ex-merseymariner
May 20, 2021, 12:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from cannylad68
I think you will find that it was Ian Holloway who first played Hewitt at centre back..

Hewitt was announced as a versatile midfielder right back and centre back when he signed.
So Holloway wasnt the first manager to play him there.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
mimma
May 20, 2021, 12:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
He looked good playing alongside Mayenese. Maybe that's why he's jumped at the chance to play alongside him at Mansfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 86
rancido
May 20, 2021, 1:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,619
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Poojah

If I win my bet, I will spend it all on a very cheap and nasty hooker.

For £20 she will be very cheap and decidedly nasty. You can't even get anything decent for that money in Pataya or Bulgaria - allegedly I hasten to add!!! 😉

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
forza ivano
May 20, 2021, 3:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,276
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from ska face

Sorry but this is an absolutely mental, revisionist take which doesn’t seem to be grounded in any reality I’ve experienced. A cut above most L2 centre halves? I think we probably managed, at best, 3 clean sheets with him in the middle of the back 4 in nearly half a season.

As for versatility, the bloke lived off the back of 1 (one) half decent shift away at Scunthorpe in centre mid and he spent most of that game on his árse from what I can remember.

He was better than what came before him this season, but this sudden elevation of the bloke to the next Franco Baresi is unbelievable.  

bit unfair - nobody saying he is Baresi. fwiw i agree with tony, he looked like one of the better centre halves in the division in those last 3 months
Certainly Mansfield have got themselves an excellent, ready made partnership for absolute peanuts

What's frustrating for me is that we, even with that flawed team, ended the season with mid table form , and the consensus of opinion seems to be that the top NL teams rank with mid table Div 2.
We finished with a keeper who will be amongst the best in NL, a centre back partnership which would pisss non league, a central midfield who would probably be about the best in the division , plus 2 steady, decent enough full backs and Clifton who was showing the form of his life. . Three or four good offensive signings and you're looking at a really strong NL outfit.

Now we have McKeown and Clifton left, so need to completely rebuild and he requires a dozen top, top NL standard signings , and the need to build the team and team spirit from scratch

no blame attached, that's the way it is, but it's still pretty frustrating
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
Posh Harry
May 20, 2021, 3:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,371
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from rancido

For £20 she will be very cheap and decidedly nasty. You can't even get anything decent for that money in Pataya or Bulgaria - allegedly I hasten to add!!! 😉

Blimey. Prices must have gone up since my last trip to Hamburg in 1990 (also allegedly of course) 😇
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 86
diehardmariner
May 20, 2021, 3:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
For the slating of him at right-back and in midfield, it could be that it's not really his position but rather he just gets asked to do a job there a lot.

I'm sure the argument is that professional managers would pick up his best position but the list of managers he's worked under isn't exactly stellar.

Regardless, in the heart of a defence he was impressive and if he's signing in that position for Mansfield they've made a good addition.  I think Mansfield away he was outstanding and the Mansfield commentators kept singling him out.  Wonder if that was where Clough noted him.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
RonMariner
May 20, 2021, 3:33pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,804
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from rancido

That Channel 4 documentary about the Scunthorpe sink estates (I think it was called Skint) suggested the going rate was £10 all in. But that was about  four years ago. It probably at least £11 now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
Theimperialcoroner
May 20, 2021, 3:48pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,259
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Poojah

What? Twice?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
fishcake63
May 20, 2021, 5:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from mimma
He looked good playing alongside Mayenese. Maybe that's why he's jumped at the chance to play alongside him at Mansfield.

He will play alongside farand rawson who nigel clough plays every game , menayese will never be a regular under clough he clearly doesn't rate him & i think he's back up at best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
DB
May 20, 2021, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Poojah

You might get one for free from Hull KR or Hull FC

and then you can give your winnings to the disabled supporters fund.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hewitt Not Staying

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.