7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
October 2, 2021, 8:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,879
Gold Stars: 42
Maybe we should use Waterfall as our new striker?  He can’t stop scoring.  (Only joking but not 100%)

Who was the last team to go top of the league after a 6-0 win?

I think we have won all our games OR scored first. Ignore Stockport 0-0.  These are excellent traits.  We just need to hold leads (and not concede first).

We have been establishing a sort of pattern in games of conceding first and winning OR scoring first and drawing or lose no.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
marinerjase
October 2, 2021, 8:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,650
Gold Stars: 147
Think we’ve won after going behind a couple of times have we not?

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
TAGG
October 2, 2021, 8:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,971
Gold Stars: 124
Just back home from work.
Gutted to have missed it, sounded like a fantastic game.
The entertainment at BP is off the charts.
It was the first game for the lad I gave my ST so think he will definitely go again, he loved it.
Well done boys UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
ska face
October 2, 2021, 9:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Incredible what a difference having a few players with a decent touch makes in this league. Taylor, McAtee, Hunt, Fox and Towler all comfortable receiving the ball even today in greasy conditions. Just gives you an extra second here & there, gives people time to move & find space and stops the ball coming straight back to you. Think we only ever had Nolan with as good a touch down here last time, which is why so many games just ended up being a battle especially against teams who just looked to frustrate us.

Also looks like we have players who really enjoy attacking, they really turned the screw in the first half when we might have taken the foot off the gas at 2 or 3 previously. Dover helped by being all over the place defensively, but you still need the invention and quality to deliver a display like the first half and I can’t remember ever seeing one like it. Really enjoyable.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2021, 9:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
So I saw it again today, I've seen it before at BP a bit this season and in other seasons but prior to this season not for a while........players enjoying playing for GTFC and what a difference it makes on and off the pitch.

Far to often I've used the "C word" on this forum but tonight I make no apologies for highlighting the "confidence" that is running through the squad at the moment and that's resulting in some really decent football with the ball in the deck.

I though we started a bit quiet and never got any real possession for the first 15 mins and the turning point for me was when Hunt rather than clearing from the edge of our box dribbled it (remember that) past a couple of their players it kind of said to the rest of the Team this is how we beat this lot, maybe that's me being a bit romantic about a player that has real talent and is destined for bigger things in his career, and boy can he deliver a corner..  

We then went on to score the first and from then on to half time was the best I've seen Town play in ages and the players where rewarded for their endeavour, work rate, tempo and drive. I don't want to sound cocky but based upon that period of the game the half time score probably felt about right. We came out after the break and finished the job professionally, won the second half and with a clean sheet.

I don't like rating players but......

Macca - Relatively easy day and this season to date isn't that busy in reality.
Sears - Good debut and I was surprised how physically strong he looked, defended and use the ball well.
Crookes - Unsung hero, thought he was faultless today.
Towler - Similar to Hunt he's got real [potential and I love how he can play it and hoof it when required.
Waterfall - Magnificent, my MOM, look what happens when a manager trusts & believes in a player.
Hunt - I would love to have him here for the rest of this season, pleasure to watch. I see why the Wednesday fans rave about him.
Fox - Busy, busy, busy. Always wants the ball and always looing to pass it properly.  
Clifton - See point above about Fox I think it's the same for Harry.
Bapaga - Good today, and getting better. took his goal really well and had an influence.
Taylor - He's a good player and a bit of a find, knows the role he's asked to play, loved his finish for his 2nd.
McAtee - I think Dover found him unplayable. after missing a pen some players would have shrunk, not this boy as the finish for his goal proved.      

Subs - Relief to see Erico come on after Tuesday, and as ever he's another that always wants the ball and will work hard to get it. Good to get some game time for the Shop, his time will come.      

So as they say you can only play what's in front of you and Town did that perfectly today in decent style. We look to have some good players at this level and we should all enjoy what was an entertaining win.

UTM!!  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
TheultimateMariner
October 2, 2021, 9:58pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
As I’m sure a lot of people would agree, based on recent performances, I think keeping Hunt and Towler beyond January could be crucial for our season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
Croxton
October 2, 2021, 10:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
My heartfelt apologies to Ryan Sears for suggesting he may not be ready for a start today. He carried out instructions, kept it simple and left attacking to everyone else. He mistimed one or two headers on a windy day but closed down well. Good fitness for his first 90 and praise from his manager. Another good option from the bench or in rotation.

Thought Clifton's energy in attack and Fox's pressing blunted the few moments of threat from Dover. As well as many star performances, the work ethic in Hurt's whole squad is exemplary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 62
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2021, 10:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from TheultimateMariner
As I’m sure a lot of people would agree, based on recent performances, I think keeping Hunt and Towler beyond January could be crucial for our season

100% agree, but based upon his record at spotting talent I'd be confident if they didn't stay that Hurst could bring in similar replacements.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 62
TownSNAFU5
October 2, 2021, 10:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,879
Gold Stars: 42
We now have the best goal difference.  I thought Sousa was going to implode if he did not get the ball as often as he wanted it.

Sorry, meant to add earlier that we have also won some games from a goal down. And scored goals after 90 mins.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 62
toontown
October 2, 2021, 10:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from HertsGTFC

100% agree, but based upon his record at spotting talent I'd be confident if they didn't stay that Hurst could bring in similar replacements.  

Id be surprised if he got two that good to be honest. They really are head and shoulders above this league especially hunt, I think his tempo is irreplaceable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.