3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
December 1, 2021, 1:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Don’t tell the Maidenhead Ultras that. They’ll be tutting all week.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
Gaffer58
December 1, 2021, 4:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,084
Gold Stars: 31
[quote=140636]

Try telling Atletico Madrid fans or Sevilla fans that you only get an atmosphere at Classico games - Spain pay a lot of their internationals in Seville because it's hot and the fans are rabid.

Spain cannot or will not play home internationals in Catalan ( Barcelona) as none of the locals would go, even if Barca players were playing, don’t know if it’s the same for the Basque region also.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
KingstonMariner
December 1, 2021, 4:36pm
Meths Drinker
Would have thought Espanyol fans would go to a Spain international in Barca. Admittedly the minority, but quite a sizeable one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
MarinerWY
December 1, 2021, 5:05pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 47
I have lived in Sevilla and regularly watched Real Betis and sometimes Sevilla.

Atmosphere was generally good, as with here there was usually one stand that was vocal at all games and other stands that got louder at certain matches or at particularly exciting games.

Two things I do think are better about English football than Spanish (and I can only speak about Spain, I have no point of reference for other countries):

1. The pace of football in Spain could be quite slow, in a mid-table game at least. Lots of build up, maintaining possession - a percentage game - but I did miss the direct nature of English football at times. More attacks, more excitement.
2. The feigned 'injuries' were ridiculous. Multiple times per game there were 3-4 minute stoppages, someone driving a golf buggy on to stretcher them off the pitch, they'd sit up and run on again soon as it got to the touchline. The crowd had stopped even reacting to this nonsense it was so frequent.

The footy experience was a more family friendly at most games, and much less punitive in general. Bars around the ground always open with a mix of fans, fanzones (whether official or just someone with good speakers creating one outside the ground...!)... obviously if it was Betis vs Sevilla this changed in terns of policing, altho it was mostly the ultras shepherded, and they didn't change kick offs cos of this (although kick offs changed cos of TV worse than here as they could be played at ridiculous times whereas we at least limit the slots)

One thing I think England does much more impressively than anywhere is the depth of our football pyramid and the support down to our level. In Spain (and unless I'm v mistaken, most if not all other footballing countries), by the time you get to the 3rd division crowds are in their hundreds not thousands. And in Spain, there's the dreaded b-Teams in at that level to boot.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 1, 2021, 5:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,788
Gold Stars: 177
The ultras are second to none. It doesn’t matter if that’s the palace boys in the holmsdale, rangers’ bears, juve’s ultra’s or Wisconsin’s wombats! They create something special.

I was merely saying that the atmosphere at British games is better. I’ve been to see Bristol city play Bradford at Ashton gate and I e also seen Malaga, Tenerife and Derry city play, and I can tell you now which was better. I wasn’t trying to be judgmental over others, it’s just what I’ve seen first hand.

There’s no denying that the mainstream leagues in European football have good atmosphere. But, go down the leagues, and you only have to look at how well some clubs travel to away games as opposed to our neighbours across the North Sea/English Channel. Football and passion goes a lot further in England than any other country imo.  

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 1, 2021, 6:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
I agree with the many posts above saying that lower league football in England and the morbid, stubbornly loyal support is something to be very proud of.

Lower league football struggles in parts of Europe for a variety of reasons.

In Italy it’s biscotti, match fixings and the domination of the big city teams. Outside of Rome, Naples or the islands, it’s rare to find an Italian football fan who doesn’t support Milan, Inter or Juve. Even in Florence, where Juventus are supposedly despised, there are still many Juve fans.

Then there is the B-team issue in Germany, Spain and Portugal.

I mean, what kind of idiotic, turtle-neck sporting, tampon confiscator would support B-teams entering the English football league system.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
KingstonMariner
December 1, 2021, 6:52pm
Meths Drinker
What about the biscotti?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 1, 2021, 6:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Quoted from KingstonMariner
What about the biscotti?

Two teams engineering a result that suits both parties to the detriment of others.

Don’t mistake it with soggy biscuit. With your sodium intolerance you’d dissolve like a slug.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 1, 2021, 6:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,788
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from KingstonMariner
What about the biscotti?

I think it’s when garibaldi played up front for piacenza

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
KingstonMariner
December 1, 2021, 7:57pm
Meths Drinker

Two teams engineering a result that suits both parties to the detriment of others.

Don’t mistake it with soggy biscuit. With your sodium intolerance you’d dissolve like a slug.

You mean like the Lancashire Ring (and I’m not talking about Sarah’s winking eye)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › More Guardianista stuff

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.