Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On way back/Just Back on the bus (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 245 Guests

On way back/Just Back on the bus (merged)

This thread currently has 5,854 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
November 24, 2021, 9:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ska face
On the plus side, I thought Bell looked really tidy with a decent touch, awareness and enthusiasm. He’ll do well if we don’t revert to type and start punting it long for him to chase.

He did. Didn't shy away from getting stuck in and as you say very tidy on the ball, turned his markers a few times and set up one of our better chances for Fox in the first half. Might take a little bit of adjustment to men's football though, he was cramping up around the hour mark.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
Hagrid
November 24, 2021, 9:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from RonMariner
The wheels seem to have come off at the moment but the fact is that we are still only 4 points off top spot and a win on Saturday will move us up to second place. So all is not lost.

The players we raved over a few weeks ago don’t become bad players in a month. We know they have ability, we have all seen it.  So a turnaround in results is certainly possible.

This will be a test of Hursts ability to instil some confidence in the squad. But I believe that one morale boosting performance might kick start the team again at a time when we have some tough fixtures ahead.

I hope Saturday is the game which turns us around.

i cant honestly see us winning, its not just results, Performance have been terrible since the Yeovil game- notts Aside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
Maringer
November 24, 2021, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
We've certainly been quite badly disrupted during the early part of the season with injuries we've suffered, the long-term absences (Grant and Scannell) and a couple of Covid outbreaks, not to mention the Sears situation. The chopping and changing in recent weeks is a reflection of this, but you'd certainly have hoped that we would have ground out a few more points in the games we have narrowly lost in recent weeks.

I can only assume that Hurst thought that Towler needed a break because, one poor performance (apparently) aside, he has looked really capable when I've seen him play.

I do have to say that I think if Hunt isn't dictating games at this level, then I'm not sure we have a place for him if we can't get a slick passing game going. He has bags of ability but I'm not sure he's shown enough over the past month or so.

I didn't go last night, incidentally, so it's just a general comment about the recent drop in form from what I've read.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
Bigdog
November 24, 2021, 10:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Maringer
We've certainly been quite badly disrupted during the early part of the season with injuries we've suffered, the long-term absences (Grant and Scannell) and a couple of Covid outbreaks, not to mention the Sears situation. The chopping and changing in recent weeks is a reflection of this, but you'd certainly have hoped that we would have ground out a few more points in the games we have narrowly lost in recent weeks.

I can only assume that Hurst thought that Towler needed a break because, one poor performance (apparently) aside, he has looked really capable when I've seen him play.

I do have to say that I think if Hunt isn't dictating games at this level, then I'm not sure we have a place for him if we can't get a slick passing game going.
He has bags of ability but I'm not sure he's shown enough over the past month or so.

I didn't go last night, incidentally, so it's just a general comment about the recent drop in form from what I've read.

I'd say Hunt was our second best player on the night. Tidy on the ball but no movement ahead of him didn't help..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
Croxton
November 24, 2021, 10:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Have to add that it was an awful, awful experience as an away fan regardless of the game. Arrived at 5.45 to be told the car park was full and redirected to an NCP car park over a mile away. Arrived to signs saying it closed at 9pm and confused Town fans trying to get some guarantee it wouldn't.

Quick pint in a soul destroying Holiday Inn and then the fun of trying to get two kids across an extremely busy dual carriageway with no pedestrian crossing. Zig-zagged down another busy road having to cross repeatedly, dodging the heavy traffic heading to Land Rover as there was no single footpath. Finally a pedestrian crossing to get to the ground except no path on the other side of it so a final cower from the oncoming traffic.

Finally back at the ground to find a car park with plenty of spaces free and spoke to people who'd arrived after 6 and been able to park. Into the ground and just insufficient facilities for the number of away fans. Queued for 30 minutes for food and 10 minutes for a urine. Then a excrement game before the return to the car. Basically see the above paragraph but in reverse and without the pint.

Those who claim the only thing that matters about the 'matchday experience' is the result should go to Solihull Moors and then see how they feel. A win would have massively improved the trip but I would have still had considerable misgivings about ever going there again.

My first visit too so I looked at the Moors own Away fans guide a few days ago. The NCP alternative looked complicated and distant so I looked at the local housing estate on Streetview. Found a few likely spots about half a mile away and selected one at 6.30. Strolled to the ground along well lit paths. I wondered why Solihull could not have just said 'some local street parking available if you arrive early enough'. Also on a bus route. It's as if they don't want away fans at all.

I stumbled on the Greville Arms on the same road about a mile away for a cheap pint and pub nosh. Plenty of space, Sky Sports and family menus. Pre match went well but no thanks to Solihull's fan info. Give it a try next time Rodders!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
Chrisblor
November 24, 2021, 10:30am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Have to add that it was an awful, awful experience as an away fan regardless of the game. Arrived at 5.45 to be told the car park was full and redirected to an NCP car park over a mile away. Arrived to signs saying it closed at 9pm and confused Town fans trying to get some guarantee it wouldn't.

Quick pint in a soul destroying Holiday Inn and then the fun of trying to get two kids across an extremely busy dual carriageway with no pedestrian crossing. Zig-zagged down another busy road having to cross repeatedly, dodging the heavy traffic heading to Land Rover as there was no single footpath. Finally a pedestrian crossing to get to the ground except no path on the other side of it so a final cower from the oncoming traffic.

Finally back at the ground to find a car park with plenty of spaces free and spoke to people who'd arrived after 6 and been able to park. Into the ground and just insufficient facilities for the number of away fans. Queued for 30 minutes for food and 10 minutes for a urine. Then a excrement game before the return to the car. Basically see the above paragraph but in reverse and without the pint.

Those who claim the only thing that matters about the 'matchday experience' is the result should go to Solihull Moors and then see how they feel. A win would have massively improved the trip but I would have still had considerable misgivings about ever going there again.

Yeah, was absolutely awful - think everything combined (excrement location, excrement parking, excrement food, excrement toilets, tiny bar, excrement speakers, excrement town performance, freezing weather) meant it's possibly one of the worst experiences I've ever had at an away match in 15+ years of going to them. Even Chasetown was more enjoyable (least they had some pubs nearby).

I'd seen that bit on their website about the Airport NCP car park (described by them as "a short 15-20 minute walk away from the ground") and checked out the route on google maps / street view yesterday morning. It looked exactly like you'd described - along a load of dual carriageways with limited or no pavements and pedestrian crossings. God knows why Solihull thought it was appropriate to send people there to park when there was loads of street parking in the housing estate wedged between Damson Parkway and Damson Lane just down the road from the ground.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
Theimperialcoroner
November 24, 2021, 10:32am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
Crooked got himself horribly out of position for their 1st, their second he should’ve been on his bottom on the halfway line. We didn’t compete for the first of second ball all night and that’s not good enough

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
Theimperialcoroner
November 24, 2021, 10:38am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Happy_Mariner
That was poor tonight. Too many players nowhere near the level we needed. I was surprised that their keeper got MOM as I didn’t think he had too much to do. We need a spark and hopefully a big home crowd can give us that on Saturday.

Did anyone else get back to the car to a parking ticket? Topped off a bad night.

The whole parking ticket thing was balderdash. No restrictions posted so what were they for? We’d parked further up so didn’t get one but it just stops people wanting to come to their tawdry little ground

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
Croxton
November 24, 2021, 11:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Solihull had a clear plan to zip the ball around on the deck and get players up to support the man on the ball. They were quicker, had a better first touch and pressed in groups. We gave sloppy passes to marked players, failed to find space and surrendered possession.

Add the lack of pace at the back and an absolute mare for Sousa it was surprising that Hurst made no changes at half time. Liked the look of Bell. Hope to see him start again on Saturday with Crocombe in goal.

We have a mix of older experienced players and a bunch of young ones with very little depth of fit, strong dependables who are used to 40 plus games a season. Play offs at best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
thornemariner
November 24, 2021, 11:32am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Croxton

My first visit too so I looked at the Moors own Away fans guide a few days ago. The NCP alternative looked complicated and distant so I looked at the local housing estate on Streetview. Found a few likely spots about half a mile away and selected one at 6.30. Strolled to the ground along well lit paths. I wondered why Solihull could not have just said 'some local street parking available if you arrive early enough'. Also on a bus route. It's as if they don't want away fans at all.

I stumbled on the Greville Arms on the same road about a mile away for a cheap pint and pub nosh. Plenty of space, Sky Sports and family menus. Pre match went well but no thanks to Solihull's fan info. Give it a try next time Rodders!

You were with my colleague of thirty years ago and long standing friend. He tipped me off about a road to park on which was just ten minutes walk away from Solihull Moors.  

We met up at the ground and were allowed in together by the friendly stewards so we could catch up over a drink before I went back out and around to the away end. That was very good of them. A good evening for that reason despite the result.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On way back/Just Back on the bus (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.