on the nature of it? I remember joking with a Grimsby acquaintance about whether Town are playing the Dog and Duck this weekend back when Grimsby first went into non-league.

However, ultimately, I didn't mean any malice with that and would rather us be in the same division, ideally in league one or somewhere, not the conference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
Hagrid
February 21, 2022, 5:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Lee Hodges Burger
Scunny fan. Before I begin, I must say that I am not one who gloated at past Grimsby misery (you can check my posting history if you don't believe me).

But, yeah, the club is in an absolute state and too many, including myself, have been too oblivious to the nature of Swann. It should have been a warning sign when he started egotistical legal actions against anyone remotely critical, started hounding the local press or when he appointed his own flipping son as chief scout (and claimed it was the manager's choice, in some Trumpian word play). However, we were too giddy about his false promises and competing at the right end of league one to notice.

He will no doubt blame everything on covid, but we're not unique or say that he gave it a go this January with some signings. However, it's too little too late. The damage has been done with the shambolic transfer policies of the past. Who in their right mind would want to come here now?

And it's not just the squad. As poor as the transfers have been and abysmal handling of contracts (which was a problem when we were in league one) there is the off field disasters. The scoreboard doesn't work, the drains are blocked, the toilets clogged, seats covered in bird poo, food is awful (literally a hot dog in a bun with no onion, mustard, ketchup or anything else) and is often out of stock. Then there's the shoddy bar service, where staff would rather have a chat among themselves than serve you.

Some of these may seem trivial, but they all add up to a perception that the club is run amateurishly. Stuff like poor food can be forgiven if everything else is fine, but it isn't. Clogged toilets and blocked drains are indicative of institutional rot. Then there's the fact  Swann has asset stripped us and has us bang to rights with owning the ground via his company. But, he says he will give it back at the end of the season. Though, he previously said it protected us for 99 years. God knows what he intends, but everything is contradictory and untrustworthy. The guy is an irascible and arrogant egoist whenever he is interviewed. This shameless chancer has destroyed everything about this club. It no longer feels like a club with spirit or community feel. It feels like a zombie club somehow clinging on.

I think everyone's jaded. He even destroyed what protest spirit we had. Back in October there was growing discontent with protests being mooted, then he promised to change and everyone just hoped. Now it feels dead and powerless. I hope something changes soon, hopefully our more boisterous fans let their feelings known soon, because it looks like more false promises and disaster under Swann. Especially, if (as many fear) he wants to scrap our stadium for his apartment plans.

i remember Swann saying " dont you dare compare me to him"- Him Being John Fenty

they are exactly the same
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunthorpe Utd v Rochdale ... I was there.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.