Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fishy sponsor a player next season?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 251 Guests

Fishy sponsor a player next season?

This thread currently has 39,393 views. Print
40 Pages Prev ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
October 28, 2021, 10:45am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Condolences to you and the family pal, feel for you all as I lost my old boy recently too...

I've already passed on my condolences to WBJS in a PM. I didn't think it my place to mention the exact details of why he could attend though.

I did say to him, and this will be of no consolation now, but just remember the good times, as I'm sure there will be many. I lost my Dad to Leukemia (which was a death sentence back in the late '60's) when I was only 3 years old, so apart from a few old black & white photos, I have no real memory of him.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 360 - 394
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 28, 2021, 6:00pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 117
Thankyou for your messages. He was in his 90s which was a very good age for our family but he went sooner was expected.
The reason I pulled out was, ironically, because of his links to GTFC and Blundell Park. He was personally scouted by the late great Bill Shankly when he played for the YMCA team. He signed for GTFC but because his boss at his company flatly refused him time off to play on a Saturday, he never got to play for the first team. We later found out that his boss was a staunch Scunny fan. He made several appearances for the 2nd team and played in a few triallist matches to make up the numbers.
Because he never played for the first team there has never been any mention of him in any of the books about GTFC over the years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 361 - 394
Brazilnut
October 28, 2021, 6:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Thankyou for your messages. He was in his 90s which was a very good age for our family but he went sooner was expected.
The reason I pulled out was, ironically, because of his links to GTFC and Blundell Park. He was personally scouted by the late great Bill Shankly when he played for the YMCA team. He signed for GTFC but because his boss at his company flatly refused him time off to play on a Saturday, he never got to play for the first team. We later found out that his boss was a staunch Scunny fan. He made several appearances for the 2nd team and played in a few triallist matches to make up the numbers.
Because he never played for the first team there has never been any mention of him in any of the books about GTFC over the years.

wow ....fascinating family story  

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 362 - 394
wuffing
October 28, 2021, 6:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38

Condolences to you WBJ. And his boss was a minger; may his soul rest in non-league!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 363 - 394
It Bites
October 28, 2021, 6:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,183
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from Les Brechin

I've already passed on my condolences to WBJS in a PM. I didn't think it my place to mention the exact details of why he could attend though.

I did say to him, and this will be of no consolation now, but just remember the good times, as I'm sure there will be many. I lost my Dad to Leukemia (which was a death sentence back in the late '60's) when I was only 3 years old, so apart from a few old black & white photos, I have no real memory of him.

This actually bought a tear to my eye . As did WBJS post . You just never know what people are going through or have gone through in their lives . 😥
Private Message
Reply: 364 - 394
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 28, 2021, 10:39pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Brazilnut

wow ....fascinating family story  

You wouldn't believe how often he told the story, even when he met strangers. He was very proud of that time of his life, as well he should be. Shankly only signed a handful of players in his 2 years here.

But just 2 years later he had to have cartlidge removed from both knees which stopped him playing football completely.

As far as we are concerned there has never been a bigger 'What if...' scenario.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 365 - 394
Les Brechin
October 29, 2021, 7:25am

You wouldn't believe how often he told the story, even when he met strangers. He was very proud of that time of his life, as well he should be. Shankly only signed a handful of players in his 2 years here.

But just 2 years later he had to have cartlidge removed from both knees which stopped him playing football completely.

That's what I often think too, if my Dad hadn't died when he did.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 366 - 394
Brazilnut
October 29, 2021, 9:13am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30

what happened to his knees ...was that football ...work  or his Scunny loving boss

Sorry if too painful at present to talk about

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 367 - 394
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 29, 2021, 5:19pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Brazilnut

what happened to his knees ...was that football ...work  or his Scunny loving boss

Sorry if too painful at present to talk about

No I'm fine. Its been something that seems to have plagued male members of the family. His dad had problems, and I have aches and pains in mine. He was very sporty in his younger days so was probably just wear and tear brought on early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 368 - 394
Les Brechin
October 30, 2021, 9:18pm

Well, Aussie Mariner, Lukeo and myself were presented with the 2 shirts before the game today. As asked for, both shirts have been signed by the full squad (there are 26 signatures on each shirt).

Highlight of the afternoon was Aussie Mariner nutmegging Shaun Pearson on the pitch.  

Sometime tomorrow I will get pictures of the shirts and post them on here and we can then sell them on Ebay to raise funds for the YDA. I've never sold anything on Ebay before but I'm sure it wont be too hard to start to.

Thanks to Aussie Mariner for the pre-match pint too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 369 - 394
40 Pages Prev ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fishy sponsor a player next season?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.