Private Message
AndyDarloFC
October 8, 2021, 3:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Seen he hasn’t done much at your place over the last few seasons.

Will he do a job at our level?

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 31
Ipswin
October 8, 2021, 3:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Playing football or flipping the burgers?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
Garth
October 8, 2021, 3:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Probably who knows, given a run he could turn out to be a success, like some of the supposedly no hopers that have turned out stars for us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
diehardmariner
October 8, 2021, 3:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
So the obvious go to here is that here's a player who contributed incredibly little to the worst side in the Football League last year.  A player so poor that he struggled to get into the match day squad when we failed to name a full bench and had youth team lads on there.

That said, how many players were excrement last season?  How many offered absolutely nothing at all?  I'll tell you, the vast majority.  Luke Waterfall has been a rock for us so far this campaign, an absolute rock.  He wins everything at both ends, he's leading by example, he's justifiably keeping a fans favourite out the side.... yet he too was absolutely abysmal last season.  Abysmal is probably kind too.

The point is that any player performance last season are pretty much null and void.  We had no preparation, no coaching, no tactical guidance, no motivation, nothing.  The more and more that came out of the dressing room post-Holloway was that it was chaos.  

Danny Rose came here with a good pedigree.  Fans of several clubs commented that they were surprised he'd dropped to League Two and predicted he would be good for us.  Under a decent manager and set-up from the beginning, he probably would be.

Now, we can argue that he's got some interesting theories.  Personally I don't think 5G phone masts are going to cause my head to explode or is there a wider conspiracy behind vaccinations.  But it's his choice.  That doesn't mean he wasn't a good footballer before coming here.

When he played last season I thought he was ok.  Bit of a by-stander at times but he wasn't the worst player I saw in a Town shirt.  Giles Coke came in and showed what we actually needed from a holding midfielder and it was an upgrade on Rose.  That said, Coke had the benefit of spending the first half of the season training with a more professional outfit than what Rose had (yes, Conference North side Hereford).  

Hurst clearly doesn't fancy him and he's entitled to that opinion.  I wouldn't expect Rose to ever get anywhere near our side, even if we had the biggest injury crisis ever.  But that doesn't mean he's that bad.  In a 3-man midfield with a job of sitting in front of the back four and recycling play, he's alright.  Quietly effective without managing anything spectacular.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
Maringer
October 8, 2021, 4:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
All I seem to remember about him (from the handful of games I had the chance to watch last season), was that he looked to pass the ball around nicely but was liable to give it away needlessly and then lunge in with a stupid challenge to try and regain possession. Gave away a couple of stupid penalties in the games I watched (I think it was a couple).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
forza ivano
October 8, 2021, 4:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,173
Gold Stars: 265
i'm hoping Danny '5g' Rose will be an immediate and stunning success for you Andy, with the result that you immediately sign him on a permanent basis

Think i'm right in saying he was part of two Div 2 promotion sides before joining us. On that basis he will surely be bloody good in Conference North

As someone on our Whatsapp group has just said - harsh on Darlo; we get the rampaging Sousa and they get  Danny 'fruitcake' Rose!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
Rhys_Mariners
October 8, 2021, 4:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +174
Gold Stars: 4
To be fair, when we signed him i was really excited. I was working down south and asked a Swindon friend and he said Rose was fantasic and would be a great player for us, i think it's just been a culmination of things and he will probably end up doing well for them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
moosey_club
October 8, 2021, 4:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Easy target for the boo boys but he didnt have alot around him, looked classy at times, like to play to feet which with some of his counterparts unable to read or control a pass made him look worse than I actually think he was.

Came in at what turned out to be a disastrous time for the club and then suffered a managerial change with a style and approach not suited to his style and fitness levels.

Put him in the right formation with time and space and I think he could be pretty influential

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
GollyGTFC
October 8, 2021, 4:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,978
Gold Stars: 356
Are Darlo semi-pro? If they are it will be ideal because he’ll have plenty of time to spout conspiracy theory nonsense on social media.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 31
davmariner
October 8, 2021, 4:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Professional giver away of penalties.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
HertsGTFC
October 8, 2021, 4:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Hard to tell really, I guess it depends on how fit he’s kept himself. He can certainly pass the ball but at times last season his work rate was a bit off it and he gave away some really stupid penalties.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
arryarryarry
October 8, 2021, 5:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from moosey_club
Easy target for the boo boys but he didnt have alot around him, looked classy at times, like to play to feet which with some of his counterparts unable to read or control a pass made him look worse than I actually think he was.

Came in at what turned out to be a disastrous time for the club and then suffered a managerial change with a style and approach not suited to his style and fitness levels.

Put him in the right formation with time and space and I think he could be pretty influential

He was cack, hopelessly unfit, contributed sod all, and his tackling was atrocious and gave away at least 2 soft penalties.

But apart from that he was ace
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
lukeo
October 8, 2021, 5:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Forgetting anything off the pitch he's said and done, As a player he'll do well at your level providing he's actually fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
jamesgtfc
October 8, 2021, 5:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Put it this way, as our relegation was confirmed he was posting his theories about weather changing technology on social media.

Doesn't believe in vaccines and has a fear of 5G. I assume part of the reason behind his move to Darlington is because 5G masts haven't been installed there yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
Abdul19
October 8, 2021, 5:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Hopefully he'll do well and it'll be made permanent.

Couldn't care less about his vaccine views.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 8, 2021, 5:52pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +840
Gold Stars: 117
Fingers crossed he performs well for Darlo and they request his services. That way Town can release him from his contract with no further costs to us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
blundellpork
October 8, 2021, 6:58pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Might have the pedigree, but looked to be on the decline last season. Looked consistently off the pace (acknowledge our pre season and training was a farce), but can’t see him being much better with another year chalked up.

Neat and tidy player, but doesn’t appear quick mentally or physically on the pitch.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
Mariner93er
October 8, 2021, 6:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
As others have said, really hard to judge. Don’t think he ever lacked effort or commitment, but just lacked confidence which plagued the whole squad. I have nothing against him, it’s not his fault hurst doesn’t want him, so a loan suits everyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
AndyDarloFC
October 8, 2021, 7:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Well, on paper he looks like he has more than enough experience for this level. Looking forward to see how he gets on tomorrow vs Hereford.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 31
Grantham_Mariner
October 8, 2021, 7:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Well, on paper he looks like he has more than enough experience for this level. Looking forward to see how he gets on tomorrow vs Hereford.

If he does OK I am sure a deal can be done so you keep him.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
fishboyUTM
October 8, 2021, 9:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Think you can over analyse sometimes. He's been excellent against us in the past. I remember watching him run the Swindon midfield at BP three seasons ago. He was playing for a crackpot manager without a clue last season before Hurst came but it was clear to me early on that his legs had gone, he's nearly 34. Another one we signed past their best under the previous regime that delivered nothing but misery and abject failure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
MuddyWaters
October 8, 2021, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Like Waterfall, probably capable of much better than he showed when with us last season. I might be going very soft, but I’m tempted to exonerate most of last season’s squad in that they were playing for a fraud till Christmas.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
Grimal
October 8, 2021, 10:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

If you have a darts team ,yes he could do a good job for you. With the training he had last year he should be fit after all the walking up and down from the oche.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
toontown
October 9, 2021, 8:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,276
Gold Stars: 70
Last season he was mostly ponderous, slow to turn, and panic stricken when run at in the box, but with a very occasional classy pass. His legs have gone and he is most definitely past it BUT may have enough about him to still do a job with you guys, it's 2 levels lower than what we were watching him at.

Needs to be in a midfield 3 though. Passes mostly side ways.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
pontoonlew
October 9, 2021, 10:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
Rose got more stick than most because of his mad views on the world and the fact his pedigree suggests he should’ve been way better than he was.

In terms of ability there were loads of players worse than him and he had 2-3 pretty good games (looked miles better when Matete came in). I’ve no doubt he’d have been better in a better team and if his attitude was right he’d probably be an asset at this level, never mind the one below. But as we all know, Hurst values personalities as much as abilities and he seems like a bit of a excrement house.

Hope he does well and they want him permanently, for all parties sake.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
ginnywings
October 9, 2021, 7:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,120
Gold Stars: 548
Don't know if he played or not but Darlo won.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
Abdul19
October 9, 2021, 7:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Came on for the last 9 minutes.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
Rhys_Mariners
October 9, 2021, 7:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +174
Gold Stars: 4
Came on in the 81st minute
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
Kris2
October 9, 2021, 7:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from pontoonlew
Rose got more stick than most because of his mad views on the world and the fact his pedigree suggests he should’ve been way better than he was.

In terms of ability there were loads of players worse than him and he had 2-3 pretty good games (looked miles better when Matete came in). I’ve no doubt he’d have been better in a better team and if his attitude was right he’d probably be an asset at this level, never mind the one below. But as we all know, Hurst values personalities as much as abilities and he seems like a bit of a excrement house.

Hope he does well and they want him permanently, for all parties sake.

There are probably other players we expected to go who have been kept on by Hurst and done well, the coaches are the ones who see the team all week so probably have a good idea by now of what the squad needs and who works in it. The ones who were either seen as not good enough or troublemakers are out on loan or gone by now except maybe one who seems to be sitting out his contract or nobody wants him. None of the ones who left or went on loan after being told they can go are setting the world on fire; Payne is still regarded as lazy by Chesterfield fans, Gibson failing to impress much at Stourbridge, the only one who seems to be sort of impressing is George Williams at Barrow even if he's been a bit part player with injury issues. Oh I guess Jackson Jr scored on his debut then got sent off in his next game so jury still out.

I think the people we added to the squad have been miles better than the ones Hurst wanted to let go.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
HertsGTFC
October 9, 2021, 8:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Abdul19
Came on for the last 9 minutes.

How long before he gives away a penalty?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
AndyDarloFC
October 11, 2021, 5:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Come on for the last 10 mins or so when we was defending a 1-0 lead, not enough to judge just yet.

Bigger test on Saturday vs Chorley, he should get more game time for that game!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Danny Rose

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.