6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Kris2
May 13, 2021, 3:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Only way he's going is if the club want to get rid and force him out. Seems like Hurst would be happy for him to stay even if he wouldn't be first choice and I imagine he would be too as his family is settled in the area and it's where his kids have grown up and have all their friends. Was a major factor in turning down a good offer to move clubs before signing a new deal with us.

I would be fine with him staying and think he gets more stick than he deserves at times from a small section of the supporters. One of those players who has the same few armchair goalkeepers or Sunday league heroes on his case for every single goal when it's often not his fault. He's had his calamity James moments but he's also kept us in games by pulling out a great save more often than not.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 13, 2021, 4:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178

The first £100k is usually tax free (subject to conditions)

Is one of the conditions it stays in the brown bag hidden under the mattress?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
Belfast Town
May 13, 2021, 5:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,689
Gold Stars: 19

The first £100k is usually tax free (subject to conditions)

Correct.  

https://www.gov.uk/government/.....porting-testimonials
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
aldi_01
May 13, 2021, 6:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Macca is a decent keeper but Hurst made it clear this year that he was prepared to switch him out, especially if form was a problem.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
May 13, 2021, 10:26am
Guest User
Quoted from Kris2
Only way he's going is if the club want to get rid and force him out. Seems like Hurst would be happy for him to stay even if he wouldn't be first choice and I imagine he would be too as his family is settled in the area and it's where his kids have grown up and have all their friends. Was a major factor in turning down a good offer to move clubs before signing a new deal with us.

I would be fine with him staying and think he gets more stick than he deserves at times from a small section of the supporters. One of those players who has the same few armchair goalkeepers or Sunday league heroes on his case for every single goal when it's often not his fault. He's had his calamity James moments but he's also kept us in games by pulling out a great save more often than not.

Was that after he threw his toys out the pram because he got dropped and requested to be put on the transfer list?  I think a lot of managers may have let him go after that.

Just asking............

Reply: 34 - 56
Poojah
May 13, 2021, 11:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,465
Gold Stars: 1,500
Easy to write Macca off after a very poor patch last season, but I think it's important we retain his services. It's easy to forget that in addition to the gross mismanagement he received from Holloway, he also had Covid early in the season. Only he will know how that affected him.

Last year was difficult for goalkeepers in general as it's a particularly difficult position to train for in isolation when we were deep in early lockdown, and whilst this is true for all 'keepers lets not forget that we consciously gave all our players every disadvantage in the shape of a woefully inadequate pre-season. There's no doubt he lost his mojo and was rightly dropped for Eastwood when Hurst came in, however this was at least done empathetically and he had regained form by the time he was back in the team.

Mitigating factors aside, I think it's more important than some recognise to have people in the dressing room with some affinity with the club. I felt very disconnected with the players wearing the shirt last season for more reasons than one, and if we are going to set off on the right foot in terms of building a positive, long-term culture then it helps to have someone who has been here for some time, genuinely cares and understands the DNA of the club and its fanbase. I felt the difference players like Coke and LJL made in terms of their attitude was palpable when they came in - these things do have value.

As a goalkeeper he's not technically perfect - that's why he's never meaningfully played beyond League Two. He's clearly an emotional guy and that's been known to impact his form, but managed correctly I believe he's going to be one of the best goalkeepers in the National League next season. If we can find someone markedly better and it makes budgetary sense then by all means we should explore that, but I think that might be harder than many think.

People will inevitably degree with some or all of this, but on a personal note I'll be happy if he's between the sticks come August. The fact he's been our custodian during the most troubling decade in this club's long history is unfortunate for him, but that shouldn't detract to his endeavours and many positive contributions during his time here.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
Kris2
May 13, 2021, 12:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 123614

Was that after he threw his toys out the pram because he got dropped and requested to be put on the transfer list?  I think a lot of managers may have let him go after that.

Just asking............

No, it was when his contract was coming up and Motherwell made him a really good offer to sign for them. Ultimately for family reasons he chose to sign a new deal with us rather than uproot to Scotland. Is this why you whinge about him constantly? One little situation that had more to do with Bignot and things going on behind the scenes than "throwing his toys out the pram", it's worth getting the facts before making judgements. Hurst almost took him to Shrews actually on deadline day but Fenty and Bignot held them up for more money at the last minute after agreeing a fee so maybe you can blame them for the fact he's still at the club.

Really don't understand the vendetta and obsession some people have with the idea of "loyalty". It's a job and if you start hating your boss or the staff at the place you'd probably look to leave too.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
Hagrid
May 13, 2021, 1:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,373
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Kris2

No, it was when his contract was coming up and Motherwell made him a really good offer to sign for them. Ultimately for family reasons he chose to sign a new deal with us rather than uproot to Scotland. Is this why you whinge about him constantly? One little situation that had more to do with Bignot and things going on behind the scenes than "throwing his toys out the pram", it's worth getting the facts before making judgements. Hurst almost took him to Shrews actually on deadline day but Fenty and Bignot held them up for more money at the last minute after agreeing a fee so maybe you can blame them for the fact he's still at the club.

Really don't understand the vendetta and obsession some people have with the idea of "loyalty". It's a job and if you start hating your boss or the staff at the place you'd probably look to leave too.

took me 2 months of my boss singling me out and being a girl private to me to go to HR and ultimately leave- i dont blame Macca at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
HertsGTFC
May 13, 2021, 1:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
I'm not sure I get the recent pages on this thread or at least the ones after the retained list has now come out.

Whatever people may think about Macca and their entitled to their opinion we'll be going into next season with an experienced keeper who knows what it takes to get back into the EFL.

I get that he may have flaws but all keepers do however he's still decent and that would have been the assessment if we'd stayed in the league.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
ska face
May 13, 2021, 1:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,611
Gold Stars: 840
A keeper who wants to catch a cross please.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.