6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
May 13, 2021, 7:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Think he has recently moved houses locally so doubt he is about to go anywhere.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 56
Kris2
May 14, 2021, 7:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 123614

Back in the day when I played Centre Half, my keeper would come through me and anyone else in his way to catch the ball in his Penalty area.

In your day you probably could also clobber somebody in the box as a keeper and not commit a foul. Nowadays it's a foul if you slightly touch somebody  
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 56
Vance Warner
May 14, 2021, 9:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,797
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from 123614
Personally it wouldn't bother me at all if Macca left.  He's not the keeper people make him out to be  He was 16th in the League list for League 2 keepers season 20/21.I only including those keepers who played more than 30 game..  We all know he doesn't command his area well, something that could be a big problem next season, also his kicking is not good.  Personally I think he has lost confidence, but some of those faults have been around for a while now..  If f we look at keepers who had the same number of starts, or higher than him, he would only advance 4 places to 12th.

Don’t even know what those stats mean to be fair but can you name me a League 2 keeper with excellent kicking who commands his area?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 56
aldi_01
May 15, 2021, 7:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The criticism of Maccas form is fine, there are reasons for it, he himself admitted that it was partly his fault but this obsession with him commanding his area or having excrement kicking is tiresome...

He’s a good league 2 goalkeeper, he’s arguably saved us more points than lost us and when he’s been needed he’s been there. He isn’t Ederson, he isn’t Heaton or Buffon etc...don’t expect him to be.

So he doesn’t come for some crosses, so what? The defence should know that and adjust accordingly, as they did when Gowling/toto/Pearson/miller etc were here. I’d rather he stayed on his line and was available for the potential necessary save than come for something he’ll miss...

Similarly with kicking, we’re Grimsby town. As that flipping straw chewing idiot proved, we are not Man City, plying out from the back didn’t work, for the keeper or the outfield players. Fundamentally, all a keeper at our level needs to do is just kick really hard and really far in the vicinity of our players.

I’ve no doubt that should one be available Hurst will bring in a new keeper, if only to put pressure on Macca. Personally, I’d be more than happy with Macca, many of our fans have bleated on and wittered on about it being important that we have players that understand the club and the fans, know what it means...Macca embodies that...ironic that some of those people would want him gone...

Christ, I wonder if Liverpool fans are having the same discussion about Alison, look at Kepa at Chelsea...I think I’d rather have Macca...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 56
May 15, 2021, 8:41am
Guest User
Quoted from Kris2

In your day you probably could also clobber somebody in the box as a keeper and not commit a foul. Nowadays it's a foul if you slightly touch somebody  

How many times do you see a keeper being whistled up for a foul in his penalty area when coming to catch a high ball and colliding with other players, if he collides with his own players it's not a foul anyway.  Decisions almost always go in the keepers favour.

Reply: 54 - 56
May 15, 2021, 8:44am
Guest User
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Many on here fall in to the trap of he’s a good bloke he’s a good pro which is correct on both counts I’m told but all I’m bothered about is he a good goal keeper imo we need better.  

This I 100% agree with.
Reply: 55 - 56
Kris2
May 15, 2021, 7:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from aldi_01
The criticism of Maccas form is fine, there are reasons for it, he himself admitted that it was partly his fault but this obsession with him commanding his area or having excrement kicking is tiresome...

He’s a good league 2 goalkeeper, he’s arguably saved us more points than lost us and when he’s been needed he’s been there. He isn’t Ederson, he isn’t Heaton or Buffon etc...don’t expect him to be.

So he doesn’t come for some crosses, so what? The defence should know that and adjust accordingly, as they did when Gowling/toto/Pearson/miller etc were here. I’d rather he stayed on his line and was available for the potential necessary save than come for something he’ll miss...

Similarly with kicking, we’re Grimsby town. As that flipping straw chewing idiot proved, we are not Man City, plying out from the back didn’t work, for the keeper or the outfield players. Fundamentally, all a keeper at our level needs to do is just kick really hard and really far in the vicinity of our players.

I’ve no doubt that should one be available Hurst will bring in a new keeper, if only to put pressure on Macca. Personally, I’d be more than happy with Macca, many of our fans have bleated on and wittered on about it being important that we have players that understand the club and the fans, know what it means...Macca embodies that...ironic that some of those people would want him gone...

Christ, I wonder if Liverpool fans are having the same discussion about Alison, look at Kepa at Chelsea...I think I’d rather have Macca...

Even the best keepers in the world make costly mistakes and have bad runs of form. de Gea has come in for a lot of criticism this season for patchy form and it's not like if we get somebody else they'll play much better than what we have. Playing out from the back and dicking around in the box cost us a ton of goals and created mistakes because players in L2 just don't have those abilities  and that's why people play like they do. Teams play some good football but nobody is doing that tapping around high pace stuff out the box, was great for possession but we never knew what to do with it and the other team just had to wait for the inevitable mistake. Macca returned to some form after Hurst returned and he had some time on the bench to recover lost confidence, by the time he came back the team were playing in a way that doesn't constantly put him under pressure as we did under Holloway. Also didn't help how much the team was chopped and changed so understanding each other and gelling went out the window.

I do think we need another keeper who is capable of fighting for that first team spot but I'm not expecting us to find somebody with top quality kicking and command of area along with being a great shot stopper willing to play in NL or L2, that just doesn't happen. A good young keeper on loan maybe but they can be good or bad options. Just a second keeper who could play regularly and isn't just a cheap option like a goalkeeper coach who is obviously just a backup for desperate times.

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.