4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
DB
September 22, 2021, 2:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Enjoy the good times while we can, but expect a banana skin sometime in the future. Many slated the players after the preseason game at Chesterfield, but wow haven't they all done well.

The money spenders buy names and hope they do well. What we have are players who are gelling into a good team with good team spirit. They are working for each other, without the greed factor which big names have as they have to prove their worth.

Wrexham, Stockport, etc. may spend big again but Sutton didn't, nor did Harrogate the year before. Then we have our star man for home games, the 12th man. The FANS are back big time and the players know it and want to perform and win for us.

I'm always optimistic and positive and of course, we're going up preferably as champions.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
Grantham_Mariner
September 22, 2021, 3:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Less games (Teams) this season so 90 should be enough.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
GhostDan
September 22, 2021, 3:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Players aside, for what it's worth.. I think we have the best Manager in the league  (i'd argue one of the best in League 2 aswell, i'll take the red crosses)  and that can't be underestimated.

Wrexham have spent a fortune but they still have Phil Parkinson as Manager..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
diehardmariner
September 22, 2021, 3:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Poojah

The atmosphere went up a notch too, it was very noticeable. I can't actually think of many times when a player coming off the bench has lifted the place in such a tangible way. Reddy coming on against Lincoln in the play-offs is the only one I can really think of, but it's rare you get that kind of reaction not only from the fans but from the players too.

Last one I can remember was Jamie Devitt for his second appearance when he was on loan here in 2013.  

Genuine buzz around the ground as he warmed up and started to get ready to come on.  Burst onto the pitch with a bundle of energy, picked up a loose ball about 30 yards out and pulled his trusty left peg back as the crowd held a collective breath....as high as it was wide, which was very wide.

Ah well.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
jamesgtfc
September 22, 2021, 3:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner

Last one I can remember was Jamie Devitt for his second appearance when he was on loan here in 2013.  

Genuine buzz around the ground as he warmed up and started to get ready to come on.  Burst onto the pitch with a bundle of energy, picked up a loose ball about 30 yards out and pulled his trusty left peg back as the crowd held a collective breath....as high as it was wide, which was very wide.

Ah well.

He wasn't anything like the player we had 3 years earlier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
Poojah
September 22, 2021, 4:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,485
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from diehardmariner

Ah well.

Yep, I do remember that. Against Hereford just after New Year I seem to recall.

He was indeed not the same player on his return and he never really lived up to the hype, although he was returning from a lengthy injury and I seem to remember that it turned out he had glandular fever for much of his time here.

Regardless, based on his first spell I fully expected him to make it at least a level or two higher than League Two, which has sadly never happened for the lad.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Extrapolation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.