Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Elliott Jackson (Grimsby Live)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 249 Guests

Elliott Jackson (Grimsby Live)

This thread currently has 10,937 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
October 28, 2021, 8:11am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Unfollowed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
Toppy
October 28, 2021, 9:34am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: +83
Quoted from Saudimariner
Because I live in the States, I can only follow Town's matches on the Grimsby Live website, but the "commentary" now just seems like a series of complaints about the team, and individuals in the team (which is grossly unfair, and is only opinion, not fact).  I'm also getting annoyed with the gaps in commentary - I know there are occasional problems with the WiFi, but it's now getting to be a regular thing that there will be a 10 minute gap between comments.  Picking on certain members of the team is bound to affect the team morale, which was very good.
As I said, it's the only way I can follow the match - fro a 12.30 kickoff, I have to start listening at 7.30am, but if he carries on like this, I'll just have to get the results on the BBC website after the match is finished. Frankly, it's getting depressing to read all his complaints, and the way the team (and the club) is progressing, it should be a time for celebration!

You can listen to the Radio Humberside commentary of National League matches from the BBC website without needing a VPN. For overseas expats it is one of the few positives about being non-league. I usually find it via the BBC football webpage - select 'All Leagues and Cups' then 'National League' . On matchday the first option is usually 'Listen to live commentary' (before all of the articles about Wrexham!) then you just need to find Radio Humberside for the dulcet tones of JT. Note: it does not work for FA cup matches.
I gave up with the telegraph/Gy Live commentary a long time ago and, as Poojah mentioned, the Fishy live thread is good for the passion but almost impossible to work out what the bloody score is (except we are usually losing if the thread is full of xyz is crap and winning if full of this squad should walk league 2, 1, champs league and probably drawing if most of the comments are about Scunny   )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
Henryscat
October 28, 2021, 10:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Clicks generate ad revenue.

Interactions create increased exposure due to algorithms.

Say something left field and you get the clicks. People commenting “you’re a helmet” is an interaction.

His views are ridiculous, but as an employee he’s doing his job astoundingly well.

Best thing to do is unfollow.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
Poojah
October 28, 2021, 11:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,459
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Henryscat
Clicks generate ad revenue.

Interactions create increased exposure due to algorithms.

Say something left field and you get the clicks. People commenting “you’re a helmet” is an interaction.

His views are ridiculous, but as an employee he’s doing his job astoundingly well.

Best thing to do is unfollow.

One recent headline: Nagging Grimsby Town transfer question grows as Erico Sousa exasperates Paul Hurst frustration

He doesn’t know the difference between the word ‘exasperates’ and ‘exacerbates’. That’s not a symptom of someone in his position doing their job well.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
Henryscat
October 28, 2021, 11:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

One recent headline: Nagging Grimsby Town transfer question grows as Erico Sousa exasperates Paul Hurst frustration

He doesn’t know the difference between the word ‘exasperates’ and ‘exacerbates’. That’s not a symptom of someone in his position doing their job well.

Yet you remembered it.

Possibly clicked, possibly commented on his poor grasp of the English language. Every click and comment generates income.

It’s a sad sad state of affairs. Gy Live is littered with typos. Do you think his employers care more about his vocabulary or ad revenue?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
friskneymariner
October 28, 2021, 11:11am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Reach Organisation circulation figures are plummeting ,they are so bad they have refused to publish them.Journalist continually being made redundant.They employ kids and pay them peanuts.The whole organisation is a disgrace  

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
Poojah
October 28, 2021, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,459
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Henryscat

Yet you remembered it.

Possibly clicked, possibly commented on his poor grasp of the English language. Every click and comment generates income.

It’s a sad sad state of affairs. Gy Live is littered with typos. Do you think his employers care more about his vocabulary or ad revenue?

I visited the homepage of the Sports section on account of this thread. I didn’t get beyond reading the headlines because it’s obvious what they are.

To answer your question, I imagine his employers do care about vocabulary, though of course revenue is the ultimate litmus test. My point however is that in the short-term this kind of click bait approach, trying to get a rise out of people, will serve well on that front, however it will be short-lived once people learn that there is no content of any real value or worth to be had. Personally, I haven’t read the site on a regular basis for many months now, I’m sure many others fall into that category.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 67
Henryscat
October 28, 2021, 11:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I visited the homepage of the Sports section on account of this thread. I didn’t get beyond reading the headlines because it’s obvious what they are.

To answer your question, I imagine his employers do care about vocabulary, though of course revenue is the ultimate litmus test. My point however is that in the short-term this kind of click bait approach, trying to get a rise out of people, will serve well on that front, however it will be short-lived once people learn that there is no content of any real value or worth to be had. Personally, I haven’t read the site on a regular basis for many months now, I’m sure many others fall into that category.

The last time I visited the site myself was the Alex May incident. Before that I can’t remember.

The guy, new in his job, will have increased clicks this week, which will please his employers. Don’t agree with it at all personally but it’s the world we live in nowadays. Hopefully, the overall circulation suffers eventually.

I would imagine this very site has an increase in clicks when a certain “fact right” poster posts.

Anyway, onwards to Saturday. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 67
sam gy
October 28, 2021, 11:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,467
Gold Stars: 54
I agree with a lot of points on here around the way local paper/journalism is presented these days but I dunno, i'm not sure that he's really said a whole lot of things that are that controversial....there's plenty of other ways of getting news and updates about Town - Matt Dean & Humberside's excellent interviews and coverage, Cod Almighty, etc. Just don't follow him if you don't wanna read his stuff - no need for the pile on IMO.

Most articles throughout the week are just based on what has been said in the pre and post match interviews anyway, and they make them stretch for a few days after. Just listen to the interviews.

People have said he was digging into Lenny...but the fact is that a fair few fans were having a debate about his merits and he obviously saw a story in that.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
RichMariner
October 28, 2021, 11:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
Clickbait headlines have made clever headlines a thing of the past.

I remember when Michael Appleton scored an equaliser for us against Man City in a 1-1 draw (96/97 season). He'd played well on loan for us, then got dropped for a game (I think) before returning to the side.

The Sports Telegraph headline was 'Appy Mariner Makes A Point'

Today the headline would be 'One thing Michael Appleton did that will make him undroppable for next game'.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 39 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Elliott Jackson (Grimsby Live)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.