4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
quebec38
November 7, 2021, 9:33am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
I get what we were trying to do yesterday but I just don’t think we had the midfield to do it. Without McAtee we don’t have a player in the middle that will join up with the attack and when Hunt is unavailable there isn’t anyone that can put their foot on the ball and dictate the game.

I like Fox, Clifton and Coke but to varying degrees they are all scrappers who’ll win the ball. It’s one thing identifying the problem but another identifying the right player who is available that can come and help. Hopefully we can find someone soon because we need competition in there.

Instead of 3 similar in the middle maybe we should just go for broke and play 442. Coke and Fox together, Harry on the left and Sousa on the right. Taylor and another up front. Just chucking all kinds of crazy ideas out there but maybe a completely left-field choice like Max alongside or in the hole.

I just think if you’re going to play with a midfield that will struggle to create but at the same time solid, you’re probably gonna get done 1-0 which is exactly what happened. Let’s throw caution to the wind and at least do something that will get us on the scoresheet to begin with.

Total ramblings from me but it’s not all doom and gloom by a long way. McAtee is probably due back for BW and Scannell is supposedly getting fitter. Maybe he could provide that competition in behind Taylor.

R2 would have been nice but it was a freebie yesterday. Lessons learnt, forget about the result now and look forward to Solihull.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
headingly_mariner
November 7, 2021, 1:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Should’ve beaten them yesterday, had lots of opportunities to hurt them but made poor choices or poor passes. We should definitely have had a pen as well. All in all we didn’t really do enough.

I don’t want to be gripped in another major thread about whether things are acceptable or not, but anyone any idea why a proportion of fans were singing anti catholic sectarian songs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
FishOutOfWater
November 7, 2021, 1:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Should’ve beaten them yesterday, had lots of opportunities to hurt them but made poor choices or poor passes. We should definitely have had a pen as well. All in all we didn’t really do enough.

I don’t want to be gripped in another major thread about whether things are acceptable or not, but anyone any idea why a proportion of fans were singing anti catholic sectarian songs?

I don't think we did enough to beat Kiddy - a draw would maybe have been a fair result but we were playing with fire in trying to restrict them rather than having a more expansive, attacking line up

I certainly don't begrudge Kiddy the win but after they got in front the way the game played out and the way the ref pandered to them made it really difficult for us to create anything to get us back in to the game

Our shout for a penalty looked legitimate but the ref wasn't interested for some reason..... I'd like to see that again not that it mattters now

So it's back to focusing on the league.... onwards and upwards.

We also ought to forget about the trophy and play our youth ( or do they insist on a certain number of regular first teamers? )

As for the singing can't say I noticed anything untoward? I was to the right side of the stand so maybe those chants didn't carry...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 31
HerveJosse
November 7, 2021, 1:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 144
Yesterday was not the day to start changing to three at the back, the players looked disjointed and the wing backs were totally ineffective. Change the personal by all means but play a formation that they know.

Not just yesterday that the formation has changed we have gone into each of the three games lost with a new formation. It is a lot to ask of players at this level several of whom are young are developing . We had a formation and style that worked and while one or two key players have been absent for each game it surely must be easier for the remainder to cope if they are not asked to play in a new way each game . One or two square bags in a round hole to plug an injury gap is better then ten IMO.Players are under pressure from results as well now to add to the issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
Theimperialcoroner
November 7, 2021, 2:44pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,206
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I couldn’t make out what they were singing, but I suspect they were doing so because they have tiny penisss

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
arryarryarry
November 7, 2021, 3:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from quebec38
I get what we were trying to do yesterday but I just don’t think we had the midfield to do it. Without McAtee we don’t have a player in the middle that will join up with the attack and when Hunt is unavailable there isn’t anyone that can put their foot on the ball and dictate the game.

I like Fox, Clifton and Coke but to varying degrees they are all scrappers who’ll win the ball. It’s one thing identifying the problem but another identifying the right player who is available that can come and help. Hopefully we can find someone soon because we need competition in there.

Instead of 3 similar in the middle maybe we should just go for broke and play 442. Coke and Fox together, Harry on the left and Sousa on the right. Taylor and another up front. Just chucking all kinds of crazy ideas out there but maybe a completely left-field choice like Max alongside or in the hole.

I just think if you’re going to play with a midfield that will struggle to create but at the same time solid, you’re probably gonna get done 1-0 which is exactly what happened. Let’s throw caution to the wind and at least do something that will get us on the scoresheet to begin with.

Total ramblings from me but it’s not all doom and gloom by a long way. McAtee is probably due back for BW and Scannell is supposedly getting fitter. Maybe he could provide that competition in behind Taylor.

R2 would have been nice but it was a freebie yesterday. Lessons learnt, forget about the result now and look forward to Solihull.

Coke and Fox failed against Notts County and failed yesterday.

As regards the "freebie"  it was a total loss, loss of a winnings prize and the loss of a possible big pay day if we had managed to get to round 3.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
quebec38
November 7, 2021, 4:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Failed against Notts Co?? Fox was asked to play the McAtee role and did OK considering it isn’t his position. Hunt and Coke were side by side behind him. All 3 did fine in a cobbled-together lineup that didn’t deserve to lose. Pointless argument anyway because I meant Hunt alongside Fox in the middle of a 4.

You’re right it was a competitive game and there are no freebies. But if we don’t go up this season it will have nothing to do with the fact we went of the FA Cup in round 1 away at Kidderminster.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
arryarryarry
November 7, 2021, 5:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from quebec38
Failed against Notts Co?? Fox was asked to play the McAtee role and did OK considering it isn’t his position. Hunt and Coke were side by side behind him. All 3 did fine in a cobbled-together lineup that didn’t deserve to lose. Pointless argument anyway because I meant Hunt alongside Fox in the middle of a 4.

You’re right it was a competitive game and there are no freebies. But if we don’t go up this season it will have nothing to do with the fact we went of the FA Cup in round 1 away at Kidderminster.

Who said anything about losing yesterday and going up? I don't know the point you are trying to make there.

It must be every team's ambition at our level to look for that big pay day. Lincoln made a decent wedge a few seasons ago, we must have made a bit out of Palace and Chelsea.

I was hoping that if we made a bit of cash it would have gone someway to getting rid of the Fenty legacy.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
KingstonMariner
November 7, 2021, 7:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I couldn’t make out what they were singing, but I suspect they were doing so because they have tiny penisss

Ooh! The Grimsby branch of the UVF don't like that! Red crosses rather than red hands though  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
wigworld
November 8, 2021, 12:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I have a tiny tackle, but I don't sing sectarian songs.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.