Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: AlwaysHaddock1878, October 27, 2021, 3:27pm
Yet another serving of click bait from this young journalist from Yorkshire following on from yesterdays result - now getting into a spat with fans on Twitter. Why does Grimsby Live insist on trying to tarnish the positivity at the club at the moment? Madness
Posted by: lukeo, October 27, 2021, 4:02pm; Reply: 1
I'm going to unfollow it.. Loads and loads of content but for me only 10% of it is any good.
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 27, 2021, 4:30pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from AlwaysHaddock1878
Yet another serving of click bait from this young journalist from Yorkshire following on from yesterdays result - now getting into a spat with fans on Twitter. Why does Grimsby Live insist on trying to tarnish the positivity at the club at the moment? Madness

Because that is what that site is now reduced to I’m afraid.
It’s a bit like the talk sport presenters spouting absolute bollox just to get a reaction. Any click is a good click in their eyes.
The point is unfortunately proven by the fact this thread exists. !
Posted by: Hagrid, October 27, 2021, 4:31pm; Reply: 3
Well he had a pop at Lennie last week, Sousa today, not needed, not surprised he's getting excrement
Posted by: OneLove, October 27, 2021, 5:18pm; Reply: 4
the guys an idiot and wants to intercourse off back to barnsley
Posted by: AlwaysHaddock1878, October 27, 2021, 5:31pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Hagrid
Well he had a pop at Lennie last week, Sousa today, not needed, not surprised he's getting excrement

I think a Town fan said something to him today and he didn’t like it. Can’t believe Grimsby Live is employing morons like him especially from out of town.
Posted by: quebec38, October 27, 2021, 5:34pm; Reply: 6
Obviously nobody wants to see a pile-on BUT why are people defending the guy? Not seen any real nastiness beyond the odd juvenile insult.

On Saturday he claims Hunt is the best player on the pitch. We’re all big fans of Hunt but Hunt himself will tell you that wasn’t true. He got brought off after an hour because he’d had his worst game for the club.

He goes after Lenny for some odd reasons and now Sousa even though the fan base are agreed he has been fantastic since arriving. Then he tells us he’s been to BP once so why shouldn’t people be sticking up for the club and players?

Football is a game of opinions as we all know but this guy has formed an opinion (and a bad one at that) that he is paid to make make public, off nothing.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 27, 2021, 5:52pm; Reply: 7
Just completely ignore the cnt and if he carries on the club will stop answering his requests so he will soon be out of work.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 27, 2021, 7:15pm; Reply: 8
As things stand, he's probably getting more clicks than his predecessor but if he's not careful, Hurst will snap and refuse him access to players.

His energy would be much better spent riding the wave of positivity otherwise 1878 might cut him off too.
Posted by: chaos33, October 27, 2021, 7:30pm; Reply: 9
Not worth bothering with. Remember, he’s part of a really superficial media apparatus that don’t want people to think - only feel. It thrives on knee jerk emotional responses.just like the rest of the modern media - see brexit etc. Not only is it unhelpful, counterproductive and unrealistic, it’s f@cking boring. Best thing is to just ignore it. Your time is worth way more.
Posted by: Poojah, October 27, 2021, 7:54pm; Reply: 10
There’s literally nothing worth reading in the sports section of the Telegraph now. Even if you can get beyond the horrendous user experience which overwhelms you with garish and intrusive ads, there is no content of any quality to redeem it.

Click bait titles, regurgitated quotes taken from interviews you’ve already listened to (only with added spin), articles duplicated from other publications in the network only with the word ‘Grimsby’ added in, and ‘opinion’ from people that haven’t got a scooby what they’re on about.

I understand why they’re doing what they’re doing - making money out of local media is a tough gig in this day and age. But what they’re doing is short-sighted and they’re only signing their own death warrant in the long-term. Alienate your audience for long enough, and there won’t be any more chumps around to take the bait.

Absolute shithoúse.
Posted by: ska face, October 27, 2021, 8:13pm; Reply: 11
He was prattling on about some big interview with Hunt supposedly being pushed last week, but all I saw was a paragraph about how he might, or might not, stay after Jan, then something about Waterfall the day after. Not exactly Frost/Nixon.

On that, there was another interview with Hunt in the Athletic last week, did anyone read it?
Posted by: Saudimariner, October 27, 2021, 8:27pm; Reply: 12
Because I live in the States, I can only follow Town's matches on the Grimsby Live website, but the "commentary" now just seems like a series of complaints about the team, and individuals in the team (which is grossly unfair, and is only opinion, not fact).  I'm also getting annoyed with the gaps in commentary - I know there are occasional problems with the WiFi, but it's now getting to be a regular thing that there will be a 10 minute gap between comments.  Picking on certain members of the team is bound to affect the team morale, which was very good.
As I said, it's the only way I can follow the match - fro a 12.30 kickoff, I have to start listening at 7.30am, but if he carries on like this, I'll just have to get the results on the BBC website after the match is finished. Frankly, it's getting depressing to read all his complaints, and the way the team (and the club) is progressing, it should be a time for celebration!
Posted by: Poojah, October 27, 2021, 8:34pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Saudimariner
Because I live in the States, I can only follow Town's matches on the Grimsby Live website, but the "commentary" now just seems like a series of complaints about the team, and individuals in the team (which is grossly unfair, and is only opinion, not fact).  I'm also getting annoyed with the gaps in commentary - I know there are occasional problems with the WiFi, but it's now getting to be a regular thing that there will be a 10 minute gap between comments.  Picking on certain members of the team is bound to affect the team morale, which was very good.
As I said, it's the only way I can follow the match - fro a 12.30 kickoff, I have to start listening at 7.30am, but if he carries on like this, I'll just have to get the results on the BBC website after the match is finished. Frankly, it's getting depressing to read all his complaints, and the way the team (and the club) is progressing, it should be a time for celebration!

Side note, but can you not use a VPN to listen to commentary on the BBC?
Posted by: chaos33, October 27, 2021, 8:40pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Poojah
There’s literally nothing worth reading in the sports section of the Telegraph now. Even if you can get beyond the horrendous user experience which overwhelms you with garish and intrusive ads, there is no content of any quality to redeem it.

Click bait titles, regurgitated quotes taken from interviews you’ve already listened to (only with added spin), articles duplicated from other publications in the network only with the word ‘Grimsby’ added in, and ‘opinion’ from people that haven’t got a scooby what they’re on about.

I understand why they’re doing what they’re doing - making money out of local media is a tough gig in this day and age. But what they’re doing is short-sighted and they’re only signing their own death warrant in the long-term. Alienate your audience for long enough, and there won’t be any more chumps around to take the bait.

Absolute shithoúse.

This.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 27, 2021, 8:41pm; Reply: 15
I think he’d do well to remember his predecessors journalism kick started Fenty’s demise and 1878 taking over.

That’s proper ‘journalism’ for you, none of this shite. I can take people on here questioning players etc, it’s part of being a fan, but it’s not what a guy detached from the club should be pumping out on a daily basis.
Posted by: supertown, October 27, 2021, 8:42pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Poojah

Side note, but can you not use a VPN to listen to commentary on the BBC?

Or follow the match thread on here , it’s not text commentary but it’s a lot quicker !
Posted by: MaccasBoots, October 27, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 17
While I do think some of his articles are a bit click bait and in bad taste, I do think it's more naiveté and being over enthusiastic than him being deliberately malicious. Do feel a bit bad for him getting pelters from town fans all over twitter, probably just needs a bit of a steer as opposed to abuse imo.
Posted by: Posh Harry, October 27, 2021, 9:33pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from chaos33
Not worth bothering with. Remember, he’s part of a really superficial media apparatus that don’t want people to think - only feel. It thrives on knee jerk emotional responses.just like the rest of the modern media - see brexit etc. Not only is it unhelpful, counterproductive and unrealistic, it’s f@cking boring. Best thing is to just ignore it. Your time is worth way more.

Gold Star from me 👏👏👏
Posted by: Poojah, October 27, 2021, 9:51pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from supertown

Or follow the match thread on here , it’s not text commentary but it’s a lot quicker !

It is indeed, plus you get the added jeopardy of reading sole messages that simply say something like "FUUUCK!!11" without any context, not knowing whether we've conceded a goal, conceded a penalty, had a man sent off, are under relentless pressure, or have just missed a sitter.

Refreshing frantically while praying we've just hit the post from two yards, and then the sigh of relief when it turns out Lennie's just done a 'Lennie' - almost more exciting than being at the match itself.
Posted by: DB, October 27, 2021, 9:56pm; Reply: 20
Do what I do, don't buy the GT, and don't read the Mariners' pages on the GL site.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, October 27, 2021, 10:07pm; Reply: 21
Not been on Grimsby live for years, it excrement, like the GET. Never been the same since it moved out of the area, cannot forgive GET for getting rid of the Sports Telegraph.
I would be in a quene at 6pm on Saturday waiting to get my hands on a copy of the Sports Telegraph, not just for match reports, but it had good coverage of all the local sports and league tables, sometimes I would be reading about myself in the cricket section.
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, October 27, 2021, 10:25pm; Reply: 22
He’ll be pleased that his clickbait style has caused a stir, but the thing is, people aren’t stupid and have quickly got wise to him. It’s not a viable model in the long term - arrive, wind up fans/players and then sit back and wait for a reaction, good or bad. He’ll probably need to move on quick and do the same thing somewhere else. So very sad how the Telegraph has faded, unrecognisable now and on borrowed time. A bit like this wind-up merchant.
Posted by: Poojah, October 27, 2021, 10:44pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Not been on Grimsby live for years, it excrement, like the GET. Never been the same since it moved out of the area, cannot forgive GET for getting rid of the Sports Telegraph.
I would be in a quene at 6pm on Saturday waiting to get my hands on a copy of the Sports Telegraph, not just for match reports, but it had good coverage of all the local sports and league tables, sometimes I would be reading about myself in the cricket section.

Even the back page of the Telegraph during the week used to be something to look forward to; as a kid I'd be waiting impatiently in the hallway waiting for the paperboy to drop it off. The internet hadn't really taken off yet, Teletext was a pretty blunt instrument and the Telegraph used to be the main source of news.

Odd what you remember, but I recall there being quite a long running saga in the run-up to signing Lee Ashcroft. As a 13 year old lad, having just witnessed the Wembley double a few weeks earlier (and you didn't have to be very old to know that the Bournemouth game was our first ever visit there) it was pretty exciting that we might be paying half-a-million for a player. At the time, Alan Shearer was the world most expensive signing at £15m, so using Neymar's £198m record as a guide, it'd be like us spunking £6.6m on someone tomorrow.

The day Ashcroft signed, it might even have been on the front page, but the headline was simply "Lee glee for Town". Not particularly creative, but it sticks in the mind. He might have only ever been a lukewarm success for Town, maybe less in the context of his transfer fee, but the local paper used to deliver important news. And at the time, it was important, exciting news. I remember the GET also broke the news of his surprise departure to Wigan in the league below, following a training ground bust-up with Alan Buckley.

You can't deny that the world has changed. For the most part, local newspapers can't play the role of news breaker any more, at least where football is concerned (although as already pointed out above, they did break the Alex May story, which may go on to be one to be a very pivotal moment in our recent-ish history), so surely they have to reinvent themselves as something else. Something other than inflammatory, click-bait journalism at least.

But therein lies the rub. Quality journalism costs money, and investing in journalism isn't something the Reach plc model is built on. Spam, egg and chips is cheap too, but eat it exclusively, day in, day out and you'll soon be dead. And that's exactly what's gonna happen to these shysters.
Posted by: LH, October 27, 2021, 11:13pm; Reply: 24
“What do you want to do when you grow up Elliott?”
“Watch football.”

Fair one tbf. I still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up and I’m nearly 32.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 27, 2021, 11:14pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Poojah

Even the back page of the Telegraph during the week used to be something to look forward to; as a kid I'd be waiting impatiently in the hallway waiting for the paperboy to drop it off. The internet hadn't really taken off yet, Teletext was a pretty blunt instrument and the Telegraph used to be the main source of news.

Odd what you remember, but I recall there being quite a long running saga in the run-up to signing Lee Ashcroft. As a 13 year old lad, having just witnessed the Wembley double a few weeks earlier (and you didn't have to be very old to know that the Bournemouth game was our first ever visit there) it was pretty exciting that we might be paying half-a-million for a player. At the time, Alan Shearer was the world most expensive signing at £15m, so using Neymar's £198m record as a guide, it'd be like us spunking £6.6m on someone tomorrow.

The day Ashcroft signed, it might even have been on the front page, but the headline was simply "Lee glee for Town". Not particularly creative, but it sticks in the mind. He might have only ever been a lukewarm success for Town, maybe less in the context of his transfer fee, but the local paper used to deliver important news. And at the time, it was important, exciting news. I remember the GET also broke the news of his surprise departure to Wigan in the league below, following a training ground bust-up with Alan Buckley.

You can't deny that the world has changed. For the most part, local newspapers can't play the role of news breaker any more, at least where football is concerned (although as already pointed out above, they did break the Alex May story, which may go on to be one to be a very pivotal moment in our recent-ish history), so surely they have to reinvent themselves as something else. Something other than inflammatory, click-bait journalism at least.

But therein lies the rub. Quality journalism costs money, and investing in journalism isn't something the Reach plc model is built on. Spam, egg and chips is cheap too, but eat it exclusively, day in, day out and you'll soon be dead. And that's exactly what's gonna happen to these shysters.

What can we realistically expect when they run a huge story falsely reporting that the former owner of the Winter Gardens had passed away?
Posted by: Poojah, October 27, 2021, 11:23pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from jamesgtfc

What can we realistically expect when they run a huge story falsely reporting that the former owner of the Winter Gardens had passed away?

A prominent apology for running said story?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 27, 2021, 11:31pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from LH
“What do you want to do when you grow up Elliott?”
“Watch football.”

Fair one tbf. I still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up and I’m nearly 32.

I still ask myself that and I’m 58. Pretty soon I’ll be saying “a pensioner”.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 28, 2021, 5:56am; Reply: 28
It’s sad, there are likely budding journalists and folk that genuinely care about the area but Reach couldn’t give a excrement and simply generating income from their god awful website is their model…

Print media, or print news has been on life support for years and whilst the sodomist newspapers can run features etc which entice people to buy them, local print media is pretty dead. I’m some respects it’s probably eaten itself with the obsession for making money and clicks rather than content…

That said, a favourite past time is reading their Facebook page as and laughing at the comments of readers and then just putting ‘state the obvious’ responses and watching people bite…
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 28, 2021, 7:41am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Poojah

I just wish whichever journalist wrote the headline ‘Fancy a lift? Call a Kabba’ knew how often I thought of his headline about us signing Steve Kabba whilst sat in the relegation zone.

There’s something nostalgic about those back pages as a kid, granted you were days late to everything but it was at least exciting.
Posted by: lukeo, October 28, 2021, 8:11am; Reply: 30
Unfollowed.
Posted by: Toppy, October 28, 2021, 9:34am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Saudimariner

You can listen to the Radio Humberside commentary of National League matches from the BBC website without needing a VPN. For overseas expats it is one of the few positives about being non-league. I usually find it via the BBC football webpage - select 'All Leagues and Cups' then 'National League' . On matchday the first option is usually 'Listen to live commentary' (before all of the articles about Wrexham!) then you just need to find Radio Humberside for the dulcet tones of JT. Note: it does not work for FA cup matches.
I gave up with the telegraph/Gy Live commentary a long time ago and, as Poojah mentioned, the Fishy live thread is good for the passion but almost impossible to work out what the bloody score is (except we are usually losing if the thread is full of xyz is crap and winning if full of this squad should walk league 2, 1, champs league and probably drawing if most of the comments are about Scunny   :))
Posted by: Henryscat, October 28, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 32
Clicks generate ad revenue.

Interactions create increased exposure due to algorithms.

Say something left field and you get the clicks. People commenting “you’re a helmet” is an interaction.

His views are ridiculous, but as an employee he’s doing his job astoundingly well.

Best thing to do is unfollow.
Posted by: Poojah, October 28, 2021, 11:05am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Henryscat
Clicks generate ad revenue.

Interactions create increased exposure due to algorithms.

Say something left field and you get the clicks. People commenting “you’re a helmet” is an interaction.

His views are ridiculous, but as an employee he’s doing his job astoundingly well.

Best thing to do is unfollow.

One recent headline: Nagging Grimsby Town transfer question grows as Erico Sousa exasperates Paul Hurst frustration

He doesn’t know the difference between the word ‘exasperates’ and ‘exacerbates’. That’s not a symptom of someone in his position doing their job well.
Posted by: Henryscat, October 28, 2021, 11:10am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Poojah

One recent headline: Nagging Grimsby Town transfer question grows as Erico Sousa exasperates Paul Hurst frustration

He doesn’t know the difference between the word ‘exasperates’ and ‘exacerbates’. That’s not a symptom of someone in his position doing their job well.

Yet you remembered it.

Possibly clicked, possibly commented on his poor grasp of the English language. Every click and comment generates income.

It’s a sad sad state of affairs. Gy Live is littered with typos. Do you think his employers care more about his vocabulary or ad revenue?
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 28, 2021, 11:11am; Reply: 35
Reach Organisation circulation figures are plummeting ,they are so bad they have refused to publish them.Journalist continually being made redundant.They employ kids and pay them peanuts.The whole organisation is a disgrace  
Posted by: Poojah, October 28, 2021, 11:16am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Henryscat

Yet you remembered it.

Possibly clicked, possibly commented on his poor grasp of the English language. Every click and comment generates income.

It’s a sad sad state of affairs. Gy Live is littered with typos. Do you think his employers care more about his vocabulary or ad revenue?

I visited the homepage of the Sports section on account of this thread. I didn’t get beyond reading the headlines because it’s obvious what they are.

To answer your question, I imagine his employers do care about vocabulary, though of course revenue is the ultimate litmus test. My point however is that in the short-term this kind of click bait approach, trying to get a rise out of people, will serve well on that front, however it will be short-lived once people learn that there is no content of any real value or worth to be had. Personally, I haven’t read the site on a regular basis for many months now, I’m sure many others fall into that category.
Posted by: Henryscat, October 28, 2021, 11:22am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Poojah

I visited the homepage of the Sports section on account of this thread. I didn’t get beyond reading the headlines because it’s obvious what they are.

To answer your question, I imagine his employers do care about vocabulary, though of course revenue is the ultimate litmus test. My point however is that in the short-term this kind of click bait approach, trying to get a rise out of people, will serve well on that front, however it will be short-lived once people learn that there is no content of any real value or worth to be had. Personally, I haven’t read the site on a regular basis for many months now, I’m sure many others fall into that category.

The last time I visited the site myself was the Alex May incident. Before that I can’t remember.

The guy, new in his job, will have increased clicks this week, which will please his employers. Don’t agree with it at all personally but it’s the world we live in nowadays. Hopefully, the overall circulation suffers eventually.

I would imagine this very site has an increase in clicks when a certain “fact right” poster posts.

Anyway, onwards to Saturday. UTM

Posted by: sam gy, October 28, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 38
I agree with a lot of points on here around the way local paper/journalism is presented these days but I dunno, i'm not sure that he's really said a whole lot of things that are that controversial....there's plenty of other ways of getting news and updates about Town - Matt Dean & Humberside's excellent interviews and coverage, Cod Almighty, etc. Just don't follow him if you don't wanna read his stuff - no need for the pile on IMO.

Most articles throughout the week are just based on what has been said in the pre and post match interviews anyway, and they make them stretch for a few days after. Just listen to the interviews.

People have said he was digging into Lenny...but the fact is that a fair few fans were having a debate about his merits and he obviously saw a story in that.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 28, 2021, 11:56am; Reply: 39
Clickbait headlines have made clever headlines a thing of the past.

I remember when Michael Appleton scored an equaliser for us against Man City in a 1-1 draw (96/97 season). He'd played well on loan for us, then got dropped for a game (I think) before returning to the side.

The Sports Telegraph headline was 'Appy Mariner Makes A Point'

Today the headline would be 'One thing Michael Appleton did that will make him undroppable for next game'.
Posted by: kafunanapar140909, October 28, 2021, 12:23pm; Reply: 40
Speaking as someone with a background in the sports media, it really is (depressingly) all about income – especially so at the local media level. Local newspapers just haven’t managed to make digital transition work yet. Even national titles have only recently got to grips with living mostly online. The nationals have managed to nurture international audiences and build business models on either memberships/contributions (i.e. the Guardian) or standard paywalls (The Times/Telegraph, etc.). Even then, the big-name papers have spent the first two decades of this century generally bricking it and cutting costs where they can. It is less common for journalists to be sent abroad to cover sports events, for instance. Like instead of full press tours following the England cricket team, a handful of journalists will now make the trip, but a large chunk of content creation is farmed out to the local media people of whichever country they’re going to, because it’s cheaper.

At the local level different things have been tried. The Huddersfield Examiner ran an experiment a couple of years ago where readers had a digital “wallet” and were charged 25p per article up to £1 (with the whole site unlocking at that point). So, assuming you read more than four articles, it’d cost you £1 per week to read the local paper. They didn’t think it worked, though, so went back to the template which we’re familiar with.

The biggest issue for the local press in the digital age is that advertising revenue is apparently the best/only option for income, yet that revenue represents a fraction of what you got for selling physical newspapers in the pre-internet era. So, Reach and others are stuck in a cycle of trying to maximise income through ads, which means generating clicks, which means producing rubbish clickbaity articles. The journalists themselves are stretched across multiple clubs/areas and so cut corners where possible (milking solitary interviews for a ridiculous number of articles) and have no chance to build an affinity with the place they are supposed to be covering. Elliott Jackson – a very junior reporter and all Reach can afford – is “Grimsby Town reporter” in name only, and with Town only being a fraction of his interests his work has come across somewhat tone deaf at times.

I would happily pay £1 per week for quality local journalism. The problem is, nobody is going to look at what’s out there currently and think “I’ll pay for that”. Sites like The Athletic are the way forward but Reach has already shot itself in the foot.
Posted by: Poojah, October 28, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from RichMariner
Clickbait headlines have made clever headlines a thing of the past.

I remember when Michael Appleton scored an equaliser for us against Man City in a 1-1 draw (96/97 season). He'd played well on loan for us, then got dropped for a game (I think) before returning to the side.

The Sports Telegraph headline was 'Appy Mariner Makes A Point'

Today the headline would be 'One thing Michael Appleton did that will make him undroppable for next game'.

I’m just waiting for the article entitled “How Tony Gallimore looks today will break your heart”, which proceeds to force you to click, one page at a time, through before and after photos of 20 Town players before getting to a photo of Gally showing him to be absolutely fine.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 28, 2021, 1:02pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Poojah

I’m just waiting for the article entitled “How Tony Gallimore looks today will break your heart”, which proceeds to force you to click, one page at a time, through before and after photos of 20 Town players before getting to a photo of Gally showing him to be absolutely fine.

It's when you click on the 7th page and it brings up an advert for some sort of sexual supplement, which really fillets my flounder.

I never even make it to Gally's bit so I have to imagine how he looks now.
Posted by: Saudimariner, October 28, 2021, 1:54pm; Reply: 43
While we're being nostalgic about the headlines on the back page of the telegraph, do any of you have a particular favourite? The one I remember most is when Malcolm Partridge (remember him?) scored two goals in a town win just before Christmas (can't remember the year), and the headline read:

"Partridge in a Pair Spree"

At the time, I thought that was great - must have taken some creative thought.
Posted by: RobDef1, October 28, 2021, 1:58pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Saudimariner
While we're being nostalgic about the headlines on the back page of the telegraph, do any of you have a particular favourite? The one I remember most is when Malcolm Partridge (remember him?) scored two goals in a town win just before Christmas (can't remember the year), and the headline read:

KOP THAT
Posted by: AussieMariner, October 28, 2021, 3:24pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Saudimariner

My favourite, from the early 70s was ‘Queen in brawl at Palace’
Posted by: kafunanapar140909, October 28, 2021, 3:44pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Saudimariner

There's the famous one from the Scottish Sun in 2000 when Inverness Caledonian Thistle won at Celtic in the Scottish Cup:

"Super Caley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious"
Posted by: Sandford1981, October 28, 2021, 3:46pm; Reply: 47
My favourite of all time was after Inverness Caledonian Thistle turned over Celtic in a shock 3-1 win;

SUPER CALEY GO BALLISTIC, CELTIC ARE ATROCIOUS

Ace!
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 28, 2021, 4:54pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Saudimariner

Brolly reigns.  (One for the oldies 😉 )

Posted by: WesternMariner, October 28, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 49

It's when you click on the 7th page and it brings up an advert for some sort of sexual supplement, which really fillets my flounder.

I never even make it to Gally's bit so I have to imagine how he looks now.

When I get to page 7 it has an advert telling me how to marry a ladyboy can anyone explain why?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 28, 2021, 8:27pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Civvy at last

Brolly reigns.  (One for the oldies 😉 )

The morning after the Everton game if I recall?
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 28, 2021, 9:23pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The morning after the Everton game if I recall?

You recall correctly  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 28, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from WesternMariner

When I get to page 7 it has an advert telling me how to marry a ladyboy can anyone explain why?

Well there are some very good reasons why you should marry a……oh! Whoops! 🤭
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 28, 2021, 10:13pm; Reply: 53

Non football but I remember the Telegraph headline years ago (April 1st) that the Dock Tower was to be demolished and replaced by a cardboard cutout of the same size.

Allegedly people actually rang in to complain  8)
Posted by: Son of Cod, October 29, 2021, 9:35am; Reply: 54

Well, targeted ads usually work based off your Google/search history...
Posted by: quebec38, October 29, 2021, 10:00am; Reply: 55

Ha ha I also have this ad.

Can confirm I have not been googling Asian beauties (and that’s the story I’m sticking too).
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 29, 2021, 1:35pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from quebec38

Ha ha I also have this ad.

Can confirm I have not been googling Asian beauties (and that’s the story I’m sticking too).

But you accept ladyboys are beauties 😉
Posted by: acko338, November 11, 2021, 2:28pm; Reply: 57
11th November - he strikes again on Grimsby Live !

Another start of a Bogle loan wind up story !!
Posted by: Poojah, November 11, 2021, 2:34pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from acko338
11th November - he strikes again on Grimsby Live !

Another start of a Bogle loan wind up story !!

Do you know what, I had a look on there earlier for the first time in ages as sometimes you get the odd early tidbit from the presser on a Thursday, only to stumble across that particular article.

It’s a complete regurgitation of quotes from September, when Hurst confirmed that Bogle had turned us down, with the addition of a paragraph suggesting he might, with absolutely no validation whatsoever, be willing to reconsider.

Lazy journalism of the highest order. If you’re going to have a “who could Town be in for” article, at least do some fresh research and come up with something new and mildly thought provoking.
Posted by: dicko995, November 11, 2021, 2:47pm; Reply: 59
Don't   !!!
Posted by: acko338, November 11, 2021, 3:25pm; Reply: 60
As sure as eggs are eggs, this will be his lead story in the Telegraph tomorrow !!

If he does some research, ..  if he is able ..... there may even be a link to Bogle's music !!.....  .. with a quote from Welland pleading us to sign him !!
Posted by: male private Nale, November 11, 2021, 3:56pm; Reply: 61
The telegraph is the pits , leading with whimsical conjecture instead of news. That Elliot fella is stealing a living , trawling through old news and social media to cobble together some made up fancy.
Posted by: DB, November 11, 2021, 4:46pm; Reply: 62
Just when you think the GT/GL can't get any worse they manage it with ease.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 11, 2021, 7:57pm; Reply: 63
I’ve blocked all the sites on Twitter, can’t get past the click bait and spam on #gtfc without doing that. Total load of shite.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 12, 2021, 6:03pm; Reply: 64
Do not, I warn you, do not go on twitter, his click bait has gone to a new level today🤬
Posted by: chaos33, November 12, 2021, 6:42pm; Reply: 65
Absolute load of old tripe and a waste of time and money.
Posted by: Dave Gilberts Left Peg, November 12, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 66
Call me old fashioned but we don't like Yorkies and they don't like us. Why would you have a tyke reporting on town? He's obviously on the wind up.
Posted by: acko338, November 12, 2021, 7:10pm; Reply: 67
Full page published today along with a word for word repeat of the Hurst pre match interview.

Thank heavens for copy and paste, so as not to have to talk to people instead !!
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 5:40am