3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
November 30, 2021, 10:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Not JS this time, but it’s kind of related. At least in the comments about fans and culture in the English game.

Interesting stuff from the ex head coach of Granada, Diego Martínez. There’s one but where I thought he was even going to say “jumpers for goalposts”.

https://amp.theguardian.com/fo.....had-to-experience-it

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 1, 2021, 1:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,749
Gold Stars: 177
Until you’ve lived English football, you will never know what it is. At Rèal they take hankies and wave them around. At Derby (or any English club) it’s police in full riot gear in the football equivalent of squid games outside the boardroom car park

Now, am not saying that the Spanish, German or Italian supporters aren’t passionate but, unless it’s a ‘Classico’ then you may as well be watching a game of table tennis. Passion is in our blood and sport transfuses that emotion into the stage that it represents. Look at the darts, horse racing, rugby and cricket. The support at these events is a sight to behold.

It’s not like America with their cheerleaders and marching bands to ‘whoop’ the crowd into a frenzy. Over here the playlist starts with a few cd’s and then the crowd take over. The ‘club anthems’ reverberate amongst stadia that’s seen better days. Some may question it being a shithole, it just may be. But it’s OUR shithole and nothing can change that.

The only flaw I would say is the amount of oil barons, oligarchs and hedge fund owners that are involved with clubs (my god are we fortunate to have JS and AP!). The Germans are leading the way with fan owned clubs, and this has to be applauded and given the respect it deserves.

I digress. The passion the English have for sport is second to none, in my opinion. And having managers and coaches that understand that supporters are the reason the clubs exist, will only help.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
aldi_01
December 1, 2021, 6:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,686
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Until you’ve lived English football, you will never know what it is. At Rèal they take hankies and wave them around. At Derby (or any English club) it’s police in full riot gear in the football equivalent of squid games outside the boardroom car park

Now, am not saying that the Spanish, German or Italian supporters aren’t passionate but, unless it’s a ‘Classico’ then you may as well be watching a game of table tennis. Passion is in our blood and sport transfuses that emotion into the stage that it represents. Look at the darts, horse racing, rugby and cricket. The support at these events is a sight to behold.

It’s not like America with their cheerleaders and marching bands to ‘whoop’ the crowd into a frenzy. Over here the playlist starts with a few cd’s and then the crowd take over. The ‘club anthems’ reverberate amongst stadia that’s seen better days. Some may question it being a shithole, it just may be. But it’s OUR shithole and nothing can change that.

The only flaw I would say is the amount of oil barons, oligarchs and hedge fund owners that are involved with clubs (my god are we fortunate to have JS and AP!). The Germans are leading the way with fan owned clubs, and this has to be applauded and given the respect it deserves.

I digress. The passion the English have for sport is second to none, in my opinion. And having managers and coaches that understand that supporters are the reason the clubs exist, will only help.

Having seen ‘nothing games’ in all those countries and strongly disagree about lack of atmosphere.

English folk have passion for football, but so does anyone that loves their club.

This rose tinted view of the English game is quite funny. I’ve been to plenty of English games where the atmosphere has matched that of the moons. I’ve been to various Italian games, at all levels and had the opposite. We’re passionate here, sure, but if someone tried to generate an atmosphere in the way foreign fans do people would be falling over themselves to moan and chastise them for trying, especially if flares, smoke bombs and giant flags were used.

The ultras movement never made it to the UK and it’s actually a shame. It isn’t necessarily about thuggery but also a bringing together of folk, the charity work many do is second to non and whilst footballing authorities still make decisions, ultras groups have unified fan bases across divisions to stand up to the leagues, clubs and TV companies.

Take our own club, aside from the morons, we’ve known for years the state and direction the club was heading, fans did little about it and many were even met with the old nonsense ‘but at least we’re not bury’…few fans of foreign teams would’ve allowed that to happen. Fact.

I think it’s naive to think sport is seen more passionately over here than other countries. Having seen ice hockey in the nhl, college ball in America, football and cricket abroad I’d say everyone is as passionate as everyone else - they just do it differently.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 1, 2021, 8:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 541
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Have you ever been to a football match outside of the UK?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 1, 2021, 11:02am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,891
Gold Stars: 280
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

This really is full of stereotyped nonsense.

I lived in the US and the atmosphere at most football games (NFL or big college games) is electric.

Try telling Atletico Madrid fans or Sevilla fans that you only get an atmosphere at Classico games - Spain pay a lot of their internationals in Seville because it's hot and the fans are rabid.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
chaos33
December 1, 2021, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,750
Gold Stars: 348
I’m sure he has been to games in other countries but I too disagree with the content of the post. There is a wide range of passions and rivalries in football, certainly all across Europe. To say that English football trumps them all or is second to none, is, in my opinion, just not correct and there’s masses of evidence that says so.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
toontown
December 1, 2021, 12:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,142
Gold Stars: 69
Agree with a lot of what people are saying, but one thing England is special for is the level of support for non top tier football, particularly tier 3 and below, especially the travelling support. It may not be the envy of the world in that a lot of countries are happy to concentrate peoples attention on a few clubs, but it is certainly unique.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
Maringer
December 1, 2021, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,076
Gold Stars: 175
More professional clubs in Turkey than in England, however. Not sure how much travelling the fans will do there as I'd imagine it is a bit risky to do so for certain games, given that team coaches have been shot at in recent years!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
KingstonMariner
December 1, 2021, 1:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I see what you’re all saying about other countries being passionate about their sort and football in particular. And I’m the last person to make claims for English exceptionalism.  But Martínez himself says “ If you’re from there, maybe you don’t see it, but it’s special.”

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
aldi_01
December 1, 2021, 1:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,686
Gold Stars: 473
We can’t compare the away fan thing Becauee aside from England being tiny, so far, although they’ve tried, football is still accessible. No stupid fan cards or last minute KO alterations etc like you get on the continent…and size, as mentioned.

English football might be special but I can’t imagine the comments are from someone who’s been to see Maidenhead v Solihull for instance…yes, the folk in the ground care very much about their clubs but don’t tell me there’s some electric partisan atmosphere because it’s balderdash.

Conversely, for me, one of the biggest myths in English football is the whole ‘a field on a European night’ or ‘can they do it at Stoke on a cold Tuesday’…they’re simply that, myths..,

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › More Guardianista stuff

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.