TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 4, 2021, 2:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner
You’re probably right RRFC. I think we’d vent our spleen whatever they did or didn’t say. But there could well be a difference to how we feel about it afterwards if there was an honest acceptance of responsibility. We’d have still been mad, but we’d cool down afterwards much sooner.

The other factor is it’s still all pretty mealy mouthed as Fenty is walking away with every penny he put in and £200k on top. Money the club could do with right now.

Sad though that is Kingston, we would have accepted that penalty months ago if we could have had this outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Y11hwjMNs

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 95
aldi_01
May 4, 2021, 2:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Am I surprised? Not really...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 95
TownSNAFU5
May 4, 2021, 3:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,877
Gold Stars: 42
The writing was on the wall when we were beaten in the FAC by 2 goals by a very poor NL team.  A team who had only just managed that number of goals in the league all season.

The fact that the Board decided, in their wisdom, to issue yet another statement explains why we have failed (again).  Talk about burying their collective heads in the sand.

If they were the owners of the Titanic they would have defended the ship saying it was fit for purpose and fully-seaworthy.  Saying that it met British Standards.  It still sank without trace.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 95
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
May 4, 2021, 3:12pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
One amazing thing is they still don’t get it, they think people will listen to those mealy-mouthed far fetched excuses and think, oh right, they weren’t so bad then, we have been wrong to want them out of the club! A truly pitiful final act among so many.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 95
RichMariner
May 4, 2021, 3:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I'm not as agitated by that statement as others on here have been, but maybe that's because I didn't expect anything other than the usual list of reasons why nothing was the board's fault.

John Fenty walks away with £2.5m, which is £200k more than he put in.

If only we, the fans, had kept track of every penny we put into the football club over the last 17 years, and how literally none of us have ever demanded — or ever will demand — our money back.

We are the principle funders of this great, historic football club. We *are* the football club. And look where we are, and what we've been left with, because of the complete ineptitude of a small group of men calling themselves 'custodians'.

Their one role was to take good care of this football club. Like Poojah said earlier, this was them trying. Good grief.

That statement was their one last attempt to deflect the blame. I fully expected they would. Technically there were two apologies in there. Passive, as always, and with caveats. We're sorry, but it wasn't really our fault.

Except it was. Every last dirty bit of it.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 64 - 95
rancido
May 4, 2021, 4:18pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
They (Fenty, Day or both) appear to try to to get some kudos from the fact that all the taxes, NI contributions etc have been paid. Surely that is a basic situation that any responsible business should do? I don't care what other clubs have done during this pandemic as regards finances, I only  care about GTFC's approach.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 95
GrimRob
May 4, 2021, 4:33pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from rancido
They (Fenty, Day or both) appear to try to to get some kudos from the fact that all the taxes, NI contributions etc have been paid. Surely that is a basic situation that any responsible business should do? I don't care what other clubs have done during this pandemic as regards finances, I only  care about GTFC's approach.

There's plenty of precedent in football for clubs not having done so. Possibly other clubs in our division. But there was still plenty of scope for us not to finish a lot higher than we did, even with the budget we had. The other clubs were a bit smarter in how they dealt with the same problems. We started the season in appalling shape, basic things like fitness were weeks behind where they should have been. That should have been a red flag that we had left the club in charge of an incompetent madman.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 95
forza ivano
May 4, 2021, 4:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,167
Gold Stars: 265
maybe we should ask Hollowhead for his take on the statement - always 2 sides to every story.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 95
Teestogreen
May 4, 2021, 4:50pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
Have read all the ‘spleen venting’ for the club statement - and find most of it very justifiable.
Going forward - as fans - we hope that, if the vote goes in favour of the takeover tomorrow, the chaps in control of the private limited company will make decisions causing a rapid upturn in Towns fortunes.
UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 95
rancido
May 4, 2021, 4:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from forza ivano
maybe we should ask Hollowhead for his take on the statement - always 2 sides to every story.......

No, there are 3 sides - yours, theres and the truth! To use a statement once used in politics "they (the Board) couldn't run a whelk stall".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Board Statement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.