Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any hope?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 134 Guests

Any hope?

This thread currently has 6,520 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 21, 2021, 1:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,988
Gold Stars: 283
The easiest way to avoid relegation is to get more points than 2 other teams in the league. We haven't done that.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 32
joe56
April 21, 2021, 2:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
The easiest way to avoid relegation is to get more points than 2 other teams in the league. We haven't done that.

I know I’ll be laughed out of court for saying this, but it isn’t over yet. We’re long odds on not to to win our remaining four games, but I’ve been following football for long enough to know that it’s not without precedent. If we did, it’s quite possible we’d survive. We could overtake Barrow or Scunthorpe if they managed no more than a couple of draws along with two defeats in their remaining four games, and Colchester if they did no better than a draw and two defeats in their remaining three games. Each of these scenarios is quite possible. I know that come Saturday evening it’s very likely that we’ll have been relegated, but we shouldn’t throw the towel in until it’s mathematically certain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 32
Marinerdeano
April 21, 2021, 3:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +366
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from joe56

I know I’ll be laughed out of court for saying this, but it isn’t over yet. We’re long odds on not to to win our remaining four games, but I’ve been following football for long enough to know that it’s not without precedent. If we did, it’s quite possible we’d survive. We could overtake Barrow or Scunthorpe if they managed no more than a couple of draws along with two defeats in their remaining four games, and Colchester if they did no better than a draw and two defeats in their remaining three games. Each of these scenarios is quite possible. I know that come Saturday evening it’s very likely that we’ll have been relegated, but we shouldn’t throw the towel in until it’s mathematically certain.

Win Saturday and then see who out of the 3 are still catchable. Repeat X2 and take it to the last day potentially.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 32
Madeleymariner
April 21, 2021, 3:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from joe56

I love your optimism, if your right I will eat humle pie (well a PUKKA steak pie really) Its a ridiculas idea that we will escape by winning points. Only way we will stay up is if relegation is cancelled or teams have big points deductions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 32
geir
April 21, 2021, 3:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

No hope. It would take a miracle of biblical proportions. We are not so lucky.
Better get used to the idea of Conference football once more.

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 32
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 21, 2021, 4:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,988
Gold Stars: 283
Quoted from joe56

I admire your optimism. I cannot see us winning 4 games in a row. I also can't see Barrow and Colchester winning 4 in a row but they don't have to.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 32
DB
April 21, 2021, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383

It's not a question of what teams above us think. The EFL is the governing body of the football league clubs and they have a duty to look after members interests. They should have acted as soon as it became apparent that the National league were not playing in accordance with their own rules, which should have made promotion from that league impossible unless they were able to complete the season properly with relegation as part of it.

Basically, they should have told them that if there is no relegation from your league then there won't be relegations from ours.

The other thing is that the EFL should not be sending any clubs into a league that 1 club, Dover, has stopped playing in and many other clubs have signed a letter of no confidence in the board.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 32
FishOutOfWater
April 21, 2021, 6:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from joe56

It’s certainly not impossible Joe

I recall many years ago Coventry having to win four or more games on the trot at the end of the season to stay in the top flight

Against all the odds they did it so as I say it’s not impossible but in our case it’s more improbable

Whatever the outcome from our last few games I hope the players show some professional pride

Chances are most of them won’t wear our stripes again but they’ll be held in higher regard by us fans if they’re still battling for what might already be a lost cause

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 32
RonMariner
April 21, 2021, 7:27pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,009
Gold Stars: 216
In a word, No.

In two words, hell no.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 32
joe56
April 21, 2021, 7:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

It’s certainly not impossible Joe

I recall many years ago Coventry having to win four or more games on the trot at the end of the season to stay in the top flight

Against all the odds they did it so as I say it’s not impossible but in our case it’s more improbable

Whatever the outcome from our last few games I hope the players show some professional pride

Chances are most of them won’t wear our stripes again but they’ll be held in higher regard by us fans if they’re still battling for what might already be a lost cause

UTM GTID

Totally agree. I thought of Coventry, but there have been a few similar cases, the most recent bring Newport who won 6 of their last 9 games, only clinching it in the 89th minute of their last fixture. One thing I’ve learned from living among Yorkshiremen for much of my life is that you should never, ever give up! I’d like to think that’s a trait of Yellowbellies too. I just hope that the players haven’t bought into the idea that we’re already relegated. At least give it a go. It ain’t over til it’s over!😉

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any hope?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.