Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On way back/Just Back on the bus (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 104 Guests

On way back/Just Back on the bus (merged)

This thread currently has 5,903 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
November 23, 2021, 10:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
At least we don’t have to worry about Hurst being headhunted now

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
Mariner93er
November 23, 2021, 10:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Just home, and echo Barralad thoughts. Baffling how we can go from being top and flying to that shite. Solihull didn’t have to do that much but their passing and movement was far ahead of ours. Too many statues and no one showing for the ball.

Agree efete was the only one who had a good game, at times single handedly driving us forward and in the end just ignoring Sousa which was for the best. The less said about sousa the better, but it takes some going to be the standout worst player after such a poor team performance.

Let’s pray boreham wood are feeling merciful - that’s a depressing flipping thing to have to say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 64
denni266
November 23, 2021, 10:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +697
Gold Stars: 132
Happy clappers are out in force tonight i see
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
dapperz fun pub
November 23, 2021, 10:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Safe journey home to all those travelled and respect
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
livvo
November 23, 2021, 10:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from denni266
Well i aint going on saturday  dont care what happens  i have had enough for now

Ahhh c'mon 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
Davec
November 23, 2021, 10:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 42
Paul Hurst said he feels we did enough to win tonight
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
Hagrid
November 23, 2021, 10:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Davec
Paul Hurst said he feels we did enough to win tonight

Just listened

Talking absolute nonsense. You dont deserve to win a game when your “ carrying” players. His words. And do not test the GK until 70 minutes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 64
Perkins
November 23, 2021, 10:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from barralad

Well spotted..in my defence the performance had me thinking of the second half Bromley debacle.
Now corrected.

No defence required Barra, a rare unintended error, sorry for being flippant.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
Poojah
November 23, 2021, 10:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,742
Gold Stars: 1,509
Putting the performance, and result, to one side for a moment, we somewhat got away with that tonight. Alty's 96th minute equaliser at Chesterfield having been 2-down on 83 minutes, Bromley losing unexpectedly at home to Yeovil, Boreham Wood drawing with Notts County and Halifax losing in the 90th minute all means that we've lost relatively little ground on the top positions and aren't the only ones to have had a morale sapping evening.

There is a 'but' though. Those on the periphery of the play-off positions, notably Stockport, Wrexham and of course Solihull all won. We remain just 4 points off the top, yet only 5 points from 9th (and if you want to get really stark, only 8 points above Eastleigh in 14th). Then there's the small matter of the fixture list. Here's the next 8:

Boreham Wood (2) - H
Dagenham (10) - A
Chesterfield (1) - H
Halifax (5) - A
King's Lynn (22) - H
Halifax (5) - H
Bromley (4) - A
Wrexham (8') - A

Our record against the current top 10 reads: P: 5 W: 1 D: 1 L:3.

4 points from 15, all of which came early in the season against Stockport and Wrexham sides which hadn't yet got into gear. Wrexham, I'm certain, will be a very different beast when we play them in January.

So, 7 games out of 8 against the current top 10; a run which includes both of the top 2 as well 5th placed Halifax twice. Make no mistake, this is an absolutely crucial portion of the season. Do ok and we keep ourselves in with a sniff of the title. Don't do so well and it's genuinely not inconceivable that we find ourselves in the bottom half.

There's a saying that you learn more about a team when you lose than you do when you're winning. I can see some truth in that; I think these last 6 games have given us a much more balanced view of this squad. So what have we learned? For me:
  • We're simply not good enough without McAtee in the side
  • Sousa and Bapaga are talented but raw, and therefore painfully inconsistent
  • Macca, as much as I love the bloke, simply isn't good enough anymore for a title chase at this level
  • We're predictable and powderpuff when lacking confidence

I'm sure there are other things, but those are the four that stand out. I feel for Macca, I really do. I've probably seen him play more games for Town than any other player (I was too young for the early years of the original Macca's career), so it's hard not to feel some kind of emotion towards a bloke who's been there through some top times and some absolutely fúcking awful ones.

But now isn't a time for sentiment. This club is 143 years old, and I hope it keeps going for another 143 at the very least. Right now, we are at a massive crossroads. This season is crucial, and this particular chunk of the season is absolutely huge. We've seen, as recently as January with the signing of the lad Eastwood from Sheffield United, that it's possible to find a more robust and reliable option. I don't know whether Crocombe represents that, his CV is inconclusive, but either way I can't help feel that now is the time for a terminal change in the goalkeeping department, as much as it pains me to write that.

Beyond that, I really feel we need to act now in terms of bringing in some experienced attacking reinforcements - perhaps most of all wide players. Bell sounded positive at times tonight, but the next few weeks are a lot to ask for someone so inexperienced. I've previously extolled the virtues of trading within a fixed wage structure, but honestly, if we need to break the ceiling ever so slightly to source the necessary quality, can we afford not to? I recognise we don't have Stockport or Wrexham-esque resources, and I'm not suggesting anything close to that. But now is the time for boldness; dither and this season could end very abruptly, and that will prove a big test of our recently buoyed attendances.

Let me just reiterate this. The players have so far this season given a fúcking magnificent account of themselves on the whole, and they along with the management team, recruitment team and board deserve huge credit for having us sat in 3rd position after 17 games. That's a lot better than I thought we'd be doing.

But the hard work we've done in getting here is too precious to squander, and I can't help but feel we need to reinforce with quality and experience to avoid doing just that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
Kris2
November 23, 2021, 10:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Really seems like we were not good enough tonight and this patch of poor games continues. Quite how this team went from winners playing with drive and style to an apathetic team lacking confidence is a mystery but Hurst needs to find a way to motivate his players before we start dropping down into mid table by Christmas.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On way back/Just Back on the bus (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.