4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
November 6, 2021, 8:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
must be the first time a just back thread is done 3.5 hours after the final whistle!

Pluses were the King and Castle plus the Station Inn, which was even better - good cheap beer and friendly locals.

Downside was the 90 minutes- not good enough sums it up. For a Hurst team to be out battled is not good enough. To create beggar all chances is not good enough. To be second to almost every second ball is not good enough

Playing 3-5-2 was a worthwhile experiment , it would appear to be a natural system if you're playing efete and revan , but we simply didn't look comfortable. Didn't look like they'd practised it at all and to persist with it , with so much money at stake, seemed a bit perverse.
Kiddy probably deserved the win, and certainly a draw, just coz they worked more and battled harder. Very little quality, but we looked half hearted whereas they wanted it more which is a sad indictment, especially as a number of those players were trying to claim a 1st team place. Coke and Fox showed once again why their partnership doesn't work. Add Clifton in there and its 3 good players who just seem to inhibit each other.
Bapaga didn't seem to have a clue as to what he was supposed to be doing and Taylor hardly touched the ball in the first half.
Waterfall had his hands full with the centre forward and Longe King was anonymous.
Towler was my motm - looked imperious; almost too easy for him. he is a class act. No way i can see Revan or bapaga playing at a high level for very long, but Towler is 'different gravy'
The Shop came on and improved things massively - unfortunately it was at exactly that time that they got their soft penalty from a 'mini wealdstone' ref.

Quite where we go from here i don't know, but i suspect we need Efete, Sousa, Taylor & Hunt back on form very quickly. At the moment we look  a bit toothless and lacking in creativity
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
November 6, 2021, 8:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Echo that, especially the Station Inn....

The penalty I thought looked softish at the time but have seen the highlights on the BBC and looked clumsy from Waterfall.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
forza ivano
November 6, 2021, 8:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
just 1 other thought. Coke , is weirdly, a sign of what a different team we are this year. Thought last year he looked a class baove what we'd got and really improved us.Generally looked a class act. This year, i'm afraid to say, he looks like a weight round our neck, an impediment to our play. Sits too deep, slows things too much. and doesn't really offer   deal.Plus he seems to impede Fox in particular.
sorry to have to say that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
Northbank Mariner
November 6, 2021, 9:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Well, that was sh!t...only way I can describe it tbh.
For as good as Coke was last season he was poor today, always passed the ball backwards, bapaga was too far away from Taylor, long-king couldn't pass a stool.
One player that did impress me though was Crocombe, excellent stop in the first half and his speed of delivery was very good.
Kidderminster just looked brighter, pressed harder and looked up for it. We were slow, passed with no conviction and don't think we played the ball to Efete anywhere near enough
We really do miss Macatee, don't want to say one man makes a team but without him we're pretty much toothless.
Taylor had no service at all.
All in all a good opportunity lost to proceed in the cup and get some funds in the coffers to get Fenty paid off early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
Northbank Mariner
November 6, 2021, 9:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from forza ivano
just 1 other thought. Coke , is weirdly, a sign of what a different team we are this year. Thought last year he looked a class baove what we'd got and really improved us.Generally looked a class act. This year, i'm afraid to say, he looks like a weight round our neck, an impediment to our play. Sits too deep, slows things too much. and doesn't really offer   deal.Plus he seems to impede Fox in particular.
sorry to have to say that

He looked good in a poor team, he just seems to slow any progression up the pitch now. Thought he'd control the midfield in this league but I'm not sure having him there is doing us any favours..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
MuddyWaters
November 6, 2021, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Our midfield hasn’t got enough depth. If it isn’t Hunt, Fox and Clifton, we struggle.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
lee65
November 6, 2021, 9:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Our midfield hasn’t got enough depth. If it isn’t Hunt, Fox and Clifton, we struggle.

No Hunt = no creativity or dead ball accuracy, he helps others to be the best versions of themselves
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
November 6, 2021, 9:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Thing is with the scale of the rebuild after last seasons disaster, a lack of depth was inevitable to a degree

Were all obviously feeling down at the minute but if we look at where we are we'd have been happy at the current outcome if we'd been told that at the start of the season. I'd actually argue, now that were currently in the title fight, a creative player could be equally important to our chances as a striker. Were our strikers missing chances left right and centre today? Not really

bapaga is really young and sousa lacks experience despite his age, been impressed with both of them at times but I dont think it would be fair on either of them to completely rely on them to be consistant enough to maintain a title challenge. I'd just write scannell and max wright off now and get someone else in, if either of those two can stay fit and get into the team then bonus
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
MuddyWaters
November 6, 2021, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Thing is with the scale of the rebuild after last seasons disaster, a lack of depth was inevitable to a degree

Were all obviously feeling down at the minute but if we look at where we are we'd have been happy at the current outcome if we'd been told that at the start of the season. I'd actually argue, now that were currently in the title fight, a creative player could be equally important to our chances as a striker. Were our strikers missing chances left right and centre today? Not really

bapaga is really young and sousa lacks experience despite his age, been impressed with both of them at times but I dont think it would be fair on either of them to completely rely on them to be consistant enough to maintain a title challenge. I'd just write scannell and max wright off now and get someone else in, if either of those two can stay fit and get into the team then bonus

I’m afraid Max’s body isn’t up to full time professional football. As for Scannell, if, and it’s a big if, we can get him fit, I think he’ll rip this league up. That said, we can’t wait forever.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
MaccasBoots
November 6, 2021, 10:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Approval: +631
Gold Stars: 23

Completely agree with this re getting a creative player in. As much as everyone wants a goalscoring number 9 (including me!) perhaps what we are more in need of is a number 10 who can create goalscoring opportunities while also getting involved in the penalty area
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
ginnywings
November 6, 2021, 10:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from MaccasBoots

Completely agree with this re getting a creative player in. As much as everyone wants a goalscoring number 9 (including me!) perhaps what we are more in need of is a number 10 who can create goalscoring opportunities while also getting involved in the penalty area

We have one but he's currently injured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
Davec
November 6, 2021, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
That was very drab, Kiddy certainly wanted it more than us and we look nothing without Mcatee, we don't even look like scoring a goal atm which is concerning and does highlight that we can't just rely on Mcatee, Taylor was very isolated at times, no players near him at times which needs to be addressed, The formation never worked at all and it shows we do need reinforcements, Revan to me looks nowhere near ready for mens football, I know he looked excellent against Bromsgrove but every other time he's looked lost, Grant i thought did ok when he came on and I am hoping he can turn out to be effective when fit.

Improvements needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
MuddyWaters
November 6, 2021, 10:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec
That was very drab, Kiddy certainly wanted it more than us and we look nothing without Mcatee, we don't even look like scoring a goal atm which is concerning and does highlight that we can't just rely on Mcatee, Taylor was very isolated at times, no players near him at times which needs to be addressed, The formation never worked at all and it shows we do need reinforcements, Revan to me looks nowhere near ready for mens football, I know he looked excellent against Bromsgrove but every other time he's looked lost, Grant i thought did ok when he came on and I am hoping he can turn out to be effective when fit.

Improvements needed.

Got to agree about Revan. Poor when he came on for Sears last week and an inadequate replacement for Crookes today.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
Maringer
November 6, 2021, 11:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Thing to remember about Revan is that today was his 5th appearance in 1st team football. Not too surprising he's likely to be more miss than hit given that record.

The lack of goals over the past few games is a concern though I don't really count the loss against Notts County in the same bracket as Wealdstone or today as that was against a decent team and we certainly didn't deserve to lose. The issue is that, without McAtee, we seem are struggling to find a way to beat supposed 'lesser' teams away from home. Other than Sousa, I do think we are lacking real pace in the attacking positions which will certainly not help.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
pontoonlew
November 6, 2021, 11:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Got to agree about Revan. Poor when he came on for Sears last week and an inadequate replacement for Crookes today.

Been trying to say this about Revan for weeks, he looks a million miles away from being a professional footballer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
davmariner
November 6, 2021, 11:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Would have liked to have seen Pearson get a run-out in the cup. Must be a difficult one for him to take not even being given a chance in the cup, despite us looking a bit suspect defensively (and conceding sloppily) in the last few games.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
November 7, 2021, 6:50am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 78
Yesterday was not the day to start changing to three at the back, the players looked disjointed and the wing backs were totally ineffective. Change the personal by all means but play a formation that they know.

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
lukeo
November 7, 2021, 6:56am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
I didn't go today so can't comment too much. But what I will say is I'm staying positive and upbeat UNLESS we don't win away to Aldershot then I'll be concerned and start to think what's going wrong. All teams go through good and bad patches, let's hope this is our bad patch and for me Aldershot is a perfect opponent to try turn this form around. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
ginnywings
November 7, 2021, 8:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Yesterday was not the day to start changing to three at the back, the players looked disjointed and the wing backs were totally ineffective. Change the personal by all means but play a formation that they know.

I don't think it's about formations as such. Nobody mentions changes of personnel and formations when we are winning games. Injuries forced a lot of the changes I would imagine but we didn't compete as a team by the sound of it. They wanted it more and we are in a poor run of form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
Hagrid
November 7, 2021, 9:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Yesterday was first time for myself this season showing any disgruntlement towards players and manager alike

Listened to PH Postmatch and he was fairly damning of the players, i cant deny a little concern
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
quebec38
November 7, 2021, 9:33am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
I get what we were trying to do yesterday but I just don’t think we had the midfield to do it. Without McAtee we don’t have a player in the middle that will join up with the attack and when Hunt is unavailable there isn’t anyone that can put their foot on the ball and dictate the game.

I like Fox, Clifton and Coke but to varying degrees they are all scrappers who’ll win the ball. It’s one thing identifying the problem but another identifying the right player who is available that can come and help. Hopefully we can find someone soon because we need competition in there.

Instead of 3 similar in the middle maybe we should just go for broke and play 442. Coke and Fox together, Harry on the left and Sousa on the right. Taylor and another up front. Just chucking all kinds of crazy ideas out there but maybe a completely left-field choice like Max alongside or in the hole.

I just think if you’re going to play with a midfield that will struggle to create but at the same time solid, you’re probably gonna get done 1-0 which is exactly what happened. Let’s throw caution to the wind and at least do something that will get us on the scoresheet to begin with.

Total ramblings from me but it’s not all doom and gloom by a long way. McAtee is probably due back for BW and Scannell is supposedly getting fitter. Maybe he could provide that competition in behind Taylor.

R2 would have been nice but it was a freebie yesterday. Lessons learnt, forget about the result now and look forward to Solihull.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
headingly_mariner
November 7, 2021, 1:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Should’ve beaten them yesterday, had lots of opportunities to hurt them but made poor choices or poor passes. We should definitely have had a pen as well. All in all we didn’t really do enough.

I don’t want to be gripped in another major thread about whether things are acceptable or not, but anyone any idea why a proportion of fans were singing anti catholic sectarian songs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
FishOutOfWater
November 7, 2021, 1:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Should’ve beaten them yesterday, had lots of opportunities to hurt them but made poor choices or poor passes. We should definitely have had a pen as well. All in all we didn’t really do enough.

I don’t want to be gripped in another major thread about whether things are acceptable or not, but anyone any idea why a proportion of fans were singing anti catholic sectarian songs?

I don't think we did enough to beat Kiddy - a draw would maybe have been a fair result but we were playing with fire in trying to restrict them rather than having a more expansive, attacking line up

I certainly don't begrudge Kiddy the win but after they got in front the way the game played out and the way the ref pandered to them made it really difficult for us to create anything to get us back in to the game

Our shout for a penalty looked legitimate but the ref wasn't interested for some reason..... I'd like to see that again not that it mattters now

So it's back to focusing on the league.... onwards and upwards.

We also ought to forget about the trophy and play our youth ( or do they insist on a certain number of regular first teamers? )

As for the singing can't say I noticed anything untoward? I was to the right side of the stand so maybe those chants didn't carry...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 31
HerveJosse
November 7, 2021, 1:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,123
Gold Stars: 134

Not just yesterday that the formation has changed we have gone into each of the three games lost with a new formation. It is a lot to ask of players at this level several of whom are young are developing . We had a formation and style that worked and while one or two key players have been absent for each game it surely must be easier for the remainder to cope if they are not asked to play in a new way each game . One or two square bags in a round hole to plug an injury gap is better then ten IMO.Players are under pressure from results as well now to add to the issue.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
Theimperialcoroner
November 7, 2021, 2:44pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I couldn’t make out what they were singing, but I suspect they were doing so because they have tiny penisss

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
arryarryarry
November 7, 2021, 3:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,944
Quoted from quebec38
I get what we were trying to do yesterday but I just don’t think we had the midfield to do it. Without McAtee we don’t have a player in the middle that will join up with the attack and when Hunt is unavailable there isn’t anyone that can put their foot on the ball and dictate the game.

I like Fox, Clifton and Coke but to varying degrees they are all scrappers who’ll win the ball. It’s one thing identifying the problem but another identifying the right player who is available that can come and help. Hopefully we can find someone soon because we need competition in there.

Instead of 3 similar in the middle maybe we should just go for broke and play 442. Coke and Fox together, Harry on the left and Sousa on the right. Taylor and another up front. Just chucking all kinds of crazy ideas out there but maybe a completely left-field choice like Max alongside or in the hole.

I just think if you’re going to play with a midfield that will struggle to create but at the same time solid, you’re probably gonna get done 1-0 which is exactly what happened. Let’s throw caution to the wind and at least do something that will get us on the scoresheet to begin with.

Total ramblings from me but it’s not all doom and gloom by a long way. McAtee is probably due back for BW and Scannell is supposedly getting fitter. Maybe he could provide that competition in behind Taylor.

R2 would have been nice but it was a freebie yesterday. Lessons learnt, forget about the result now and look forward to Solihull.

Coke and Fox failed against Notts County and failed yesterday.

As regards the "freebie"  it was a total loss, loss of a winnings prize and the loss of a possible big pay day if we had managed to get to round 3.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
quebec38
November 7, 2021, 4:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
Failed against Notts Co?? Fox was asked to play the McAtee role and did OK considering it isn’t his position. Hunt and Coke were side by side behind him. All 3 did fine in a cobbled-together lineup that didn’t deserve to lose. Pointless argument anyway because I meant Hunt alongside Fox in the middle of a 4.

You’re right it was a competitive game and there are no freebies. But if we don’t go up this season it will have nothing to do with the fact we went of the FA Cup in round 1 away at Kidderminster.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
arryarryarry
November 7, 2021, 5:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,944
Quoted from quebec38
Failed against Notts Co?? Fox was asked to play the McAtee role and did OK considering it isn’t his position. Hunt and Coke were side by side behind him. All 3 did fine in a cobbled-together lineup that didn’t deserve to lose. Pointless argument anyway because I meant Hunt alongside Fox in the middle of a 4.

You’re right it was a competitive game and there are no freebies. But if we don’t go up this season it will have nothing to do with the fact we went of the FA Cup in round 1 away at Kidderminster.

Who said anything about losing yesterday and going up? I don't know the point you are trying to make there.

It must be every team's ambition at our level to look for that big pay day. Lincoln made a decent wedge a few seasons ago, we must have made a bit out of Palace and Chelsea.

I was hoping that if we made a bit of cash it would have gone someway to getting rid of the Fenty legacy.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
KingstonMariner
November 7, 2021, 7:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I couldn’t make out what they were singing, but I suspect they were doing so because they have tiny penisss

Ooh! The Grimsby branch of the UVF don't like that! Red crosses rather than red hands though  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
wigworld
November 8, 2021, 12:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I have a tiny tackle, but I don't sing sectarian songs.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 31
bedders78
November 8, 2021, 9:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from HerveJosse

Not just yesterday that the formation has changed we have gone into each of the three games lost with a new formation..

We played the usual 4-2-3-1 against Wealdstone and Notts County, with an injured McAtee behind LJL in the first and Fox behind LJL in the second. Kidderminster was a good opportunity to try out a change away from the league

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
pontoonlew
November 8, 2021, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from bedders78

We played the usual 4-2-3-1 against Wealdstone and Notts County, with an injured McAtee behind LJL in the first and Fox behind LJL in the second. Kidderminster was a good opportunity to try out a change away from the league

We did try that formation against Stockport as well in the league and for me, that was our worst half of football all season before this current run. Was very surprised to see us try it again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.