Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 19, 2021, 3:32pm
Official site says he has turned down our contract offer :o
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 19, 2021, 3:35pm; Reply: 1
As usual we are unable to keep hold of one of our best players at the end of a season.
Posted by: fishcake63, May 19, 2021, 3:36pm; Reply: 2
Who thought he was not going to stay in efl
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 19, 2021, 3:38pm; Reply: 3
That's a bloody shame!

However, Hurst has a great record here at bringing good centre-backs in.  Pearson, Toto, Miller, Gowling, Meyanese.....
No reason to think he won't continue that.
Posted by: golfer, May 19, 2021, 3:40pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Official site says he has turned down our contract offer :o

Fcuck
Posted by: Hagrid, May 19, 2021, 3:44pm; Reply: 5
As usual we are unable to keep hold of one of our best players at the end of a season.

foolish comment, he's got a football league club, we are non league, not a lot we can do

wish Elliot all the best, superb at CB
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 19, 2021, 3:44pm; Reply: 6
If we hadn’t seen him perform as a centre back I doubt too many fans would be upset by his departure but he’s proved a reliable performer in that position and his versatility will make him attractive to current league clubs.

Shame as I would’ve been happy for him to stay and Captain the side but not surprised by his decision and it demonstrates that there is a stigma associated in playing for a non league side.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 19, 2021, 3:46pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Hagrid

foolish comment, he's got a football league club, we are non league, not a lot we can do

Salford/Fleetwod/FGR were non league clubs but had few issues attracting league level players!
Money talks
Posted by: Bignic69, May 19, 2021, 3:47pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
If we hadn’t seen him perform as a centre back I doubt too many fans would be upset by his departure but he’s proved a reliable performer in that position and his versatility will make him attractive to current league clubs.

Shame as I would’ve been happy for him to stay and Captain the side but not surprised by his decision and it demonstrates that there is a stigma associated in playing for a non league side.

Was thinking the same, until he went to centre back i wouldn't have been arsed about losing him.
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 19, 2021, 3:48pm; Reply: 9
Disappointing but unexpected. He's done well enough to justify getting another contract in the league, hopefully wherever he goes he'll be used at centre back as it's his best position by far. Good luck to him.
Posted by: Heisenberg, May 19, 2021, 3:48pm; Reply: 10
I’m going to assume it’s scunny.
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 19, 2021, 3:49pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from diehardmariner
That's a bloody shame!

However, Hurst has a great record here at bringing good centre-backs in.  Pearson, Toto, Miller, Gowling, Meyanese.....
No reason to think he won't continue that.

Pond too. Miller was quality. Underrated, in my opinion. After Pond, the best CB we had in the Conference for me.
Posted by: Sandford1981, May 19, 2021, 3:50pm; Reply: 12
Another in a long line we’ll barely remember in a few years time. Mildly disappointed as I thought he was decent, especially at centre back and I wish him well but, it’s not the end of the world. We move on!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 19, 2021, 3:55pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Heisenberg

I have a feeling that you won't be far out with that
Posted by: Sigone, May 19, 2021, 3:56pm; Reply: 14
I'm gonna put a bet on whoever he joins gets relegated, not cos he's bad, just think he's jinxed.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 19, 2021, 3:58pm; Reply: 15

Wow!
Posted by: Oly1987, May 19, 2021, 3:58pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Sigone
I'm gonna put a bet on whoever he joins gets relegated, not cos he's bad, just think he's jinxed.

Looks like it could be Scunny probably a bet worth taking/hoping for.
Posted by: carrot top, May 19, 2021, 3:59pm; Reply: 17
He did ok I suppose but not too disappointed in him leaving. I am more concerned who we can attract here, if we can't a hold on to someone of his standard
Posted by: acko338, May 19, 2021, 4:00pm; Reply: 18
Good luck to him for next season, whoever he joins.

Did well in a struggling side - would he have stayed if we hadn't gone down?

In the EFL, can't come back to haunt us unless in a cup competition.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 19, 2021, 4:00pm; Reply: 19
Shame, but Hurst will have a backfill.  
Posted by: forza ivano, May 19, 2021, 4:01pm; Reply: 20
what about Mansfield? resumes his partnership with Menayese and they pay good money, rather than Scunny who are cutting wages quicker than Fenty  
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, May 19, 2021, 4:02pm; Reply: 21
Not surprised, but if he’s not totally committed to town and trying to get into the league it’s best for all parties. Goodbye and thank you
Posted by: Kris2, May 19, 2021, 4:07pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Sigone

So Scunthorpe Or Colchester then who will probably go down next season with or without his help.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 19, 2021, 4:07pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Heisenberg

He’s heading to Greater Manchester...
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), May 19, 2021, 4:11pm; Reply: 24
I hope for his sake it isn't Scunny. Red flags all over the place. They're going to be nailed on for relegation.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 19, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 25
Think we'll see Hendrie go next, reckon Bradford may go for him.
I'm thinking Scunny will be Hewitt's destination.
I'll be more gutted if Coke doesn't sign tbh, it'll feel like we've been kicked in the man spheres again in the same way Billy Clarke used us.
Posted by: Tommy, May 19, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 26
Can't blame him can we.

If you'd have asked me at xmas, I would have said I'd release him this summer, because I don't particularly rate him as a right back, and definitely not as a midfielder.

But at centre-back he was really impressive.

As DHM points out though, Hurst knows how to build a defence so it wouldn't surprise me if we end up with better than Hewitt (who whilst he ended the season playing well, its still only a 3 month spell of form).
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 19, 2021, 4:24pm; Reply: 27
Short career and the butt of much criticism until he moved to CB. Reality is that he's a League footballer at CB but not anywhere else - not unexpected.
Posted by: Mayaman, May 19, 2021, 4:26pm; Reply: 28
Good luck to him.  He put a shift in during the run in.  
Posted by: chipsandgravy, May 19, 2021, 4:41pm; Reply: 29

Salford/Fleetwod/FGR were non league clubs but had few issues attracting league level players!
Money talks

Yes and they were all "on the way up". We have a long way to go at the moment to convince players that we are! One player decides to stay in the league and the criticism of the club starts. I am pretty sure that come the start of the season we will have "league players" of our own.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 19, 2021, 4:49pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from GollyGTFC

think that's Hendrie, Golly. Hewitt is Notts based isn't he?
Posted by: Rick12, May 19, 2021, 4:50pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Hagrid

Yes football is a short career. I dont blame him at all.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 19, 2021, 5:14pm; Reply: 32
If Hurst really wanted him he would have made him a better offer.

There are obviously others in his mind.
Posted by: GhostDan, May 19, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 33
Ah that’s disappointing he’s leaving but can’t blame him.  definitely one of the few bright sparks amongst the chaos.  Ironically if we hadn’t permanently moved him to CB he’d probably have been released and playing midfield in the Conference North next season.

As a few have said, out the 3, I really hope we keep Coke - seems a real leader.
Posted by: ska face, May 19, 2021, 5:26pm; Reply: 34
After looking at the league table again, I couldn’t care less if none of the 20/21 squad ever play for the club again. Certainly not shedding any tears over Jonah Hewitt.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 19, 2021, 6:06pm; Reply: 35
So signed for Mansfield

https://twitter.com/mansfieldtownfc/status/1395061691658952705?s=12

Guess Clough liked the look of him & Menayese together
Posted by: moosey_club, May 19, 2021, 6:10pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Mayaman
Good luck to him.  He put a shift in during the run in.  

The run in to the end of his contract do you mean ? 😉
Posted by: DB, May 19, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 37
Good luck to him, he did a reasonable job for us and looks like he might be paired up with Menayese again. What we want are players who want to play Town and get us promoted.

I'm sure Hurst was not optimistic he would resign and will have others in mind for that position. We just have to be patient and wait. It's still early days and the NL hasn't finished yet.

What we do know is that Hurst knows how to build a team, a team with a spirit that plays for each other.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 19, 2021, 6:36pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
So signed for Mansfield

Relegation battle next season then ....... no surprises move on !
Posted by: fishcake63, May 19, 2021, 6:43pm; Reply: 39
Listen apart from last 12 games at centre back over a two yr contract he been shocking , midfield abysmal right back even worse good luck to the lad but his last two clubs have both ended up national lge clubs let's hope he can make it a hat trick
Posted by: ginnywings, May 19, 2021, 6:47pm; Reply: 40
Bye then.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 19, 2021, 6:47pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
So signed for Mansfield

Lol versatile my bottom he's excrement in more than one position with the exception of centre back! Hopefully this means Menayese is surplus to requirements and we can make a swoop.
Posted by: livosnose, May 19, 2021, 7:04pm; Reply: 42
Menayese will come because he got his car back !
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 19, 2021, 7:35pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from fishcake63
Listen apart from last 12 games at centre back over a two yr contract he been shocking , midfield abysmal right back even worse good luck to the lad but his last two clubs have both ended up national lge clubs let's hope he can make it a hat trick

He was an enigma wrapped up in something or other.

Absolute cack at right-back, and even worse in midfield, or the other way round.

I would like to know how all the managers he has had, all the coaches at various clubs, did it take an emergency fill-in for a centre half did it come to light that is the only position he was any good at?

To be fair he is really very good in that position - got a bit of pace, good in the air and reads the game well. All this is relative of course, but he is a decent league 2 centre back.

We obviously finished rock bottom of the Football League so any departures must be viewed in that light - none of them were very good in the great scheme of things.  
Posted by: aldi_01, May 19, 2021, 7:40pm; Reply: 44
I guess 12 decent games at centre half have gained him that contract.

Could his versatility at our level be seen as a positive? I mean he’s bang average at best in other areas but perhaps that’s what they’re after...
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 19, 2021, 7:50pm; Reply: 45
Hit a bit of form just as his contract was expiring.
Utterly shite in the first 18 months at the club, not bothered.
Posted by: Heisenberg, May 19, 2021, 8:31pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from DB
Good luck to him, he did a reasonable job for us and looks like he might be paired up with Menayese again. What we want are players who want to play Town and get us promoted.

I'm sure Hurst was not optimistic he would resign and will have others in mind for that position. We just have to be patient and wait. It's still early days and the NL hasn't finished yet.

What we do know is that Hurst knows how to build a team, a team with a spirit that plays for each other.

I can’t see it. Why would Clough keep Menayese? Does he keep the two centre backs who kept them up comfortably, or replace them both with the pairing that sent GTFC down? Nah.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 19, 2021, 10:43pm; Reply: 47
sorry. lot of red crosses coming, but there's an awful lot of bitter and twisted people on here.
Hewitt and Menayese were ,along with Coke & Matete, the main reasons behind our improvement in the last few months.
Most players were shiite under Holloway, and its fair play to Hurst and Hewitt that the latter's best position was found. Why would Hewitt stay, when he can play in a higher league, earning more money, probably link up with menayese with whom he's played really well, and be closer to home?
It's a complete no brainer
i just don't understand why people seem so bitter about it
good luck to him and i hope him and Menayese really prosper
Posted by: toontown, May 19, 2021, 10:51pm; Reply: 48
Yeah its a very easy decision for him, don't blame him in the slightest.

Does make you wonder just how much these professionals know when after a few games in at CB every fan could see that was easily his best position.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 19, 2021, 10:54pm; Reply: 49
Not sure people are being bitter about it, imho he was a dud for the majority of his contract.

Good luck to the lad he's got a job elsewhere in the league but frankly I think we need better than guy who played well in less than a quarter of his games for us.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 19, 2021, 11:05pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Not sure people are being bitter about it, imho he was a dud for the majority of his contract.

Good luck to the lad he's got a job elsewhere in the league but frankly I think we need better than guy who played well in less than a quarter of his games for us.

understand what you are saying, but Hurst is going to uncover a couple of absolute belters to improve upon the Hewitt & Menayese pairing ( would've cruised the National League) ; can you imagine going back to Waterfall and Pollock?
Posted by: davmariner, May 19, 2021, 11:14pm; Reply: 51
Don’t mind about this to be honest. Looked ok at centre back but has been pretty shite apart from the last 4 or so months of the season. Not the end of the world.

As far as I’m concerned, Hendrie can leave. He’s been poor.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 19, 2021, 11:15pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Hagrid

He did play well at centre-back but for much of his time he was a bit meh.
Posted by: TonySmith, May 19, 2021, 11:16pm; Reply: 53
   This thread reminds me of how people rationalize getting dumped. "Oh well, it's her loss. She wasn't that much to look at anyway."  I am very sorry to see Hewitt go. He's a footballer and  looked a cut above most league two center backs, in my opinion, as well as being versatile enough to fill in when needed at full back or in midfield. I was really hoping Hurst might find a way to keep the defense of the last three months or so together. It's certainly not their fault we couldn't score the goals to win games and a solid back line will be essential if we are to have any hope of immediate promotion.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 19, 2021, 11:20pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Crikey, have they moved Mansfield?

Do the people who live there know?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 19, 2021, 11:32pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from TonySmith
   This thread reminds me of how people rationalize getting dumped. "Oh well, it's her loss. She wasn't that much to look at anyway."  I am very sorry to see Hewitt go. He's a footballer and  looked a cut above most league two center backs, in my opinion, as well as being versatile enough to fill in when needed at full back or in midfield. I was really hoping Hurst might find a way to keep the defense of the last three months or so together. It's certainly not their fault we couldn't score the goals to win games and a solid back line will be essential if we are to have any hope of immediate promotion.

Was just about to say the same thing.

Oh she's a slag and he's a creep
She's a tart, he's very cheap
She is a slut, he thinks he's tough
She is a female dog, he is a puff
Yeah yeah, it's not fair
Yeah yeah, it's not fair
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 20, 2021, 3:48am; Reply: 56
Bye Hewitts
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 20, 2021, 6:07am; Reply: 57
Fair play to Hewitt. I know Mansfield pay above average money in L2, but turning down Salford (and the wages they pay) can’t be an easy thing to do for any lower league player.
Posted by: pen penfras, May 20, 2021, 8:24am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Completely agree with you, but it makes all the complaining about Vernam leaving seem a bit contradictory. He was pretty naff for 2 years before a 5 game spell that everybody then decided he needed keeping at al costs.
Posted by: ska face, May 20, 2021, 9:15am; Reply: 59
Quoted from TonySmith

Sorry but this is an absolutely mental, revisionist take which doesn’t seem to be grounded in any reality I’ve experienced. A cut above most L2 centre halves? I think we probably managed, at best, 3 clean sheets with him in the middle of the back 4 in nearly half a season.

As for versatility, the bloke lived off the back of 1 (one) half decent shift away at Scunthorpe in centre mid and he spent most of that game on his árse from what I can remember.

He was better than what came before him this season, but this sudden elevation of the bloke to the next Franco Baresi is unbelievable.  
Posted by: horsforthmariner, May 20, 2021, 9:19am; Reply: 60
Good luck to him. I'd preferred him to have stayed.

However, I not that upset. I think sometimes in organisations you need a pretty much wholesale clearout to re-invigorate the squad. Break up the losing mentality.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 20, 2021, 10:04am; Reply: 61
Quoted from ska face

Sorry but this is an absolutely mental, revisionist take which doesn’t seem to be grounded in any reality I’ve experienced. A cut above most L2 centre halves? I think we probably managed, at best, 3 clean sheets with him in the middle of the back 4 in nearly half a season.

As for versatility, the bloke lived off the back of 1 (one) half decent shift away at Scunthorpe in centre mid and he spent most of that game on his árse from what I can remember.

He was better than what came before him this season, but this sudden elevation of the bloke to the next Franco Baresi is unbelievable.  

Talk about exaggerating. The guy never said owt about Hewitt being too class. Just “a cut above” the average L2 centre back.

He might not be right about that, but Jesus, calm down.
Posted by: cannylad68, May 20, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 62
I think you will find that it was Ian Holloway who first played Hewitt at centre back.

It seems that Hurst gets all the credit for the good things on here.

I've £20 waiting to be matched that Hurst doesn't get us back into the Football League.
That doesn't include a 3rd. tenure.

First come first served.
Posted by: cannylad68, May 20, 2021, 10:35am; Reply: 63
If I win my bet, I will donate the £20 to the disabled supporters fund.
Posted by: Poojah, May 20, 2021, 10:37am; Reply: 64
Quoted from cannylad68
I think you will find that it was Ian Holloway who first played Hewitt at centre back.

I've £20 waiting to be matched that Hurst doesn't get us back into the Football League.

First come first served.

I'll take you up on that. I don't think it will necessarily be next season, but I do think we'll do it.
Posted by: Poojah, May 20, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 65
Quoted from cannylad68
If I win my bet, I will donate the £20 to the disabled supporters fund.

If I win my bet, I will spend it all on a very cheap and nasty hooker.
Posted by: Marinerdan, May 20, 2021, 10:39am; Reply: 66
Decent player and no issue at all with him moving to stay in the EFL.

As others have said its better that the decision has been made quickly as it gives Hurst more time to prepare for next season. Hurst has always been good at building solid defence units and I fully expect him to do the same for next year.
Posted by: Zmariner, May 20, 2021, 10:49am; Reply: 67
Disappointed that he has left but understand his reasons for doing so. Before he became a centre half I would’ve paid his taxi fair to leave as I thought he was poor But his transition was amazing and he was easily the best three players in a poor team utm
Posted by: Mayaman, May 20, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 68
Quoted from moosey_club

The run in to the end of his contract do you mean ? 😉

Well I know loads of people who put the brakes on coming to the end of their contract.

Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 20, 2021, 11:56am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Marinerdan
Decent player and no issue at all with him moving to stay in the EFL.

As others have said its better that the decision has been made quickly as it gives Hurst more time to prepare for next season. Hurst has always been good at building solid defence units and I fully expect him to do the same for next year.

Hes good at building defensive units because 9 out of every 11 he usually puts on the pitch first job is defend even when losing.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, May 20, 2021, 12:09pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from cannylad68
I think you will find that it was Ian Holloway who first played Hewitt at centre back..

Hewitt was announced as a versatile midfielder right back and centre back when he signed.
So Holloway wasnt the first manager to play him there.

Posted by: mimma, May 20, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 71
He looked good playing alongside Mayenese. Maybe that's why he's jumped at the chance to play alongside him at Mansfield.
Posted by: rancido, May 20, 2021, 1:26pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Poojah

For £20 she will be very cheap and decidedly nasty. You can't even get anything decent for that money in Pataya or Bulgaria - allegedly I hasten to add!!! 😉
Posted by: forza ivano, May 20, 2021, 3:18pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from ska face

bit unfair - nobody saying he is Baresi. fwiw i agree with tony, he looked like one of the better centre halves in the division in those last 3 months
Certainly Mansfield have got themselves an excellent, ready made partnership for absolute peanuts

What's frustrating for me is that we, even with that flawed team, ended the season with mid table form , and the consensus of opinion seems to be that the top NL teams rank with mid table Div 2.
We finished with a keeper who will be amongst the best in NL, a centre back partnership which would pisss non league, a central midfield who would probably be about the best in the division , plus 2 steady, decent enough full backs and Clifton who was showing the form of his life. . Three or four good offensive signings and you're looking at a really strong NL outfit.

Now we have McKeown and Clifton left, so need to completely rebuild and he requires a dozen top, top NL standard signings , and the need to build the team and team spirit from scratch

no blame attached, that's the way it is, but it's still pretty frustrating
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 20, 2021, 3:29pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from rancido

For £20 she will be very cheap and decidedly nasty. You can't even get anything decent for that money in Pataya or Bulgaria - allegedly I hasten to add!!! 😉

Blimey. Prices must have gone up since my last trip to Hamburg in 1990 (also allegedly of course) 😇
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 20, 2021, 3:32pm; Reply: 75
For the slating of him at right-back and in midfield, it could be that it's not really his position but rather he just gets asked to do a job there a lot.

I'm sure the argument is that professional managers would pick up his best position but the list of managers he's worked under isn't exactly stellar.

Regardless, in the heart of a defence he was impressive and if he's signing in that position for Mansfield they've made a good addition.  I think Mansfield away he was outstanding and the Mansfield commentators kept singling him out.  Wonder if that was where Clough noted him.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 20, 2021, 3:33pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from rancido

That Channel 4 documentary about the Scunthorpe sink estates (I think it was called Skint) suggested the going rate was £10 all in. But that was about  four years ago. It probably at least £11 now.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 20, 2021, 3:48pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Poojah

What? Twice?
Posted by: fishcake63, May 20, 2021, 5:13pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from mimma
He looked good playing alongside Mayenese. Maybe that's why he's jumped at the chance to play alongside him at Mansfield.

He will play alongside farand rawson who nigel clough plays every game , menayese will never be a regular under clough he clearly doesn't rate him & i think he's back up at best
Posted by: DB, May 20, 2021, 5:20pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Poojah

You might get one for free from Hull KR or Hull FC

and then you can give your winnings to the disabled supporters fund.

Posted by: rancido, May 21, 2021, 12:59pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Posh Harry

Blimey. Prices must have gone up since my last trip to Hamburg in 1990 (also allegedly of course) 😇

That was pre Brexit of course!
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 21, 2021, 1:32pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from cannylad68

First come first served.

If you're splitting hairs, Kevin Nolan used him as a CB at Notts and said that was where he saw him playing eventually.
Posted by: golfer, May 21, 2021, 1:41pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Bye Hewitts

If you are talking about the brewery they got taken over by Bass Charringtons a long time ago
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 22, 2021, 11:53am; Reply: 83
Quoted from Son of Cod

If you're splitting hairs, Kevin Nolan used him as a CB at Notts and said that was where he saw him playing eventually.

If I remember correctly, the Notts County fans weren't bothered he left them.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, May 22, 2021, 6:02pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from arryarryarry

If I remember correctly, the Notts County fans weren't bothered he left them.

He's spent a lot more time in the league in recent seasons than they have.....

Posted by: Abdul19, May 22, 2021, 9:03pm; Reply: 85
...in the relegation zone.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 22, 2021, 9:58pm; Reply: 86
Still higher than them though.
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 10:59pm