Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Elliott Jackson (Grimsby Live)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 80 Guests

Elliott Jackson (Grimsby Live)

This thread currently has 10,976 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
October 27, 2021, 7:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,730
Gold Stars: 1,508
There’s literally nothing worth reading in the sports section of the Telegraph now. Even if you can get beyond the horrendous user experience which overwhelms you with garish and intrusive ads, there is no content of any quality to redeem it.

Click bait titles, regurgitated quotes taken from interviews you’ve already listened to (only with added spin), articles duplicated from other publications in the network only with the word ‘Grimsby’ added in, and ‘opinion’ from people that haven’t got a scooby what they’re on about.

I understand why they’re doing what they’re doing - making money out of local media is a tough gig in this day and age. But what they’re doing is short-sighted and they’re only signing their own death warrant in the long-term. Alienate your audience for long enough, and there won’t be any more chumps around to take the bait.

Absolute shithoúse.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 67
ska face
October 27, 2021, 8:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,773
Gold Stars: 851
He was prattling on about some big interview with Hunt supposedly being pushed last week, but all I saw was a paragraph about how he might, or might not, stay after Jan, then something about Waterfall the day after. Not exactly Frost/Nixon.

On that, there was another interview with Hunt in the Athletic last week, did anyone read it?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 67
Saudimariner
October 27, 2021, 8:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9
Because I live in the States, I can only follow Town's matches on the Grimsby Live website, but the "commentary" now just seems like a series of complaints about the team, and individuals in the team (which is grossly unfair, and is only opinion, not fact).  I'm also getting annoyed with the gaps in commentary - I know there are occasional problems with the WiFi, but it's now getting to be a regular thing that there will be a 10 minute gap between comments.  Picking on certain members of the team is bound to affect the team morale, which was very good.
As I said, it's the only way I can follow the match - fro a 12.30 kickoff, I have to start listening at 7.30am, but if he carries on like this, I'll just have to get the results on the BBC website after the match is finished. Frankly, it's getting depressing to read all his complaints, and the way the team (and the club) is progressing, it should be a time for celebration!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 67
Poojah
October 27, 2021, 8:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Saudimariner
Because I live in the States, I can only follow Town's matches on the Grimsby Live website, but the "commentary" now just seems like a series of complaints about the team, and individuals in the team (which is grossly unfair, and is only opinion, not fact).  I'm also getting annoyed with the gaps in commentary - I know there are occasional problems with the WiFi, but it's now getting to be a regular thing that there will be a 10 minute gap between comments.  Picking on certain members of the team is bound to affect the team morale, which was very good.
As I said, it's the only way I can follow the match - fro a 12.30 kickoff, I have to start listening at 7.30am, but if he carries on like this, I'll just have to get the results on the BBC website after the match is finished. Frankly, it's getting depressing to read all his complaints, and the way the team (and the club) is progressing, it should be a time for celebration!

Side note, but can you not use a VPN to listen to commentary on the BBC?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 67
chaos33
October 27, 2021, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,994
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Poojah
There’s literally nothing worth reading in the sports section of the Telegraph now. Even if you can get beyond the horrendous user experience which overwhelms you with garish and intrusive ads, there is no content of any quality to redeem it.

Click bait titles, regurgitated quotes taken from interviews you’ve already listened to (only with added spin), articles duplicated from other publications in the network only with the word ‘Grimsby’ added in, and ‘opinion’ from people that haven’t got a scooby what they’re on about.

I understand why they’re doing what they’re doing - making money out of local media is a tough gig in this day and age. But what they’re doing is short-sighted and they’re only signing their own death warrant in the long-term. Alienate your audience for long enough, and there won’t be any more chumps around to take the bait.

Absolute shithoúse.

This.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 67
pontoonlew
October 27, 2021, 8:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I think he’d do well to remember his predecessors journalism kick started Fenty’s demise and 1878 taking over.

That’s proper ‘journalism’ for you, none of this shite. I can take people on here questioning players etc, it’s part of being a fan, but it’s not what a guy detached from the club should be pumping out on a daily basis.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 67
supertown
October 27, 2021, 8:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Poojah

Side note, but can you not use a VPN to listen to commentary on the BBC?

Or follow the match thread on here , it’s not text commentary but it’s a lot quicker !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 67
MaccasBoots
October 27, 2021, 9:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 23
While I do think some of his articles are a bit click bait and in bad taste, I do think it's more naiveté and being over enthusiastic than him being deliberately malicious. Do feel a bit bad for him getting pelters from town fans all over twitter, probably just needs a bit of a steer as opposed to abuse imo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 67
Posh Harry
October 27, 2021, 9:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,371
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from chaos33
Not worth bothering with. Remember, he’s part of a really superficial media apparatus that don’t want people to think - only feel. It thrives on knee jerk emotional responses.just like the rest of the modern media - see brexit etc. Not only is it unhelpful, counterproductive and unrealistic, it’s f@cking boring. Best thing is to just ignore it. Your time is worth way more.

Gold Star from me 👏👏👏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 67
Poojah
October 27, 2021, 9:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from supertown

Or follow the match thread on here , it’s not text commentary but it’s a lot quicker !

It is indeed, plus you get the added jeopardy of reading sole messages that simply say something like "FUUUCK!!11" without any context, not knowing whether we've conceded a goal, conceded a penalty, had a man sent off, are under relentless pressure, or have just missed a sitter.

Refreshing frantically while praying we've just hit the post from two yards, and then the sigh of relief when it turns out Lennie's just done a 'Lennie' - almost more exciting than being at the match itself.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Elliott Jackson (Grimsby Live)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.