Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Marinerdeano, April 21, 2021, 12:01pm
Recent tweets about a League two club with £30m debts facing administration and 12 point deduction. How reliable were those sources? Was there any credence in this? I know I am clutching but if this was to happen we are not likely to know until the end of the season, meaning maintaining a gap of no more than 11 points on presumably Colchester. I know I am clutching at straws here but maybe there's no smoke without fire.
Posted by: Hagrid, April 21, 2021, 12:11pm; Reply: 1
nah no hope, its gone mate
Posted by: Mrbump53, April 21, 2021, 12:16pm; Reply: 2
The owner of the club with the £30m debt has publicly stated that those debts are not required to be repaid this season of in one season and they are working to restructure the debt over a longer term so that there is no issues or risk of going into administration.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 21, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 3
Let it go and move on......we'll be in the NL next season.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 21, 2021, 12:56pm; Reply: 4
What I would like to know, is how on earth the EFL will allow two of its long-standing members to be relegated to a league that has been a farce for months.

How can we be relegated to a league, in which the members of the said league could not suffer relegation themselves? It makes a mockery of fair competition. The clubs taking our place in the EFL will have done so by playing against some clubs who did not care less about the result of their matches as if they were in the lower half of the league, as they knew they could not be relegated. Nice work if you can get it.

I am surprised there has not been a legal challenge to at least ask the question.
Posted by: scrumble, April 21, 2021, 1:03pm; Reply: 5
What I would like to know, is how on earth the EFL will allow two of its long-standing members to be relegated to a league that has been a farce for months.

How can we be relegated to a league, in which the members of the said league could not suffer relegation themselves? It makes a mockery of fair competition. The clubs taking our place in the EFL will have done so by playing against some clubs who did not care less about the result of their matches as if they were in the lower half of the league, as they knew they could not be relegated. Nice work if you can get it.

I am surprised there has not been a legal challenge to at least ask the question.

Dover just stopped playing altogether. But for your answer you just need to ask, do you really think the clubs further up than us really give a crap about whether the two teams going done are any better than the ones coming up, and do they car either way. The answer is a clear no.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 21, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 6
Whilst I don't disagree that it's a farce going into a league that is run in such an appalling manner, we have to accept our fate.

If the club had been so bothered about not falling through that trapdoor again, having already experienced first half how horrible it is down there, they really should have put better things in place to prevent it.

We had a stark warning in 2018 and we ignored it.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 21, 2021, 1:17pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from scrumble

Dover just stopped playing altogether. But for your answer you just need to ask, do you really think the clubs further up than us really give a crap about whether the two teams going done are any better than the ones coming up, and do they car either way. The answer is a clear no.

It's not a question of what teams above us think. The EFL is the governing body of the football league clubs and they have a duty to look after members interests. They should have acted as soon as it became apparent that the National league were not playing in accordance with their own rules, which should have made promotion from that league impossible unless they were able to complete the season properly with relegation as part of it.

Basically, they should have told them that if there is no relegation from your league then there won't be relegations from ours.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 21, 2021, 1:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from diehardmariner
Whilst I don't disagree that it's a farce going into a league that is run in such an appalling manner, we have to accept our fate.

If the club had been so bothered about not falling through that trapdoor again, having already experienced first half how horrible it is down there, they really should have put better things in place to prevent it.

We had a stark warning in 2018 and we ignored it.

I know all that, but the thread is about is there any zany ways of avoiding the inevitable.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 21, 2021, 1:45pm; Reply: 9

I know all that, but the thread is about is there any zany ways of avoiding the inevitable.

No is the answer
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 21, 2021, 1:57pm; Reply: 10
The easiest way to avoid relegation is to get more points than 2 other teams in the league. We haven't done that.
Posted by: joe56, April 21, 2021, 2:59pm; Reply: 11
The easiest way to avoid relegation is to get more points than 2 other teams in the league. We haven't done that.

I know I’ll be laughed out of court for saying this, but it isn’t over yet. We’re long odds on not to to win our remaining four games, but I’ve been following football for long enough to know that it’s not without precedent. If we did, it’s quite possible we’d survive. We could overtake Barrow or Scunthorpe if they managed no more than a couple of draws along with two defeats in their remaining four games, and Colchester if they did no better than a draw and two defeats in their remaining three games. Each of these scenarios is quite possible. I know that come Saturday evening it’s very likely that we’ll have been relegated, but we shouldn’t throw the towel in until it’s mathematically certain.
Posted by: Marinerdeano, April 21, 2021, 3:09pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from joe56

I know I’ll be laughed out of court for saying this, but it isn’t over yet. We’re long odds on not to to win our remaining four games, but I’ve been following football for long enough to know that it’s not without precedent. If we did, it’s quite possible we’d survive. We could overtake Barrow or Scunthorpe if they managed no more than a couple of draws along with two defeats in their remaining four games, and Colchester if they did no better than a draw and two defeats in their remaining three games. Each of these scenarios is quite possible. I know that come Saturday evening it’s very likely that we’ll have been relegated, but we shouldn’t throw the towel in until it’s mathematically certain.

Win Saturday and then see who out of the 3 are still catchable. Repeat X2 and take it to the last day potentially.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 21, 2021, 3:12pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from joe56

I love your optimism, if your right I will eat humle pie (well a PUKKA steak pie really) Its a ridiculas idea that we will escape by winning points. Only way we will stay up is if relegation is cancelled or teams have big points deductions.
Posted by: geir, April 21, 2021, 3:49pm; Reply: 14

No hope. It would take a miracle of biblical proportions. We are not so lucky.
Better get used to the idea of Conference football once more.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 21, 2021, 4:03pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from joe56

I admire your optimism. I cannot see us winning 4 games in a row. I also can't see Barrow and Colchester winning 4 in a row but they don't have to.

Posted by: DB, April 21, 2021, 6:25pm; Reply: 16

It's not a question of what teams above us think. The EFL is the governing body of the football league clubs and they have a duty to look after members interests. They should have acted as soon as it became apparent that the National league were not playing in accordance with their own rules, which should have made promotion from that league impossible unless they were able to complete the season properly with relegation as part of it.

Basically, they should have told them that if there is no relegation from your league then there won't be relegations from ours.

The other thing is that the EFL should not be sending any clubs into a league that 1 club, Dover, has stopped playing in and many other clubs have signed a letter of no confidence in the board.

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 21, 2021, 6:36pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from joe56

It’s certainly not impossible Joe

I recall many years ago Coventry having to win four or more games on the trot at the end of the season to stay in the top flight

Against all the odds they did it so as I say it’s not impossible but in our case it’s more improbable

Whatever the outcome from our last few games I hope the players show some professional pride

Chances are most of them won’t wear our stripes again but they’ll be held in higher regard by us fans if they’re still battling for what might already be a lost cause

UTM GTID
Posted by: RonMariner, April 21, 2021, 7:27pm; Reply: 18
In a word, No.

In two words, hell no.
Posted by: joe56, April 21, 2021, 7:47pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

It’s certainly not impossible Joe

I recall many years ago Coventry having to win four or more games on the trot at the end of the season to stay in the top flight

Against all the odds they did it so as I say it’s not impossible but in our case it’s more improbable

Whatever the outcome from our last few games I hope the players show some professional pride

Chances are most of them won’t wear our stripes again but they’ll be held in higher regard by us fans if they’re still battling for what might already be a lost cause

UTM GTID

Totally agree. I thought of Coventry, but there have been a few similar cases, the most recent bring Newport who won 6 of their last 9 games, only clinching it in the 89th minute of their last fixture. One thing I’ve learned from living among Yorkshiremen for much of my life is that you should never, ever give up! I’d like to think that’s a trait of Yellowbellies too. I just hope that the players haven’t bought into the idea that we’re already relegated. At least give it a go. It ain’t over til it’s over!😉

Posted by: ginnywings, April 21, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 20
I can see a team winning their last 4 games to clinch an improbable stay of execution. I just can't see this team doing it. We can't score the goals needed. We've had loads of chances to do so and missed most of them.
Posted by: joe56, April 21, 2021, 10:29pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings
I can see a team winning their last 4 games to clinch an improbable stay of execution. I just can't see this team doing it. We can't score the goals needed. We've had loads of chances to do so and missed most of them.

You’re right ginny. If we’d put away even half our chances this season, we’d be well in the clear by now. I couldn’t help thinking on Tuesday evening that one failing in particular in front of goal is the inability to hit the target from the edge of the area. Almost always, the ball is ballooned way over the bar to the extent that we’ve come to expect it. It beggars belief that professional footballers haven’t learned to get their head over the ball to keep it down, and lean back if they want to get some loft on it. These are two of the most fundamental skills of the game, and among the first things we were taught as kids.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 21, 2021, 11:30pm; Reply: 22
I thought our problem was not creating enough chances until recently. Not missing them.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 22, 2021, 12:01am; Reply: 23

Sadly, some on here think it's all about getting a load of draws.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 22, 2021, 12:15am; Reply: 24
Quoted from joe56

You’re right ginny. If we’d put away even half our chances this season, we’d be well in the clear by now. I couldn’t help thinking on Tuesday evening that one failing in particular in front of goal is the inability to hit the target from the edge of the area. Almost always, the ball is ballooned way over the bar to the extent that we’ve come to expect it. It beggars belief that professional footballers haven’t learned to get their head over the ball to keep it down, and lean back if they want to get some loft on it. These are two of the most fundamental skills of the game, and among the first things we were taught as kids.

Sadly on Tuesday, when for once Lenny connected perfectly with that shot just before half time, the Morecambe keeper pulled off an absolutely brilliant save

I'd say his strike was just as good as the one that Luke Spokes scored with against Barrow except this time it didn't hit the back of the net

It is what it is.... our strikers are just so hit and miss and usually with the emphasis on the miss
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, April 22, 2021, 6:48am; Reply: 25
Obi Wan is our only hope
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 22, 2021, 11:44am; Reply: 26
Lose at Oldham on Saturday and we are down, irrespective of other teams's results.
Posted by: pen penfras, April 22, 2021, 12:32pm; Reply: 27

But that's not really unfair on any teams in this division, it's unfair on the teams in the NL. Any promotion chasing team that dropped points to a team early on who has since been able to furlough or offload their players to save money with no threat of relegation is where the legal challenge should come in.

From our point of view, the question is that some clubs couldn't fulfill their season at that level because of the financial position they were put in. If this can't be guaranteed to be avoided again, then lots of teams might do the same and we wouldn't have a competition to play in. There won't be enough data to know for sure by the start of the season what effect the vaccine will have on allowing fans in without distancing, so there's an argument that we shouldn't go down. But it's clutching at straws and I can't see it happening.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 22, 2021, 5:54pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from pen penfras

But that's not really unfair on any teams in this division, it's unfair on the teams in the NL. Any promotion chasing team that dropped points to a team early on who has since been able to furlough or offload their players to save money with no threat of relegation is where the legal challenge should come in.

From our point of view, the question is that some clubs couldn't fulfill their season at that level because of the financial position they were put in. If this can't be guaranteed to be avoided again, then lots of teams might do the same and we wouldn't have a competition to play in. There won't be enough data to know for sure by the start of the season what effect the vaccine will have on allowing fans in without distancing, so there's an argument that we shouldn't go down. But it's clutching at straws and I can't see it happening.

Fair points but I would most definitely argue that it is unfair and unjust that clubs can take our place in the Football league that have been able to play teams who have no fear of relegation, the rules having changed midway during the season. The competition for a coveted place in the Football league has been compromised and the minute that happened the EFL should have stepped in.

Of course we have been rubbish. Of course we have brought it all on ourselves due to the running of the club but I still would argue the competition and rules to replace us in the Football league should have been as stringent as those we have had to adhere to in League 2 to ensure everything is fair and above board.

I don't suppose it will be challenged but it should have been the moment the NL decided to change the rules.  
Posted by: Marinerdeano, April 22, 2021, 8:12pm; Reply: 29
Right let's at least win on Saturday and Tuesday. Colchester don't play on Tuesday so if they don't beat Cheltenham away on Saturday we are still in it with 2 games to go. What I'm trying to say is let's win our games and see what happens. Don't want to fully give up even of it is better for the health!
Posted by: Marinerdeano, April 25, 2021, 10:19pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Marinerdeano
Right let's at least win on Saturday and Tuesday. Colchester don't play on Tuesday so if they don't beat Cheltenham away on Saturday we are still in it with 2 games to go. What I'm trying to say is let's win our games and see what happens. Don't want to fully give up even of it is better for the health!

First part conquered. Just hope we can keep this going as long as possible. The emotions: resigned - acceptance - renewed hope, arghhh!
Posted by: immariner, April 25, 2021, 11:35pm; Reply: 31
Exeter won't be looking forward to facing us, that's for sure. They come into the game off the back of three 0-0 draws, having failed to win in 4 games. We come in off the back of 2 wins in 3 games and only 2 defeats in 12.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 26, 2021, 2:19pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from immariner
Exeter won't be looking forward to facing us, that's for sure. They come into the game off the back of three 0-0 draws, having failed to win in 4 games. We come in off the back of 2 wins in 3 games and only 2 defeats in 12.

You’ve killed my hope now. We all know that Town games always see the end of opposition runs. 😉

In fact they will see this (game against the bottom of the table team) as a chance to get back to winning ways.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:48am