This thread currently has 10,653 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 2, 2021, 5:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Missed 2 buses so didn't get into the ground until after 8 minutes after kick-off, I was right peed off.

Was I happy I got there in the end.

Oh yes, UTM.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
DB
October 2, 2021, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,974
Gold Stars: 386
CHAMPIONS, well it's not the end of the season. But it's nice to have that feeling. Who wanted Hurst out and Waterfall sent out on loan, time to eat your words.

Banana skin at Bromley, but you have to appreciate that they play all their home games on a plastic pitch and we don't, neither do many of the teams in this league. 6 goals today and 11 scorers now but some still think we're desperate for a No 9!

And then there is the forgotten army who weren't allowed in for months. Home and away the town fans have been brilliant, not only fortress BP but away from home, they make themselves known to the team. I don't think any team will fancy playing at BP this year.

At last, we don't have a team, we don't have supporters, what we have is something far more important than all of that. What we have after several years of decline is the rise of the club, a phoenix if you like. A club rising from the gutter, showing what can happen when all pull together. 1878, Trust, management, players, and especially the fans all pulling together.

The futures looking good.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 62
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 2, 2021, 5:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
I was on a bus loaded with town fans!

What on earth is going on.

Great atmosphere at the ground, love the fanzone (credit to all involved with it) and a 😀6-0 win. Happy days

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 62
Hagrid
October 2, 2021, 5:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Superb. All there is to say

Be a tough game Tuesday and looking at the forecast i think we’ll be soaked again but cant wait!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 62
Abdul19
October 2, 2021, 5:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Taylor is so good and McAtee's cross for his second was glorious.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 62
BeijingMariner
October 2, 2021, 5:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
That was a great experience. No single player can be singled out for not giving their all in my view, although I could hear a few moans about LJL. In truth of course there were some mistakes, a few stray balls here and there, but this is a squad/team that looks like they think they can play at a higher level than this, so that's what they try and do....and in my view they are not wrong.
I saw Luke Waterfall talking with Alex Hunt before the 6th goal, they planned exactly what was going to happen, and just now on RH he basically said as much. Sousa was electric when he came on, sides don't know what to do with apart from hack him down. I feel for McAttee, that was a decent penalty and a very lucky save, but you could see the joy on his face after scoring. I thought Sears had a really good game, solid..he's not Efete, he doesn't run forward often, but I saw some good passing and communication and a commitment to winning the ball. Towler, Crookes both immense, Fox, brilliant, Taylor, fantastic, Bapaga, great for the lad he got his goal. Wonderful performance, a great victory/bounce-back and a clean sheet. Thank you. UTM
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 62
MuddyWaters
October 2, 2021, 5:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from DB
CHAMPIONS, well it's not the end of the season. But it's nice to have that feeling. Who wanted Hurst out and Waterfall sent out on loan, time to eat your words.

Banana skin at Bromley, but you have to appreciate that they play all their home games on a plastic pitch and we don't, neither do many of the teams in this league. 6 goals today and 11 scorers now but some still think we're desperate for a No 9!

And then there is the forgotten army who weren't allowed in for months. Home and away the town fans have been brilliant, not only fortress BP but away from home, they make themselves known to the team. I don't think any team will fancy playing at BP this year.

At last, we don't have a team, we don't have supporters, what we have is something far more important than all of that. What we have after several years of decline is the rise of the club, a phoenix if you like. A club rising from the gutter, showing what can happen when all pull together. 1878, Trust, management, players, and especially the fans all pulling together.

The futures looking good.

UTM

I’d agree with all of that apart from needing a striker. Lenny isn’t of Taylor’s level and we need a better option off the bench.

For the game itself, hard to pick a stand out but was very impressed with Sears to say he hasn’t even been in a match day squad
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 62
GhostDan
October 2, 2021, 5:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
I'm not eloquent enough to sum up how good the boys were today, the only thing I will say is.. when you've got a striker of Taylor's quality, the game is a hell of a lot easier.

Has to be said, the way Dover set up in the first half was absolute suicide, the wingers has zero interesting defending and the 2 Central Midfielders were non existent. There 2 centre halves and left back looked probably the worst footballers i've ever seen (not including some who've played for us in recent times) but they were left high and dry by the midfield.

UTFM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 62
ginnywings
October 2, 2021, 7:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
First off, credit to Dover for not parking the bus or getting up to the usual tricks some sides adopt, but they were blown away by a far superior side. I'm serious when I say that I could have kept goal for Town today, such was their threat.

So were we magnificent, or were they terrible? Somewhere in between I would suggest and we will have much harder games. From the showing today, Dover would struggle to hold their own in the NLS.

We waltzed through them with such ease and so frequently, that had we kept up the tempo second half, we could have had 10, but we understandably took our foot off the gas second half, coupled with taking off the two who were causing them the most damage.

Hunt's corners are a thing of beauty and Waterfall could get double figures this season if that partnership keep it up. Bapaga had a much better game and became our 11th different scorer this season ( I think anyway, It's hard to keep up) with a smart finish on his weaker foot. They were terrified to go near him.

Good performances all over the pitch and the new lad at right back slotted in seamlessly.

Dover were weak as p1ss but you have to put the bad teams to bed. Two tough away games coming up against sides that are in good form, so let's see how we fare in those.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 62
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 2, 2021, 7:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
When did positivity get you 3 points on a Saturday

Today it did!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 62
jamesgtfc
October 2, 2021, 7:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
In our goalscorers XI, who would be the GK?

When McAtee missed the penalty I thought it was going to be one of those afternoons. Really happy he scored in the manner he did. The cross he made for Taylor was a thing of beauty too.

Sears is an old fashioned full back and he did well. If Sousa scored when he ran the length of the pitch that would have been a brilliant individual goal.

Anyone have money on Waterfall first and last scorer?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
TownSNAFU5
October 2, 2021, 7:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
I was spot on with my forecast of 0-0 today.  Or rather NOT!!   I thought that they would park the bus and that we would struggle to break them down.

Promotion Plaice said above that he missed 2 buses.  These must have been the players and supporters buses that got lost when they should have been parked in front of the Dover goal.

A real pleasure to be there today.   Good times if you a Town fan now.  Great entertainment every game as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 62
RonMariner
October 2, 2021, 7:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
I forecasted 4-0 so was half right!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
jamesgtfc
October 2, 2021, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
I forecasted 4-0 so was half right!

Did you disappear to the toilet early for half time?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
RonMariner
October 2, 2021, 7:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Did you disappear to the toilet early for half time?

Sadly I am an exile, and the first time I checked the score it was 5-0!

Pleased to have got the Dover score correct though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 62
LH
October 2, 2021, 7:38pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,458
Gold Stars: 172
Simply brilliant. I’ve had a smile wider than the estuary on my face since I saw we’d gone outright top. So many good performers but Taylor, McAtee and Hunt stick out. Bapaga takes a while to get comfortable enough to take his man on and seems to me to lack a bit of confidence. Today was a perfect chance to build on both of those and I hope it’s done him some good.

The ‘red’ wasn’t a red to me - Taylor not in possession of the ball and it would have been a certain red if he had been. Two odd decisions though- the McAtee foul that won us a freekick and the ref giving a throw when the lino hadn’t.

Fans + board + staff + players all on the same page = Town top of the league. Keep that in mind going forward.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
fishcake63
October 2, 2021, 7:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
Soaking wet but well worth it , best 45 for not sure how long , mcatee i love watching ,his link play with players around him a joy to watch , why is waterfall playing like a man possesed the turnaround is incredible , take my hat off i questioned if we had goals in our side start of season well we are getting them from everybody utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
Kris2
October 2, 2021, 8:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Can the ref make a poor decision every game please? Been two games now that the fans were angered over a decision involving Taylor and that just seemed to spur the fans to get behind the team and we ended up winning. Bapaga had his best game for us today I think, has looked a bit unsure previously but has shown an ability to move the ball around and win penalties. They absolutely didn't try to tackle him for his goal because he'd already done them twice.

McAtee probably should avoid penalties as his confidence has gone, he rushed that one and got unlucky when he could have taken his time to pick his spot. Apart from that he had another immense game where he was all over everything that was going on. Waterfall once again deadly from corners, Hunt's delivery is so good he can pick anyone out he wants to give them a perfect header with some great accuracy. Rarely seen him get it wrong this season on corners, can't remember the last season we felt dangerous on set pieces.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
Theimperialcoroner
October 2, 2021, 8:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
If we can keep Taylor and Mcatee fit we may well win this bloody league. They are the best partnership we’ve had for years and a joy to watch.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
marinette
October 2, 2021, 8:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
What a team!  I'm not underestimating what they achieved today after a previous week of long, tiring journeys and disappointing results.  We had a key player missing today and today's game could have been a potential banana skin.  Our players, as always, worked as an effective unit and put smiles on our faces once again, and did it with style.

Dover looked as though they might have been up for it towards the beginning, but we extinguished whatever threat they might have had, and made sure it came to nothing.  And then we proceeded to annihilate them.

Impressed with so many players today - all the goal scorers of course, and also Sousa, who looked as exciting as ever when he put in an appearance.  My MOM is going to be Hunt though - he didn't grab any of the headlines or the glory this time, but was very effective in what he did, and worked tirelessly to make things happen.

Fantastic day watching all the goals go in, fantastic feeling to think we're top of the league - about time we had something to smile about.  So far this season we've had plenty to smile about but for me this tops it all.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
TownSNAFU5
October 2, 2021, 8:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Maybe we should use Waterfall as our new striker?  He can’t stop scoring.  (Only joking but not 100%)

Who was the last team to go top of the league after a 6-0 win?

I think we have won all our games OR scored first. Ignore Stockport 0-0.  These are excellent traits.  We just need to hold leads (and not concede first).

We have been establishing a sort of pattern in games of conceding first and winning OR scoring first and drawing or lose no.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
marinerjase
October 2, 2021, 8:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,636
Gold Stars: 147
Think we’ve won after going behind a couple of times have we not?

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
TAGG
October 2, 2021, 8:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Just back home from work.
Gutted to have missed it, sounded like a fantastic game.
The entertainment at BP is off the charts.
It was the first game for the lad I gave my ST so think he will definitely go again, he loved it.
Well done boys UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
ska face
October 2, 2021, 9:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
Incredible what a difference having a few players with a decent touch makes in this league. Taylor, McAtee, Hunt, Fox and Towler all comfortable receiving the ball even today in greasy conditions. Just gives you an extra second here & there, gives people time to move & find space and stops the ball coming straight back to you. Think we only ever had Nolan with as good a touch down here last time, which is why so many games just ended up being a battle especially against teams who just looked to frustrate us.

Also looks like we have players who really enjoy attacking, they really turned the screw in the first half when we might have taken the foot off the gas at 2 or 3 previously. Dover helped by being all over the place defensively, but you still need the invention and quality to deliver a display like the first half and I can’t remember ever seeing one like it. Really enjoyable.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2021, 9:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
So I saw it again today, I've seen it before at BP a bit this season and in other seasons but prior to this season not for a while........players enjoying playing for GTFC and what a difference it makes on and off the pitch.

Far to often I've used the "C word" on this forum but tonight I make no apologies for highlighting the "confidence" that is running through the squad at the moment and that's resulting in some really decent football with the ball in the deck.

I though we started a bit quiet and never got any real possession for the first 15 mins and the turning point for me was when Hunt rather than clearing from the edge of our box dribbled it (remember that) past a couple of their players it kind of said to the rest of the Team this is how we beat this lot, maybe that's me being a bit romantic about a player that has real talent and is destined for bigger things in his career, and boy can he deliver a corner..  

We then went on to score the first and from then on to half time was the best I've seen Town play in ages and the players where rewarded for their endeavour, work rate, tempo and drive. I don't want to sound cocky but based upon that period of the game the half time score probably felt about right. We came out after the break and finished the job professionally, won the second half and with a clean sheet.

I don't like rating players but......

Macca - Relatively easy day and this season to date isn't that busy in reality.
Sears - Good debut and I was surprised how physically strong he looked, defended and use the ball well.
Crookes - Unsung hero, thought he was faultless today.
Towler - Similar to Hunt he's got real [potential and I love how he can play it and hoof it when required.
Waterfall - Magnificent, my MOM, look what happens when a manager trusts & believes in a player.
Hunt - I would love to have him here for the rest of this season, pleasure to watch. I see why the Wednesday fans rave about him.
Fox - Busy, busy, busy. Always wants the ball and always looing to pass it properly.  
Clifton - See point above about Fox I think it's the same for Harry.
Bapaga - Good today, and getting better. took his goal really well and had an influence.
Taylor - He's a good player and a bit of a find, knows the role he's asked to play, loved his finish for his 2nd.
McAtee - I think Dover found him unplayable. after missing a pen some players would have shrunk, not this boy as the finish for his goal proved.      

Subs - Relief to see Erico come on after Tuesday, and as ever he's another that always wants the ball and will work hard to get it. Good to get some game time for the Shop, his time will come.      

So as they say you can only play what's in front of you and Town did that perfectly today in decent style. We look to have some good players at this level and we should all enjoy what was an entertaining win.

UTM!!  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
TheultimateMariner
October 2, 2021, 9:58pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
As I’m sure a lot of people would agree, based on recent performances, I think keeping Hunt and Towler beyond January could be crucial for our season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
Croxton
October 2, 2021, 10:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
My heartfelt apologies to Ryan Sears for suggesting he may not be ready for a start today. He carried out instructions, kept it simple and left attacking to everyone else. He mistimed one or two headers on a windy day but closed down well. Good fitness for his first 90 and praise from his manager. Another good option from the bench or in rotation.

Thought Clifton's energy in attack and Fox's pressing blunted the few moments of threat from Dover. As well as many star performances, the work ethic in Hurt's whole squad is exemplary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 62
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2021, 10:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TheultimateMariner
As I’m sure a lot of people would agree, based on recent performances, I think keeping Hunt and Towler beyond January could be crucial for our season

100% agree, but based upon his record at spotting talent I'd be confident if they didn't stay that Hurst could bring in similar replacements.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 62
TownSNAFU5
October 2, 2021, 10:29pm
Vodka Drinker
We now have the best goal difference.  I thought Sousa was going to implode if he did not get the ball as often as he wanted it.

Sorry, meant to add earlier that we have also won some games from a goal down. And scored goals after 90 mins.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 62
toontown
October 2, 2021, 10:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from HertsGTFC

100% agree, but based upon his record at spotting talent I'd be confident if they didn't stay that Hurst could bring in similar replacements.  

Id be surprised if he got two that good to be honest. They really are head and shoulders above this league especially hunt, I think his tempo is irreplaceable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 62
sydney
October 2, 2021, 10:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Great Performance and result today
Can’t remember when we last topped a league
Happy 👍👍
But, Dover are a struggling team
Tuesday will be a test like the Bromley Game
Come on Town let’s get a result Tuesday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
toontown
October 2, 2021, 10:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Just to echo everyone else, wow - what a stunning performance after an initially shaky first few minutes. I think Dover looked at this game and thought well we don't expect to get anything from it anyway so let's go for a win and fair play to them. The first minute sof the game were quite open really although they didn't creat any actual shots they did have possession and pressure. Once the ref had very very dubiously refused the red card for the blatant last man pull back on taylor it was relentless, totally ignited the team and crowd and Dover were simply smashed aside. Does the goal difference and confidence plenty of good. Don't think many other teams will decide to 'have a go' at us at home from now on, they'll be trying to park 2 buses!

There was a couple of moments in the first half when we were 4-0 up that reminded me ofvthe charity game earlier this season when the younger players were about 5 - 0 and started to only try and score spectacular goals. The ball was just being played about so lovely in the box and it was like were only going to bother scoring if we put together 27 passes first lol.

So many good performances today, up and down the team, possibly the quietest macca has ever been, was it one cross to catch? You could give motm to loads of players but I will plump for taylor.  What a head of steam we've built up here - see you at Altrincham!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
TinklerMan
October 2, 2021, 10:53pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +168
Gold Stars: 10
Got to say that I had the jitters for the first 10 or 15 mins as Dover looked a real threat and surprised me.

Once we settled down though we were brilliant.

Check me out, I've now been to four Town games and I saying "we"  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
Poojah
October 2, 2021, 10:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from toontown

Id be surprised if he got two that good to be honest. They really are head and shoulders above this league especially hunt, I think his tempo is irreplaceable.

Not to mention his dead ball skills. Think back to his last minute free kick against Barnet, his corner for the second goal against Wrexham, his corner for the opener against Eastleigh (in a half when we’d struggled to properly get going), and his corner for Waterfall’s goals today (the first was pivotal in killing their spirit).

Without those contributions, we might have a lot less points on the board and a lot less momentum than we have right now. I’d argue he’s had Conor Townsend levels of influence on our results and he’s absolutely key to our chances this season.

We need to keep him for the season at any cost.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2021, 11:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Not to mention his dead ball skills. Think back to his last minute free kick against Barnet, his corner for the second goal against Wrexham, his corner for the opener against Eastleigh (in a half when we’d struggled to properly get going), and his corner for Waterfall’s goals today (the first was pivotal in killing their spirit).

Without those contributions, we might have a lot less points on the board and a lot less momentum than we have right now. I’d argue he’s had Conor Townsend levels of influence on our results and he’s absolutely key to our chances this season.

We need to keep him for the season at any cost.

We need Wednesday to start climbing League 1 quickly so they won’t feel the need to call him back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
DB
October 3, 2021, 3:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,974
Gold Stars: 386
Looks like the BBC reporter from PA  media was watching a different match!!!

'Grimsby had a penalty in the 23rd minute after a foul by Dover goalkeeper Adam Parkes, but Will Bapaga's shot was saved'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58688136

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
TheultimateMariner
October 3, 2021, 6:32am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I agree with that 100%, however its not everyday you find talent like that. I do have a feeling though if we’re still near the top come December, Hurst could use that as bargaining power with the parent clubs, as I’m sure a promotion would give the young lads a hell of a lot of confidence.
My only problem is that Sheff Wed are currently struggling, and may think Hunt is the answer to their problems.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
aldi_01
October 3, 2021, 7:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think another example of Hunt’s ability was the back pass to Macca he played on the volley but simply took all the power out the ball and just casually sent it back…was excellent.

Another shout out has to go to Crookes, seems to get better every game…

A good day all round, Dover we’re probably terrible but I think our performance made them worse which can only be a good thing…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
easypeersy
October 3, 2021, 7:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Bapaga came good today!
Well done lad you thoroughly deserved man of the match  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
Les Brechin
October 3, 2021, 11:21am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from ska face
Incredible what a difference having a few players with a decent touch makes in this league. Taylor, McAtee, Hunt, Fox and Towler all comfortable receiving the ball even today in greasy conditions. Just gives you an extra second here & there, gives people time to move & find space and stops the ball coming straight back to you. Think we only ever had Nolan with as good a touch down here last time, which is why so many games just ended up being a battle especially against teams who just looked to frustrate us.

Also looks like we have players who really enjoy attacking, they really turned the screw in the first half when we might have taken the foot off the gas at 2 or 3 previously. Dover helped by being all over the place defensively, but you still need the invention and quality to deliver a display like the first half and I can’t remember ever seeing one like it. Really enjoyable.

There was one time in the second half where a high ball came into Towler. He just took it down on his chest, side stepped an approaching Dover player and just calmly laid the ball off to Waterfall.

At this level that was quality. The lad oozes class and I hope we can keep him after January.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
Hagrid
October 3, 2021, 11:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
His family were there yesterday in the Upper. I think he’s an excellent player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
Poojah
October 3, 2021, 11:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
It’s easy to forget how young that side was yesterday. Sears 22, Towler 19, Crookes 23, Hunt 21, Fox 23, Clifton 23, Bapaga 18, McAtee 22.

Only 3 out of the starting 11 over the age of 23. Even taking into account the other three players were all 30+, the average age was still only 24.3. Remarkable.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
HertsGTFC
October 3, 2021, 12:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
It’s easy to forget how young that side was yesterday. Sears 22, Towler 19, Crookes 23, Hunt 21, Fox 23, Clifton 23, Bapaga 18, McAtee 22.

Only 3 out of the starting 11 over the age of 23. Even taking into account the other three players were all 30+, the average age was still only 24.3. Remarkable.

The blend between the energy younger players and the experience of the likes of Macca, Waterfall, Fox, Coke’ LJL, Taylor etc.. is a testimony to PH know how I reckon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
Davec
October 3, 2021, 12:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Quoted from Les Brechin

There was one time in the second half where a high ball came into Towler. He just took it down on his chest, side stepped an approaching Dover player and just calmly laid the ball off to Waterfall.

At this level that was quality. The lad oozes class and I hope we can keep him after January.

he did that aginst Maidenhead also, you can clearly see he will play at a higher level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
NorthseaMariner
October 3, 2021, 12:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,515
Gold Stars: 11
It’s an absolute pleasure to watch the team at the moment. Not just the winning of games, but how they win them. 😎😎
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
rancido
October 3, 2021, 1:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Les Brechin

IMO I think he has more potential than Ryan Bennett did. He certainly seems more comfortable and confident in bringing a ball out of defence but also knows when to just clear it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
fishcake63
October 3, 2021, 5:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
Think towlor will play for bristol city sooner rather than later oozes class think he enjoying playing nxt to waterfall , i'v not mentioned alex hunt much but think he makes us tick , never shy of taking the ball in tight areas what a player no wonder sheff wednesday fans call him iniesta , not going to worry about losing these 2 just enjoy them while we have them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
Les Brechin
October 3, 2021, 5:28pm

Quoted from fishcake63
Think towlor will play for bristol city sooner rather than later oozes class think he enjoying playing nxt to waterfall , i'v not mentioned alex hunt much but think he makes us tick , never shy of taking the ball in tight areas what a player no wonder sheff wednesday fans call him iniesta , not going to worry about losing these 2 just enjoy them while we have them

He's certainly the best corner taker we've had for a long time.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
NorthLondonMariner
October 3, 2021, 5:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Almost missed the game coz I got stuck in hull but managed to escape and got to my seat just as we missed the peno. Had £2 on us winning 5-0 and £2 on us winning 7-0. Spent the first 23 mins of the 2nd half trying to connect to the William hill app to cash out the 5-0, finally managed after 68 mins, then 2 mins later we got our 6th. Cashed out the 7-0 for £60 10 mins later.. Great game, and a bonus £120 in my bank account that I almost gave up on after 20 million "can not connect to app" messages. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
AussieMariner
October 3, 2021, 5:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Looking forward to the highlights of this one - some early candidates for goal of the month
Taylor’s goal on half time looked a bit special
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
MarinerRob
October 3, 2021, 7:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from AussieMariner
Looking forward to the highlights of this one - some early candidates for goal of the month
Taylor’s goal on half time looked a bit special

I missed that goal. With my wife being very wary of Covid she is not keen on me going so I said I would not use the loos during half time and would wear a mask. I left my seat at 44 minutes and as I walk along the front Town scored their fourth. Very happy to go into half time at 4-0. When I was coming out from the loos I was told I missed the goal - and I thought - no I didn't. But when I got back to my seat I was told it was 5-0. I thought I was being wound up - even when I saw the score board. Very strange feeling. So I will be looking forward to seeing that goal, and the rest,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
jamesgtfc
October 3, 2021, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerRob

I missed that goal. With my wife being very wary of Covid she is not keen on me going so I said I would not use the loos during half time and would wear a mask. I left my seat at 44 minutes and as I walk along the front Town scored their fourth. Very happy to go into half time at 4-0. When I was coming out from the loos I was told I missed the goal - and I thought - no I didn't. But when I got back to my seat I was told it was 5-0. I thought I was being wound up - even when I saw the score board. Very strange feeling. So I will be looking forward to seeing that goal, and the rest,

Not sure why someone feels the need to red cross that!

That 5th goal was a weird one because it was quite literally the last kick of the half. Dover didn't even take the kick off. The only confirmation I had that it was a goal was that the players walked off happy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
MarinerRob
October 3, 2021, 7:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I wondered that. But maybe he (or she) felt I should not have left my seat until the whistle blew, which is what I always used to pre-covid. But my wife is scared stiff of Covid and to put her mind at ease (a little) I will do all I can to ensure I stay safe as possible from it. And that includes not being packed into the loos at half time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
ginnywings
October 3, 2021, 8:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MarinerRob

There were plenty who missed the 4th as well as the 5th.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
MarinerWY
October 3, 2021, 8:17pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,985
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from MarinerRob

I wondered that. But maybe he (or she) felt I should not have left my seat until the whistle blew, which is what I always used to pre-covid. But my wife is scared stiff of Covid and to put her mind at ease (a little) I will do all I can to ensure I stay safe as possible from it. And that includes not being packed into the loos at half time.

Completely understandable mate. We've all got different levels of caution around Covid and people would do well to respect those that are wary around stuff.

Personally I'm young(ish), healthy, double vaxxed and take 2 tests a week so am not at all worried for me, but I am conscious that for some folk any part of that may not be the case so try to act accordingly.

Unless I'm jumping around in a crowd at a gig, cos I sort-of think if someone is nervous, they aren't going to be at the front in the thick of it.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
jamesgtfc
October 3, 2021, 8:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerRob

Maybe try going to the toilet at the start of the second half next time.

Seriously though, you're doing what you feel you have to do to keep you and yours safe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
MarinerRob
October 3, 2021, 8:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

There were plenty who missed the 4th as well as the 5th.

I was very fortunate to have seen that. If I had left for the loos 30 seconds earlier I would have missed it,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
NorthLondonMariner
October 3, 2021, 8:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Most likely our resident scunt troll, who has been hiding under his rock so far this season, occasionally popping up for air and red crosses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
The Yard Dog
October 3, 2021, 9:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
I cannot attend at the moment, waiting for a operation on my ear, got my pre-assessment on the 18th Oct at Castle Hill, operation in early November. I cannot risk getting a positive test for Covid.

Missing not being at BP, I normally look after the Press Room on matchdays.

So replying BT sports highlights to get my fix.

Hopefully I will be back soon.

Good see BP buzzing again, back in the day had to get to BP early to get my standing spot in the Pontoon behind the goal.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
quebec38
October 4, 2021, 10:42am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,576
Gold Stars: 48
If anyone else recognised the ref but couldn’t remember why… he was the idiot in charge against Mansfield 2 years ago. He had a howler that day. Threatened to do it on Saturday too - definite sending off for me early on.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
Les Brechin
October 4, 2021, 12:28pm

Quoted from quebec38
If anyone else recognised the ref but couldn’t remember why… he was the idiot in charge against Mansfield 2 years ago. He had a howler that day. Threatened to do it on Saturday too - definite sending off for me early on.

In a way, maybe that did us a favour, If Dover had gone down to 10 men they would have put every man behind the ball to try and nick a draw, although their defending at times was that poor, we'd no doubt still have scored.

I was quite surprised in the first 10 minutes that they were actually trying to play some football, rather that parking the bus, which if they'd gone down to 10 I'm sure they would have done.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 62
denni266
October 4, 2021, 1:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
I think there plan was to try and sneek a goal then park the bus
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 62
Maringer
October 4, 2021, 1:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Dover were actually passing it around very tidily in the early stages, before we got a foothold in the game. Their No. 22 looked pretty useful and we couldn't get the ball off him when he was in possession. Luckily, they had absolutely nothing up front and, though we couldn't get the ball off him, their No. 22 didn't do anything effective when he had the ball.

Very unusual to see a struggling team play like that, not least because of the acres of space they left in midfield and at the back. I'm surprised they've not had a drubbing before now and you always felt we could have bagged a few more if we'd wanted to go all out in the second half. No complaints, though. No need to risk injury when you've got the result well and truly in the bag. I think the starting midfield 3 look to be our strongest partnership so I hope they can stay fit to start most of the games together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 62
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.