Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any hope?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 291 Guests

Any hope?

This thread currently has 6,555 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 21, 2021, 9:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
I can see a team winning their last 4 games to clinch an improbable stay of execution. I just can't see this team doing it. We can't score the goals needed. We've had loads of chances to do so and missed most of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
joe56
April 21, 2021, 10:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
I can see a team winning their last 4 games to clinch an improbable stay of execution. I just can't see this team doing it. We can't score the goals needed. We've had loads of chances to do so and missed most of them.

You’re right ginny. If we’d put away even half our chances this season, we’d be well in the clear by now. I couldn’t help thinking on Tuesday evening that one failing in particular in front of goal is the inability to hit the target from the edge of the area. Almost always, the ball is ballooned way over the bar to the extent that we’ve come to expect it. It beggars belief that professional footballers haven’t learned to get their head over the ball to keep it down, and lean back if they want to get some loft on it. These are two of the most fundamental skills of the game, and among the first things we were taught as kids.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2021, 11:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I thought our problem was not creating enough chances until recently. Not missing them.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
arryarryarry
April 22, 2021, 12:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
The easiest way to avoid relegation is to get more points than 2 other teams in the league. We haven't done that.

Sadly, some on here think it's all about getting a load of draws.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
FishOutOfWater
April 22, 2021, 12:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from joe56

You’re right ginny. If we’d put away even half our chances this season, we’d be well in the clear by now. I couldn’t help thinking on Tuesday evening that one failing in particular in front of goal is the inability to hit the target from the edge of the area. Almost always, the ball is ballooned way over the bar to the extent that we’ve come to expect it. It beggars belief that professional footballers haven’t learned to get their head over the ball to keep it down, and lean back if they want to get some loft on it. These are two of the most fundamental skills of the game, and among the first things we were taught as kids.

Sadly on Tuesday, when for once Lenny connected perfectly with that shot just before half time, the Morecambe keeper pulled off an absolutely brilliant save

I'd say his strike was just as good as the one that Luke Spokes scored with against Barrow except this time it didn't hit the back of the net

It is what it is.... our strikers are just so hit and miss and usually with the emphasis on the miss
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 32
Bristol Mariner
April 22, 2021, 6:48am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Obi Wan is our only hope

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
Les Brechin
April 22, 2021, 11:44am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Lose at Oldham on Saturday and we are down, irrespective of other teams's results.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
pen penfras
April 22, 2021, 12:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
What I would like to know, is how on earth the EFL will allow two of its long-standing members to be relegated to a league that has been a farce for months.

How can we be relegated to a league, in which the members of the said league could not suffer relegation themselves? It makes a mockery of fair competition. The clubs taking our place in the EFL will have done so by playing against some clubs who did not care less about the result of their matches as if they were in the lower half of the league, as they knew they could not be relegated. Nice work if you can get it.

I am surprised there has not been a legal challenge to at least ask the question.

But that's not really unfair on any teams in this division, it's unfair on the teams in the NL. Any promotion chasing team that dropped points to a team early on who has since been able to furlough or offload their players to save money with no threat of relegation is where the legal challenge should come in.

From our point of view, the question is that some clubs couldn't fulfill their season at that level because of the financial position they were put in. If this can't be guaranteed to be avoided again, then lots of teams might do the same and we wouldn't have a competition to play in. There won't be enough data to know for sure by the start of the season what effect the vaccine will have on allowing fans in without distancing, so there's an argument that we shouldn't go down. But it's clutching at straws and I can't see it happening.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
lew chaterleys lover
April 22, 2021, 5:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from pen penfras

But that's not really unfair on any teams in this division, it's unfair on the teams in the NL. Any promotion chasing team that dropped points to a team early on who has since been able to furlough or offload their players to save money with no threat of relegation is where the legal challenge should come in.

From our point of view, the question is that some clubs couldn't fulfill their season at that level because of the financial position they were put in. If this can't be guaranteed to be avoided again, then lots of teams might do the same and we wouldn't have a competition to play in. There won't be enough data to know for sure by the start of the season what effect the vaccine will have on allowing fans in without distancing, so there's an argument that we shouldn't go down. But it's clutching at straws and I can't see it happening.

Fair points but I would most definitely argue that it is unfair and unjust that clubs can take our place in the Football league that have been able to play teams who have no fear of relegation, the rules having changed midway during the season. The competition for a coveted place in the Football league has been compromised and the minute that happened the EFL should have stepped in.

Of course we have been rubbish. Of course we have brought it all on ourselves due to the running of the club but I still would argue the competition and rules to replace us in the Football league should have been as stringent as those we have had to adhere to in League 2 to ensure everything is fair and above board.

I don't suppose it will be challenged but it should have been the moment the NL decided to change the rules.  
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
Marinerdeano
April 22, 2021, 8:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Right let's at least win on Saturday and Tuesday. Colchester don't play on Tuesday so if they don't beat Cheltenham away on Saturday we are still in it with 2 games to go. What I'm trying to say is let's win our games and see what happens. Don't want to fully give up even of it is better for the health!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any hope?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.